Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

kik2dagroin posted:

Knowledge Fight is switching its show format entirely to 3 hour episodes of InfoWars personalities being deposed under oath and I will happily listen to every minute of it.

Opening Arguments also has a new episode on AJ, though I haven't listened to it yet: https://openargs.com/oa587-alex-jones-continues-to-be-completely-porked/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I've heard it called "deprogramming", like with cult members.

How you actually do it to 30-50% of the country, I've no idea. Probably start by getting Fox/OAN off the air.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Angry_Ed posted:

The other problem is that many places of business just run Fox News in the TV. Donut shops, Car mechanics, Pizza parlors, Fast food etc.

For example I'm currently sitting under a TV spouting Fox News' insane claptrap about DeSantis banning books (and lol at them blaming the rise in sexual assault on the books, like it isn't their loving fault), while waiting for my car to get inspected. I'm never coming back here but I'm still only one person.
We've had a solution for this for like 30 years

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
PragerU is probably shooting fish in a barrel but I was surprised they're trying to rehabilitate the Iraq war now

I didn't watch the originals and you don't have to either thanks to the three arrows guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_TDQo9Zpv8

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 11, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

PT6A posted:

Oh come now, I think it's a bit of a stretch to suggest that *checks notes* the greedy, duplicitous banker race with long noses, who use shofars to rally their troops, would have anything in common with anti-Semitic stereotypes. PC gone mad, it is!

(This was sarcasm, in case it wasn't clear)

I've never read or watched a HP thing but I came across this Shaun video last year and it does make seem like it's all not just a coincidence...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1iaJWSwUZs

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Zipperelli. posted:

Can someone give me a real basic rundown of what happened with SVB like I'm 5 or have no idea how banks operate?
From what I've seen, it seems pretty simple compared to regular finance nonsense.

SVB owned lots of low-yield bonds that they bought when interest rates were low. As interest rates increased, those bonds became less valuable, meaning they now didn't have enough assets. Peter Thiel then kicks off a bank run in their billionaire circlejerk chat.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BiggerBoat posted:

I've read several long articles, seen a few documentaries and watched a few dramas that get into the cause of the 2008 crash and I still don't loving understand it.

But the common refrain I hear in social settings is always "the government forced banks to give loans to people that couldn't afford it" and it's always from some CHUD type so I have my doubts that it's that simple.

Along similar lines, these two bank failures are apparently totally because of the government which naturally means it was Biden's fault but I didn't listen long enough to get details. Hannity is going to have a bunch of "economists" on his show tonight that will likely delve into all the details about democrats caused this.
Dunno if the government forced anyone but banks did give out mortgages to everyone with a pulse. The banks then, because those mortgages were risky, bundled them with other securities and sold them to someone else, thus kind-of hiding the risk. Don't remember exactly what triggered it but all this suddenly became infeasible and, well.

Here's a more detailed but still pretty understandable explanation of SVB situation. Seems roughly in line with what I posted earlier: https://archive.is/CqpVU

Trump bragged about repealing the specific regulation that would've prevented this, but of course it's the woke Biden's fault.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/NoLieWithBTC/status/1636380037422387202

It's working? :confuoot:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nenonen posted:

If people discussed politics in anonymous social media services ~250 years ago then it's entirely possible that Ben Franklin would have named himself Cat Turd. Or perhaps Merde de Chat because he was a man of sophistication, who just happened to love both cats and toilet humour.

catturd2 is no Franklin though.

Franklin certainly wouldn't be such a lame poster. I think that's the most baffling thing about catturd. I had no idea what he's about until there was this big deal about Ol' Musky unbanning him. But I imagined he was like a right-wing dril instead of, well, that.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It seems Fox is almost as hosed as Alex Jones. I don't get though how that discovery doesn't clearly show reckless disregard when they clearly admit they lied for stock prices.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Piell posted:

It's almost impossible to win defamation cases on summary judgement and it's pretty surprising that Dominion won as much as they did

Didn't the AJ go exactly like that though? Maybe I'm misremembering it but I thought the trials were only for determining damages.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh poo poo, you're all right of course. I forgot about the whole defaulting thing, as I started following it only once the actual trial turned into a circus.

The Fox people are all competent and (mostly) sane enough that this poo poo won't happen of course but the evidence seems pretty solidly against them anyway.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Dersh definitely caught some form of brainworms, he used to be a respected lawyer and professor apparently :shrug:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Angry_Ed posted:

...what did this shareholder expect? Honesty and integrity?

Moneyyyyyyyy

Not getting sued for possibly tens of billions of dollars

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
IANAL but as far as I can tell "actual malice" doesn't mean having Tucker on record as saying "I'm going to deliberately lie to our viewers in order to hurt Dominion", but rather that they knew or suspected it was bullshit and said it anyway. Which is normally very difficult... unless you have tons of discovery showing just that.

quote:

When a public figure like Trump [lol!] sues for defamation, they must prove that the defendant made a false statement with actual malice — that is, they must show that the statement was false and that the defendant either knew it was false or recklessly disregarded whether or not it was false. "Reckless disregard" means something like deliberately ignoring manifest signs that the statement was false. That's been the standard since New York Times v. Sullivan in 1964. Note that even under this standard, a media outlet that wrote a "purposely . . . false" statement of fact can be held liable. It's a difficult standard, but it can be done, as Rolling Stone found out this month.
From our friend Popehat: https://www.popehat.com/2016/11/14/lawsplainer-about-trump-opening-up-libel-laws/

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well that's a bummer but it seems like this happened after the judge appointed a special counsel to dig into Fox's discovery process so maybe Murdoch started really making GBS threads bricks at that point. The settlement could involve Tucker having to confess to being a dirty liar every day on his show, for all we know.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Vaginaface posted:

Maybe our expectations are just flatly wrong. Historically, are there any examples of something like this actually resulting in Justice? Is the explanation for everything that happens simply "how can every organization's investors maximize short term profit", even the infrastructure of democracy?
I think any justice in the overall sense for the society would be a side-effect of the lawsuit. It was really about making the Dominion owners whole, though I did think they'll go ahead with the trial, considering how strong their case seemed to be. But Dominion is a relatively small company and this represents a huge payday for everyone. I'd imagine anyone with a major stake in it can cash out and go live on a tropical island now.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Seems real!

https://press.foxnews.com/2023/04/fox-news-media-and-tucker-carlson-part-ways

Which is :lmao:, gently caress Tucker, Tucker sucks.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

azflyboy posted:

I assume someone in the Fox legal division convinced management that Tucker was going to cost them a lot of money in various lawsuits if he stayed, or Fox told him he had to tone it down a bit, and he got mad and quit.
This 100% has to be damage control, either as a direct result (or part of settlement) of the Dominion lawsuit, or the upcoming Smartmatic or shareholder.

The best part is that he can't even to go loving Newsmax now without getting involved in the lawsuits again.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Radio Nowhere posted:

RT America shut down a year ago. Does the rest of the world even give a poo poo about Tucker?

Russia uses him internally to show how America bad

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Another mega chud hopefully facing consequences as a result of his actions?

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1651645370898989057

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Panfilo posted:

https://twitter.com/RaffyPindaHouse/status/1654041768512614400?t=5XTLc87PlBgEQ9Id_cp6tQ&s=19
They keep going after this policy. Thing is even if you take the linked article at face value, nobody really wants to improve these lunches, only blame each other for flawed policy. Conservatives will not hesitate to claim:

-Kids are fatter and lazier than ever

-School lunches are and will always be terrible

-The government can't do anything right.

But when you ask them to show you an example of an affordable, nutritious, popular and well liked school lunch policy they'll just change the subject. It's never about addressing the problem, they think Michelle Obama is an ape in a strapless gown and thus any of her ideas are going to be as ridiculous as she looks to them.
They're never interested in an actual solution.

But speaking of right-wing media, I had to click the tweet as embeds are disabled and immediately below there were two musk tweets and this piece of poo poo

Twitter always had its issues but it's incredible just how quickly he turned into an absolute cesspool.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Everyone should've turned off their computers before Y2K and then never turned them all ever again imo

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm guessing he saw the Dominion lawsuit play out and immediately started bugging what was left of his lawyer team to do him one of those defamation suits too.

Murgos posted:

I expect it's not a real lawsuit. Its intent is to harass a bunch of people and put out talking points about how Trump is going to own Amazon and WaPo until it's dismissed a year from now for not actually alleging any harm similar to his last defamation suit he filed in Florida.

edit: Even better, this might actually be another Nunes defamation suit since he actually president of the "Trump Media" company filing the suit. So, it might actually live long enough for discovery and the WaPo lawyers to prove that TMTG did commit the securities fraud alleged in the allegedly defamatory article.
Oh poo poo that's right, Nunes is involved. I hope WaPo called him a cow.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cybersecurity expert

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Regarding the case of the chud that got lit up by the FBI, someone noticed that they were tipped off by the Truth Social team:

Shanghaied posted:

