Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Dilkington posted:

This is interesting.

What percentage of our +300million citizens actively consume right-wing media? Is the percentage disproportionately larger than what's found in other countries? I'm just speculating, but I bet among any group of people, particularly in declining powers like the US, there will be a segment of the population that finds Stabbed-in-the-back myths to be agreeable. The disproportionate number of older, less-educated americans we have also might be an issue.

This speaks to how vocal this segment of the population is, but not necessarily their representation in numbers. Anecdotally, you can find a lot of fascist and ultra-nationalist comments under soccer videos on youtube, but I know fans with those views can't amount any more than 1% of all fans.

The effect of right-wing media on its consumers is certainly terrible, but the real insidious poo poo about right-wing media is how it affects "neutral" media outlets like CNN. Birthers and their type should absolutely never have been a thing, but Fox News and the right have saturated the market to the point where CNN, in an attempt to construct a false equivalency, has to address it in some form or another. There is no counter to this type of poo poo on the left, so the right wing media basically gets to create its own frame and narrative whenever it wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

SpaceMost posted:

I wonder what a hard left version of Fox would be like, and if I would get suckered in. Not some trifling liberal network like MSNBC, but a fullblown Leftist Fox News.

U.S. CITIZEN EXECUTED IN OVERSEAS DRONE STRIKE, SAID TO HAVE SPOKEN OUT AGAINST WESTERN IMPERIALISM... Developing...
:siren:BIAS ALERT:siren: Maddow goes easy on Obama over lack of single payer provision in Republican-authored healthcare bill.

:allears:

A lefty Drudge clone would be the easiest loving thing in the world to make, I would love to contribute to something like this

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

As another poster noted, every generation is more liberal than the last in the long run. If you want liberal views to win out in the long run, do what you can to promote the long standing trend of kids leaving rural (and now often suburban) conservative echo chambers and get more exposure to the real world.

I think this is a good point and it should be noted that right-wing AM radio and suburbia have a very holistic relationship with each other. Not only are the suburbs echo chambers by design, but the drive/commute to work is a natural fit for right-wing dominated AM radio, which just strengthens and reinforces the overall conservatism of its suburban listeners.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Typical Pubbie posted:

Which is hilarious considering the site's most prolific writer/copy-paster is a right-wing hack named Noah Rothman.

Haha I knew that name sounded familiar. Worked with him briefly and he's what I imagine a young Reince Preibus was like.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Eulogistics posted:

A couple people have touched on this in this thread, but I wanted to specifically point it out: one of the things that alarms me the most about the right-wing media is that somehow it has managed to demonize INTELLIGENCE and EDUCATION with this whole "liberal professors" and "intellectuals in ivory towers" thing. I was born in the late 80s so I'm not sure, but wasn't part of the American Dream post-WW2 the ability to go to college and become a learned person? How has that flipped around to where education is the domain of the liberals and thus not a place to tread? It's a glorification of ignorance that really frightens and disheartens me.

Unfortunately glorifying "common sense values" over actual intelligence isn't a new trend, it's been there from the beginning. This is a great book on the subject.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Dick Morris says what we all already knew

quote:

Sean, I hope people aren’t mad at me about it… I spoke about what I believed and I think that there was a period of time when the Romney campaign was falling apart, people were not optimistic, nobody thought there was a chance of victory and I felt that it was my duty at that point to go out and say what I said. And at the time that I said it, I believe I was right.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

At some point one or more principals/teachers will have to come out and say "gently caress you, I don't want anything to do with guns" right? Right?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Sean Archer posted:

These people have no shame,no whatsoever:

White lady: hero
Black ladies: zeroes

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

Heh, notice its based on people with college degrees! Of course they vote Obama. Universities are breeding grounds for communist group think! And who says a college degree means you are educated anyways? If you ask me, a real measurement of intelligence would be the states with the highest level of income... poo poo.... or the lowest reliance on tax dollars... poo poo... or technological development... poo poo... or...

