Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

SpeakSlow posted:

So, who's willing to speculate how much of the lead-up and execution of Jan 6th is in that data dump?

I doubt Trump communicated directly with him on jan6, but stone and jones likely talked, and it probably covers some of what stone and Trump were discussing. Which is influenced by what Trump and bannon, Trump and flynn, etc were chatting about in real time that day. I call this group the "unhung traitors."

I am <fingers crossed> hopeful there's direct messages between flynn and jones.

E: there's a nonzero chance jones' handler will be revealed. He's totally an asset. Maybe blow it wide open. Don't expect it tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Trump was planning to appoint Alex Jones as Secretary of State.

Jesus, wut!?

I missed that

Wow

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Lol I know this is the RWM thread and nothing is off the table but it is a joke

Oh goddammit. You had me!

Anyhow, Jones is never took an oath to the constitution so far as I know, so I can't see him getting hung.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Murgos posted:

They just make stuff up. Have been for a while now. Fact checking them doesn’t work because they don’t care if you know they’re lying.

The people they are talking to will never check.

Goon project: factcheckingthepillowman.cx
We could be the next brown moses!

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Murgos posted:

Secured storage, ‘with a lock on the door’ doesn’t not meet the storage requirements for TS SCI material.

Obviously this implies, definitively, that they are declassified - else, why store them in lesser security?

So yeah, make em public donny, like is done when declas happens!

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Murgos posted:

If Donny had just proclaimed them declassified and published them there would be such a memo from the security office about how if you had a clearance and you look at them you’d be in jeopardy of being criminally prosecuted. Even though a billion people had read it.

and the result of this would be that nobody working for the government - and everyone that isn't - reads it.

Just like when wikileaks did its thing

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Zwabu posted:

Plus, there has been dialogue for months, on the record, with government asking Trump and his people for the rest of the poo poo and he's been holding out so that invalidates any "we inadvertently packed it" talking point. If so you'd give it back as soon as it was called to your attention, right?

Obviously Trump is a shithead who never had consequences for anything and didn't think he'd be able to be made to give back the documents. This is just the beginning of consequences. Getting searched at Mar a Lago is the first consequence. It's an embarrassment regardless of any argument to the contrary to how this is a big win for the GOP because it galvanizes the MAGAs. It underscores that he is not in fact the president and is just a schmoe hoarding secret papers.

In chess terms, trump is 'pushing pieces.' Like, releasing the warrant and receipt through Breitbart was the best move he had, but it doesn't change the situation on the board.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I feel like they could have found someone better to be the face for this whole "discovered misconduct in my own department and did the right thing" thing.

They tried, and no, they could not

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Murgos posted:

My favorite ‘what if’ speculation is that maybe the FBI took his Republican Party Kompromat files…

Yeah, I've been pondering this myself...

If - hypothetically - Donald Trump has been blackmailing (say) senators...

Trump has publicly announced that safe's were cracked and emptied.

A few binders of photos are referenced on the receipt.

There could plausibly be senators losing sleep right now wondering if trumps power over them is gone, and also whether the feds have it now.

I dunno. I kinda try to let go when I mean on massive blackmail narratives because it would only take a suicide and a letter to the nyt and such a lot unravels.

Republican senators ought to have voted to convict, by all rights. The policy of child separations should have prompted the 25th.

But it's not a massive blackmail scheme. It's a cult. With light blackmail mixed in.

I think. Cause I don't wanna go more insane.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Doslobnald truslobmp

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Donald Trump should be seriously concerned about an execution sentence

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm one of the people who thinks nothing will happen to Trump purely because the Dems do not want to set a precedent of presidents actually being punished for their crimes, but even if I did think that Trump would suffer any kind of punishment, they are not going to loving execute him, Jesus Christ.

yeah, but if it were up to you - would *you* have him executed?

And if so, isn't that worth sharing on whatever platforms you use?

tip: if you word it as 'donald slob should be arrested, charged with treason, convicted, and handed the harshest sentence elucidated in the US Constitution', any platform will ignore any 'reports' your post receives; if, on the other hand, you openly advocate for the execution - that is, death by violence - of donald 'the slob' trump, you will get a tempban.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

OneEightHundred posted:

The thing with Assange specifically wasn't the ad buys, it was the DNC hack, which basically turned into a Rorscach test where some people decided that the important thing was the airing of the DNC's dirty laundry about knifing Bernie or whatever, and other people deciding that the important thing was that a foreign country was trying to help elect a staggeringly unqualified senile moron by giving them the one-sided advantage of illegally-obtained internal communications.

The ROI on the ad buys was so high because they (the IRA) were using data that Cambridge Analytica stole from FB and did further analysis of.

I was an Assange defender myself, until I worked out that guccifer2.0 planted the false narrative that Seth Rich was Julian's source. Working backwards from there, it seems as though the 'purpose' of Rich's murder - was to pin a body on Hillary right before the election. Also, I started seriously mistrusting Greenwald at that point (2017).

Oh, also, guccifer turned out to GRU agents. And Putin murdered a whole lotta people in the weeks surrounding Seth's death.

Dunno if goosey-two did the DNC hack hisself (actually it's a team of two)

Basically, declassify the unredacted mueller report already

Uglycat fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Sep 6, 2022

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
He fell for qanon. It's a weaponized ARG, and the game is customized to its target. Remember when rosanne fell down the rabbit hole?
Same thing.

I've seen dozens of people fall the same way. Most of the people that fell for the Protocol of the Elders of Zion poo poo (and descended lies) aren't celebrities. It's a problem.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Agreed, a whole lotta suburban assholes with superduty trucks that'll never haul anything, and expensive ARs that only leave the safe if they see a non-white delivery driver. Him and Tucker (see also that hilarious testicle tanning thing he promoted) are probably the worst, but they all seem to have latched onto it.

Its pronounced "super doody"

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Y'all see Matt Gaetz just nominated trump for speaker of the house? He got ONE vote.

What a loser

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Why are those fringe networks even necessary when you can get the same or worse poo poo on YouTube for free

Triangulation.

If you see a claim while flipping channels, you might well repeat it.

If you see another claim while youtubes algorithm feeds you content, you may believe it.

But if you get the same message from both, you're likely to take it a validated, proven, discovered, demonstrated and accepted.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Notre Dame doesn't exist apparently

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I myself doubt it was launched by the chinese government. I believe it originated from china because 1)the us govt claims to have tracked it from there and 2)the chinese govt admits it originated there.

I dont expect any unusual instruments and zero weapoms to be found in the wreckage. Im skeptical that its even any 'more advanced' than any of the other science missions globally that gently caress with balloons.

I think the remains of the infamously co-ordinated 2016 sockpuppet armies used this common occurrance to drive mistrust and undermine us/china relations, exoloiting and reinforcing the (now dwindling, fractured) qanon crowd, and trolling the biden administration to blow up a chinese vessel legally doing what weather balloons all over the world do and cancelling a state visit.

E: also, earlier in this thread credible doubt was raised about whether a modern military even can shoot down a balloon.

Now we know just a tad bit more about us military capabilities, and they spent a million dollars to show us.

Uglycat fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Feb 7, 2023

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
It seems perfectly credible to me that nation-states may employ balloons for certain niche purposes, but by and large the appeal of balloons is the relative affordability of them. Ive only done a few minutes googling, but i think we could assemble parts, build, and launch a balloon that stands a good chance of circumnavigating the globe for tens of thousads of dollars.

Id wager the flight path is likely to cross over parts of china and parts of the continental united states, if it survives to circumnavigate, regardless of where it launched - but this is uninformed speculative guesswork. And it might only have an x% chance of success.

With the low low cost, i'd expect academic institutions and public safety departments operate way, way more balloons than militaries and spy agencies.

Its cheaper than a kit helocopter.

Why would anyone start with the assumption it was the chinese /government/ that launched it? Is every balloon launched in china launched directly by the communist party?

Also, there were rumours that this one was somehow miraculously "steerable", and people argued that it went "off course" (as though balloons follow a course)... and that reinforced the "spy" take.

Like, an actual journalist needs to be researching how many balloons are in the air and how far on average they drift and so on. It seems to me like a total nothingburger built on our collective ignorance about methods of atmospheric research and use cases for ballooning

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Yeah, "testing the fences" makes some sense to me. Also, drone and battery tech are dramatically improved in recent years, so i fully expect there are some new minmaxed designs that can achieve feats thay would have been impossible 20 years ago.

But its still not my default assumption. I dont think the presently ruling communist party nor its chairman is interested in souring relations. As i (fallibly) read it, the ruling chinese authorities have zero motive to tempt fate by sending spy balloons over the US - even with plausible deniability. I expect to learn the mission was driven by scientific curiousity relevant to some capitalist operation, and not a perfidious nation state seeking to dominate the united states of america.

E: unless, of course, the us has been sending balloons over China. Then i could see the Chinese leadership insisting on this mission

Uglycat fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Feb 7, 2023

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

LloydDobler posted:

Yes, some schools built "lockdown kits" which included a bucket of kitty litter.

Nobody anywhere has put litter boxes out for kids who are identifying as cats. Also no kids are identifying as cats.

This isn't a criticism or callout but: as much as you post in this thread BiggerBoat I'm surprised you missed that rumor going around. Joe Rogan even repeated it as fact, claiming that "a personal friend who is a teacher had to do this", only to get called the gently caress out immediately and halfway walk it back, which seemed to diffuse it from the mainstream. It was the last time I heard it until you posted anyway. But yeah these things have a life of their own and as long as idiots on facebook want unbelievable poo poo to be outraged about it will keep circulating.

Thinking like a 'social engineer'; we've observed the effectiveness of "someone I know personally had X happen." It's a dark-side rhetorical technique, 'testimony' that exploits vulnerabilities in default naive human reasoning methods (and even humans with expertise in formal logical reasoning remain vulnerable to it). These sorts of urban legends have been observed in the wild with incredible frequency; indeed, this phenomenon is a significant impetus for snopes.com being a thing.

Now imagine a political party, or the defense dept of a nation-state, or a for-hire PR firm working for a petrochemical company - operating on social media, employing a sock puppet army capable of sliding into any target's dms (using persona management software). Imagine this technique has become commonplace, and various bot networks are working against each other, and some work synergistically together, and the population loses its sense of Truth and, with that loss, Sanity declines

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I ran into thw daughter of that diebold ceo at standing rock.

She ended up on the bernie-to-qanon pipeline.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
As someone that marched with the black block in j20 2017 i find it very funny

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Skex posted:

Oh and even if the jury does the right thing it wouldn't prevent Trump from running again and he's probably just looking at a fine anyway. But the MAGAts are acting like it's a capital case that's going to put him on death row.

Is there any possibility, after all four trials end in conviction and a great deal of information is entered into public evidence, that sufficient facts will be established to charge T with a federal crime, one whose consequences preclude his ability to run for public office?

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I honestly think trumps prospects for holding future office are shot now.

First, there's a noticeable lack of street level support for the wet baby.
Then, he's clearly taking a campaign strategy that entails painting the prosecutors and judges as do state agents deserving of execution. This strategy might work against a political opponent, but doing it against a judge and prosecutor in an actual case is foolish. He's going to catch contempt charges and face multiple gag orders much sooner than he'll see a conviction. If he wants to run while being prosecuted, he needs to ignore the courts beyond the absolute minimum, and distract from it by, i don't know, doing stuff unrelated to it.

They have him dead to rights, but his defense strategy isnt a legal strategy. He wants to delay, distract and confound, win the presidency, then order it all to go away (whole punishing all who dared). Thats a hell of a needle to thread, and i dont see contempt serving him.

And i cant imagine him not doing it.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Murgos posted:

The constitution provides one method to exclude someone who is otherwise eligible from running for president.

So, yeah, there’s a possibility. Either he himself gets charged with sedition or insurrection or his “aid or comfort” to the proud boys and oath keepers and etc… who are convicted of sedition and a court finds him ineligible to be on the ballot.

The timeline on this possible outcome is too long to preclude a run for 2024.

Only gag orders and contempt charges can undermine his ability to campaign.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Yeah, i absolutely believe this court could order him locked up, or even kept offline. And i believe he will quickly exhibit exactly the sort of behavior that will lead to that reality.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Angry_Ed posted:

They didn't do it to Roger Stone when he wouldn't stop posting, so I doubt they'll put Trump in jail for 30 days.

Even though they should.

Also, though... trumps experience is that he gets Away with everything. Stone getting away with it only builds on trumps false confidence about this.
He has no advantage in that courtroom. Attacking the judge and prosecutor is not going to play well for him.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
In 2016, sockpuppet armies got Trump elected.

In 2023, they're causing a modest logistical challenge to inbev, who is profiting from the controversey even as they biff it.

It's not a zero day anymore.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

What kills me is that there doesn't need to be any elaborate secret squirrel explanation for Epstein getting ganked in prison.

Dude was a rich child molester in a prison with lazyass guards. Some prison tough took advantage of the chance to make his reputation while the wardens either didn't notice through apathy, malice, or glitchy tech.

But if you want a squirrel explanation, suppose

Trump needed leverage to ensure he would not be removed from office. He has Epstein arrested, feds obtain Epstein's kompromat files,, trump uses those files to secure total party loyalty, avoids removal, takes those classified files when he leaves office. Oh, and has Epstein killed.

Uglycat fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 3, 2023

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
They are zionist antisemites.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

OgNar posted:

Last night one of the Dukes of Hazards guys called for Biden to be hung.
Deleted since then.

Remember way back when, where affirming that Donald Trump ought to be charged with treason, convicted, sentenced to death, and hung had the mod team worried such posts might draw the attention of the secret service?

Because he absolutely ought to be hung, as per the US Constitution

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I'm 2014, I believed zucc would play kingmaker in 2016. The gop definitely made moves to ensure he didn't swing 2016 to the Dems.

In 2023, it was clear Taylor is this season's kingmaker.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
It happened on my 9th birthday, but the way I understand it, under Reagan, there was an op designed to convince everyone on either side of the Berlin Wall that the Wall will no longer be guarded or some such, creating a flash mob on either side of the wall that soldiers would not fire upon.

And it worked, and then an angry mob descended on the KGB HQ, and the scrawny nerd inside barricaded the doors, burned all the documents, slinked out the door pretending to be a civilian hostage being released by the big bad mean James Bond type agents, then he had his caterer conspire with Bannon to get Trump elected.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

MrUnderbridge posted:

It's like a pinball machine up in that skull: flashing lights, the ball of thought getting bounced around at random, bleeps and bloops, and eventually the flippers miss and the sentence ends.

One key mistake: it's not at all random. He's mimicking, poorly, the conversations he's had in the last week, weighing heavily the conversations he's had in the last day. This is not random; it carries signal. It reveals the sorts of conversations he's partaking in, and it reveals the character of the people he spends time conversing with.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
"Cloud cuckoo land" also derives from Greek.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

selec posted:

The metrics on 2016 Russian efforts, when you get down to the actual attributable posts, are hilariously bad. Just like...worse than maybe a second tier Congressional candidate who we never heard of in terms of actual impressions.

I was with you (re: jingoism and the ubiquity of disinfo broadly, including the technique under discussion) until this bit.

The "collusion" between the Internet Research Agency (under the FSB) and Bannon's Cambridge Analytical was inexpensive, but profoundly effective. They got Trump elected, started qanon, and convinced everyone that they didn't start qanon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

BiggerBoat posted:

Whenever someone I talk to advocates for beating your kid(s), I usually just reply "I don't hit children".

I mean, hell, I don't hit anybody but I especially do not hit kids.

I used to tell people "me, I'm a pacifist; I've thrown my last punch."

Since 2017, I've changed that to "I'll never hit a child. Or a dog. Or an adult. I will punch a Nazi."