Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

This is a fantastic article thank you for providing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

What the gently caress kind of name is "Rexella"???

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

VideoTapir posted:

Fox employee says what everyone was thinking.

To be fair, Megyn Kelly is a very attractive woman.

e: If only she wasn't being used as a titty smoke screen...

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Neremworld posted:

I've never gotten the adoration that G. Gordon Liddy gets from right-wingers. He's literally a criminal scumbag who was in prison for four years for literally being the mastermind behind Watergate.

So is Oliver North for that matter. Ollie is a literal war criminal.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Relentless posted:

I don't think it was intentional, but it kinda turned into one when she interviewed Art Robinson in 2010.

This interview is the most amazing trainwreck ever.

Hooooly poo poo this guy has a persecution complex the like I've never seen in a person above the age of 16.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Spacedad posted:

And along comes this scumbag:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIF70HsfpAg

Yes, he was in fact, trying as hard as he could to provoke an assault and even deliberately inserted himself between two people who were arguing just so he could get punched. All to get a "UNION THUGS!!!" moment on camera.

This is neither the first time Fox has done this nor the most egregious. It is the first time that they have used a "correspondent" with a face so insanely smug and punchable that I don't blame the :siren:UNION THUG:siren: for singling his face out of a crowd after he got thrown to the ground.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Cordyceps Headache posted:

Obviously, since you couldn't more communist than the Smurfs.

The new Smurfs movie prequel is all about how Papa Smurf seized the hearts and minds of the proletariat.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Journalists Jeanette Moos make me wish LF was still around.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

whatis posted:

I had my first old-man moment about two months ago. I wrote an angry "letter to the editor" when I read an overly descriptive article detailing exactly how Hannah Anderson's mother and brother were tortured and killed on CNN.com.

I loving hate CNN so loving much

gently caress you old man. Get with the times, kids don't care about the in depth details of a brutal torture and murder of an innocent family thats MADE UP. It's gotta be real in depth details of a brutal torture and murder of an innocent family or I can't get it up anymore.

gently caress you and your race to the bottom CNN

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

The interesting thing about dyed in the wool conservatism is that if you claim to them that they are paranoid and distrustful, 99% of the time they agree and justify it with (INSERT ENDLESS STRING OF FOX NEWS TALKING POINTS)

E: I honestly don't know how to reach someone like that. I've tried for years with my mother and there is just no way. The world is constantly falling apart and trying to destroy her. (For reference she's a Cuban immigrant who grew up in Miami, so I understand where some of the misguided fear comes from)

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

This obamacare is actually a good thing because it will allow the country to see exactly how corrupt the system is! This will then spur on the grand objectivist revolution where we cast off the parasites and negroes!

gently caress it, why not. Let's spin the libertarians until they go out of orbit and into the sun.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

The problem with libertarianism is not that it is a step toward the river of progressive change, but rather that it's a selfish and emotional eddy that people get stuck in, expand and eventually subsume others in its disgusting brackish quagmire.

Libertarianism is lovely.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

I don't even.. :suicide:

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

You can look through the latest libertarian thread for a view into these people's minds. Trust me, that is not nearly the worst of it.

No thanks I'm plenty depressed

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

radical meme posted:

Mark Levin has become totally unhinged lately. I think the guy is close to a nervous breakdown. He bounces from "the evil Obama is forcing his will upon the people" to "Obama is an idiot and completely incapable of doing anything right". It's truly amazing. His most recent talking point is that Obama has destroyed America's historic support and application of the Monroe Doctrine. loving really? The Monroe Doctrine of all things. In Levin's world, reaching an agreement with Iran and letting China declare military flight restrictions over some lovely islands in the China Sea are both examples of pissing on the Monroe Doctrine.

What about this is new? Levin has always been conservative radio's weirdo uncle with histrionic personality disorder and a pathological liar.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Wow, it's really weird when you see something published that's 100%, no loving around, fingers-crossed-behind-the-back lying.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2013/11/25/fox-blames-obamacare-for-fictional-layoffs-at-c/197048

quote:

Fox News reported that the Cleveland Clinic was instituting "massive layoffs" due to the implementation of the Affordable Care Act, but when asked about the reports, a Clinic spokesperson told Media Matters, "We're not."

On November 25, The Daily Caller published an article titled, "Top U.S. hospital laying off staff due to Obamacare." On Fox Business' Markets Now, host Connell McShane reported on the "massive layoffs." America's Newsroom host Bill Hemmer claimed that the Cleveland Clinic was going to "shed workers." Later, during the America's News HQ, Fox reporter Chris Stirewalt claimed that the layoffs "rocked the community there in northeastern Ohio."

But there's one problem: the Cleveland Clinic is not laying off any employees. Eileen Sheil, Cleveland Clinic's Executive Director of Corporate Communications, said in an e-mail to Media Matters, "There have been several mis-reports and they keep mentioning that we're laying off 3,000 employees. We're not." Sheil explained that Cleveland Clinic is offering voluntary retirement to 3,000 eligible employees and that the Clinic is also "working on many initiatives to lower costs, drive efficiencies, reduce duplication of services across our system and provide quality care to our patients." Sheil continued, "Many of these initiatives do not impact our employees."

Sheil told Media Matters that Fox had been notified of its error and that the Cleveland Clinic requested Fox's future reporting on the issue more accurately present the Clinic's plans. According to a Media Matters search, Fox had not corrected its mistake by the time of publication.

Despite Fox's reporting, Sheil reiterated the Clinic's support for the Affordable Care Act, stating:

We believe reform is necessary because the current state is unsustainable. The ACA is a step toward that change and we believe more changes will come/evolve as there are still many uncertainties. Hospitals must be responsible and do what we can to prepare and support the law.

Fox's continued focus on the Cleveland Clinic is due, presumably, to President Obama's frequent praise of the hospital. In September, host Greta Van Susteren acknowledged the network's flawed reporting on the Cleveland Clinic after it was cited by U.S. Sen. John Barasso (R-WY) on her program.

For the record, I work with the Cleveland Clinic often and while they can be some money-grubbin jerks sometimes they are honestly one of the more respectable private institutions I've ever been associated with. A while back I recall their CEO suggested we should tax tobacco out of existence which tickled me. Still though, how the gently caress do you get "We are offering retirement packages to older employees" = " we are laying off grannies due to ACA" gently caress conservative media in its loving weird varicosity-dense rear end in a top hat

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Has anyone gone off on Obama getting heckled yesterday?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXud2p4fQfg

On the one hand, I could see them ignoring it since it was about immigration but on the other hand, "you lie!", anything that makes Obama look bad and all that poo poo. Plus, it seems like they could spin the President's response as "uppity". It wasn't, but they could.

That dang ol Obama, describing the balance of power accurately and not pretending he's some sort of Emperor. What an uppity jerk.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

The faster old conservatives die off the better. Ill be sad to see my parents go, but man, hopefully then things might actually get better.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Fixed.

Seems his contract was up and they reached a "mutual decision to part ways." So yeah, his ratings were probably poo poo (he was up against Rush) and also he is considering a 2016 run.

Huckabee doesn't provide the angertainment that some people (including us) thrive off of. He's too mellow. He's just as bad at the end of the day, but he doesn't express his sexist shitbag views with such clarity and smugness.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Von Sloneker posted:

He sounds like he's planning to run in 2016. I had no idea this was a thing until a few days ago when I saw him talking about it to Megyn Kelly.

Googling "ben carson running for president" brings up way more than I expected to find.

I may have brought this up already, or maybe someone else did, but there's a made for TV movie about him, with Cuba Gooding, Jr. in the lead role.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1295085/

In a tradition I intend to maintain, I have not seen it.

Man, Ben Carson drives me crazy. He's a literal genius doctor but his social views are just the worst. I suppose you don't grow up a seventh-day adventist and shed it so easily.

A literal quote of his from his prayer speech:

"PC is dangerous, because you see, this country, one of the founding principles was freedom of thought and freedom of expression. And it [PC] muffles people. It puts a muzzle on them."

From his thing on Hannity:
"Marriage is between a man and a woman. No group, be they gays, be they NAMBLA, be they people who believe in bestiality, it doesn't matter what they are. They don't get to change the definition."

That's right Dr. Carson, gays are literally the same as pedophiles and animal rapists. Yup!

On top of all of this I've had several med student buddies of mine both at Johns Hopkins and UMaryland say that hes a huge dick and he treats his subordinates like crap. I've heard stories about him browbeating surgery students at Johns Hopkins for not wanting to make as much money as possible for their services. If he does run for Pres in 2016, I don't think he'll make it past the first bit of primaries, he has a ton of baggage.

Beyond this I don't see him running a radio show. I think he'd rather be doing his whole neurosurgeon thing.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Ok ok. For television bashirs comment was out of line, but can we get a consensus that someone should poop on palin

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

max4me posted:

I can see how it happened. You have to get people emotionally engaged. So every year you do the war on christmas, and every year you have to make it bigger you have to be bigger cause you competing with people in your own organization, who might shout louder than you.

This was in response to something a black woman wrote about how she felt left out growing up cause all the major figures are white.

So you have war on christmas + race issues, remember the knock out game was just being pushed.

So you get angry to get your viewers angry and you tell them your drawing the line cause not compromising is a sign of character and STATE JESUS AND SANTA ARE WHITE.

which I think is stupid. I think O riley would have calmly and smoothy bent issue alot better.

The race angle could be played as

"I really feel for this woman and agree that the African American Community does have a problem. They have a lack of good role models for children to look up to. blah blah. I think its wrong to blame Santa for it blah blah"

In fact I am amazed she back peddled I thought the whole point of her being combative is draw the line the sand and defend christmas. Baiting people to call you out on it would be great way to validate the narrative that your under attack

Give Kelly a chance, she's only recently been wading around the kiddie pool off punditry. She'll find the right balance of ignorance and arrogance that made stars of hannity and oriley

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

My Q-Face posted:

That was the Vanderbilt-Whitney kid, and it was two years in oil fields in Texas. He was still somewhat vacuous, and yeah, he went back to his wealthy life afterwards, but he was the most sympathetic and self-aware of the group.

I watched that video, and as someone who married into wealth through my mother, all those kids are shitheads and I recognize each of those kids from the brief time I spent with my mother and her husbands friends' kids. They are mentally and socially deranged and for the most part, solidify into huge dickbags after they go through their "liberal youth" where they question if it's fair that they get infinite resources and pleasure at the expense of others.

e: gahh I just dredged up memories of going out to dinner with some of these cretins and basically being so loving embarrassed at the way they treated "the help". I'm pissing bile out of my eyes thinking about them.

e: also if another multiple mansion owner tells me that some working class guy is "richer than he is" because of his huge debt, I'm going to erupt into flames.

Rexicon1 fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Dec 15, 2013

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

:biotruths:

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Joementum posted:

A school in Albuquerque told students that they could come in dressed up as Santa, an elf, or a reindeer. Obviously, the War on Christmas is in full swing. Inevitably, someone had a problem with this display of holiday Christmas cheer.

Good call! The black children should obviously only be allowed to dress up as Santa's factory workers or as the animals pulling his sleigh. :waycool:

This makes me loving seethe

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Dr. Faustus posted:

Sorry, I was a little misleading by accident:

I meant to say, "That is an excellent point, and suddenly I wonder how many other breakthroughs WE either have, or could have, lost because of such denial of care and loss of life."

I didn't mean to make the comment specific to Dr. Hawking.

Haven't you been reading the thread? It doesn't loving matter what you say as long as it's from the heart*!

*only if your heart is white, Christian and rich of course

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

PUGGERNAUT posted:

This is such a dumbass argument. Older relatives are always like "when you have kids, you'll understand" or "you just don't know what it's like to protect your daughter".

The "when your older argument" is a way old people try to end a conversation and try to keep their self respect when they have nothing to retort with. I often just let my mother "win" with that one and try not to strangle each other over holidays. It's the only way not to implode into a black hole of infinite frustration.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

Eventually you get old enough that it doesn't work. But you have to get into your 30's, have a kid and a mortgage, cut checks to pay taxes, the usual trapping of full on adulthood.

It is sort of nice, because then people just agree to disagree.

Have pretty much all those things save the kid part. Unless something magical happens next year when I turn thirty, I still suspect my mom will ask me to wait til I'm older.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Bitcoins are tremendously stupid and woe be the schlub who isn't one of three people that gets wealthy from them.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

I should clarify: the gentlemen who will make money off of bitcoins will not have any considerable fortune invested in them. They just benefit from the existence of the market.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Bubbles are the most effective form of capital redistribution known to man. It's just happens to redistribute it to the rich. They are like weird mirror images of Robin Hood.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

joeburz posted:

The libertarians I know contend that progressive economic policies, and most specifically minimum wage, are used to deliberately lower employment levels of minorities. Because if only companies were allowed to employ minorities for a fraction of the current wage floor, the plight of the downtrodden and disenfranchised in the US would be solved.

This is what real people going to engineering grad school or law school believe. :bang:

edit: when i say deliberately, i mean they actually have used the word racist to describe min wage as if it is a nefarious racism-based plot to mandate workers are paid more.

For what it's worth, I'm in grad school and am dating a law student, and I have yet to meet anyone who isn't a tremendous neck beard who believes this kind of nonsense. I just hope that extrapolates further than my little bubble so I don't loving implode with rage.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

HipGnosis posted:

I know that a lot of people feel that progressive social policies for minorities (and women) "remove the individual's agency." Affirmative action or quotas or providing birth control or providing abortions is the "nanny state" treating minorities and women like less than human. Like improving inner city schools, so that they have, you know, teachers, is going to get in the way of little Intergenerational Poverty Johnny or Jane bootstrapping their way to success.

In the Feminism thread, we were just discussing the Very Wrong View that we live in a truly meritorious society. I mean, people really believe that. Obviously for a lot of actors, white males ones, maintaining this view is very important

I have this sneaking suspicion that all of this bullshit stems from some Protestant thinker misattributing the "teach a man to fish quote" to Jesus and running with it until it's mutated into some maddening just world fallacy.

I guess my response to "removing the persons agency" is what inherent power personal agency provides that supersedes the limitations of someone's ability to live out of constant fear. Perhaps that fear in itself is supposed to be a motivating factor rather than a paralyzing one. None of these premises hold up under the lightest scrutiny so the only reasonable answer at this point is to attribute it to god and then fart all the way to the bank.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Mental illness is a serious issue in America. I feel slightly bad for the white genocide guy.

icantfindaname posted:

You can concern troll and point out that he was somewhat sympathetic to communists, especially Cuba and North Vietnam. Alternatively you can point out that beloved conservative icon Jesse Helms ran a filibuster to prevent MLK Day from becoming a holiday under Reagan.

I don't think most conservatives give a flying gently caress about MLK anyways. There's a reason Jesse Helms is a conservative hero.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

mastervj posted:

The standard answer I've often heard is that very few Spanish / White women actually went over there. And people, being people, hosed themselves into a brownish tint.

Why are people suggesting that there isn't intense racism in most South American countries? It's just as bad all around because humans will otherize each other in order to build social strata that elevate their status.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Don't forget about the ones that think that Revelations isn't even supposed to be in the bible.

E: hahaha "even the JEWS believe this!"
I want to remind everyone that O'Reilly just released a "historically objective" book about the life of Jesus.

Rexicon1 fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 22, 2014

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Spacedad posted:

It actually shouldn't. It's a tacking on of the incoherent ramblings of what amounts to opium-addled zionist fanatics, a faction which was considered kooky as hell even for the time the stuff was written.

And the rapture is an invention of the last >200 years or so.

BUT THE BIBLE!

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Joementum posted:

Glenn Beck takes to his new steampunk desk to ask, "Bill Nye the Science Guy... Pope Urban VIII... hmmmm, are they brothers?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs8swzyY6ak

I can't even deal with this. My loving mind is erupting into madness. Bill Nye makes an entirely rational sane argument about polluting kids minds with fantasy = he must be the same kind of person who killed Galileo. NO YOU IDIOT gently caress THAT WAS THE PEOPLE WHO FORMED BASIS OF CREATIONISM AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Irony is dead. Imagine a sun sized irony cat going super nova and forming a black hole sucking all irony from the universe as the corpse of Galileo spins so hard in his grave forming the event horizon.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Because if the poor people she's supposedly out of touch with are known for anything it's their ownership and frequent usage of convenience machinery.

la mort dArthur posted:

FN is running with the D'Souza charges being part of a pattern of administration retaliation against conservatives. Ted Cruz asks what if Michael Moore and Sean Penn got targeted, conveniently forgetting about charges against John Edwards and a Harry Reid donor.

They're also covering a startling confession from Hillary:

She hasn't driven a car in almost 20 years!

This is almost peak "no conservative friendly news" time. MSNBC and other liberal leaning outlets are pissing honey from the sweet sweet nectar of watching the GOP destroy itself and the best Fox News can come up with is "deh, Hilary NASCAR whatever; liberals are mean and biased".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

This, but unironically.