Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

Radbot posted:

This is right on. For some reason, the only thing liberals love more than free trade policies is false equivocation - if you believe in something really strongly, you must be as bad as the person literally advocating fascism. What is it about the American left and their seemingly unique disdain for ideology of any sort?

The right has pushed this idea that "the ideology of the left failed in '68!" because Bill Kristol said it did, who said it because Irving Kristol said it, and the other neo-cons pushed that line of attack during the 80's and 90's leading the left to decide that it couldn't run on it's ideology, because it had been poisoned.

That's why it's impossible to even be a real libertarian on the right. You can't be pro-choice, because that's a liberal policy, and liberal policies have failed. Because of the 1968 Democratic convention. Seriously.

It's just marketing, and the right wing won out on that. Which is also why we have a thread dedicated to the loopy alternate reality game that is right-wing media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Just gonna leave this right here.

I didn't get to see the debate, what is Romney supposed to have been right about?

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

You're just going to have to watch it for yourself. Please proceed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzdWnigWY0o&t=58s

e: Found a little longer video.

Oh, for gently caress's sake. I think that conservatives have gotten so used to taking things out of context that they cannot even understand the context in which things are said, anymore.

Also, gotta love that PolitiFact lists the claim that Obama "waited two weeks" before he called the Benghazi attacks an act of terror as being "half-true." Answer's somewhere in the middle, I guess.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

Given the audio that broke where Petraeus said "if I had run for president Ailes would have managed it and Murdoch would have financed it," you have to wonder if Fox News is at all interested in keeping the moderates who aren't die-hard conservatives but simply prefer Fox News to the other cable news networks.

Then again, those moderates are probably not watching Fox and Friends.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I'd imagine that a good 80% of young progressives were dumbass libertarians or pseudo-libertarians at one point. If you're a relatively intelligent person, there's a huge draw to the whole Randian "Use Your Mind to Shape the Universe" outlook. I mostly just think that teenage libertarians are adorably naive, now.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

Basically I'm saying anyone over the age of thirteen who thinks these books are serious, thoughtful works may have a cognitive disability.

The funny thing is that I started reading about Objectivism before reading Atlas Shrugged. By the time I started reading it, I was already having doubts about the whole thing, and after I finished the book I had lost all respect for Rand and her philosophy. Once I realized what kind of terrible human beings she held up as being heroes, I was done with it.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

quote:

Hollywood is seldom just about money. It’s about propaganda. And if you defy the party line, you stand no chance of winning. So when Dinesh D’Souza’s movie got passed over, I wasn’t even vaguely surprised,” noted Dan Gainor, VP of Business and Culture at the Media Research Institute. “Is that bias? Of course. Jack Nicholson was close: Hollywood can’t handle the truth. And they can’t handle disagreement. Their one-sided view of what deserves awards underlines that.”

The fact that this idiot is part of "The Media Research Institute" and yet has no idea that the character he's paraphrasing ordered a man to be murdered, then lied about it and tried to pin the blame on two innocent people because of his delusions of grandeur is pretty hilarious.

Then again, so is the fact that this "documentary" has about as much truth to it as a Disney historical fiction. I guess Loose Change is technically a documentary, too. Maybe they should submit it to the Academy.

Also, I guess that "hit" is a relative term. Last I checked a 33 million dollar gross is pretty bad.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

The thing is, the film is trying to point out something that the Germans learned a long time ago: fascism is a thing that's part of human nature. The leftists in the student revolution wanted to goad the state into proving that it was still run by fascists by provoking them to violence. They killed each other and committed acts of terrorism.

Think about the climax of the movie. It ends with the "good guys" beating a dead Hitler while they wait for their own deaths. One of the heroes destroys a huge collection of historically significant films to get revenge, and dies in the process of doing so. The end of the climax is a dead person laughing as both sides die, with the "good" guys murdering a bunch of unarmed Nazis who came to watch a film, and then committing suicide. Not only a suicide, but a suicide bombing.

Then, in the end, the last two Basterds who are still alive carve a swastika in the Nazi field-marshal's head so that he can never, ever not be a Nazi. No redemption, no second chances. He's marked as a Nazi for the rest of his life. He was a horrible person, sure. But he's marked as being utterly irredeemable. Meanwhile, the supposedly virtuous good guys murder the radio officer that was accompanying him for no reason, after promising not to, simply because Aldo knows that he won't get into any real trouble for it.

