Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I'm pretty conservative, politically, and my view on conservative media is that there are different gradations of media. There's stuff that's high on fluff and polemics and low on actual content and there are articles and such that, in my opinion, have a good amount of content. I believe talk radio has the worst signal to noise ratio with far more "Obama Sucks!" than say, the Cato Institute.

Although conservative, I love looking at issues from all sides and am good friends with a few committed liberals and we enjoy (mostly!) discussing politics. My dad, on the other hand, gets his news almost exclusively from talk radio. Over the years, my positions almost seem "liberal" to him because his news diet over long years is almost exclusively is "Lefties are satan".

I agree pretty wholeheartedly that people seek out their own points of view and even if they want to, have a difficult time looking for media that doesn't fit their per-conceived notions or support already held viewpoints. I have to force myself to get out of the Drudge / Washington Times / National Review whirlpool much like my liberal friends who I discuss politics with have to get out of the DailyKos / Washington Post / ThinkProgress circle.

A good article on "confirmation" or "myside" bias is here.

One of the interesting effects, in my opinion, of myside bias is that people will remember facts and figures that support their position and not remember facts and figures that support their opponent's. After the 2nd Obama / Romney debate, I discussed it with a lefty friend and I remembered all of Romeny's landed punches, he remembered Obama's. Each of us knew the other side scored points, but couldn't remember what they were.

Lastly, a question. Is there a liberal media news aggregation site that's like Drudge?

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

SpaceMost posted:

I'm genuinely curious -- What examples from the "DailyKos / Washington Post / ThinkProgress circle" do you consider as misleading or false as what comes from Drudge or Fox? What did Obama say during the second debate that you feel is objectively as misleading and vacuous as the things Romney said (allowing for the fact that politicians will speak in generalities on topics they're uncomfortable with)?

My point was, not that Drudge is more or less false or misleading than DailyKos. It's that reading news from only certain sources reinforces one's viewpoints. Bias isn't just a slant in the articles, it's also shown in what's being reported. For example, Drudge will almost always report on some TSA malfeasance or government waste or misdeed. Even if both examples are entirely accurate and not slanted I'll still never read about the carried interest tax credit on Drudge. I won't read about how Bush seriously relaxed the rules on non-hedge trading speculation. WaPo will carry that. MotherJones will carry a feature on prison privatization.

When my friend and I discussed the debate, he and I agreed on the points scored, we just couldn't remember the specifics for the other guy's points. In my opinion, because of myside bias.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Huffington Post and Salon.com come to mind, though they're not nearly as influential amongst liberals.

Yeah, I have to read HuffPo more often. I watched the second debate on Huffpo's streaming.

Also, if I don't respond it's because I will be on my motorcycle for the weekend with no internet access. :woop: