Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
I'm glad Mark Levin is getting the credit he deserves. He's much more relevant now than Savage, and even more despicable. I remember listening to his show when he was talking about healthcare and what can be done to fix the system. His suggestion was to force everyone, no matter how poor, to pay back the cost of their treatment (for the rest of their lives, if need be). No bankruptcy protection from medical bills. I can't remember who the guest caller was--some right-wing medical "expert"--but even he was rendered momentarily speechless by how ineffective and cruel THE GREAT ONE'S plan for fixing healthcare was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Its the greatest joke ever told. Let me tell you the one about a generation of spoiled brats who had the world handed to them on a silver platter, grabbed everything they could shove down their fat gullets, and now that all the low-hanging fruit has been picked they think its high time the younger generations tighten their belts and learn a lesson about personal responsibility. Its hilarious!

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Oct 18, 2012

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

joedevola posted:

Of course as far as the reactionary distraction engine is concerned, Media Matters (or MEEEEDIA MAAAATERS as O'Reilly invariably refers to it) is just a Soros glove puppet.

Which is hilarious considering the site's most prolific writer/copy-paster is a right-wing hack named Noah Rothman.

edit: oops I got sites that begin with media mixed up :downs:

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 21, 2012

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

infinity2005 posted:

RT seems to have some interesting content though at least, and i don't find it that biased.. if you 'unskew' (can't think of a better word) the obvious pro-Russia opinions or little digs at certain groups in what they choose to report on then i think it's good, although i've only been watching for a short time.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by pro-Russia? Is Thom Hartmann a pawn of the red menace?

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Sydney Bottocks posted:

They've had to go through at least three or four conspiracy theories about Benghazi; and when one gets roundly disproved, instead of slinking away into the dark, never to be trusted again, they just invent some new poo poo and hope it sticks.

Because they just know Obama let those four Americans die in Benghazi. They feel it. They've prayed about it, and God has made them feel it is true. Perhaps they practice "free-hand prayer" or whatever it is called, where you pray about something and then write whatever comes to mind. "Obama... gave the order... to stand down," praise God!

If the truth is already a certainty, then the goal is not to find the truth, but to find the divinely inspired combination of unnamed sources and baseless accusations that confirm what you already know. It doesn't matter if each new conspiracy theory you latch on to is debunked by your godless liberal nephew. You feel that Obama wanted those Americans to die, and what you feel is the same as what God tells you, and God can't be wrong.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Not sure where else to post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr1jJhe04ug

Chris Christie tells Steve Doocy to gently caress off, Mitt Romney can get bent, Obama did good.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
I wonder what Hannity did to incur fellow racist Schlussel's frothy but apparently justified wrath? Not enough invites to the Great American Panel?

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Dana Loesch. She's a CNN contributor which is why you haven't heard of her.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

GoatSeeGuy posted:

She's a Breitbartian publicity hound talk radio host from St. Louis. Coulterish sure, but doesn't seem to have the same staying power.

She doesn't go big enough. When you're at the top of right-wing professional troll pile the only way up is to out-troll yourself. By calling the President of the United States a retard on your twitter feed, for example. That's a lot more provocative than something as amateurish as saying you'd piss on dead taliban fighters.

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Nov 2, 2012

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

joedevola posted:

I think the same thing occasionally about the likes of Limbaugh. The ones who clearly have never actually uttered a sincere word in their lives. At some point surely they must have enough money to retire comfortably. Is there some sort of foul vitality that comes with partisan, reactionary hackery? Do they keep going because they'd have nothing else going on otherwise?

Dick Morris doesn't make all that much money compared to many of his peers, but its not just about the money for these people. Its about their ego, feeling in control, feeling powerful. Limbaugh could have retired in complete comfort over a decade ago, but why should he? The man gets paid tens of millions of dollars a year to wake up, put a shirt on, walk down the hallway to his studio, and spend three hours sharing his personal opinions with an army of gullible idiots who worship him. Why should he retire?

I guess what I'm saying is that what these people do isn't hard work. Its much more akin to a hobby. A highly lucrative, exclusive, destructive hobby.

e: Imagine if you got paid $10,000 for every post you made in D&D. Would you ever retire from posting?

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 5, 2012

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

joedevola posted:

What I don't think is possible is to be on the supply side and keep it up with an honest passion every single day.

Maybe I'm being naive.

The single biggest factor at work here is religious thinking. If the GOP represents God in government, and conservatism is divinely inspired, then ultimately conservatives cannot be wrong, and more importantly must be right. Once you grasp this mindset its easy to understand why people like Morris or Hannity can convince themselves they are right even when empirical evidence proves otherwise. Its ok to make mistakes, or to pick and choose which facts you present to your audience ("lie"), or do bad things, because you possess the ultimate truth, and it will reveal itself. Eventually. Its like a dogmatic failsafe.

Even obvious atheists/non-practicing commentators like Limbaugh are affected by this thought process. The thing about Limbaugh is that even if he doesn't believe the poo poo he spews out, he's so old, and he's been doing it for so long, what else can he do? Admit that he is wrong? gently caress that, he'll be dead in twenty years, so why eat poo poo now?

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

MC Nietzche posted:

Libertarian thought gives me pause because it just a backdoor way for us to go back in time five-hundred years, to time of fiefdoms and petty lords. That they cannot see that, or even arrive at that conclusion by logical deduction, worries me. They just seem to think that everything would fall into place, it's utopianism by another name, and must be combated at every turn.

I've had the same experience at my school. I found that talking to your average college libertarian for five minutes will melt away most of the bullshit philosophy. Libertarianism is so paper thin and baseless its easy to pick apart, and the nice thing is most libertarians I've met are thoughtful enough to have an honest intellectual discussion about their beliefs.

It is obnoxious as hell when it goes unchallenged. My favorite is when libertarians clamor for Tort reform as a way to fix our healthcare system, only to turn around and say that Tort law is the best way for a society to regulate itself.

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 5, 2012

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Honestly it's his voice. The people that actively listen to him that are of that mind love him in an almost Beck-like manner, but he drives your average "radio in the background" listener nuts with the nasally yelling. Like someone else mentioned with the Regan fellatio, he also has a far more limited range of topics than your average right wing windbag so he's harder to listen to for 15 hours a week as well.

Seconding this. Mark Levin's gimmick gets old quick. After 6 months of listening to him on the way to work his voice is toxic to me. He sounds like Hannity with his balls in a vice, its awful.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
WHERE IS DICK MORRIS?

BRING US DICK MORRIS!

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Radio Nowhere posted:

The local yacker had the most grounded reaction to his crybaby doom-and-gloom callers, suck it up and move on.

That's why he is local and there he shall stay (my local guy had the same reaction).

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
:siren: LUNCH ALERT :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz4ruyoPqcg

First he had egg on his face. Now he has "a bit of a mudslide on my face." What will be the next substance on Dick Morris's face?

top comments:

quote:

I don't trust you anymore, Dick. You made me angry last night. I will never listen to your predictions again!

quote:

It would have been one thing if Dick had predicted a narrow Romney win, or if he added the caveat that he could be wrong, but he was so sure about the Romney landslide that he promised future videos covering Romney's cabinet members and more. Also, his election coverage suddenly ended when Ohio was called for Obama, which pissed people off. All in all, this will be a bad memory for the GOP for years to come because of the false hope and "oversampling" obsession.

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Nov 8, 2012

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
The one I hear a lot is Romney lost momentum because of Sandy. God must be a secret Muslim too.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

Just a quick reminder that Bill O'Reilly is still a complete rear end in a top hat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7CulHjij98

This is incredible. He really is back to square one: the candidate wasn't conservative enough. The bubble is still intact (Obama is far left, Americans who vote Democrat just want a hand out, blah blah).

This must be the twilight of the extreme right.

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 8, 2012

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Dudes! posted:

LIMBAUGH: It's a race thing. They're just not quite dark -- as dark, and they're oriented toward work.

Oh my God. I mean, good. Yes, Rush. Let it all out, man. Let it all come out.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
This Santa Clause analogy has to be the dumbest thing he's come up with in a long time. Especially since he thinks Santa Clause gives free stuff to everyone, no matter who they are. I'm pretty sure the whole point of Santa Clause is that he only gives stuff to people who deserve it.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
But... I would buy an ObamaClause holiday sweater in an instant. :(

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Not at all. It should bother other people more.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK8sT7250io

Lets go all in, folks. They're gonna dump on us anyway.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
There is always more.

quote:

CALLER: Well, you and all the women of Fox, I don't know who was the scout that got you guys, but they -- they rock.

