Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
So today Rush Limbaugh said that Crowley “committed an act of journalistic terror” by calling out Romney.

The tears, so delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baw
Nov 5, 2008

astrollinthepork posted:

I listen to 89.7 WOSU, an NPR affiliate here in Ohio. I had to travel up to Toledo for work a few weeks back, and at some point, 89.7 becomes American Family Radio. Going from NPR to AFR was pretty shocking. They had some bullshit southern sounding guy on begging for money because "we don't have big corporate backers", the gently caress you don't. The show consisted of the guy talking about how your cash helps AFR defend you from "big gay." That is seriously what he said. They played back some calls from people saying that they're so happy they found AFR and because of their listening they feel informed. Now that they're informed they can talk to people about it. The only thin I pictured was facebook rants.

This happens in Texas too. Outside of Austin, the NPR signal is slowly overpowered by AFN. :tinfoil:

baw
Nov 5, 2008

TheIllestVillain posted:

Wasn't he also somewhat of a competent journalist at one point?

He did an expose about the Willowbrook State School in 1972, which played a major role in getting the Civil Rights of Institutionalized Persons Act of 1980 passed. Downhill from there, but it was an awesome achievement.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

The United States has constantly refused to sign off on no-brainer UN resolutions like those pertaining to the rights of a child, ect. Basically, they're saying "We definitely aren't torturing children, but we want to reserve the right to torture children in case we get caught not-child-torturing in our CIA prisons which definitely don't exist!" Also, Israel often sided with America against these resolutions as well. There's an animated gif of them that I see from time to time, but I can't seem to find it.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

The Dark Side by Jane Mayer is really good too, the beginning section goes into detail on how a bunch of different mistakes, bad judgment calls and inter-agency BS prevented 9/11 from being foreseen and stopped. The rest of the book is on how evil/incompetent the Bush admin was. Be warned, it will make you incredibly angry.

The 9/11 Commission Report, despite its flaws, definitely lays out how 9/11 could have been prevented if intelligence had just been shared between the agencies.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Never.More posted:

The fact that you wrote yourself an IOU does not mean the money has to come from somewhere eventually. Taking that figure out of the debt is not helpful to the discussion. Think of it this way, if the IOUs get to big the fed only has two real options. Either print a lot more money and devalue the currency (to pay for the IOUs), or borrow money from elsewhere to pay for their own IOUs.

The monetary base has tripled in the past 5 years, and there hasn't been a blip of inflation because we are currently operating in a liquidity trap.

You pay back the debt by growing the economy. More growth means more revenue, without even needing to raise taxes.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

I am going to disagree a little bit here, the thing is that plenty of money has been pumped into banks but the actual amount in people's pockets has stayed the same or gone down. Tripling the money base in 5 years while the economy hasn't grown much at all is pretty radical and it is entirely possible that once banks stop sitting on vaults of cash Scrooge McDuck style (okay, start shuffling numbers around and lending) that there will be inflationary pressure from that.

Yes, that is the "liquidity trap" part, and when the conditions are right then the Fed will step in.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

It would be great to just hear a politician mention "aggregate demand," and I've given up any hope of legislators taking any action to increase it.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Never.More posted:

Oh not at all. I completely agree that the the last couple of Republican Presidents have done very badly with the national debt. Although to be fair to Reagan, he basically spent the Soviet Union out of reality with his military build up. To be fair to Clinton, he slashed the military spending but did enjoy the massive influx of the .com boom. The reason I associate with the Republican party in this area is that they at least agree to make the national debt a major talking point and claim they are going to do something about it. Here is hoping that they actually do something about it. Elected leaders promising one thing and then delivering another is a whole separate can of worms though, I am afraid.

So has there been any historical relationship between periods of high debt and other economic indicators? Surely if debt was so terrible you could find some relationship between debt and various economic indicators.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Never.More posted:

Dont understand the point your trying to make ... maybe I am just tired as hell. Can you restate the question with some context?

You say debt is bad. Demonstrate a correlation between periods of high debt and high unemployment (or low GDP, or any other indication of economic health you can think of.) Nice Davis's link to FRED is a great resource. I look forward to seeing some graphs from you.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Never.More posted:

According to the government, un-employment is down. Around the 7.5% mark. (http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS14000000)

As far as the FDR solution, I dont think anyone can question that he pulled America through one of the toughest times we have ever faced. He deserves a great deal of respect for that. However, like everything, his solutions did have a price. It was the start of us putting in social welfare programs that do cost in terms of what we spend and we take in via taxes. So what do we tell the people actually saved their money and lived very fiscal conservative lives? Sorry guys, you saved all your life and these other people did not (either from bad decisions or from very unfortunate circumstances); so you who saved are now screwed in regards to that savings. I would contend there are quite a few people in America who did just that and would rightly be very outraged at the thought of losing all that hard work.

Still, it is a very valid point that we dont want to leave people without any safety net at all. So how do we balance the two? That is where the debates get very ugly on the Hill and why I think we need to listen to each side of the argument. Its easy to bring out the tear jerker story for each perspective or throw out extreme rhetoric. But that does not get us any closer to the issue. It hardens the lines, it does not produce a compromise. That is also why I believe we need to start tackling the debt now, before we get anywhere near a situation like Greece.

Demonstrate that a high debt-to-GDP ratio has been historically bad for the economy. You were given the link, now show the data. This isn't a loving philosophical debate, you need to back up this "debt is bad" horse poo poo with some actual numbers.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Never.More posted:

Sure: Most extreme example is again Greece.

Debt to GDP Ration: http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSZeFOeGpyOdfsNyozfAj62qiZiOw6P_nY1PtP3P6jawIqerE0Z

Debt to Unemployment: http://blog.dexia-am.com/fixed-income/Documents/greek_economic_figures.jpg (Although to be fair part of that in 2011 is them hitting a recession.)

This is what we are trying to avoid.

That is a bad comparison. Greece does not have its own central bank, or a monopoly on the world's reserve currency. The US does.

Maybe you can find some actual relevant information? Maybe about the US?

baw fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 3, 2013

baw
Nov 5, 2008

I am loving sick of the "truth is in the middle" poo poo that seems to permeate journalism (and peoples' opinions) nowadays. I read an article in some outdoors magazine about minimalist running shoes vs. traditional running shoes and the article ended with some South Park "well both sides have a good point..." bull poo poo. Has it always been this lovely or is this something I'm just beginning to notice?

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Never.More posted:

I think your missing the point I am trying to make. I am not saying that if we dont kill the debt right it is going to screw us over in the next year or so. I am saying that if we dont tackle the debt sooner rather than latter, it will hit us hard in the future. To follow on that concept, taking care of the debt now is much easier than taking care of the debt five years from now or ten years from now and so on. That is the reason that Greece is relevant for this discussion. They didnt deal with their debt and it ran away on them. Thankfully their economy was small enough and the EU cared enough to bail them out. Below is the link of the GDP to Debt Ratio. We are at 104.8% as of 31 March 2013.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-04-26/total-us-debt-gdp-105

Are we on the edge of utter collapse? No. Is our economy growing still? Yes. However, that is not what I am trying to show. I am trying to show that if you do not curb the spending and start working on the debt, then at some point you will hit the wall. Here is where it gets interesting. Some economists say you wont. Others say you will. Shockingly they dont like each other and call each other mean names in articles (in a professional manner, sometimes). Here is one article that talks about both sides actually (a little).

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/22/predicting-a-crisis-repeatedly/

To try to use an analogue, most people can agree that there is a cliff somewhere up ahead. Problem is we are blindfolded and dont know exactly where the cliff edge is. The point I was trying to get across is lets not get any close to the edge of the cliff than we have to.

So we should make economically destructive policy (cutting government spending is a de facto cut in GDP!) to avoid a cliff that doesn't exist (they've been predicting this bullshit for years now, and they have been completely wrong.)? The models that have held up over the past five years have been the ones that say the debt isn't something we should worry about right now because cutting it could actually be destructive.

Again, this isn't a philosophical debate. The data is very clear.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Maybe while you're looking up historical debt rates in the US, you can also look into historical tax rates and see if there is any relationship between high tax rates and economic health.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

edit: nm

baw
Nov 5, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

Muslim wrote a book about the historical Jesus. Apparently being a Muslim means you have to ignore his twenty years of study. I watched the interview and thought he handled himself well, but wasn't speaking the language of Fair and Balance :foxnews:

I wonder how they feel about Akhil Reed Amar.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

The Economist was started to support the repeal of the Corn Laws, and the organization takes still great pride in this defense of the ~*free market*~

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Probably referring to the Democrats taking the House, not Obama.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Just ask them what percentage of SNAP beneficiaries are gaming them system. On the off-chance they actually give a number, be sure to ask them how they reached it.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

Re: Global Warming.
I heard some talk about that last night at the bar. Of course when I tried to interject, I was informed that it's apparently a well known fact that meteorologists are paid to be liars.

Meteorologists try to predict weather, climatologists study climate. It's an important distinction to make because meteorology is a soft science but climatology is not. :eng101:

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Flaggy posted:

This got posted on Facebook. The unironic use of sheep while promoting a fox news link. I don't even know how to argue this.

Video in question:

http://video.foxnews.com/v/3055233355001/big-government-and-you/#sp=show-clips

I can't watch the video, but it seems like O'Reilly is predicting something stupid, so the best course of action is to bet your friend $1,000 that the stupid thing won't happen. Let him define parameters and a timeframe.

Be sure to ask him why he won't take the bet (because he won't take the bet.)

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Combining the US constitution with Christianity is a perfect example of the kind of syncretism that Eco warns us about in ur-Fascism.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

AsInHowe posted:

The long-term impact of Bowe Bergdahl is probably going to be more and more military turning against the Republican party, and conservatives being utterly confused as to why. Just like how women are turning against the Republican party, or young people, or anyone darker than 'Klan member in winter'. And conservatives will be utterly confused as to why.

I work with Marines and they are all buying the GOP narrative.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

https://twitter.com/toddstarnes/status/499305118622564352

If nothing else their internal battle between "government thug police state" and "stop being so mean to the cops" is going to be entertaining.

The only government agencies that they support are the agencies with a mandate to commit violence.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Marine Corps drill instructors can't even point at you. They even banned the knife-hand for a bit as too aggressive but I think they went back on that.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

VideoTapir posted:

edit: ball

you should throw "dome" in there too.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Bill's gettin' upset!

quote:

Fox News host Bill O'Reilly, several days into the controversy over accusations that he embellished stories of his experiences covering the Falklands War, threatened a New York Times reporter investigating the story.

O'Reilly stated that he would retaliate against the journalist, Times media reporter Emily Steel, if he did not approve of how she covered the story.

"I am coming after you with everything I have," O'Reilly told her. "You can take it as a threat."

While the Times does not print the full exchange, its report describes O'Reilly as threatening "repercussions if he felt any of the reporter's coverage was inappropriate."

New York Times reporter Ravi Somaiya, who co-authored the story with Steel, tweeted that O'Reilly had "threatened to come after @emilysteel if he did not approve of [the] story."

O'Reilly has a reputation for lashing out at critics, often going to great lengths to retaliate. In 2009, ThinkProgress writer Amanda Terkel reported that O'Reilly had been uninvited from an event for rape survivors, and criticized his past statements implying rape victims shared some blame for their attacks. In response, O'Reilly sent a producer and cameraman to follow Terkel on her vacation, ambushing and cornering her with demands that she apologize. The producer, Jesse Watters, had similarly ambushed other people who had criticized O'Reilly, broadcasting their shocked and at times frightened responses.

The nature of O'Reilly's threat to Steel is unclear and may well have been empty. But it would certainly not be the first time that the Fox News host used his considerable platform to punish someone for a perceived slight.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

It's also super important to remember that pressure from law enforcement officials is the reason for this ban.

So now they'll have to choose between supporting the cops or supporting the ban.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Yeah I shoulda known they would have a way of weaseling out of it.

At least they'll have to acknowledge that cops don't get shot at very much :unsmith:

baw
Nov 5, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

That video didn't even make sense. Anti-discrimination laws would also keep Muslim bakeries from discriminating against gays just like they're already prevented from discriminating against Jews.

"A-ha liberals, your precious laws will also keep Muslims from discriminating!" Okay, good?

He makes the point in his blog that he supports the Muslims right to turn him down, which apparently makes liberals heads explode or whatever.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

mr. mephistopheles posted:

As a man raised in "post-racial America" I can say without a doubt that Steven Crowder is a loving idiot with a child's understanding of racial politics. Now I just need to make a meme with a picture of me looking intensely deranged to add authority to the dumb poo poo I have to say.

What? People weren't talking about race for most of his life. Everything was fine until now.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Doctor Butts posted:

I can never really express my opinion correctly, but I'll try. The thought of a 'black community' is racist as hell to me.

Why the gently caress are black people expected to act as a single loving racial community to solve their problems? You never see people talk about how the white community should do poo poo about anything. Bunch of kids shoot each other in schools over the course of a year and not one person wants to have a conversation about what's going on in the white community. No one says "Hey, white people, this is what happens when you don't give a gently caress about your kids". No, not at all. It's a loving tragedy. How could it ever have happened?

These white people don't have communities: they see themselves as individuals. Each and every one of them is all a special loving snowflake. That's how they should treat everyone, not just themselves or other people like them.

And the dots are so easy to loving connect, its just willful ignorance that stops them. Every time you see a loving post on social media where some dude you (are pretty sure) is being racist where they post that horrible bullshit like "THIS BLACK PERSON GETS IT!".

Yea, it's plainly loving obvious to everyone else that the only reason they think this black person gets it, is because it agrees with what that white rear end in a top hat thinks. Yet they completely discount every other god drat thing other people say. Nope! Nope! Not agree with me = wrong. One of the good ones!

But it should be also plainly loving obvious to the person who is posting that bullshit that these black people all have different opinions on things. Maybe they have separate priorities. Maybe they all don't know how to solve the problem. Maybe they don't have the means to. Maybe they....

... Oh wait a minute. Here's the most important thing: maybe they aren't responsible for this loving bullshit and maybe they shouldn't bear the burden alone for this loving bullshit.

It's a lot of different people in different situations who have different opinions and different priorities. It's not just a group of loving people who hang out on the stoop jivin' and discussing how they should deal with Joe the druggie or Mike the little kid who seems to be growing up wrong.

Again, what's the use of a double standard? There's certainly no white community doing that. They're loving lying if they think there's a white community doing anything other than bullshitting to their neighbor and sharing rumors about joe the druggie or how the Wilsons are raising Mike badly and he's going to be a criminal.

poo poo I got off topic. Anyway, its racist as hell to me to expect 'the black community' to shoulder the blame, to shoulder the responsibility for other people- just because those other people are part of the same race.

How dare you loving shoulder them with the responsibility of everyone in their race. And how dare you tell them that they shouldn't expect equal treatment under the eyes of the law until they've met that condition.

The concept of black communities is still an important one so that we can talk about how black communities are oppressed and exploited by law enforcement.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Dr. Faustus posted:

I was trying to convince my father about some political point years ago. It was non-controversial (inasmuch as any of these things are) and I was careful to avoid liberal-leaning sources. It was literally a whole page of links and quotations that challenged the RWM narrative on the subject, pointing directly to why the narrative was flawed.

His response, to paraphrase, was this: "You found all that on the liberal Internet. Nothing you can cite will ever convince me."

I was pole-axed.

Ask for a specific criticism.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I use this link and point out how the South voted Democratic until 1964 and (barring 2 Southern Democrats running for President), it has voted consistently republican since.

http://www.270towin.com/historical-presidential-elections/

I was then told that this does not prove anything, the Southern Strategy was made up by liberals to make it seem like conservatives are racist, the Lee Atwater quote was made up by a liberal, Strom Thurmond and Jesse Helms did not hold much power in the Republican Party and they were just concerned with too much federal power and wanted to protect state's rights, and that Robert Byrd was a Democrat and a KKK member.

Yep, be prepared to have all your information ignored no matter what you post.

I had slightly better luck

You really gotta hit them over the head with the fact that they don't know even the most basic stuff. The link goes to here.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

bpower posted:

You made a good effort but the guy seems impervious.

The pattern over the past several years is that I whittle them down until they either shut up or delete me.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Rhesus Pieces posted:

He's impervious because baw is trying to explain an historical fact and the other guy is treating it like an attack on his favorite sports team. He thinks the civil rights-era political shift is just an unfair attempt by lieberals to take credit for both FDR and the CRA and smear republicans as racist and greedy.

Another weird example of this is how upset they get when I point out that being a cop isn't a particularly dangerous job. Some just outright refuse to accept it and I have to repeat myself several times. It's like they want cops to have a dangerous job.

Really I could think of a dozen examples where pointing out a simple and unambiguous fact seems to break their brains.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Just happened again. I've been through this multiple times with this guy, linking the businessinsider article about the ten most dangerous jobs in the US and this how dangerous is it to be a cop article.

This here is from today:

I think this is the third time I have had this conversation with him. Here is the second, from May. (warning: long and repetitive)

This mindset really fascinates me. Arguing with dumb people on Facebook has become some kind of weird hobby at this point.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

I screenshot a lot of mine and put the screenshots in a folder labelled "Facebook."

I don't know why I do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baw
Nov 5, 2008

site posted:

Jesus. Cockroaches? Haven't heard that one in a while...

That's some real 1488 racist poo poo right there