Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Mellow Seas posted:

I expect a lot of blatantly, indefensibly false stories to pop up in right wing outlets over the next 15 months and then disappear once called out - and hey, if a few tens of thousands of people end believing, forever, that Biden forced a Gold Star family to pay for their daughter's corpse's airlift, that's just a cost of aggressive, hard-hitting journalism, right?

Fox has already settled one lawsuit around false reporting and is still defending another. A few more lawsuits may curb their appetite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

He died of pancreatic cancer, just about the worst way to go. I don't mind remembering him if it means we get a better treatment for that than the wildly expensive (and custom) treatment that exists.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Panfilo posted:

They've been leaning really hard on the genocidal rhetoric. If a terrorist attack happened in the US it would be named on the "open borders" Biden allowed.

They're also doing this thing where they insist you cannot separate Hamas from Palestinians, nor separate anti zionism from anti semitism. And keeping hysteria going about BLM by pointing out their support of Hamas.

If a major attack had happened during the Trump administration, it would have been blamed on Obama's border policies that Trump was in the process of "fixing".

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

OgNar posted:

They are going of on Greta Thunberg today because she posted an anti war image that had an octopus plushie in it.
Which others say is a tool to help the autistic but they claim it is a 'im a secret nazi' dogwhistle.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/greta-thunberg-octopus-palestine-israel-gaza-1234859322/
"Predictably, many criticized her post for failing to condemn the terrorist group Hamas’s Oct. 7 surprise on Israel, which left at least 1,400 people dead, many of whom were civilians. Perhaps less predictably, however, others focused on the octopus, interpreting it to be a kraken, a mythical, multi-tentacled sea beast that was occasionally used in Nazi iconography."

They hate her so much.

So wait....now the kraken is bad? But it wasn't when Sydney Powell that said to release it re: Trump's fake election BS?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Kale posted:

I'm still kind of awestruck by, especially considering how long right wing people have been going on about it, they're inability to articulate in any meaningful way what their grievance is with "woke culture", why anyone should really loving care beyond them bringing it up as a talking point at random when they seemingly have nothing else to talk about, or to even actually define "woke" other than that it apparently exists and everyone should be rejecting it. You kind of have to hand it to RWM grifters in selling people this particular grievance well and what looks to be the actual thought control being "force fed down people's throats" cause none of it makes any loving sense.

It doesn't need an articulable definition, it's strictly a form of political otherization.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

The Islamic Shock posted:

Trump... right about something? Feels weird man.

Larryb posted:

Huh, I actually agree with Donald Trump about something. Not sure how to feel about that

This couldn't possibly be anything to campaign against DeSantis, the only real challenger Trump has for 2024.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

bird food bathtub posted:

In the last three or four decades, when it comes to intel actions, the Israel alliance has been much closer to "With friends like these who needs enemies?" territory. I don't remember the specific ones but there were a few actions like, uhh, hackings or intel ops/spying, tech/knowledge thefts, stuff like that where the US has been targeted *BY* Israeli forces. Not in the subtle "friendly allied intel forces just keeping an eye on everyone, not you specifically" but stuff that really should have put a cramp in the alliance. Israeli support is just the baseline default in all situations political and going against that means pushing against the inertia of the entire system and making yourself the squeaky wheel target.

A big one has been selling US military technology to China. This has been going on for years and I don't think there's ever been a major backlash.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

just imagine that puffy clownshoe trying to do MMA. Just imagine it.

I'm imagining an updated version of the Steven Segal aikido video.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

They're usually too old for this to be what actually influences them, but whenever someone pulls out the "always check your corners and have a plan to escape" thing, I'm reminded of my college friends getting way too into Modern Warfare 2, it's kind of how they would talk.

Like it makes sense in the game's universe where you could conceivably kill a gunman who started shooting you from behind by sprinting as soon as you got shot for the first/second/third time, doing an elaborate crouch-dive to the side, and pulling up your SMG to riddle your assailant with bullets before they can adjust their aim. I'm pretty sure that strategy wouldn't work in real life very well, though.

A big thing that 99% of people don't acknowledge when they discuss these things is reacting under normal circumstances vs. stress. Fight or flight is a powerful response, and even with training, people gently caress it up all the time. Even with a perfect strategy, most folks will absolutely gently caress it up in some way or another just by following through imperfectly.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Discendo Vox posted:

What is the most elitist mustard? The least? What is the most conservative mustard, or the most leftist?

Most elitist mustard is probably something by Maille. Most conservative American mustard is French's yellow.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

FMguru posted:

Yeah, there are five semi-overlapping reasons people are running against Trump in the Republican primary, even though they know they're not going to beat him:

1) To be the designated replacement if Trump suffers a legal or medical issue that makes him incapable of running
2) To be Trump's VP
3) To get a job (cabinet, ambassador, etc) in his administration
4) To raise their profile for future media/political career opportunities
5) To protest Trump and argue that Republicans need to change course away from Trumpism (the rarest, only Christie is working this particular lane, and halfheartedly at that)

Most of the candidates are some combination of 1/2/3/4, which leads to those weird debates where everybody spends their time sucking up to the guy who they're ostensibly trying to defeat.

I don't think Ramaswamy fits into any of those, personally. I think he just wants to get as rich as possible as quickly as possible, but via private ventures and not politics or media - he wants to be a titan of industry in some way, shape or form. This is just the fastest way to build his personal brand and get the attention of other high profile Republicans who might invest with him, or get him involved in deals.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

The Question IRL posted:

This sounds like a combination of the AG's office saying "I just called up the Seatle hospitals and asked them to provide records.
No I didn't have any legal authority for doing so. I'd just hope that they'd do it because I am a person of authority making a request."
And the hospital saying "when we were asked to do this, we said no. And the Texas AG's office snarled and made lots of threats which were ultimately meaningless because we knew they didn't have any legal authority to make them."

Still pretty chilling stuff.

This. Paxton isn't known for making requests, I'd be willing to bet money his office was fairly aggressive - but turned tail pretty quickly when they were told to piss off.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

happyhippy posted:

There's also the fact that more and more are seeing through the mega churches, 10% tithing, and 'supply side Jesus' evangelists to be the scamming bastards.
Them openly begging to have a new Lear Jet that will end up using to go shopping in the Bahamas.
Locking the doors and going silent when floods or disasters occur.
Seeing your grandma get cancer and give it all away to someone who said the power of Christ will cure it and guaranteed because she and the evangelist both did a little dance on stage. Then she still died of said cancer.
Watching an Elder get a new house or pool extension from the tithing from the community while you can't make rent.
And of course the ever present, Diddling kids is bad! Oops guess who diddled kids!

This was a fairly significant moment in Houston, when Joel Osteen/Lakewood Church didn't open their doors during Harvey in 2017. It's one of the richest churches in the US, and the building itself is raised well above any potential flooding from even a major storm event. The amount of negative press they collected from that when drat near everyone else helped out if they had any opportunity to do so. It's also worth noting that Harvey was a turning point for the Red Cross, they absolutely poo poo the bed with that storm.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Space Fish posted:

Speaking of fentanyl... the prescription list from the Trump White House confuses me, as fentanyl appears at least twice. Why... is fentanyl just handed out like that? I thought its use case was "gets you super high and is super addictive, but will super kill you." So, again: why was it available?

Lawmakers have a history of making drugs far more accessible to themselves than anyone else. I haven't heard of previous admins making controlled substances like fentanyl accessible, but it wouldn't surprise me either - maybe not fentanyl specifically, but other narcotics or other easy to abuse pharmaceuticals.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

tacodaemon posted:

I wonder what specifically Billie Eilish and Ariana Grande did

Billie Eilish's breakout song was "Bad Girl" - which if you're a red blooded Republican, has some highly objectionable lyrics. Tipper Gore would not approve.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

OneEightHundred posted:

SF also has the NIMBY problem. "We don't want tall buildings ruining the atmosphere!"

This is basically true of every rich area in the US. All the people who ponied up for oceanfront property are lobbing complaints and lawsuits to block windfarms, VC billionaires saying that CA needs more affordable housing move to block it in their town, etc.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Anno posted:

I didn’t think Tucker could be any more pathetic, but this is just unbelievably sad. And all while daddy Putin dunks on him.

https://twitter.com/ronfilipkowski/status/1758115980759253306?s=46&t=IW0MSOWK0Lh4VsB3wVLoOA

This is possibly a direct reference to when Boris Yeltsin visited a grocery store near Houston, TX in 1989. He was there visiting NASA and a conversation was had about seeing how everyday people lived - given his experiences in the Soviet Union and the politburo vs. the ordinary citizens, his handlers took him to the nearest Randall's.

He was surprised by the experience, in the best way possible.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

BiggerBoat posted:

Wapo article

How everything became a ‘psyop’ for conservative media

https://news.yahoo.com/everything-became-psyop-conservative-media-150458273.html

This reminds me of the show 24, where each season they would latch on to some technical object or process and try to insert it into every episode to seem relevant. I think it was season 3 or 4 where everything had to be data mined - despite data mining being a relatively specific term.

Recovered hard drive from a terrorist laptop? Data mine that for me.
Broken cell phone found at the scene of a crime? Data mine that for me.
Chunk of metal found at the site of a bombing? Data mine that for me.
Witness to a crime 7 miles away from anything relevant to the show? Data mine them for me.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Didn't she marry into actual British aristocracy? House of Lords style?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

"Am I so out of touch? No, it's the children women who are wrong."

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Doing a bit of Googling about the Rittenhouse thing, and apparently there are ASVAB tutors. Wonders never cease.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I expect most of them will settle without admitting wrongdoing, while publishing a retraction in 6 point font in invisible letters on a page nobody can find on their respective sites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

FlamingLiberal posted:

He absolutely should sue Fox, I’m honestly surprised it took this long

No reason to rush the lawsuit until his legal team is ready. Preparation is key.