ALISYN CAMEROTA: It was Brian. But thank you very much, that's very sweet.

KILMEADE: It was -- it was, it was actually, we go into the Victoria's Secret catalogue and we said, "Can any of these people talk?"

CAMEROTA: You're so --

KILMEADE: And they all could, and they all went to college.

CAMEROTA: You're so crazy, Brian.

KILMEADE: I am not crazy.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2012/11/16/foxs-kilmeade-on-how-fox-hires-female-hosts-we/191435

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Blastedhellscape posted:

It is a really clever way to jump on the conservative media gravy train: say you're an atheist, regurgitate talking points, then watch the profits roll in. That's probably the reason she sounds so half-hearted to you too. It's really obvious that she doesn't believe any of this poo poo.

I think SE Cupp believes her own poo poo as much as her cognitive dissonance allows. She's the poster child of young conservatives who are too educated to take the Bible literally, too socially conscious to believe gays are out to destroy America, and too up her own rear end privileged to believe that her side could possibly be working to subvert the rights of women and minorities, because look at me! I'm a woman. But like all young conservatives she can't let go of the Christianist Republican safety blankey she was raised with, so you end up with the obnoxious strain of false equivalence and well poisoning and topic derailment which are all Cupp's forte. She is the ultimate concern troll.

A great example of this is her latest appearance on Bill Mahr's show, where she takes a minute to 'splain gay activism to Andrew Sullivan of all people. She is so damned aggravating.

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 19, 2012

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

SilentD posted:

When you come out and say that you're an athiest and christians are stupid but more American's should be religious because religious people love America and vote for the right party, you aren't even trying anymore.

As a former conservative, I'm not convinced. I used to think a lot like Cupp does. It wasn't an act, and it took me years to finally snap out of it. The power of religious thinking and its effect on people (even ones who are self-styled atheists) cannot be underestimated. With the way Christianity dominates our society should it really come as a surprise that there are people who don't believe, but still place Christianity on a pedestal? Its a matter of culture, not belief.

It is possible that Cupp is a brilliantly cynical con artist who has fooled the media establishment into paying her to be a conservative commentator, but I don't buy it. I think she's a well educated (privileged), intellectually weak, attractive woman who climbed the ranks by slumming on shows like Red Eye where she did segments with her bare legs propped up on a desk. She's a perfect example of the absurdity of modern conservatism as our society slowly transitions out of white christian male dominance. What surprises me is that there aren't more people like her on TV.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Guilty Spork posted:

"This Thanksgiving, if your relatives disagree with you on politics, you should ruin the evening by being an argumentative rear end in a top hat. For AMERICA!" -- Sean Hannity

This is funny, because the point of that segment (according to Hannity) was not to argue with your "gloating liberal relatives" now that Obama has been re-elected. Instead Hannity advised his listeners to avoid arguing by "not getting angry," but instead to pretend to agree with your insufferable fucker of a liberal aunt (roughly paraphrasing there) by saying that all wealth should be seized and redistributed, and all A's should be made into C's, and generally (I'm not exaggerating here, only paraphrasing) to be a smarmy, passive-aggressive megacunt who trolls his own family at the dinner table. I can not emphasize enough how this really was the gist of the segment.

FAMILY VALUES

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Eh, she's only a year younger than me, and that was pretty much the way most young ladies looked back in those days. :v: She's pretty foxy in that pic, but her current style definitely suits her a lot better.

I think she's dreamy. :allears:

http://www.mediamatters.org/blog/2012/11/21/foxs-tantaros-treats-food-stamps-as-a-diet-plan/191497

Andrea Tantaros wishes she could live on food stamps. She'd lose all that icky fat lol!

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

I really want to see a left-wing pundit, or anyone, crush this right-wing dillusion that conservatives are somehow more pro-family than liberals. As if wanting to help single mothers somehow makes you anti-marriage. :wtc:

Relevant:

http://divorce.lovetoknow.com/Divorce_Statistics_Republicans_vs._Democrats

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Monkey Fracas posted:

Biggest mistake I make regarding marginal tax rates is assuming people already understand. Most people I talk to about it get it if they don't accuse me of lying. How you can pay taxes once and not know how they work is beyond me :psyduck: I can see why it's so easy for the conservative propaganda machine to mislead people.

