Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
One trend that's freaking me out as I think of it is that future Republican leaders will be growing up listening to Fox News, rather than simply using it to air their views. You can sort of see it in the 2010 Tea Party. While Republicans during the Bush years and before just sort of used stuff like abortion and gay marriage as bait for their base, the new guys will actually do everything they can to stop it. Not to mention all of the idiots who decided to vote against the debt ceiling increase after they got what they wanted anyway because Glenn Beck or whoever said that it means borrowing more money from China.

Especially now that the Kochs criteria for backing candidates are "has a pulse" and "will do whatever I say."

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Heard a Hannity segment on the radio today. He had a former Obama supporter who said she was disappointed and would be voting for the Green Party. She disagreed with drones (Hannity disagreed politely.) and then talked about racial division that's simmering despite his promise to heal it. She didn't say Obama was fostering it, just that it was happening.

Yes, it's Obama's loving fault that Gringrich gave speeches at the primaries about lazy black people and that one Romney supporter wore a "Put the 'White' back in the White House" shirt. How dare Obama force me to hold the sign with a picture of him as a tribal shaman!

Then she used the phrase "Stalinist takeover" to describe Obamacare.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It's like the saying goes: when Republicans get bad news, they want to kill the messenger; when Democrats get bad news, they want to kill themselves.

All you need to do is look at the debates for proof. Obama flubs the first debate, and right away Matthews and other liberal pundits were ready to hand the race to Romney then and there, all the while excoriating Obama and his team for not practicing or taking the debate seriously enough.

When Romney got whipped in the remaining two debates, and Ryan got whipped in the VP debate, did the Republicans collapse in a fit of weeping and garment-rending, claiming that Romney had lost them the election, the same way Matthews and others cried about Obama? Did they gently caress. They immediately blamed everyone within sight: the debate moderators, the liberal media, the audience in the "town hall"-style debate, and on and on right up to Obama and Biden themselves. The only people they did not blame were the guys on their side: Romney and Ryan. They even went further; rather than claiming Romney and Ryan's losses in the debates might have handed Obama and Biden victory on Nov. 6, they instead claimed that Americans would be "turned off" by the Democrat ticket, because Obama and Biden were acting like smug "un-presidential" assholes.

MSNBC has a liberal slant that is undeniable, but to say they're even remotely as bad with their slant as Fox News is with their conservative bias is disingenuous, to say the least. Each time one of the candidates dug up dirt or attacked the other, they still found a way to blame it on liberals.

One fun version of this was during the Republican primaries, where they had to simultaneously shill for each of the candidates. When one candidate attacked or came up with dirt on another, they had to pretend it came from Democrats.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Sme of the sites I visit have been discussing Fox and MSNBC in the wake of the elections, and one thing I've never noticed them mention, even if they defend MSNBC against Fox, is that Fox doesn't just go after Democratic politicians and left-leaning figures, but the segments of the population that vote blue as well. Especially since the election when we hear about entitled poor people, minorities who want free stuff, Muslims who don't speak out enough against terrorism, and slutty single women. Do Olbermann or Ed Schultz on their worst days have segment devoted to trashing "racist rednecks" or "stupid fundies?" Bill Maher does, but he isn't on MSNBC, is he?

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 5, 2012

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I seem to remember Glenn Beck fearmongering about Obama trying to redefine marriage, but a quick google search only brought up this current story.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
While all the hatred may scare away voters, it doesn't scare away viewers, and that's what Fox cares about, and since the network is so linked to the party, it'll be hard to get away from it. However, these past elections show that plenty of people will still vote for the bigots and "rape guys" as long as the say "What matters is JOBS" a lot.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Dec 12, 2012

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
A dark corner of my mind is angry that Glenn "If your pastor preaches social justice, run" Beck gets to spin himself as reasonable.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Wait, they're actually complaining that characters in the movie say the N-word? Did people say the N-word in Lincoln?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Errant Gin Monks posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20649525

No you don't have a place in politics. Now go away.

Lots of people worry are about evangelicals' influence on the Republican Party, but what freaks me out is the Republican Party's influence on evangelicals. Allegiance to an earthly political party primarily concerned with lowering taxes and regulations on the rich at the expense of the poor is all but dogma to some of them. The people who should be the world's strongest advocates for the poor are spending time, money, and energy grinding the downtrodden even further into the dirt.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 13, 2012

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Sick_Boy posted:

Sorry to interrupt the Tarantino talk, but someone has exciting news for you!

"Glenn Beck on Wednesday announced that he is teaming up with actor Vince Vaughn to produce a new reality show set to debut next year on Beck's TheBlaze TV."

Wow! A reality show?! What could it be about?

"“Pursuit of Truth” will pit 20 documentary filmmakers in a competition for financing and distribution for their film."

Documentary films, huh? Tell me what you want, Glenn! :allears:

“I’d like to see the stuff just isn’t done,” Beck said later on the show. “And done right. And done without conspiracy. I’d love to see something on the Federal Reserve, the game that’s being played there. I would love to see something on why capitalism is actually a good thing, why it’s not a bad thing.”

This could be hilarious. I can't wait to see the right wing media bubble producing more and more vile content to isolate its inhabitants.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2012/12/glenn-beck-vince-vaughn-to-launch-reality-tv-show-151146.html?ml=bp

"Done without conspiracy." I hate that this walking pimple turned the right wing insane with hatred, helps a rally to masturbate over Martin Luther King's grave, smeared a survivor of the Nazi regime as a Hollocaust collaborator, and engaged in Holocaust revision in order to prevent people from getting medicine, and now gets to position himself as reasonable.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Mark 12:41-44 posted:

Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a few cents.

Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, “Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on.”

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

beatlegs posted:

So we've seen the rate at which Republicans have descended into craziness over the last few years. What's it going to be like in another 4-6 years? Are they going to become even more extreme, or will they hit a wall of some sort?

It depends a lot on how 2014 goes, which will be the first time the Teabaggers are up for reelection. It'll be a real uphill battle for Democrats.

But I have no idea when or how the right wing media would go sane. The behavior that turns off voters actually gets viewers and listeners, so they'll be with us a while. Moderation doesnt make money. hen there's the problem that new right wing politicians aren't the ones will have had their views shaped by Fox and AM radio.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Kieselguhr Kid posted:

I simply can't draw a coherent comparison between the situations. It reminds me of another terrible macro showing soldiers saying stuff like 'oh, at least they [Wal-Mart employees] don't get shot on Black Friday' (paraphrasing). My response then was: does that imply Wal-Mart employees need to be at least shot at to justify complaint? The comparison makes no sense to me, and anyone who'd feel it probably would already agree with it.

Image macros: probably not a good or appropriate venue for political discussion.

I'd like to take this further. Wal-Mart greeters can't complain despite lousy pay, because they aren't being shot at. They have a significantly greater-than-zero chance of being trampled on Black Friday, but that chance is still really, really, really low.

Doesn't this mean that Wal-Mart, who undertake less risk, hours, and work and get more money, have even less right to complain?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

Heh, notice its based on people with college degrees! Of course they vote Obama. Universities are breeding grounds for communist group think! And who says a college degree means you are educated anyways? If you ask me, a real measurement of intelligence would be the states with the highest level of income... poo poo.... or the lowest reliance on tax dollars... poo poo... or technological development... poo poo... or...

loving elitist Obama!

By the way, if you don't have a college degree, you don't deserve a job that pays you enough to take your kid to the doctor.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 20, 2012

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

Marilyn Manson 1999 - "It is disgusting to associate my music with these heinous acts. I am offended as an artist and supporter of free speech"

Marilyn Manson 2012 - "Oh god yes blame me, I need to be relevant. I totally wrote 'shoot kids' backwards into my latest album I swear to god."

We used to have politicians speak out against misogyny and violence in rap music, now we have rappers speaking out against violence and misogyny in politics.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Unless you hate black people specifically for the color of their skin, you are not racist. You can go onstage at the Republican primaries and make a speech about how black people are lazy, but since you didn't hate the color of their skin itself, you aren't racist nowadays.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Also remember this poo poo from the primary debates when people talk about Republicans supporting the troops.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
People want to feel like they're heroes. The right wing media is so successful because they manage to change the qualifications for being a hero from self-sacrifice to being a jerk to those weaker than you.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Gremlins is also a good Christmas movie.

My exposure to A Christmas Story was in elementary school, I forget which grade, and no one had even heard of it. There was some rule about only watching G-rated stuff, so watching something with a little kid cursing was something special.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 13, 2013

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Armyman25 posted:

Stuck watching Fox News at the auto shop this morning. Why do they all have to yell so much? Everyone keeps shouting. Is this to get people to watch or is it because there demographic is hard of hearing?

Self-righteous bitterness is addictive, and Fox viewers want to see their bitterness confirmed, justified, and acted upon.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
It freaks me out how the right has been engaging in Holocaust revisionism, and how few alarms that has been setting off.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Ramadu posted:

Can you explain what you mean by that?

Pretending that Obama's proposed policies, or anything suggested by any other gun control advocate, resembles anything done in Nazi Germany is revising history. While the Nazis did place restrictions on the people they were oppressing, they removed restrictions on others. The stuff early in Obamas first term, with Glenn Beck talking about how Hitler used UHC to execute the disabled, was even more egregious.

gently caress, I am just angry at Glenn Beck's success. I feel like Kyle in the South Park episode Cartmanland or the people here.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Wasn't NWA also some pro-wrestling thing?

And aren't the people who are complaining about a culture of violence the same people who use "disobeyed orders so,he could torture a man who was not, in fact, a terrorist" as a qualification.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Today I heard about how the fact that Obama even having an inauguration party goes against the spirit if the presidency, which is why Washington almost didn't have one.

So that's another thing that literally every other president has done that they preten is unique to Obama.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I get disliking holier-than-thou liberals and hippies, but I don't understand disliking them more than holier-than-thou conservatives unless you're a true believer. You'd think Limbaugh wouldn't want to hang out with preachers.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Lord Lambeth posted:

It was really funny hearing conservatives making fun of liberals by saying "welp I'm moving to canada now" when obamacare was ruled constitutional. Try finding another first world country that doesn't have some sort of universal health care system then get back to me on that.

Maybe the people you saw saying that were liberals, hoping that an Obamacare repeal would re-open opportunities for single payer :haw:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

watt par posted:

Cue the inevitable barrage of jokes about an armed black man.

So, gun people, is Obama doing anything "wrong" here?

As a non-gun person myself, I picture non-gun person Republicans smugly pointing out that he can't be skeet shooting because he isn't aiming up.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I'm still really surprised that no one seems to have found any reason to talk about Rand Paul's speech.

Disclaimer: I am still too lazy to watch or read it.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Feb 14, 2013

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Didn't National Review post that "Women should like Romney, because his virile seed has fathered strong sons, while Obama's has only created useless girl-children" thing?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Obama isn't bad because he does anti-American things, things are anti-American because Obama does them.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Feb 27, 2013

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Goatman Sacks posted:

Hey check out the comments section of this little diddy on the 1 year anniversary of Trayvon Martin's murder: http://miami.cbslocal.com/2013/02/26/one-year-anniversary-of-trayvon-martin-death/

Racism in the US isn't a big deal anymore.

This is where conservatism is how. Celebrating the death of a child because he has the same skin color as Obama.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

beatlegs posted:

Let's see...a half day's programming on MSNBC versus 24 hours of FOX News, CNBC, FOX Business News, countless rightwing religious channels, countless "beltway" reporters, and a complete conservative monopoly on radio. What's this guy smokin'?

Way are you talking about? MSNBC is all liberal, while Fox has tons of opposing viewpoints, like Colmes and... hold on, it'll come to me...

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
One would think that Fox fans would say that you need a conservative station to balance the liberal ones. Nope, people who are not paid shills actually will insist that Fox gives equal time to liberal views. It's loving insane.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
While getting in the car with my parents today, I heard who I am reasonably sure is Mark Levin asking "Joey" about comparing he size of their Facebook friends list and education credit entails before the station was switched. I say I think it was him because others in this thread have pointed out his surprising amount of education and Master Shake-esque voice.

I'd say the Facebook thing is petty and childish, but at no point in history did even middleschoolers actually use Facebook and Myspace friends list sizes as ammo.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

beatlegs posted:

I don't know if this is being discussed anywhere else in D&D, but CNN did something so immensely offensive it's almost like watching FOX. Watch Candy Crowley and "Poppy Harlow" oooze sympathy and sadness for a couple of scumbag rapists who had just been convicted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQcPzu0YFLU

I think pretty much every major channel released the victim's name at one point too :sigh:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

Maryland is in the process of removing capital punishment, and the vast majority of the comments surrounding it aren't "what if we make a mistake and sentence an innocent person to die?" it's "WHAT IF SOMEONE STABS A PRISON GUARD AND THEY ALREADY HAVE A LIFE SENTENCE, I DEMAND BLOOD"

American culture is still knee deep in revenge fantasies and bloodlust for criminals. We gleefully celebrate prison rape as a form of punishment and our first instinct is to say "not enough time in prison".

So, yeah, reform to allow for rehabilitation is an almost Sisyphean task. Criminal justice in America is nothing short of absolute barbarism with a heapin' helpin' of profiteering and any attempt at reform is going to be painted as "liberals" versus "conservatives" because of the money involved.

One would think fears of big government and disdain for its inefficiency would apply to the parts that actually are allowed to kill people. One would think.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Typical Pubbie posted:

A popular, watered down version of Libertarianism. The transition has already begun.

They're going to take the hatred for gays and redouble the hatred towards poor people. Most of the other enemies will be the same, but hated for more money-oriented reasons.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
This is why Obama is the most divisive president. I remember when everyone was shocked and horrified by Martin's shooting and thought that there should have been more of an investigation. Then, Obama divisively agreed with them, forcing them to change their opinion out of spite. Curse you, Obama, for forcing these poor, innocent not-racists to come out in favor of the shooting of a child.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Yeah, he went on about Keith Ellison for days after he told him off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
So some Breitbart gently caress has basically stalked Obama's daughters and compromised their security for a scoop designed to to stir up outrage that some black girls would dare have a fun and safe spring break.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2013/03/26/esquires-pierce-criticizes-breitbartcoms-report/193252