Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:

Seoinin posted:

I've been saying this a lot lately, but hahaha hooooly poo poo if you think the boomers are bad just wait until GenX gets their stupid rear end in a top hat hands on the country. Buncha folks that came up in the late seventies and eighties, and think of the Reagan Times as "oh yeah, it was awesome. I loved He-Man."
I'm really getting tired of the "GEN X IS TOTALLY RIGHT WING DUDERS" line. Go read the Pew Research Center's report on generational trends again -- each generation is, generally speaking, more liberal than the previous. President Obama isn't a long-haired dirty leftist, but he ain't Alex P. Keaton by a long shot.

Nirvana? Rage Against the Machine? Big deal -- Reagan tarted the hell out of Bruce Springsteen too. Conservatives love to pretend to align themselves with yesterday's revolutions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:
As far as liberal-leaning versions of Drudge -- there used to be one called the Dredged Report which replicated the "pageful of contextless links" format, but it's long gone. Nowadays, there are several liberal-leaning blogs but if someone wants to suggest something genuinely leftist, go right ahead.

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

Someone brought up "how to debate a conservative" earlier in the thread, but every time I do it, I hit a brick wall of impenetrable false information that they have accepted as abject fact and the conversation ends there.

EgoEgress posted:

I don't know if we need to stoop to the GOP's level, but we absolutely do need to understand and counter that sheer mass of wrong information. ... It's such demonstrably false information that spreads like a miasma throughout the Republican party.
Stop saying "false information" and "wrong information"! :argh: If it's false or wrong then it's not information, it's a falsehood at the very least.

Thom Hartmann's book Cracking the Code is all about the wonderful concept of tuning liberal concepts to appeal to conservatives' ethos and pathos. Interesting.

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

Amused to Death posted:

Hell either last week or the week before she ended the Friday episode of her show with a bartending lesson on how to make an alternate whiskey sour. Rachel Maddow would be the best person to party with.
That was Friday three days after Election Day, and I hate to disappoint the Kelly fans, but it was an Improved Whiskey Cocktail.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNurztGCCEk

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

My opinion about aligns with Charlie Brooker's opinion of Olbermann...and of Bill O'Reilly...and especially of Glenn Beck. :allears:

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

BlueBlazer posted:

Is there a good easy to understand graphic that explains how marginal tax rates so I can print 1000 posters of to post around the town...
You don't need a graphic. You don't need ten minutes. You don't need a cute analogy about pie. All you need to say is that if your income in a year goes over a certain dividing line into a bracket with a higher tax rate, that rate only applies to the amount in excess of the dividing line. That's it. That's all there is.

If your sparring partner insists on a concrete example, you can say that if you earn $260,000, then you owe lower rates on $250,000 and the higher rate on $10,000. Or if you earn $251,000, then you owe lower rates on $250,000 and the higher rate on $1,000. Or if you earn $250,001, then you owe lower rates on $250,000 and the higher rate on $1. Or if you earn $250,000.01, then you owe lower rates on $250,000 and the higher rate on 1¢. This takes well under ten minutes to get across, honest guv, and if the other person refuses to see things this way then he/she/it can be dismissed as willfully ignorant.

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

SilentD posted:

Conservatives just flat out call someone a fuckwit, liberals dance around it and snark about and then when called on it pull the "oh no I didn't wink wink hehe".

Both are obnoxious, but at least the former has the guts to just flat out do and not dance around the bush. I can respect that even if I don't agree with it. The latter is just pathetic, it's no different than Lee Atwater claiming things are kosher because he didn't specifically drop an n-bomb, and just as worthy of contempt.
You'll have to justify that assertion, pal. How is snarking about Republican politicians no different from (not "different than", "different from") using coded epithets about minority groups to frame debates about the treatment of those minority groups?

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

Twisted Perspective posted:

I'd bet on Rick Santorum. I did read a story recently that if it hadn't been for vote rigging in the primaries he would have won the nomination for 2012 instead of Mitt Romney.
Seriously, now? Seems to me Santorum wasn't especially strong, he just was the last Not-Romney standing. Could you track down that story again, please?

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Not only does it still exist, the same episode gets shown twice in a three-hour span (once live at 5 PM, then a re-run of the 5PM edition at 7 PM), for those who just can't get their fill of Chris Matthews yelling at someone. :v:
It was a guest host, not Matthews, amazingly. Crooks and Liars has a video clip of the utterly surreal interview.

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

Mitchicon posted:

What is a good news source that doesn't have a ridiculous slant to it? I read HuffPo sometimes, but I get tired of the liberal cheerleading.
How do you define "ridiculous"? I got a slant, you got a slant, all God's chillun got a slant. The best you can do is find multiple sources -- no, not because "the truth is in the middle", but to corroborate and verify -- and get accustomed to a given news source's slant so you can correct for it. As silly as HuffPost's obsession with quack medicine is, at least it's right up front and easy to recognize.

Going back to the fake photo of the fake President faking shooting a fake gun and wearing a fake watch, I found it amusing that they mention the Barack's Watch site. Go there and, lo and behold, one of the first things you see is a quote from a magazine article saying:

GQ posted:

With impeccable timing, watch maker Jorg Gray is storming the fashion industry after President Obama was seen wearing its sporty black chronograph, a gift from his security detail, in place of his usual TAG Heuer.
So all the fuss about the watch Obama isn't wearing is about a watch he doesn't normally wear anyway. :allears:

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

Now now, you can't just go by what The Google says. Obviously Carlson puts more stock in what Yahoo turns up...

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

Sanguinia posted:

Don't get me wrong, Jefferson was great and all, but it bothers me that he's the alpha and omega of politics anymore.
You don't need to do the "don't get me wrong" doubletalk about that line; it's a bullshit non-quote. Whenever you see a "quote" of a famous name but no hint of where or when they said/wrote it, your bullshitometer should start going off.

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

The Who's "Baba O'Reily"

BiggerBoat posted:

"Teenage Wasteland"

Ferroque posted:

"Baba O'Reilly"
You're ALL WRONG! It's "Baba O'Riley", named after Meher Baba and Terry Riley. But the most important point is this:

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Jesus, I just heard the worst thing ever on Hannity.
You should know by now that there is always more and it is always worse. :negative:

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

mints posted:

Monroe isn't anywhere NEAR the bayou, that poo poo's basically MS.

ReidRansom posted:

That's kind of funny because most Texans consider anything ~East of I-45 to be Western Louisiana.

ReindeerF posted:

East Texas is a Hell of a lot more like Louisiana than any part of Louisiana is like the rest of Texas. That's for sure.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

The line is at Hammond. Anything North is somewhat sane. South? Well you can get you a Nutria burger if you want it.
Everybody, how about not quibbling about northern Louisiana or eastern Texas or whatever as really being part of some other state based on some specious geographic/demographic grounds? It's just as dumb as the stereotype of southerners all being secessionist dickbags who are a hair's-breadth away from bringing back slavery and lynching, heh. Y'all know better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

Von Sloneker posted:

At Powerline, John Hinderaker gives us maybe the clearest example of what it's like to be trapped in the mind of a dittohead.
Unfortunately it's all downhill after "I know because one of my daughters told me so." Good job Powerline dude, way to make yourself sound a million years old!