Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
They're nihilists, Donny. These men are cowards, there's nothing to be afraid of.

I think we had our chance to put these fucks in their place during Reconstruction and opted instead to incorporate them for the good of the country. And now this poo poo has metastasized, and wishing it were geographically contained is a pipe dream from the early 20th century. Confederate ideology has found its place in the official character of the United States. To take out the cancer now would cause tremendous damage to the body. They won't aggress because the counter-revolution doesn't need to act, it just needs to disorganize and demoralize. Also, poo poo sucks btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Sir Tonk posted:

"That poor white Australian boy got Trayvoned by those urban feral youths and the media just won't talk about it." -Freep

This story is literally Drudge's perfect link. He's been obsessed with black on white crime for years and this has everything he's ever wanted in it.

I blame conservatives for Duncan, OK, for making red-state rural towns such terrible places to grow up. Seriously the kids in these places are just dangerously, pathologically bored and made of anomie. It's the old South, but everywhere. If it's being undercovered, it's because the Australian media is totally preoccupied with their federal election in a few weeks.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Let's check and see what the FRC is worked up with now

I know FRC is full of assholes who hate gays but now women troops? These quotes are mind bogglingly misogynistic and sexist as hell.

gently caress you, FRC. Sci-fi authors are pretty much unanimous on this point. Co-ed military is a giant step forward for society and you are society's rotting appendix.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Seriously?

I know trolling is part of Fox's mission statement, but it isn't supposed to be this obvious.

What is it about America in particular that makes high profile cases ignore this one simple loving rule. If you are acquitted of MURDER, GO THE gently caress AWAY! Bury your Floridian child-killing heads and never show up on the radar ever again. Because you literally got away with murder. The loving shark-like greed of this fucker.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Oh god they look exactly the same. I assumed Fox got the name wrong because they are incorrigibly and consistently lazy.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

sleepingbuddha posted:

After spending two hours on the phone with Comcast support yesterday to fix a problem that was their fault, I find this hard to believe. And it looks like AJA is only on their upper tier cable sub, so I don't get it.

Does anyone else find most of the left wing news shows just as intolerable as the right wing stuff? I'm a huge liberal, but I was trying to listen to Progress radio on XM and found most of the hosts to be just as obnoxious as Rush, Hannity, Levin, et al. I'm not trying to start a derail, it just seems that both sides are often intentionally dense, ignoring obvious information so they can blast the other side. But I suppose that's the point.

There is progressive radio? I thought it was like 90% conservative. The good stuff's all on podcasts. Try The Majority Report, it's super half-assed but has a giant audience, and he has a lot of big-name guests. If progressive radio sucks, it's because it's a shadow of the rightwing alternative and no one listens to it. Podcasts, man.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Also economics is fundamentally tied up in human emotion. In reality things like utility are based on quick, emotion based judgement calls by people who are lucky to have 1% of the available information on the product they're judging.

Economics is where misanthropic autists flee to get a second chance at advancing their terrible opinions, by attempting to mathematically justify their abhorrent worldviews and gently caress as many people as possible. If not for economics departments and Congress, there would be no such thing as a mainstream conservative. Not counting think tanks because they're fake economics departments.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Phone posted:

then turn around and start complaining about how the Hispanics take more than they contribute to the church.

Whoah, stop. This is kind of a milestone that we should all observe. Please, new Pope, tell me more about how the worldwide Christian church isn't morally bankrupt beyond any hope of reorganizations around its founding principles.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

We're not all misanthropic autists. :colbert: (Just the entirety of the Austria and Chicago schools.)

Economics is mostly notable for A) having dreadful macro models and B) being much more directly related to political agendas than most soft sciences. There's plenty of interesting and decent analytical work that goes on, but the closer you get to either the halls of power or the macro-er topics, the more the guys reading chicken entrails are going to get coopted.

Nah, many of you do good, important work that creates value (economic and otherwise). Keep it up. I'm sure you're appropriately ashamed of some of its national and global applications.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

cafel posted:

MLK extemporized key lines of one of the greatest pieces of rhetoric in recorded history. What a sick burn, I guess he should have used a teleprompter and fully prepared remarks like all the truly great speakers. That is the Republican line on reading prepared remarks, right?

the Republican line on any given thing, as presented in the format of the 3 Laws of Robotics
1. Advance corporate power, be a vote for eventual corporate rule.
2. Hit the Democrats and bring them pain, where doing so would not conflict with the first law.
3. Be reactionary and make life worse for as many as possible, unless a company or election against the Democrats demands otherwise.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Threats about disruptions are pretty :yawn: since there is so little in the consumer economy that anyone regards as more than interchangeable and transient. Dick's Sporting Goods closes? Oh hey, here comes Gander Mountain, with 20% off kayaks for their grand opening! Gander Mtn. fucks off for free land sixty miles outside the city? Welcome, Cabela's, AR-15's and two free magazines for all! Maybe part of the reason the right can feel persecuted is that the economic arrangements they've ushered in command very little in the way of actual affection.

Even wingers defend this American economy in the abstract, there's not much to love about what actually winds up in front of them. I think this is why the right has been so aggressive and activist in the last thirty years. While on-paper support for the ideology is at a high, the right knows most citizens harbor serious dissatisfaction with the way things have gone, because even Glenn Beck viewers nurture these Communist Leanings themselves. And a righteous reactionary has a peculiar and very consistent way of addressing personal flaws.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Not to get all /r/atheism, but I'd imagine for rightwing Republicans, it's not difficult to imagine all evil and personal torment emanating from a singular, mythical and inaccessible entity. I mean seriously he's the loving Antichrist to these people.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Good Citizen posted:

Recently he's started referring to the affordable care act as BoehnerCare and it's glorious. He is the pudgy personification of the malignant cancer destroying the party country world.
:getin:

Fixed.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
I agree with the sentiment, but Rush Revere is such an absurd novelty I think if I was building a book collection, I couldn't not pick up a copy. Hopefully in thirty years, possession of such a book will be cause for suspicion and ostracism, and not an eBay $300 collector's item.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

JerksNeedLoveToo posted:

Holy poo poo, both Rush Revere and that horse are riding deep into Uncanny Valley.

If that's the real cover. I've come around. The money doesn't matter, I'd feel ill knowing that thing was in my house. gently caress. These loving people. I can't. I can't even.

Jesus Rush is as wide as three well-heeled men from the 1760's.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
If the NYT were a real liberal outfit, they'd stop doing their bestseller list and Bill O'Reilly could stop making automatic appearances at the top of it simply by sorta writing and sorta promoting a book. And wingers would have no idea which of the four dozen monthly rightwing book club texts to get, and would have to buy all of them or none.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Good Citizen posted:

Until this moment I was sure that it was the most absurd book in existence. I think we have a new champion.

The debate is over whether that absurdity is worth acknowledging and filing into the annals of history, or utterly rejecting and refusing to engage with. It always comes right back to: what do you do with conservatives? Do you laugh at them or do you play ball?

loving lol at Einstein getting involved in Management. Jesus that right there is insulting enough to make me down some detergent.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

Part of that disconnect is the divide between the Tea Party 'no compromise' Republicans and the rich, one percenter, business Republicans who would prefer that the government still somewhat function so that they can continue to earn obscene capital gains profits.

I wish there were a disconnect. The latter uses the former as a legitimate threat against the Democrats, and since they are actually that crazy and will blow this motherfucker up, the Democrats have no choice but to concede every time. It's how you'd politic if you were an invading army looking to endear yourself to 50% +1 because your tanks were running low on diesel fuel.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Joementum posted:

Are the forest fires in the American West this summer the result of weather and negligent campers or Islamic Terrorists? Guess which of those two choices World Net Daily went with!

Well if the fire wasn't set by lightning how else could it have started? A hunter, hiker, or camper dropping a cigarette? Nah, probably the notorious Colorado Springs Al Qaeda cell.

War Nerd wrote a thing on this on how firestarting is shockingly underused and forgotten in modern irregular warfare. You could actually torch most of the West if you had a bunch of guys and a disastrously dry summer.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

swarthmeister posted:

Has there been any right-wing media outrage about the first lady advocating that we drink more water? Whether it's swapping out soda for plain water, or just drinking another glass or two daily, she's started a new "drink up" campaign in her national health focus. Given the typical GOP reaction to her health initiatives (eat healthy, exercise more, etc), I was expecting some juvenile contrarian rhetoric about how she's wrong, but haven't seen any yet. Has she finally found a health topic that's too sensible for the right to fight?
Are we going to see elevated rates of hospitalization for dehydration within Tea-Party groups?

I don't know what else to say. This is an attempt at political genocide. She's forcing a right-wing boycott of loving water. Keep on dazzling me, First Lady.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Business Gorillas posted:

What made Mother Theresa such a bad person? I was just a kid when she died, so all I heard were good things about her.

She was a loving weirdo. Someone please post a hilarious article.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

This is like treason on a teaparty bastion that was once run by Andrew Breitbart.

It's a passing interest in having real power by being on the right side of the economically safe popular issues. It's not who they are. They're on the wrong side of every single issue, like genetically or something. They know it holds them back but it ultimately doesn't matter because it's who they are.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

You keep on loving that chicken, Alex.

Although he does need to stop his fussing about the New World Order and focus on the real threat to the human race: psychic lizard aliens.

I don't know, like at all, why these people don't just listen to Art loving Bell or something. Good at his job, personable, upfront about the real purpose of the show: entertainment. Shut down modern radio. It just makes people depressed and schizoid and Republican as hell.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah, I am even annoyed the Daily Show is having him on because its not like Jon hasn't had his piece with the guy already

Stewart doesn't really understand these people, and he's too fascinated and stunned by them to properly hate them. He also can't seem to get past "These people cannot possibly be serious." It's obvious to most everyone else that they do mean it, and are perfectly serious. Which is why his hands-up-in-the-air and incredulous blank faces get old as hell. Still he puts on a fine show, does some decent journalism, and forming up the vanguard really isn't his job.
I don't see the point of him having on Billo over and over again. They're not the same sort of creatures, no matter how hard Bill pretends to be decent.

Some on the far left don't like what he does at all. I don't agree, but here it is if you want to read it.
http://exiledonline.com/the-rally-to-restore-vanity-generation-x-celebrates-its-homeric-struggle-against-lameness/

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

ReindeerF posted:

Rush is also a huge Francophile. However moronic he may be, he does have some bourgeois tastes.

Isn't that just since they tried to ban the burqa there?
My conservapop has a weird affection for France as well, probably for this reason and their general cultural conservatism. I don't want to tell him the difference between cultures worth conserving and those than aren't.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Monkey Fracas posted:

Hell, even NPR has Tea Party-types on and lets them talk like they've got anything legitimate to say. It's loving infuriating. No self-respectin' red-blooded conservative listens to NPR anyway, so who the gently caress are they trying to placate with this hand-wringing "ooohhh maybe we should listen to the other side or they will openly disparage us" bullshit?

They cannot stand to be called the liberal media. Every time they hear it they crabwalk further to the right. They also apparently suffer editorial control by the worst of all possible corporate owners, the House GOP.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Monkey Fracas posted:

I'm really considering just not listening to NPR any more, but there's literally nothing else on the radio worth tuning in to other than the local Gen-X-y rock station (93.1 Chicago, not bad) or the local Spanish stations so I can keep up with the language (and wacky morning Spanish shows are like wacky morning English shows ^10, which amuses me).

It's the only actual "content" on terrestrial radio so I do kind of rely on them. Some shows do say not-nice things about Republicans, "On the Media" comes to mind.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Oh my god it's worse than I could have ever imagined. This is truly all this man and his followers care about. To be cradled constantly by the visible reassurance that they are a cut above your everyday bloke. Except they have no. other. way. to demonstrate this, so they just buy, and buy, and buy. Everything they lack they try to buy, but it just falls the gently caress apart since purchasing is such a flawed way of expressing oneself. And so they despise the contractors and laborers who failed to make them whole.

What a hideous place to call one's home. Fit only for the cockroaches that have the run of the joint when he's not there.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

Conservative comedy is basically doing something that causes actual harm to an actual person and book-ending by "Heh, sorry if this isn't POLITICALLY CORRECT enough for you," and "It makes liberals mad, so I must be doing something right."

"Whatever pisses off liberals" is actually the only way you could hope to define what is today's conservatism. It's easy to forget how much these people hate the mythical liberal, and you too if you claim to be one.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I find myself wondering if they're talking about it endlessly so people think about Obamacare less. Because...uuuuuhhhhh...Obamacare kind of, by default, expands mental health care access. Which means crazies doing crazy things would end up happening less.

Can't be having THAT, now can we?

You think that good mental healthcare will end your shootings? Nothing will end your shootings. Your society is malstructured and you all hate each other.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

miscellaneous14 posted:

He's great at constructing just the right kind of boogeymen for the crazies in the US to point to for all the nation's problems. I honestly think the guy is a really good actor who figures he's already made mad bank off the nutcases, so now he's just seeing how loopy he can be without people catching on.