Because most people in this country don't make enough money for marginal rates to come into play. At least not to a significant degree. Its a simple concept to grasp when it is explained. Most folks are just unaware of it.

And while there are many problems with our tax code, the marginal rate on income is not one of them. Its a fair, progressive system. Its only problem with it is the brackets, which haven't been updated in... 70 some odd years? I remember reading a chart that showed how $250,000 back in the 30s or 40s was worth around $2 million in today's dollars.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Walter posted:

Of course the folks who actually make enough to be in the higher brackets understand this, right? If you make that much money and believe you could potentially be subject to a higher rate, you would do the research to find out if that's true or not, right?

Or is research a pussy liberal idea? Is math and tax policy now a "gut" thing, too?

Yep.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2012/11/26/foxs-gretchen-carlson-mangles-tax-policy/191512

Gretchen Carlson doesn't understand how taxes work, and I'm guessing she makes more money than anyone posting in this thread.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Under a marginal tax rate, tax payers are most often divided into tax brackets or ranges, which determine which rate taxable income is taxed at.

I'd say this is the most misleading part of that explanation. Tax payers are not "divided" into different tax brackets. To the layman that makes it sound like people are separated into different brackets based on how much they make, which is the opposite of how the marginal tax works.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

NVaderJ posted:

It's hard for me to decide which show is more vile - The Five, or Fox & Friends. Something about the way Steve Doocy, Gretchen Carlson, and Brian Kilmeade brainlessly spew hateful garbage whilst maintaining goofy and happy on-air personalities makes them a new and improved sort of vile.

The Five really gets under my skin. Greg Gutfeld is a twat of a failed comedian. Edgy conservative humor is the worst. Besides that, discussion on the show means taking turns interrupting Bob Beckel until he clams up, folds his arms, and spends the rest of the show with a scowl on his face, chucking the odd quip at Eric Bolling. Dana Perino is a former Bush staffer, and I mean that in the most appropriate and negative way possible. Then there's some other woman who's face changes seemingly at random, but everything else about her remains exactly the same. Its kind of creepy.

gently caress that show.

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Dec 1, 2012

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

In all fairness, if you are trying to craft an argument that will convince the most Jingoistic of our society, using the mythology of the great American soldier as a comparison to modern warfare is probably very effective.

This. We need more flag waving from the left, not less. Co-opt ARE MILITARY and the right loses a valuable jewel in its crown.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
S.E. Cupp dictates what is and is not a disservice to a victim of domestic violence. Also, why don't liberals think of the hurt feewings of all the poor gun owners out there who are the real victims.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/s-e-cupp-battles-steve-kornacki-over-bob-costas-shameful-pitch-for-gun-control-during-nfl-game/

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Some one should study the psychology behind conservative memes/catch phrases/tropes. The one I see a lot lately goes something like "Are you really [denigrating right-wing sacred cow]? Really? Really?"

An alternate version of this is "Can you believe that??" *clutches pearls*.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Walter posted:

Any student at a public university (particularly if they're classified as in-state) who identifies as libertarian (in the now common "no taxes / socialism is bad" mode) deserves to be publicly and mercilessly ridiculed.

They'll argue that because their taxes go to paying for public university they might as well attend and get their money's worth, but if the government would get out of education and let the market work its invisible magic we'd all pay less for college.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Then you realize that "fiscal conservatives" aren't fiscally conservative at all since they believe (sincerely or otherwise) that tax cuts lower the deficit. They literally use government debt to pay for their tax cuts, and government spending to enrich their friends at Koch and Haliburton. There's nothing fiscally conservative about them.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Peven Stan posted:

South Koreans seem to be wary of US Forces Korea whenever they go and kill their children and get off scott free, which is what Psy was mad about in 2002.

It was an accident. Innocent people should not be subjected to a show trial for any reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Crasscrab posted:

It's something that wouldn't have happened if large, military grade vehicles weren't barreling down a civilian road in a country that isn't their own.

Quit trying to justify the stationing of United States military personnel, bases, and equipment in foreign countries. There's absolutely no reason why either South Korea or Japan need the United State's protection. Both countries have militaries that are perfectly capable of defending them in the event of a (highly unlikely) war.

Nice strawman. No one is justifying the US military presence in Korea in this thread. This is about ensuring innocent men are granted a fair trial. If S. Korea doesn't like it they can renegotiate the SOFA treaty.