Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

BiggerBoat posted:

It died because Air America was mostly horrible, unlistenable poo poo. Even Al Franken's show, the lynchpin of the format, wasn't all that great or particularly funny.

I enjoy listening to Stephanie Miller sometimes, as well as Thom Hartman and Bill Press, but the way I listen to these shows is almost passive - certainly nothing like the way that people listen to Rush and Sean during their commutes and lunch hours. I actually manage to get tired of red meat. The right wing base eats this poo poo up as actual, honest-to-god news and, worse, the only news to be trusted because the rest of the media is all left wing bias.

You shut your face about Al Frankin. He and Air America saved me from being a dittohead.

I like talking radio, audio books, stuff that isnt music that I can listen to. Back in 2001-2002 I was listening to talk radio and going dangerously down that 'boy lieberals are stupid road' Then Air America existed and I thought I would listen just to hear what a joke they were. I heard different perspectives and heard about events in a way that wasnt insane. It wasnt a overnight conversion, but without the existance of that alternate viewpoint I would probably just watch Fox News unironicly now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

I don't remember if it was specifically him, but there was a pretty widespread thing in right wing media that literally any criticism of OUR COMMANDER IN CHIEF during wartime was tantamount to treason. They went hog wild over that "you can't change horses in midstream" poo poo too.

Well, we're still at war! God forbid anyone respect a Democrat president though. As soon as their guy was out, most of those same pundits flipped around and decided it was patriotic as gently caress to criticize a wartime president and patted eachother on the back for it when anyone tried to point out that double standard.

The biggest thing I remember from 2004 ie "you can't change a horse midstream" apparently that doent matter anymore. But I expect nothing they said about anything ever counts when t applies to the other side.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

cheerfullydrab posted:

I believe the current political analysis holds that Christie wants Obama to be re-elected so he's in a good position for 2016. I don't think this is in the realm of conspiracy theory. We live in an age of perpetual Presidential elections and Christie is just doing some basic political math. It's a little cynical but not the worst of the worst by any means.

This isnt :tinfoil: at all. He did turn down running himself and presumably the VP position. If you want to run properly you dont do it against an incumbent, who killed Osama Bin Laden, and during a time when (despite the rights rhetoric) the economy is improving under.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 31, 2012

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Mercury_Storm posted:

You pretty much have to assume that the whole "dittohead" thing is Rush having contempt for his audience. Does anyone know how that deal got started in the first place? People call up every day just to essentially say: "hey I'm an idiot with no real opinions of my own and defer to whatever you say." At some point (if not from the very beginning), Rush had to be thinking exactly that.

I've listened to talk radio all over the country and that's how it works.

Host: dems are bad because they eat babies.

Caller: Hi I just wanna call to tell you that the dems are eating babies and I don't think America should stand for it.

Host: THAT'S WHAT I'VE BEEN SAYING! thanks for the call. You heard it folks. More dems are eating babies.

Megadittos. Is just shorthand for that whole conversation. It really is an echo chamber. People bring up the exact points a host just made presented like it's a new topic. Listen for it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

prefect posted:

He has absolutely got real journalistic skills, and he has used them from time to time. As mentioned, he broke a big story over Willowbrook. I know Hugh Downs has respect for his news skills, even though he spends most of his time not using them.

I vaguely remember him freaking out at 911. I think it broke him, he swing hard right. Really made me happy to see him stand up for truth.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Typical Pubbie posted:

The one I hear a lot is Romney lost momentum because of Sandy. God must be a secret Muslim too.

Well, he ain't Mormon, thats for sure.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Zwabu posted:

Funny that you should mention this. I created a Twitter account a few days before the election just to harvest bitter GOP tears, and was not disappointed. I put every right wing mofo I could find on there and it was glorious, although now that the election is over I instantly have no use for Twitter once again. But just looking through some right winger's Twitter page shortly after the election, I saw the guy (some fifth string reject I never even heard of, just wound up on my feed because of @RepublicanTears and #tcot) commenting to some other right winger that he had a whole bunch of people subscribe to his feed right before the election and now they were rapidly dropping off, and he couldn't figure out why anyone would do this. :laugh:

I did watch Fox News coverage of the election from around the time the PA/WI/MI dominoes began to fall all the way through the concession and victory speeches, and it was really glorious, incredible TV, and I mean that completely unironically. The Rove meltdown over Ohio and the Meghyn Kelly high heel walk down to the nerd box is of course a classic moment in and of itself, but the whole thing was pretty incredible, from the way a funeral pall descended over the whole crew around the halfway point (Cavuto was seriously almost in tears), to the broadcast crew kind of not knowing what to do with themselves from the time of the Rove outburst to the concession speech, to watching people like the mummified corpse of Krauthammer aggressively begin delegitimizing Obama's victory before the guy even began his speech. It was really magical. :allears:

That was awesome, and I just want to thank you, I got a lot of fun out of your effort there. I appreciated it greatly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm dragging this from the election thread, but Hannity's back to Swifboating John Kerry again. This. This right here is what angers me so much about these people.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2012/11/15/hannity-hosts-dishonest-swift-boat-veterans-fou/191419

"Hey guys, remember that one election when we just lied and our base believed a decorated war hero wasnt because we said 'nu-uh', that was grand." :allears:

gently caress the SBVT, gently caress them all.