I think it's a mistake to assume that all accomplished people think about stuff constantly and are forced to choose conclusions from the flow chart we're creating. Alex might pass his entire work day without having a single distinct thought condensate on his brain. He could run his whole work day like you run a .exe. He may then finish up, get in the car, flip on NPR to find out what the gently caress is happening in the world his actual body occupies, go home and behave utterly normally. The madness of his life need not ever occur to him. Whatever you do is your work, if you don't get fired you keep doing it, if the checks get bigger you do it harder.

Or he may be totally off the rails but also possessing a savant's interest in fat checks and being a millionaire. I don't know, I'm not the government. I don't have nanobot cameras inside the man's eyeballs. Good guy for a biopic, no doubt.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

RWW posted:

Warning that if people don't forcefully assert that their rights come from God, then the government can take them away, Beck explained that the Founding Fathers created the Bill of Rights in order to prevent the government from ever infringing on the God-given inalienable rights of the citizens.

What.
In.
The.
gently caress.

I don't think a tyrannical, atheist government really puts much stock in my assertion that my rights come from Sky Goku and thus cannot be altered. But the second point wisely knew the first one was bullshit, and so created the Bill of Rights to give those rights a bit of substance and backing. The third point went right the hell back to Crazytown and argued that the government codified these rights in order to prevent them from ever being the property of the state?
This man is not talking. He is singing in a language beyond my grasp.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Lycus posted:

Welp, so much for freedom!

Man, small business owners are a pretty homely looking, somewhat dim bunch. Do they all come from the same Christian business college in Arkansas?

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

Not really, on talk radio the general response was 'his comments are awful but he shouldn't get fired'

I've never heard 'talk radio' used to describe the nonconservative variety, or whatever remains of it. Terrestrial talk is something like 90% conservative-libertarian, with what's left of the progressive shows eeking out an existence on iTunes.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

I will never eat in a Jimmy John's after hearing the stories about how they treat employees and threaten to fire them often if they get sick and can't come in.

Right-wing media connection!
Jimmy Johns puts up all the same funny signs and posterboards in their stores and one of them is that list of annoying "the world doesn't owe you poo poo" platitudes misattributed to Bill Gates. I think it's this one http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/schoolrules.asp

quote:

And by the way, before you save the rain forest from the blood-sucking parasites of your parents' generation, try delousing the closet in your bedroom.

quote:

Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your grandparents had a different word for burger flipping. They called it opportunity.
This is in every restaurant and it's kind of grating.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

ReindeerF posted:

I assume the real pressure there was, "I want to have a career and the only path is through this disgusting piece of poo poo's penis" while the $100 was just a tip. I'm sure I exhibit views that aren't 100% tolerant of whatever all the time without noticing it, but I could never understand the psychopaths who force/compel/pressure subordinates to have sex.

Good, the less you know about the restaurant industry, the better.
Ailes lowballed because the difference between what he paid and what she wanted counts as his rape dividend. Pre-tax, pure gravy. Oh my god stop posting now, agar.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

ReindeerF posted:

Worked in the restaurant industry several times in my life when I was younger, you don't possess any special knowledge, heh. My point was, he wasn't paying $100 for sex, he was dangling the career for sex and the $100 was his pittance tossed to the plebe. The more you learn about how high-level business world psychopaths think as you get older, the more you'll understand why Ailes did this. Every deal with the hoi polloi is about driving people down as low as they can get and then, if you fancy one of them (as in this case), tossing a bone back while you extort them further.

Agreed.

Here's the John Birch Society's current headquarters. I got a laugh out of it, don't know why. Check it out next time you're at the Culver's restaurant in Appleton, WI. If you think about it long enough, no D.C. office dungeon fits the JBS quite like these digs do.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
The government can still do things for you, and still be the government, but never our government. That's going to be the undertone for every 'hapless private business' story Fox runs. If you want to try and make a fundamental distinction between the people in a Medicare office building and those in a Kaiser office building, it's way easier if you've already otherized the first bunch.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Brains that have the same answer to every possible problem do not get much exercise. Someone starts paying the brain to think this way, and these guys become functional drug addicts.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Plinkey posted:

The Tulip Mania of our time.

The Great American Bubble Machine. Elevators to the top leaving daily! Please queue courteously. Or whichever way, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

FuzzySkinner posted:

Greg Gutfield just said, unironically

"Data mining is a must in this world, and the NSA is necessary because there's no alternative"

A self professed "libertarian", folks.

Wait what, libertarians don't misrepresent their own positions, not ever.