Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Debunk
Aug 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

BiggerBoat posted:

No, that's what makes us "the left" - valuing things like truth, honesty, sourcing, verification, confirmation and facts in news reporting. Adopting the tactics of the opposition would be a huge mistake and destroy whatever credibility we have. If I understand you correctly, you're saying that unless the left becomes dis-honest lying scumbags, then we deserve what we get. I think that's absurd and counter-productive on nearly ever level.

If we want to maybe get a little tougher about calling out bullshit and being a little more vocal then that's a different argument.

I have huge issues with this, and I think it exemplifies a poisonous trend that's infected the American left. Retaining the moral high ground has become the above-all goal, and credibility comes from this false sense of superiority rather than actual results. When confronted with the right's media hegemony, the left is happy to set up a false dichotomy between their 'moral' media tactics and the tactics of the opposition, then at best adopt a milquetoast counter-strategy. It strikes me as more immoral to give implicit consent to the destructive right, by refusing to engage them on the level of the spectacle, than to adopt their rhetoric and propaganda techniques. The left has the facts on their side; we don't fix things by lying as much as the right, we just need to adopt their messaging. 'Calling out their bullshit' and being a 'little more vocal' is such a loving weak suggestion I'm literally pulling patches of my beard out. The left needs to quit playing defense, especially if they believe they've got the moral high ground. The 2012 election has shown that the right folds like a chair when challenged, even if the challenger is a center-right neoliberal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU