Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I don't think Fox News, AM radio, etc. really shape public opinion that much, I think they really just tap into a market for people who want to have their opinions/biases confirmed. Just like you go to church and listening to the sermon helps you to maintain your faith, listening to Rush Limbaugh every day maintains your faith in your politics. Rarely is either going to convert nonbelievers, the goal is just to keep the masses energized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

astrollinthepork posted:

This is what the minimal effects model suggests, but it's really difficult to believe. I see too many people go loony for infowars and Limbaugh after being relatively sane.

Okay, I'll be real for a second. As a conservative and a Christian, I lie to myself ever day. I know that my entire worldview is probably wrong, but it's a big scary world our there, and regardless of the facts I'm not willing change everything I believe in- everything I am. Fortunately, there's a ton of sources that I can go to that will equip me with the spin, half-truths, and misinformation that I need to go on another day. I think that's where the market for this stuff is. It's preaching to the choir. It's likely that these "sane" people you knew got too immersed in it and lost their self awareness.