Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyatlov Bass
Apr 16, 2012

by Fistgrrl

BiggerBoat posted:

the right wing media machine has really succeeded in moving the Overton Window

http://www.amazon.com/The-Overton-Window-Glenn-Beck/dp/1451625286/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350456468&sr=8-1&keywords=overton+window

:shepface:

I've read it. It's not anything like you'd expect until you realize that Glenn Beck is the greatest loving troll that ever lived. Or just batshit insane. The protagonist is a self-insert Mary Sue and his plucky squeeze is basically Glenn Beck's television/radio persona with a vagina. It's honestly the most bizarre thing I'd ever read, and I've seen poo poo.

Anyhoo, I feel like Bill "gently caress It, We'll Do It Live" O'Reilly deserves a spot on that unholy pantheon for basically mastering the art of ruling any discourse by shouting it down, and literally inventing "The No-Spin Zone". He's probably one of the principle figures in the establishment of this idea that you're being fed a bunch of bullshit by the Lieberals and their left-wing media, and it's up to ol' Uncle Bill to sort through it for you. He gave Dennis Miller a name and a voice long after that unfunny shill should have been selling his body for drugs, had his own little circle-jerk with Glenn Beck for the longest time, and nowadays gets by with playing off Jon Stewart for some "street-cred", dragging the niche Greg Gutfeld out of the appropriately-named Red-Eye and into the hourly bullshit of FOX News's madhouse (The Five, the conventions, etc.), and "Watters World" which is basically Jay Walking but if Leno was instead Tobey Maguire's goony-rear end Peter Parker, interspersed with video clips which in context were probably the inspiration for the gif of the :psyduck: exploding into :ironicats:s, and all of that dragged out over ten minutes. Really, the only parts left from way back, before most of his poo poo was put up for display in the Bullshit Mountain town museum, is Talking Points Memo (worse than ever), and Pinheads & Patriots.

I could say more about how Bernie loving Goldberg has become the voice of reason on his show, or having a cameo in Iron Man 2 says something about something, but I'm pretty much rambling now. Basically, when historians write about the mind-numbing horseshit that poisoned and drowned the national discourse in America, Bill O'Reilly will be one of the horses' asses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU