Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al Dajjal
Nov 3, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

deptstoremook posted:

I get real tired of hearing people complain, because the American right has one of the most effective propaganda/rhetorical machines in recent history and the left seems content in their discontent.

If the Left played by the same rules, it might rock the boat too hard. Think about it: one side uses mostly half-truths to sum up their arguments while the other plays a damage-control/defensive game. For example: all the examples of right wing voter fraud go by without a peep on rightwing radio/tv news, but suddenly it's a problem because immigrants. The right relies on people who are out of touch, stuck in the past, whatever. Conservatism historically has this problem because it is so frequently anachronism.

If the left and right both adopted the same tactics of "we'll make these facts true later" the media machine would collapse and profits would plummet. Leftwing media makes their money steadily by promoting slow change, while the right is reactionary. It fits in with our rigged political system nicely, since both sides are (conveniently) diametrically opposed on almost every issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al Dajjal
Nov 3, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SpaceMost posted:

I think the Left could deploy similar tactics without resorting to conscious lies and half-truths. One thing the right wing media seems to do is effectively use language that makes an issue seem immediate and personal, or use wording that appeals to typically conservative -isms like nationalism or Christianism. It also breaks concepts down into easily digestible soundbytes and ideas that Joe Sixpack can understand and regurgitate. And it does all this aggressively and with confidence.

The Left could do this too, without resorting to the Othering of entire groups (a la "illegals") or the tabloid gossip nonsense like with Obama's birth certificate. I'm sure there are lots of outlets that do do this, I'm just not aware of them.

As an aside, I'm sure many on the Left could find common ground with the some on the Libertarian wing of the GOP, particularly when it comes to foreign policy and keeping the government out of peoples' personal lives. Obviously they won't see eye to eye on the details of most issues, but that's not really necessary in terms of reshaping the broader political climate.

I disagree. It's easier to pitch to Joe Six-Pack and below because they don't mine for information and generally get their news from a limited number of sources (which are usually mainstream). To make an issue palatable you have to simplify it into a black and white, right vs. wrong struggle. The Left often tries to do this by saying that humans are humans and deserve human rights, but the right merely deflects this with a "media bias" here and a "gay agenda" there and pretty soon every coherent argument is swallowed in uproar.

Neither side is trustworthy now, so if the Left adopted a method too close to what the Right does, it would sound too similar and nobody would know who to listen to. At least that's my take. Not saying it can't be done, but I think there's a reason it hasn't.

al Dajjal
Nov 3, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

FlamingLiberal posted:

Olbermann's not on TV. I would say probably Maddow or Chris Hayes.

Bill Moyers has more integrity than any of them. Even Faux is scared of him.