Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
The whole "left Rush" has been tried, and it died under an avalanche of liberals hand-wringing about civil discourse and other such poo poo. The left today refuses to fight fire with fire. Insert "Social Justice League" comic here.

Gantolandon posted:

Because the media are not about educating people, but making money. And without financial backing, the main source of the income for the media are advertisements. So first, they need to ensure that they are read by people with substantial purchasing power, which is usually the middle class, or rather its wealthier parts - which can afford more expensive stuff.

Screaming about patriotism would be counter-productive here, because your audience doesn't like that at all. Many of them consider themselves intellectuals, so they avoid reading regularly anything that could make them appear unreasonable. Everything considered "extremist" is not reasonable, and therefore disliked. Arguments to moderation make their boners hard as titanium. They absolutely love professionals (because a job is an important part of their identity), and hate ideologists.

Because of that, a liberal media corp which would try to educate Republican electorate would either be ineffective, or lose income faster than they can gain.

This is right on. For some reason, the only thing liberals love more than free trade policies is false equivocation - if you believe in something really strongly, you must be as bad as the person literally advocating fascism. What is it about the American left and their seemingly unique disdain for ideology of any sort?

Radbot fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

shots shots shots posted:

Educated people are typically well-off and support many liberal viewpoints. A perfect example of this is the success of stuff like "The Economist", which supports stuff like gay marriage and weed legalization, but diverges from college leftists when it doesn't support harshly redistributive taxes and a bunch of social justice stuff.

OK, SilentD. It'll be interesting once your theory is put to the test by the best educated generation in American history having the worst job and asset accumulation prospects. There's nothing terribly liberal about the idea of cannabis legalizaiton, and I think you could easily lump gay marriage into "social justice stuff". The Economist is liberal in a neoliberal sense only.

Quick question - at what point, precisely, do taxes become harsh and redistributive, and why were the much higher taxes in the past not so?

Radbot fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 17, 2012

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

shots shots shots posted:

As far as education, every generation ever has been the most educated generation in American history, more or less. The job/asset accumulation might be tricky, but the adults graduating into Vietnam helped put Reagan in power later, and the adults graduating during Reagan years are more or less calling the shots now.

In other words, prepare to be disappointed.

I'm not sure what Vietnam has to do with anything - we're talking about money, and there's lots of young folks that don't have it (and they would have had they graduated with the same education in the Boomer cohort) and no real reason to think it's going to get better. I'd like to agree with you that every Tom, Dick, and Jane with $50K+ in education debt and no job is going to be subscribing to The Economist and railing against capital gains taxes but I'd like some reason to believe that first.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

prefect posted:

Is that because the planes are so expensive or because it's actually difficult to destroy one? It seems like they're awfully complicated, and that crashing one by accident wouldn't be an unthinkable thing.

It's not actually true. You'd only lose your wings if you were doing some willfully negligent, something that the military doesn't like proving their elite naval aviators are capable of.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Eulogistics posted:

That author is loving the tears so much. I'm also not sure if he understands how irony actually works:

Why would he be loving the tears so much? Was the GOP fighting to keep the payroll tax cut in place?

This is another reason why I dislike conservatives like this so much. The only thing they seem to care about is taxes, and yet they're so clueless that they don't even know the difference between payroll and income tax, let alone the mechanics behind marginal tax rates and marginal utility.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I think we just need to compromise and find a balance here. One side isn't seriously considering gun control, the other one talks about murdering random people because of the black man taking their guns. The answer is in the middle, guys.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

As I said it the Freep thread, these guys do realize that literally every amendment in the Bill of Rights carries some major legally enforced provisions and restrictions right?

Why is it cool to have restrictions on something as innocuous as speech, but unforgivable to put them on guns?

Probably because most of America is full of mouthbreathing retards who couldn't spell Supreme Court precedent let alone tell you what it meant, and gun owners are a subsection of that larger group?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I thought it was a good thing to keep narcotics out of the hands of the filthy plebs that use public hospitals?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Boondock Saint posted:

I'm at work, so I'd rather not open this (you might want to throw NSFW tags up too), but is this the video of that shirtless guy wandering around with a shotgun who basically runs into a SWAT team around a corner and takes a burst of fire from the leader?

Yep. I thought it was going to be awesome but it was just kinda sad.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

Its only entitlement if it doesn't effect you - right wing motto

Yeah but something tells me the average Drudge reader isn't getting his or her Percocet scrip written at an NYC public ER.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

SilentD posted:

It is, but that's not the worry. The tragic side is that if the worst happens we'll probably see people gunning down Democrats. IE, more shootings of Mosques, malls, Democratic campaign offices and stuff like that.

I thought you were for stuff like that?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Unzip and Attack posted:

I'm hearing a lot of people bitching about their taxes going up this paycheck. From what I understand, this is due to an increase in order to pay for SS. Is that correct? Can someone briefly explain what process led to this specific tax increase occurring?

The Making Work Pay payroll tax cut expired.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Ballz posted:

Not really. Neither side wanted it. It was originally only meant to last a year (2011) but then got a one-year extension in 2012. The payroll tax rate is back to what it was just a couple of years ago and while it sucks, it's not something anyone should be surprised over.

Funny how people shouldn't be surprised their payroll taxes went up, and how they also shouldn't be surprised that the Bush tax cuts stayed largely in place for the wealthy.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I was at a CPU the other day (Contract Postal Unit, basically a full service post office that has been privatized like everything else in America) and, as soon as I entered, a guy started going full on Levin on everyone in line. No one was talking to him, but he started literally bellowing about how how funny it was that Obama's kids had armed guards and apparently our kids aren't precious enough to need them (a reference to a recent NRA ad), and talking about how Obama was building mosques in Egypt and how he was a secret Muslim.

The woman standing next to him meekly said "You know, I'm a schoolteacher, and the last thing I think is going to make us more safe is more guns in schools." He then started yelling directly at her about how everyone was living in a fantasy land, and how we must all be Obama voters. I looked at him and said "You don't know anything about her or anyone else here. Men fought and died to protect the right to free speech in this wonderful country of ours, it's pathetic that you're screaming at someone for exercising their Constitutional right to put you in your place." (I'm aware this doesn't make a lot of sense, but I was rattled and I'm not pretending to be an Internet tough guy).

He started talking again and the clerk at the front said "Hey! Enough!", which he decided to ignore until I muttered aloud to my girlfriend, "Sheesh! He sounds like one of those Occupiers. Always shoving it down your throat." That promptly shut him up, and was made all the more hilarious by the fact that I marched in 2011's Occupy protests.

Then as I was leaving, a different woman came up to me and shook my hand and thanked me for saying what I did, then I got in the car and laughed at how ridiculous this situation was with my girlfriend.

I guess I posted about this because it proves that my time on D&D has helped me debate and discuss with all different types of people. I'm not going to shout you down if I overhear you talking about how Obama's a Marxist - I don't agree with that opinion, but you're entitled to it. If you talk about how futile gun control is, I also don't necessarily agree with you, but there's a lot of data to back up your point, too. When you start screaming like a street preacher at people in line at a post office, though, it seems like the best tactic to engage you with is the "no true conservative" approach. If you loved America and the Constitution and the troops and capitalism as much as I do, well by God, you wouldn't be making such an rear end of yourself, you dirty hippy!

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Crameltonian posted:

I know I turn to Fox News for the latest news on what's cool and what's not cool. I'm mildly surprised they haven't come out and called for the revival of workhouses at this point, dignity through work' and all that poo poo. Plus they get to label anyone who doesn't want to become an indentured servant a filthy no-good skiver and leave them to die on the street!

Victorian-style workhouses would actually be a step up for the legions of homeless folks who can't find work.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I think the real question is, what percentage of self-identifying Democrats watch MSNBC, and what percentage of self-identifying Republicans watch Fox News? I may be surprised, but I think I could guess the outcome.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Considering the majority of Americans don't even understand progressive marginal taxation or what FICA funds, you can safely ignore almost any American speaking about taxation that isn't posting in D&D. Oh, and the GOP blocked the payroll cut extension.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I think SilentD actually lives in reddit, that's the only place on Earth I can think of where you'd constantly be assaulted by militant atheists.

aka shit_that_never_happened.txt

beatlegs posted:

That there are assholes on both sides of the political spectrum is unsurprising - and irrelevent. What matters is how much control a party gives to it's assholes.

This is something hard for SilentD to grasp; that atheists are a non-factor in the Democratic party, whereas fundamentalist Christians are a driving force.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Whether or not scam artists really believe their schtick is irrelevant, what matters is that their main purpose in life is to fleece scared people out of their money while, in this case, simultaneously poisoning political discourse.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Death Himself posted:

Beck admitted in an interview that he doesn't know how people believe the stuff he says or something to that effect, I'm sure someone has the link handy but I don't.

Of course, so he doesn't go all Alex Jones and start looking like a crazy man in an uncontrolled environment. I'm sure he'd go right back on his program and tell them he was just pulling wool over the interviewer's eyes, Colbert style.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Glitterbomber posted:

I've only shot skeet a couple times but it looks like he's either shooting them as they come out of the launcher just to gently caress around or holding it in the basic standing position for a rifle or shotgun.

So basically either he's a guy who just likes to dick around with a gun in the most safe and sport based method possible or he has enough understanding of it to know the basic positions to be in, hardly ground breaking either way but I'm sure there's some right winger who will try to make this the newest -gate.

It's already been dubbed Skeetgate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYH7_GzP4Tg

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

BiggerBoat posted:

Maybe because most of them aren't white.

Uh, duh? Same reason it's OK for a CEO to get paid orders of magnitude more in options and other compensation than any sports star would ever receive.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I thought cuts were a good thing? Why are they blaming Obama for something they like?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

SilentD posted:

You're making a mistake if you think Republican obstructionism and blame shifting here is a unified idea, it's not. Where they hosed up is that the libertarian wing thinks it's a great idea because they've never had these sorts of the cuts on the table before, and the neoconservative/establishment wing of it is scared shitless.

But that's what you get when you forget that the most important part of being a political party is marginalizing the more radical elements of it and making sure they never touch power at all.

Sounds like the GOP is a complete failure in your eyes, then.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

BiggerBoat posted:

Obamacare, killing BinLaden, drone strikes, indefinite detention, cutting taxes, raising benefits for veterans, etc. They hate every idea they ever had when he does it. Obama is the greatest Republican president we've had since Reagan.

At least it's fun engaging them on stuff like that. "Oh, so you don't believe American Muslim terrorists should be killed? Are you part of the Occupy movement or something?"

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
There was a hit-and-run at a crosswalk in front of a high school near where I live, the woman turned herself in a few days later but the kid is still in critical condition. Half the comments on the articles about it are some form of "well even though the kid had a walk signal and the car ran a red light, the kid is still partly responsible because he didn't look both ways".

Just-world fallacy knows no bounds!

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

WorldsStrongestNerd posted:

If he had looked, he presumably would not have stepped in front of a car.

I'm sorry. I don't believe in victim blaming but that just bothered me.

I'm sure you slow down at green lights when you're driving to ensure no one is about to run a red, correct? I really hope you've never, ever proceeded through a green without slowing and looking both ways because you'd look like a real rear end right now if you haven't.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Ira Glass is at his best when he stays away from political topics that show his neoliberal side.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I loving love America and how I don't need to give a poo poo about the contorted reasonings some ex - soldier dreamed up to justify his sociopathy.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Nyyen posted:

What is it with this thread that every angry, wannabe black-flagger pops in to tell us how black and white their world view is and how much a true believer they are in any number of emotional and shallow ideas about political and global issues? Are you jealous of the rights monopoly on unthinking zealotry? Are you worried the left might try to understand the complicated nature of issues and actually try to deal with their social and cultural causes?

Is trying to see why once innocent and good people can be driven to do bad things by forces outside of themselves too threatening to your idea that you are one of the few "who gets it", or maybe its just too hard to imagine a world where the badguys didn't set out to be badguys, but could have instead just been trying to escape whatever blue-collar shithole they were born into, and found themselves mailed off to a country that wasn't even at war with us when they signed away 8 years of their life?

Stop projecting all over me you baby. I meant precisely what I said and no more.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Personally I can't wait until Rush gets down with trapstep, or perhaps some moombahton to appeal to the Latino demographic.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Also a global economic apocalypse which destroys the industrial and commercial demand for gold will, somehow, increase the price for gold! Somehow!

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Funny how SilentD is apparently the approved shitposter in these forums. Who else can go and claim that the Nazis were left wing and then take off without any repercussion?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

BiggerBoat posted:

Apparently. I guess I mean the way they use and employ the technique is masterful and clever. Instead of going on a direct diatribe about KISS being devil worshipers or D&D leading to suicide, they'll say "so Satan's Knights played a show last night in Nancy Pelosi's hometown of San Francisco to raise money for..." or "and those D&D types were so busy gobbling acid and killing themselves, they forgot to commit voter fraud on election day!"

They just sort of ease these terms in there instead of making them the focus of the story or whatever. Just drop as many "ACORN", "Kenyan", "Marxist" and whatever in there while you're discussing the Boston bombing - things that have nothing to do with the bombing - and the terms take hold.

Was right-wing messaging like this in the 90s and before? I don't seem to remember it being such meme-y word salad.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Libertarians probably do have the most logical ideas if you completely ignore the fact that human beings are social animals and that a prerequisite for a free market is a stable and functional society with cooperation between all members. If human beings were money in, productivity out robots that did not form groups or have prejudices or possess life goals outside of "hoard as much money as physically possible" then libertarianism would be a perfect belief system.

I don't think it would work even then. Libertarianism has no good solution to problems like the tragedy of the commons or other elements of game theory that reward free riders.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Goatman Sacks posted:

So, GOP non-person Chris Christie wants to build a dune to prevent another Sandy from causing 30 billion dollars in damage to his state. People with shore property don't want their first floor view of the ocean obstructed, so they're doing everything they can to oppose it. Anyway, Christie is saying gently caress you, we'll save money by doing this. This makes him a big government RINO.

Just make anyone who doesn't agree sign away their right to purchase federally funded flood insurance, problem solved (since no one would).

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
They are aware that libertarianism is essentially far-right ideology in many respects, correct?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Arnold Schwarzenegger is about as conservative as Obama is, judging by his track record as governator, possibly less so.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Hollywood is the epitome of the phrase "socially liberal, fiscally conservative", that's about all you need to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

greatn posted:

Let me be the first to say if Cumulus drops Rush, and he strikes a deal with XM, I am canceling my XM subscription so fast and telling them exactly loving why.

I'm honestly surprised it hasn't happened yet. XM has no reason to exist except in rural areas with poor FM/cellular reception, areas which tend to trend conservative.