Ahahahahahahahahahah it's much, much, much better lmao:

The FBI was tipped off by Truth Social lol ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Edit: help, I think I'm gonna die laughing lol

This is gonna be fun too once this gets out widely

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Levantine posted:

I will never, NEVER understand how a complete mushbrain like Trump was a United States president and is still the front runner of his party. It's just unreal to me how fundamentally unserious we are as a people to have gotten to this point. The man is self aggrandizing and never stops talking nonsense. Like no-hyperbole, actual nonsense that a normal human being wouldn't listen to in a normal setting. The fact there's a non-zero amount of people that look at Trump and think "Yes, this is a serious, manly man who is fighting for my future" is silly; the fact that the number is actually so high is honestly frightening to me.
poo poo, at least the first time you could see how someone could buy into his nonsense about maga. I mean there was the Mexican and pussy incidents but, you know, :shrug:

That he's some still considered a serious presidential candidate is absolutely mindblowing. Like W getting re-elected after staring two wars and tanking the economy. Surely there's no way will choose him again after all that :lmao:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Didn't Laura Loomer start her "career" as one of those "creeping Shariah" types, where she tried to convince suburban voters that one day the True Muslim Call To Prayer will ring out and nice Muslim grandmas all around the nation will bum-rush our nurseries with scimitars? I'm sure she's thrilled she's able to get back to basics.

I was just listening to some Behind the Bastard episode and yeah I think she started by going to some "no-go" sharia law zones with Jacob Wohl and pretending they had to have body guards and armored car to just drive around a city lol.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

OneEightHundred posted:

9/11 is probably way more relevant for the US specifically.
Israel didn't participate in the WoT at all though and the re-alignment from USSR happened in the 50s. Once the Soviets were supporting the Arab side mode I think it was pretty set.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Weatherman posted:

What's the gun for?

It is for fun.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Probably not him since he's a "journalist" so would get 1A protections, but whoever leaked it might go away for a while

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Panfilo posted:

People like this should be recorded, named and shamed on Twitter. Now I'm not expecting anything to actually come of it, but it's a chance to make the rear end in a top hat and his supporters feel just as uncomfortable as they make everyone else. It forces other sympathetic people to have to twist themselves into a pretzel to simultaneously defend him while not condoning what he said. Cancel culture him!

Twitter is right-wing media now

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yes but you see that was also a trick by Hunter

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Does this count as a hate crime?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mercury_Storm posted:

Well NVME drives are the closest thing we have to permanent RAM storage now I guess?

Intel Optane :rip:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So this is like a day old so pretty ancient by internet standards but I don't think I've seen this posted here (or the two Elon threads)

https://www.threads.net/@seth.abramson/post/C2RjUytuEEY

I'm sure neither of these two assholes in question are new to anyone here but seeing the two interact like this (again) is just :barf: especially considering the whole context from Tucker's involvement in the insurrection, getting shitcanned by Fox and then platformed by the Elmo here and now getting his absolute bullshit boosted with the moronic "!" reply

I hate these assholes so loving much. Especially Elon I think, because he still tries to preted to be some kind of enlightened centrist while Tucker is just the fash that he is.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Panfilo posted:

OK so Ukraine got invaded because they weren't allowed to have guns? And conservatives think nobody should help them because "they had it coming"? :psyduck:
https://twitter.com/FenixAmmunition/status/1754978029103612347?t=QKQCq6YAhAPJzKq0kBiEyw&s=19

Also they gave guns to everyone as soon as the invasion started, but turns out they're not quite enough against artillery and cruise missiles

:stonklol:
vvv

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 7, 2024

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Slo-Tek posted:

So, my curated feed is all full of mainstream newspapers saying "Trump said he'd sell NATO to Putin if they didn't pay up". Which he has said before, and threatened to do before. None of the various right-wing crank websites I also follow have mentioned it.

Interesting that the usual bloodgargling psychos appear to be trying to ignore this to death, rather than praise it.

Am I looking the wrong places? too early to have focus-group tested responses? Actually a radioactive thing to say according to polling?

The maga chuds are now isolationist when it suits them and will happily throw everyone else under the bus.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mooseontheloose posted:

Isolationist in the sense that they just want America to bomb people they disagree with hell to anyone who disagrees with them.

Well yeah as I'm saying it's selective. War in Europe is none of our business, should get our of pointless wars in the middle east, but also let's bomb Iran and escalate poo poo with China hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think I'll ever get over the "pop musician is a Pentagon psy-op to elect a "radical-left" president" conspiracy. Just lmao.