They're really not portrayed as being heroic in any way. But, you know, Nazis.

[edit] Spoilered that, even though the movie is pretty old.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

But the audience who's clapping for them sees them as virtuous. That's the point, it's like a Rorschach test. People see a reflection of their attitudes in how they view each character.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

The more we work with the UN, the faster Nicolae Carpathia becomes antichrist and installs a one world government, making Christianity, freedom, and heterosexuals illegal.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

A lot of people simply refuse to believe that life isn't like an action movie where a "good guy" with a gun is immediately distinguishable as such to the authorities, and a "bad guy" with a gun can be easily and quickly dispatched by said good guy.

Conservatives in general are big fans of magical thinking and delusion when it comes to guns.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

It's terrifying that the current GOP makes me long for the halcyon days of the neo-cons being their biggest influence. At least the neo-cons at the top know and admit that it's all bullshit.

When your party makes Bill Kristol seem reasonable, something has gone very wrong.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

Your link is broken, but lest anyone think that it wasn't real: http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...7532_story.html

Honestly, I didn't believe it until I read it myself. Holy poo poo. Shine on, you crazy diamonds.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

Jonathan Davis, the lead singer of Korn, is also a loving crazy right-wing conspiracy theorist. Their last album was about the illuminati, I guess (I listen to good music, so I wouldn't know :smug:). If I remember correctly, he's also done a bunch of interviews questioning the "official story" of what happened on 9/11.

I stand by my contention that talent and right-wing views are inversely proportional when it comes to American musicians. Although, I do like some of Ted Nugent's stuff, but really only because he has really loving good taste in equipment and has a killer tone.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

Pander posted:

I don't even know where to begin. It's like they're Teddy Ruxpins with NRA talking points cassettes inside.

It's pointless to talk to them. The people who watch Fox News and listen to Rush and Beck all day long don't have arguments, and they don't have reasons. They don't see things with nuance, they see things in black and white, and this is a black and white issue. The 2nd Amendment says they can have guns, so they can have guns. There's no subtlety, it's plain and it is what it is.

Not all gun owners, or even gun enthusiasts, are like that. In fact, most aren't. But, in all honesty, the people who you're talking about that just spew talking points, they don't want a discussion. There's no discourse to be had. It's FYGM with guns. The only thing you'll get from trying to engage them is a headache. They're irl trolls.

It's the same thing as right-wing christians: the majority of them don't believe the terrible things that the guys on top say, but the vocal minority of the minority are loud and idiotic, and a lot of people are afraid to question it or just think that it goes without saying that they're not like those crazy people.

BUSH 2112 fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 17, 2013

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

Crossposting this from the pictures thread because it's pissing me off more and more as I read it.

At first I thought this was just the garden variety right-wing silliness, but that one line at the top really makes me mad. "Introduce teen Girl-Scout delegates to the concept of 'sexual rights' for children without their parents' consent." It just makes me incredibly angry that we have all kinds of people who are trying their hardest to eliminate rape-culture through direct action, social media, and awareness campaigns, and here you have these people from the stone age decrying the fact that little girls are being taught that they have the right to not be loving raped or molested. They're mad that girls are being taught that.

I just, I don't know. I don't know how they do it, conservatives. I need a break from reading their insane bullshit, because I just have disgust fatigue.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

pentyne posted:

I'm not ready to rule out some Republican becoming immensely popular and uniting the party cohesively and appealing to moderates.

Known potential 2016 GOP candidates: Rand Paul, Paul Ryan, Jeb Bush, Rick Perry, Chris Christie, Marco Rubio.

I think the chances of any of them appealing to moderates is exceptionally tiny. I know that someone could come on the scene who does appeal to moderates, and of course we're still a long way out from the election. But, I think it's safe to say that the GOP has no intention of moving to the middle. After they get creamed again in 2014 and 2016? Probably. But, no way that they moderate their views before that, and they'll poison every national candidate who has to take those views live on television.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Yeah his videos are loving terrible. Everyone in the comments is jacking off over Thatcher, how can anybody see what she did was good? Seems like Americans love her, but the Brits hate her guts because they actually had to deal with her poo poo.

The spectacular failure of Thatcher's government on every front (besides the Falklands, I guess?) is something that American conservatives can never, ever admit. Remember, conservatism can never fail, it can only be betrayed. Admitting that Thatcher was wrong is effectively admitting that their basic ideas of how to run everything from schools to corporations is entirely wrong, fabricated from bullshit economic and social theories.

Of course, they can't admit that, no matter how blindingly obvious it is to everyone who isn't a rich white guy or who doesn't worship rich white guys.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

radical meme posted:

Well Mark Levin was hawking a new book today, his dad's. The whole first hour he just read from a book written by his dad about George Washington. Don't worry though, he got back around to selling his own book during the next two hours.

You know, I never listened to Mark Levin until I found this awesome right-wing internet radio station a few days ago. I spend (what felt like) two hours listening to his show, and goddamn. At several points he was calling for violent action against the US government, which I had assumed was as illegal as yelling "I have a bomb!" on an airplane.

He also hilariously segued from literally screaming into the mic to doing a commercial for Goldline. He should listen to Beck for some tips, he's the Picasso of weaving that bullshit directly into what he's talking about. I actually respect that about Beck in a weird way. He's an artist with poo poo.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I never watch Fox News and usually keep my right-wing craziness intake to catching Beck, Rush, or Mark Levin, but I joined this new gym and they had Fox News on the TV near me, with The Kelly File on. I gotta tell you, I've never seen so many race-baiting stories, with complementary inflammatory headlines, in my entire drat life. Nor did I know that Megyn Kelly had her own show!

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I didn't read that it was Rush before I started reading the quote, and I actually thought that it was someone speaking in favor of raising the minimum wage as a way to get democrats elected and make the country better. Until I got to the part about Michelle Obama picking up stragglers on her private government jet or whatever.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

Their new song is gonna drop soon, it's called "Then Everybody Stood and Clapped."

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

Let me tell you all: if you didn't see Stossel this week, you want to tune in to FNC at 10 to watch it. I saw it last night at the gym, and I have to tell you, it's like marvelous tapestry woven entirely of bullshit. Every word that's spoken, in the entire program, is so wrong that I honestly just have no words to convey the state of incredulity that it left me in.

Also, it's "Stossel University", done with an audience of totally not prescreened college students. It's just great, seriously.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

One of the funniest things I heard on FNC, that was just such a distillation of how ignorant they are as a whole, was during a segment about medical coding. They were going on about how there's about to be seventeen thousand! new medical codes that will cripple/destroy/murder the health industry. One of the new codes is for "contact with a venomous frog," and this Fox News panelist (there were 3 of them iirc) looks at the camera all incredulously and says "venomous frogs don't even exist."

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

They're kind of right. They're poisonous. Venom is injected, poison is ingested or absorbed through contact :eng101:

gently caress, I am bested!

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

But, the administration changed talking points! During an election! Which isn't illegal, but there's just something about that Obama that I don't trust. There's a darkness about him. Something black in his soul that lets republicans know that he might be shifty.

Swan Oat posted:

I like his women characters, I find them nuanced, realistic, and very human.

The point at which I stopped watching The West Wing was sitting through an episode called "These Women" or something equally cringe-worthy, the entire plot of which was basically "these broads sure are almost as great as we are, boys."

BUSH 2112 fucked around with this message at 13:46 on May 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

Radish posted:

So you have candidates A, B, and C and A winning. The idea that if candidate B drops out, all of his voters go to C and C then wins is such a GOP pipe dream. The reality is that they would probably end up splitting in some ratio that still allows A to win with some just not voting at all. If Cruz the slimy, amoral theocrat drops 100% of his supporters aren't going to flock to Rubio the establishment empty suit boy-man and vice versa. It's sad how these guys are desperately trying to pretend they have any agency in Trump winning or losing.

I may be wrong on this, but if the RNC party leadership said "hey, Trump is going to totally gently caress us, we're dropping his rear end", they could pull the plug on him at any time and have a brokered convention. They'd suffer huge backlash and probably be equally as likely to lose, though. I actually kind of thought that was Trump's plan, for a while, and I'm not convinced that it isn't his plan. He knows, and the GOP knows, that he'll get absolutely crushed by Clinton, despite what any of the polls show this far out.