Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Doesn't our supposedly left-wing media deserve some share of the blame for not fighting the Fox News bandwagon? I mean, who's the leftest person on national TV right now? Maddow? Olberman? As far as I can tell they're both capitalists.
Olbermann's not on TV. I would say probably Maddow or Chris Hayes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

VideoTapir posted:

I'd let Huffington Post influence me more if their business practices weren't so sleazy.
It doesn't help that the nonsense memes and celebrity stuff seems to be increasing its presence on their homepage more and more.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

In the 1990s the law that limited the number of radio stations one company could own was repealed, which led to companies like Clear Channel buying most of them and filling them with right-wing nonsense.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

He also had that infamous moment where he made fun of Michael J. Fox's Parkinson's, but I forget why he did that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

I don't remember if it was specifically him, but there was a pretty widespread thing in right wing media that literally any criticism of OUR COMMANDER IN CHIEF during wartime was tantamount to treason. They went hog wild over that "you can't change horses in midstream" poo poo too.

Well, we're still at war! God forbid anyone respect a Democrat president though. As soon as their guy was out, most of those same pundits flipped around and decided it was patriotic as gently caress to criticize a wartime president and patted eachother on the back for it when anyone tried to point out that double standard.
Yeah, during the '04 election in particular, right-wingers were getting really pissy if anyone criticized Bush over the Iraq war. I'm still convinced that if the election had been a year later he would have lost, thanks to Katrina and the Iraq situation spiraling into civil war by then.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Everyone forgets 'Beergate', where the prez sat down to have a beer with that college professor and the cop who arrested him for trying to get in his own house.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Unzip and Attack posted:

What do you base this on? I mean, black actors in his movies are just as often the 'good guys' as white actors, maybe even more often. Yes his movies confront/include racism but how does that make him a racist person? The man made a revenge fantasy movie about a former slave going on a righteous killing spree against everyone who had a hand in his enslavement - that's about the most un-racist thing the American mainstream can tolerate.

And another film with a black, female protagonist who is portrayed in a mostly positive light. Yeah I don't believe for a second Tarantino is racist or even bigoted.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm so glad we're in the same corner as a barely functioning government (Somalia) on so many issues.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I should clarify that it's not so much I'm surprised that Murdoch holds those views, because after all he is a person who's spent most of his life living and working in a couple of different countries that have pretty strict gun control laws. It's more that I'm surprised that he would tweet that, knowing full well his right-wing propaganda machine here in the USA holds a view so opposite as to be actively hostile to the message their boss was tweeting. That's why I think Ailes must have drat near had a coronary when he saw the guy who gives him his marching orders tweet a variation on "we need to have stricter gun control laws", because it's the complete opposite of what his talking heads are routinely spouting.

And Turnbull was right on the money; if Murdoch directed Ailes to change Fox News' message about gun control overnight, you would suddenly see a rash of Republican politicians clamoring for more stringent gun controls. Of course, you'd also see Fox News' ratings go into the toilet as their conservative audience abandons them in droves, which is why it'll never happen.
I'm not entirely convinced Ailes would listen to him at this point. There was a good article written last year about Ailes, his relationship with Murdoch, and the history of him at FOX News, and it seems like Ailes has more power at the network now than Murdoch does. Ultimately Murdoch doesn't care about the Republican Party other than that they are working towards his interests of making more money.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

This is truly FoxNews.txt on so many levels.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Crasscrab posted:

First word out of his mouth: WELP. I could not stop laughing. Also loving this little conversation between s one NWOTruthChannel and the video uploader, ProConstitutioner.

:allears: I love when morons like this talk about forming militias and fighting back against the government, because that's gone so well for folks like them in the past!
I believe his comment about stocking up on 'Guns N Ammo' was actually about buying CDs of my Guns 'N Roses cover band

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Still waiting for Drudge to whine about all of those bills FL Gov. Rick Scott (R) signed to restrict access to pain mess. Oh wait, that's never going to happen.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

The other thing about the video game poo poo is that conservatives (and many liberals) already went tooth and nail over this stupid issue to slap ratings on movies, music and games anyway. Like others have pointed out, there's already a big old "M", "NC-17" or "XXX" label on pretty much everything telling any parent who takes 5 minutes out of their day to learn about it that some of these things Are Not for Children.

Just card kids/parents buying games and movies that children shouldn't be playing or watching and the problem's already solved for the most part. Just treat these things like liquor and cigarettes.
SCOTUS already ruled to strike down a law that banned minors from buying certain video games. They considered it a violation of the 1st Amendment to bar underage people from purchasing the games. The proposed regulation that would make the ESRB ratings mandatory would almost certainly be struck down by the Court.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Don't forget everyone's favorite, Senator Droopy Dog. He hammered on vidya games for at least two decades. Even more so after Columbine.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

None of those people are really leaving. Why would they? What's stopping them from having multiple offshore tax havens?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

There is a 99% chance that Dick Cheney has an island where he hunts people.
Well Google did blur out the Naval Observatory during the period Cheney lived there, so maybe he just doesn't hunt The Most Dangerous Game on an island?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It's amazing how much the right wing has been flipping out over Ashley Judd considering she hasn't announced anything. They must be terrified of her.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Fox News contributor Juan Williams is now in trouble due to a report exposing how entire sections of one of his recent online articles were lifted from a Center for American Progress study on immigration. He's blaming this on a staffer, of course.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Phone posted:

I am convinced that nobody can do math. It's hard. Multiplying numbers, adding, sometimes subtracting.

