Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
I'm so sick of all these elvish and klingon immigrants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

Cakebaker posted:

I started noticing this the Christmas before last when one of my friends suddenly was very annoyed about the song Baby its cold outside being cancelled. This being Sweden I hadn't really heard the song before, and all I could say was that it seemed blown out of proportion.

Then this Christmas another friend brought up the same thing. Pointing out that he was late on the ball seemed to work as a better counter than trying to argue against the claim itself. Like the shame of having been taken in by an old outrage actually seemed to make him reconsider his sources.

Also, having been made aware of the song the year before I started noticing it being played a bunch of times, and it seemed very far from cancelled.

Lol, that's a great example of the never-ending right wing outrage machine, because I first heard of the song being cancelled in :911: high school a decade ago. Literally one decade of christmases ago this coming christmas of 24. Also the first time I ever heard the song. Or at least the first time I listened to it instead of just tossing it into the mental spam folder of boring ubiquitous christmas songs from 1957 BCE that I can't tell apart.

Except of course it was never cancelled it was just noted as kinda possibly creepy, and kept being played, and then got played even more to reap imaginary woke tears, then everyone forgot about it and now it's back again this past year or two. Discourse must be had, libs must be owned.

soviet elsa fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Mar 2, 2024

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm aware. I wasn't implying that it was a distinctly modern phenomenon.

I think they are more hitting the idea that it's specifically just some brainwashed conservative thing and not just a loving dance that people enjoy doing. There's a lot of left-of-liberal people here in Texas that still fuckin like line dancing. I don't know why, but they do.

Secret truth the man doesn't want you to know the people really good at conservative-approved dances and the people really good at kids these days godless sex fiend fembot dancing are often... the same people.

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
I mean, what hits me from both of y'all is the weird psychoanalyzing of the conservative brain. The reality is they'd hate the belarussian ballroom dance and love the gas station dance if the context was changed. The belarussians put up a big ol' Lenin FOREVER CENTENNIAL 1924-2024 and the tiktok dance girls dance the same dance but one of them wears a red cap, boom, exact opposite message. Boring frigid communist future vs hot young sexy new conservatism. Literally a message they already play. It's not about the content for them, it's about the messaging.

You're missing the forest for the trees, analyzing why nazis love identifying arm bands, then handwaving "sure, lots of anti-nazis also chose to wear identifying arm bands, but the arm band appeals to the nazi brain..." when really all you need to say is that yes, the fash like perfectly normal human things and will twist anything and everything to be fash.

Sometimes, the two step is just having fun doing a dang ol' two step

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

Dirk the Average posted:

I think my favorite example was working with a right-wing coworker, and he stated that he was gleefully going to add extra gluten to his lunch as we walked to the cafeteria. I asked him why he would want to just dump flour on his meal, and he was dumbfounded, because he had no loving idea what gluten actually was.

They especially love doing this if you're vegetarian. "I'll have the veggie burg "OHOHOHOHO I'll have to order a triple decker to make up for her!"

It is a little bit better than an allergy because at least I won't be seriously hurt or killed if I accidentally eat meat. But gently caress, come on man. Let me have my black bean patty in peace.

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
I am mainly interested in what brings them to do it dozens of times. That is a lot of times for you to set up dates just to harass the person.

Jk the real truth we all know is it maybe, maybe happened once and was ended with the woman texting her roommate that this tinder guy was being a loving weirdo so call the cops if she's not home in thirty minutes.

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
Has Ben ever had anything like a “real” job? Law school, sure, even as a nepo baby that is a bare minimum of work to graduate. But he quit law after ten months at his first firm and since then it’s failed Hollywood nepo writer and then “writer” in the sense that he can get paid to spew whatever enters his head?

I’d pay good money to see these people work a week as an entry level restaurant employee.

soviet elsa fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 12, 2024

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
The thing is, as another white lady from the redneck south with an accent people hate- she's not even really parsing as a tomboy to me. She's presenting as very femme. Just doing redneck poo poo. That's all they want. That is how I dress if I go fishing or hiking or out of doors between April and November. I just don't have tiktok charisma.

This is the exact same poo poo you get in another one of my opposite hobbies, tabletop gaming. The toxic dudes want you to be "one of the guys," only as long as you are still sufficiently trad femme (and down for hetero sex, with them, specifically).

Or see video games where woke gone wild means "woman character not in bikini mail and full makeup."

e: I should have added the enormous caveat in here about rampant transphobia muddying the waters even more. I don't get that as a cis but I sure as hell see it all over the place.

soviet elsa fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 13, 2024

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

Killer robot posted:

Yeah, that's the point of it. Straight and pretty, but into "guy things" so her own hobbies and interests don't intrude on his. You'll never get dragged on the wine tour if she'd rather watch the game! While not being so good at them that the men feel challenged. Get a woman who can do car maintenance or go hunting with you, but not one that actually shows you up at them.

I get the impression that a lot of guys want this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fraSdN-PG8

Which honestly, I was literally a cheerleader in school, never learned the rules of football, but I'll root for team with you... if you respect my hobbies.

And not get angry I can hike faster and farther than you, that I'm friend with other dudes I've been painting models with since middle school, that I eat vegetarian and you must put that fish back, etc

Why is dudes

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

Elephant Ambush posted:

That's the incel gamergate attitude as well. They want hot women who look as much like a 2D anime girl as possible and also want the girl to be into video games, but not actually good at them. They want to hear her say "uWu I can't beat this level will you do it for me?" and then the incel can be like "hold my Pocky :smug: " and then she fucks him for beating the level for him

Like I've seen multiple copy pastes of these dudes saying almost exactly that. It's so pathetic

I've been the person this stuff is directed at. It its very frustrating and very real I need people to realize

Like not that long ago I was into this Overwatch 2 guy until he lost his mind at me liking TF2 wanting to replace TF2 for OW2 and having the explain why a "we couldnt make Blazing Saddles today" message tweet was well sorry but gently caress you you clearly do not know your "fave" movie

Is Heil Myself your favorite musical number? Really? oh....

Creepy dudes surround the worst joke for my jewish history.

soviet elsa fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 13, 2024

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

Jethro posted:

Right, but as a Jewish woman, she's liable to be otherized if the core Chuds decide she's no longer useful

As a Jewish woman, like literally right now irl, in a heavily GOP area, in situations like this I can only be thinking of Laura Loomer and her expeditions to the chud twitter clones, and her tig ol biddies and Ashkenazi IQ at a Nazi party, and I think:

lol, lmao, roflmao

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
Taylor Swift, round 2

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
I thought it was well-established at this point that the gayest possible thing a fella can do is have a healthy, equal, romantic relationship with a woman.

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
The Kristi Noem poo poo and the right’s reaction blows my mind. When I hear someone bragging about drowning a litter of kittens in the bathtub, I don’t think “drat here goes a stone cold badass,” I think “drat here goes a Ted Bundy in the making.”

It would have taken no time at all for her to put the dog up for adoption.

Alas, no, Hard People must make Hard Choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
The most demonized and persecuted group in the country: legacy scholarship frat bros.