Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Animal-Mother posted:

Remember back at the beginning of his term when Obama was saying that Limbaugh is the unelected leader of the Republican party? And some GOP congressman denied that, but within 48 hours offered profuse apologies to Rush for any perceived disrespect? I wish the president had kept bringing that up.

That was Michael Steele and he said Rush was just an entertainer. Then he had to come back a few days later and apologize for not saying what he meant, And claimed that Rush was one of the great leaders of the party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Bronsonite posted:

I didn't see any further discussion about this which is a pretty large misrepresentation of the truth.

Soap Bat Derby posted:

That was Michael Steele and he said Rush was just an entertainer. Then he had to come back a few days later and apologize for not saying what he meant, And claimed that Rush was one of the great leaders of the party.

:smith:

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I'd like to think it was purely because the right-wing finally just went completely insane after a black man got elected to the highest office in the land...but then I remember "Whitewatergate" and Vince Foster and the whole Clinton blowjob impeachment thing, and I realize they've pretty much always been this crazy. They're just a lot more brazen about it this time around.

I remember when Rush Limbaugh called Kurt Cobain a waste of skin the day after he died. They've always been brazen about it, it's just far more obvious to us now, because unlike the Clinton days, the poo poo they're making up has no threads to reality (And we have the Internet to use for fact checking). At least Vince Foster was a White House staffer who was found dead, and Clinton did get a Blowjob.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Doctor Butts posted:

Well, people have been unironically using using the term 'bootstraps' for a very long time.

The phrase bootstraps is older than you, and older than Ayn Rand. People have been using it since boots actually had straps. Heck, the term Booting (your computer) is derived from bootstrapping.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

PeterWeller posted:

Literally pulling yourself up by your bootstraps is impossible, which is the entire point of the phrase. It's supposed to be patently ridiculous. Modern conservatives miss this and think it's something that you can and should do.

It was never meant to be literal, it was always meant to imply unironically what we use it for ironically: "gently caress you, do it yourself, cause I ain't gonna help you". Accomplishing the impossible without any help has always been its meaning, it's only lately that such sentiments are mocked for the tripe they are.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

SedanChair posted:

Ah, but you see, your link has "gov" in the URL. *shuts off mind*

My mother just did this. I heard a news story about how motorcycle accidents cost 16 Billion a year, not counting long-term care for people with head and neck injuries. My position was that choosing to not wear a helmet while riding is no longer just a matter of personal liberty, because it infringes on my pocket-book, so Wear a Helmet. Literally because the study came from the Government, my mother rejected my position out of hand without even thinking.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

colonelslime posted:

Oh man, Iran. Anyone who talks about Iran's belligerence to the US as not being exactly what the US deserves is full of poo poo. A country that claims to love freedom and democracy helps overthrow a popular democratically elected leader and re-empowers the monarchy, because said leader decided to nationalize the oil fields. There are no :ironicat: big enough for that incident

Have a dose of reality: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3390388&pagenumber=761&perpage=40#post407562579

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

az posted:

"if Israel were to fall, NATO failed to help them", and apparantly deserve to get nuked in return.

Considering recent remarks by Sheldon Adelson, I don't doubt this one bit.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

muscles like this? posted:

I like how this one is less the snake from the Gadsden flag and more like the snake from Beetlejuice.

My first thought, given the detail of the snake, is that it was Adam and Eve's Arch Nemesis "The Serpent", and the lies it was breathing out were the declaration of independence's assertion that all men are created equal!

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Spacedad posted:

Santorum posted:

If you're low-income ... in many states you can qualify for Medicaid, you can qualify for food stamps, you can qualify for housing assistance, and that's not if you're in poverty. That's if you're above the poverty line. And so you have all of the children growing up in an environment where government is paying you, and then we wonder why do these kids feel they're entitled to so much?

:suicide:

I am sick of hearing this 'entitled generation' poo poo. Between this, that "Marriage isn't for you" meme going around, and other poo poo, I am seriously tired of hearing all of these stuck-up holier-than-thou assholes preaching about the feelings of entitlement for this generation. I'm not even in this generation (:corsair:), but I'm tired of it getting bashed for not measuring up.

Marriage and Divorce rates have fallen as this generation grows into the old standard marriage age, because the kids aren't marrying for the sake of appearance, church, god or society. It was their parents who had the highest divorce rates. Kids today -at least, those who aren't pressured by their parents/church/society- don't rush blindly into marriage, so they don't get divorced at the same rates as their predecessors.

As for their feeling entitled, what is it exactly that these people think the younger generation feels entitled to? A decent paying job? A reasonable standard of living?

Maybe if they didn't go through the 'boot-straps' 'build yourself up from nothing' 'follow our life-plan for guaranteed success' 'American Dream' bullshit their whole lives only to get through all of the school grind just to find themselves having to work multiple unpaid internships for the sake of getting an :airquote: Entry-level :airquote: job that requires ten years of experience and still doesn't pay enough to cover all of the Investment in your Futureeducational debt they accumulated in good faith by following the system promised them by the assholes who cut education left and right while outsourcing non-service-sector jobs over the last 30 years, they wouldn't come across as so 'entitled'. Maybe if they'd actually gotten anything but screwed after following the system that they heard their whole life was the Real American Way, they wouldn't have such a bad attitude towards it.

:argh: loving old rich right-wingers need to shut the gently caress up.

Sorry for the derail and :downswords: rant, I've just been reading too many of these :corsair: kids today :corsair: things this week.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

FuzzySkinner posted:

The Right Wing/Tea Party has such a bleak out look for the country as well. They offer no solutions in terms of job creation, and how to move the economy forward.

How are you supposed to recruit joe college kid with a message that they currently have? You can't.

They have no realistic view of how things work. They are the entitled generation that LP97S mentioned. They may not have a message that appeals to joe college now, so at least that means they'll be somewhat short lived. Well, except for One Little Thing. :sigh:

LP97S posted:

No, it's alright because this whole "entitlement" generation isn't this one, it was the last one where states and federal governments subsidized college tuition so you could do a minimum-wage summer job and pay for it instead of being in crippling debt forever.

You mean the ME generation that got their education paid for under the 50s and 60s version of the STEM initiative, then supported slashing the hell out of it because they didn't want to pay for anybody else's? Yeah, I agree.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Their view is that this generation feels entitled to high salaries, good food, medical care, and a big house WITHOUT the work. As in, the belief is that this generation complaining about not having jobs and adequate income is proof that they're just too lazy to go out and work. It's just their worldview. The un/under employed are so because they're lazy. It can't possibly be because of a global economic recession or the world economy almost being tanked. It can't possibly because increased automation has eliminated jobs by the million. It can't possibly be because the view of family farms with local help have been replaced by massive factory farms. It doesn't matter that things like typists have been replaced by computers. People without jobs are just lazy. They need to go out and look for jobs harder.

This is the really disturbing part. 2% of the Nation's population produces something like 300% of the food we need, but the old Puritan work ethic -which made sense in 1620- "He who doesn't work, neither should he eat" is still clung to as a moral imperative. Once upon a time, you needed a dozen people pushing brooms to clean one city block, now you can clean a dozen city blocks with one person in a truck, but the situation doesn't change. Automation was supposed to make everybody's life easier, instead it's destroyed the working class and the middle class because there's Profits to be had.

I want to do a parody children's book of the Wise Little Hen, only instead of the other animals not wanting to help out with the farming, when they offer to help Mrs. Hen tells them all to gently caress off because she's got a mega-tractor and an automated kitchen and doesn't need their help, then they all sit around starving to death while Mrs. Hen gets fat and calls them lazy.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Orange Devil posted:

You know who else was a big fan of this aphorism? Lenin, that's who.

The Soviet Union at the time wasn't known for its automation, hence the hammer and sickle, and My Mother The Tractor.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Joementum posted:

Some people think that global warming is being caused by atmospheric pollution, other people, like almost-Texas-Senate-candidate David Barton, think that it is being caused by sluts. Both sides raise valid arguments, so let's have the debate!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGR6ezl0-Dw

Well, the population in the last hundred years has gone from 1 Billion to 7 Billion, I suppose sluts played a role in that!

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

People who give other people nicknames are almost always gigantic assholes. It's a classic power play -- I'm not going to call you by your actual name like a human being I respect, I'm going to call you "Turd Blossom," and you're gonna like it 'cause I'm your boss and it's funny, hahah, get the joke?

This. If I walk into a job and the Boss calls me Fredo, that's the day I walk out of the job.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

FuzzySkinner posted:

Also, to boot, the guy was in Gen X. What loving wars did that generation fight?

Gen Xers were born from 1965 to 1984. So the answer is Panama, Desert Storm, Somalia, Bosnia, Kosovo, Afghanistan and Iraq.

The oldest Millenials were only barely turning 18 when we invaded Iraq, the Army didn't spring from nothing in 2001/2003.

I mean, seriously the Millenials were born from the early 80s to the early 00s, so there are still Pre-teen Millenials, this is no more their war than the Civil Rights Act was the Boomers' impact on the world.

Business Gorillas posted:

Didn't Rumsfeld also dodge the draft? Also, Mittens went on missionary work as soon as he was eligible to get drafted iirc.

No, Rumsfeld served in the Navy as a pilot in the mid 50s. He was a reservist until 1989 when he 'retired' from the IRR as a Navy Captain. He didn't serve in any wars, and being a Naval Aviator doesn't really qualify you as an expert on anything but flying a plane, but he did at least serve.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

HootTheOwl posted:

This would be more valid if the wars weren't over ten years long.
And if you look at the demographics of the military you'll see that millennials make up about 65% of the military. The troop surge was in 2007, assuming the demographics haven't changed since then, about 50% of that force was millennials. Lastly look at the break-down in the marines. it's a whopping 82% millennial!

Well there's the problem with the demographics not changing. The surge was four years before the statistics. That means even if they haven't changed, the birth years did. Somebody who was 23 in 2007 was still born at the end of Gen X (1965-1984).

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

The Joint Center for Housing Studies at Harvard uses 1965-1984 because it lines up with certain statistical age groups to make analysis easier, but yeah, it's kind of blurry in reality. And yeah, Millenials have definitely born some of the cost of these wars. The problem with them lasting ten years, like Hoot said.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Tatum Girlparts posted:

If you legitimately think most atheist 'better knowledge of the bible' doesn't come from stupid 'so there' memorization of poo poo like the Leviticus ban on blended clothing and sending women out of the village on their periods, I don't know what to say.

Also if you think 'how often do you sit down and read your holy book cover to cover' means anything to the non scholarly components of faith I also don't know what to say.

A Sizeable chunk of Atheists are people who did exactly that and came away with the only logical conclusion, so I'd say yeah, a good number of us actually do have better knowledge of the bible.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

So a union organizer was apparently caught posing as a Google employee talking down to demonstrators to try to discredit the rich. Get ready for an absolute avalanche of :smug:

EDIT: he claims it was "political theater" but good luck getting anyone to believe that, union thug.

Link?

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Majorian posted:

Hahahaha, Andrea Peyser of the Post DOUBLES THE gently caress DOWN!!! RAAAAAAWR:

quote:

He owes the world an apology

She owes the world an apology for her terrible attempt at erotic fanfiction.

"She hiked her skirt up a little bit, revealing the sheer black stockings that apparently were only on above her knees and couldn't be seen until she did that :confused:"

Gozinbulx posted:

Whats with the insistance they were flirting? Is any pleasant conversation between a man and a woman who are smiling have to be flirting? Between two heads of state no less.

Conservative Christian Sexual Repression: any time a man and woman are anywhere near each other, sex could happen!

My Q-Face fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 12, 2013

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Orange Devil posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xhuSxyHWRw

Seriously, all the kids in this video are terrible human beings and should be parted from their wealth post haste.

If ever you needed confirmation of Fitzgerald's point about the vacuousness of the rich...

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

pentyne posted:

He ended up giving up on school and worked on an oil rig for 6 months before going back to resuming his wealthy life.

That was the Vanderbilt-Whitney kid, and it was two years in oil fields in Texas. He was still somewhat vacuous, and yeah, he went back to his wealthy life afterwards, but he was the most sympathetic and self-aware of the group.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Rexicon1 posted:

I watched that video, and as someone who married into wealth through my mother, all those kids are shitheads and I recognize each of those kids from the brief time I spent with my mother and her husbands friends' kids. They are mentally and socially deranged and for the most part, solidify into huge dickbags after they go through their "liberal youth" where they question if it's fair that they get infinite resources and pleasure at the expense of others.

I didn't mean to suggest he wasn't a shithead, just that he came off as less of one than the rest of them did.

quote:

e: also if another multiple mansion owner tells me that some working class guy is "richer than he is" because of his huge debt, I'm going to erupt into flames.

Yeah, I just watched "The One Percent", interesting that his father took a stand against Apartheid, however long ago it was, and it seems he's genuinely concerned with the wealth gap and lack of social support for the neediest, but then he has that guy near the end talking about how rich he is on the inside. Seriously, some of the looks he gave when he got the reaction or the line he wanted from his interview subjects were just so :smug:

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

He's being a Hipster, ala all the 20-something Bush fans. :thejoke:

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

Because serving gays is so unlike serving blacks against your will.

I mean seriously, at this point, if we are going to allow then to refuse to serve gays, whats to stop from from saying that its against their beliefs to serve blacks, or muslims, or Chinese. If you let them get some wiggle room, they'll spread it around.

It was less about that and more about A&E/Duck Dynasty isn't about free enterprise and is about freedom of speech.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Spacedad posted:

Holy poo poo, I don't think I've laughed this hard at anything in politics worthless meaningless TV-hack white noise punditry this entire year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiTVRABIPts

Enjoy this one:

http://www.debate.org/debates/Bill-OReilly-Is-Not-A-Combat-Veteran/1/

"You've never come close to anything I've done, down where I've been."

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

comes along bort posted:

quote:

MSNBC president Phil Griffin has called her “our quarterback” — she’s neither an executive nor a manager.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/367610/rachels-show-eliana-johnson

I didn't know quarterbacks were executives or managers, I thought that was the executives, managers and maybe coaches...

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

I'm not racist if I don't say friend of the family!
:gopsay:

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Several. Many of them in this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3575754&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

ayn rand hand job posted:

Also this is not totally relevant but

I love that "fiat money controlled by a central government" is somehow not sound. As if money of any kind would have any value without a government and bank declaring that it did.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

beatlegs posted:

Just lolling at whoever bought that worthless piece of crap painting for 100 g's. They might as well have set the money on fire.

It was probably some sort of money laundering deal with whatever groups were supporting him during the trial, so he could reclaim the money he told the judge he didn't have.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Spacedad posted:

The rest of the interview is mind-blowing and SCARY as gently caress, by the way. That 'Jesus Nuke' story is loving Dr. Strangelove level insanity right there... :stare:

Read away: http://www.truth-out.org/files/nuclear_ethics.pdf

Is this 1932?

My Q-Face fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 28, 2014

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

BiggerBoat posted:

Rush is calling the SOTU address 'The State of the Coup". Har-dee-harr.

He called Clinton's whole first term the Hostage Crisis, complete with "Day xxx".

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

FMguru posted:

He famously went on Celebrity Jeopardy and immediately fell behind by a zillion dollars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd2ySV7AfgM

He's a genuine moron.

I was expecting an SNL bit... wow.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

The Ape of Naples posted:

Yeah, as much as I'd want to see DMX beat the crap out of Zimmerman, the whole thing will probably be really cheesy and lame.

So, something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3M_wGfYewo?

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Cardboard Box A posted:

Reasonable Robertson is back again

Who?

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Radio Nowhere posted:

Hannity is one step closer to leaving New York, I'm sure the loss will be felt immediately.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/feb/11/sean-hannity-puts-ny-home-sale-talk-flies-hes-leav/

Went in to touch the poop

quote:

We are unable to post your comment because you have been blocked by The Washington Times

:dance:

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

beatlegs posted:

I agree, with the caveat that the humor (whether aimed at libs or cons) must be based in truth to be funny. For example, joking about liberals wanting "happy holidays" to replace "merry christmas" is stupid and unfunny, because it's based on right wing persecution fantasy, and stuff like mocking diversity or equality, which is just spiteful ranting.

You know, this is often bandied about as the reason Conservative Comedians aren't funny and can't be funny because if they could actually see the truth, they wouldn't be conservatives.

"Single-payer Day one" doesn't have a grain of factual basis to it. Never-the-less, it is funny.

Stewart Lee has lots of facts in his stuff, but he's not particularly funny.

Dennis Miller, when he was a liberal, was not particularly funny. (To say nothing of now)

Bob Hope, on the other hand, was conservative as the day is long and has decades of funny material.

Truth is a subjective concept, and not really at all essential to being funny. You're missing a really key element to something being funny: the absurdity of the premise and the spirit it's offered in.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Bill Maher bitches about taxes all the goddamn time and he's still doing fairly well.

He's also peaked. Like everyone else on that list.

My Q-Face fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Feb 21, 2014

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Well that's the right answer. Just not the answer you say to the guy who's using the inferior equipment.

Not when you're fighting a Preemptive war that you started. If you're attacked out of the blue, sure, when you choose to cross the globe and invade somebody because you don't like them? If you're picking the time and place, which is the justification for preemptive war, then you'd sure better go to war with the equipment you want, or you're saying clearly that you just don't give a gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

bpower posted:

The only reason they seem middle of the road is they're utterly spineless. I haven't watched it in years but I remember the Terri Schiavo episode being the worst sort "everybody's equally to blame" garbage. They're full on right wing scum.

What? You're substituting your own viewpoint on them, projecting or something, because the clear message of that episode was "shame on the people making this private event a public and political spectacle. "