It's hard.
And we don't even THINK about dividing, no sir. That's the crazy talk.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

There's a laundry list somewhere of people who at least leaned liberal in the media and suddenly veered hard to the right after 9/11.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

To be fair, this has been the post-election Republican strategy.

Step 1: gently caress everything up through belligerent obstructionism
Step 2: Blame Obama for it
Step 3: When said strategy fails to produce electoral gains, return to Step 1

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

MaxxBot posted:

It doesn't surprise me that they sell gold on the left-wing shows also but what really struck me as bizarre was hearing Ed Schultz pedal gold on his show using the exact same talking points they do on Beck/Hannity/etc. He literally recorded a commercial saying "We're being crushed by 16T in debt that will never be paid off, buy gold now!" and then after the break continued reading off of his daily memo from the DNC about how there's no debt crisis :psyduck:.
I've even heard Thom Hartmann do that on his show. I guess it's demanded by whoever owns the radio station they work for. It's pretty jarring.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

McDowell posted:

The Muslim Brotherhood came to power with a popular vote. The US has subsidized the Israeli and Egyptian governments for years. But I guess Neocons have always been dishonest about the validity of a popular vote.
Neocons loved freedom and the democratic process in the Middle East until the Palestinians voted for Hamas, then they stopped talking about it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Vertical Lime posted:

Our good friend Eric Bolling thinks the firing of Rutgers' basketball coach, who used gay slurs and violence towards his players, thinks it's part of the "wussification" of America:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdZtKVWic_Y

Because, you know, using violence at your players is manly
Sadly there are plenty of people who unironically believe this.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Phone posted:

Get hosed NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/09/world/europe/former-prime-minister-margaret-thatcher-of-britain-has-died.html?_r=0

She was so brave, like the American herosnitch, movie star, and noted war criminal Ronald Reagan.
I'll be interested to see how many articles note that she was a supporter of South Africa's apartheid government for years.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

richardfun posted:

She also wasn't exactly the harshest critic of Augusto Pinochet. And she called Nelson Mandela and the ANC terrorists.
The ANC former leadership released a letter yesterday upon hearing about her death that literally starts with 'good riddance'.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I don't think that's even the first time some Fox News crazies attacked a conservative host for not talking about Benghazi (aka the Biggest Scandal Ever) enough.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

SnakePlissken posted:

Aren't they the guys that have someone buying large numbers of issues just to keep their sales looking high? Or am I mistakenly thinking of somebody else?
I think that's the Washington Times, which somehow has stayed in publication despite its crazy publisher's death

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That whole Canadian plot thing has been completely ignored by the media, as far as I can tell. Crazy stuff.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Radish posted:

Anyone that wants to claim that waterboarding isn't torture should have to man up and have it done to them or be called out as the hypocritical cowards they are. Say what you will about Christopher Hitchens and Mancow but both of those guys at least manned up and then immediately recanted afterwards when they couldn't last 10 seconds.
At least they had the balls to experience it, Hannity chickened out after championing that stuff for years.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

A DENVER FAX posted:

Indeed, its terrible when a mediocre and otherwise insignificant player is given undue attention because he is outspoken about social causes.

OH WAIT

:iceburn:

I do find it ironic that this news comes out the day Tebow gets cut

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

A DENVER FAX posted:

Wasn't there another NBA player to come out post-retirement a few years ago? I think he is just the first active player.
John Amaechi maybe?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Seoinin posted:

I'm reminded of those short stories people were writing in LF right before the 2008 election. "There came the jangling of chains and 'grillz' as Obama and his gang of street toughs ascended the steps of the capitol. The pResident elect began to speak, while his posse popped and locked in unison behind him."
I think that's from the inauguration thread that is in the Goldmine. It was brilliant

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Ograbme posted:

In the 90s, Rush was also in Animaniacs.
There was also a guy similar to Rush in one pretty early episode of the Simpsons

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm pretty sure the 'R to D' thing is still ongoing, although I can't remember the last instance of this

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

If O'Keefe wasn't connected like he is, he would have been charged with national security crimes, considering he WIRETAPPED A SENATOR. That's supposed to be serious business.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Phone posted:

It was a harmless joke, though. You know how Republicans are with humor.
If a liberal leaning person say, wiretapped Ted Cruz's office for instance, you would have every Republican member of Congress demanding that they be repeatedly tortured and then sent to Guantanamo.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

So I hope everyone is prepared for the new right-wing narrative of 'George Zimmerman: American Hero', since he apparently rescued a guy from a car last week down here.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

How many times are people going to bite on SilentD's trolling in this forum? He's not new here guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Savage is now a major proponent of people who are bisexual to be open about it to others, as they are more marginalized than they should be