States with the highest level of common sense, duh

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Spacedad posted:

There's a term for that:

Basically it amounts to a liar spewing out more bullshit than anyone can hope to refute in a timely manner. It is easier for a liar to lie and repeat lying than a truth-seeker to expose them on every single tedious point. Compulsive liars know this and are well-practiced at just spewing great volumes of hogwash.

Unfortunately that hogwash has now cost the GOP any hope of winning national elections for perhaps at least the next decade. Because the amount of people who buy into that nonsense is shrinking rapidly.

I don't know, I have a feeling that America wants a competent GOP candidate and will eat up anyone who can avoid making GBS threads their pants in public. They will shrug off the current iteration of the GOP as an outlier, think back to some nonexistant time when the party had common sense and elect the new guy in because they get bored of the Dems holding the presidency.

Of course, its highly debatable as to whether such a composed candidate exists.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, I found myself thinking the same thing, along with something another goon posted a day or three ago about classic arguing/debating tactics, where you just spew and spew lie after lie and compounded nonsense and never shut up to the point that when it's the other guy's "turn", he doesn't even know where to begin deconstructing or rebutting anything because there's too much. I loathe Pierce Morgan, but I mean, that poo poo was just ridiculous.

Jones came off like he was trying to bait Morgan into reacting just so that he could claim the "See! look at this liberal hit piece" ground. That poo poo at the end when Jones started mocking Pierce's accent made me want to punch Alex in the face through the internet. What was all that "let's have a boxing match, 'Bud'" horseshit, out of nowhere. I give Morgan a lot of credit for simply not cutting off Alex's mic just to get a word in edgewise and rope him in a bit.

If Michael Moore or Bill Maher had behaved that way on O'Reilly or Hannity, it would be front page news in the "mainstream liberal media" and would have gone viral right now. CNN would be running clips of "insane pundit goes on frothing rant" but, as it stands, I'm sure the usual right wing lunatics will champion this retard for one reason or another and noting will come of it except a spike in Alex Jones' ratings. It wasn't just that the dude was checking off insane conspiracies one after the other, rattling around his printed statistics and refusing to answer simple questions without asking more ridiculous questions in return, it was that he just...would...not...shut..the gently caress up for more than 3 seconds and have an honest debate.

gently caress.

I'm still angry from watching that poo poo.

This actually is on CNN's homepage right now. Except it's "Guest Slams Piers" instead of "insane lunatic goes on rant".

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Vertical Lime posted:

Jon Stewart last night brought up that pro-gun people were afraid of an imaginary Hitler.

That might be where Drudge is getting it from.

Also, I don't think Yahoo polices it's comments as well as other sites. Then again, it seems like pretty much any comments section becomes a haven for the far-right.

What is the term for paying people to troll comment sections with political propaganda? I can't remember for the life of me, but I have to imagine this goes on in all prominent comments sections.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

e: I read bad

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

You can't go on air and make a career out of lying and spewing propaganda if you aren't a conservative hack at heart. Even if someone like Coulter is trolling liberals for fun and profit, she knows what she's doing and how many people buy into her bullshit. Excusing all of it because it pays well is the essence of FYGM.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

But that's dumb. Forget for a second how hard you have to work to make it as an actor, athlete, musician or anything else that involves selling only half of your soul, don't those rich athletes, artists, etc. "create jobs" too? People have to set up/clean the arena, mow and tend to the grass on the field, build the stadium, generate ads and promotion, design posters, man the parking lot, collect garbage, etc., right?

Or is the only person worthy of praise the one at The Very Top?

"Without the owners taking risks there wouldn't even be a league" is a very common argument in the comments sections of articles about sports lockouts. Never mind that a sports team is never the primary business of the owner and never a loving risk to lose money over 5-10 years.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Crasscrab posted:

Mmm yes. Trump is going after Rove now.

Trump: Karl Rove is 'a total loser’

Things are getting quite amusing!

Do conservatives even like Trump anymore?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wayne LaPierre's target audience is one who finds "Brooklyn" a terrifying place. They also think that since he directly named a specific directional such as "South Brooklyn", it must be even more terrifying than usual.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

the2ndgenesis posted:

Jesus, Rush is the loving master of transitioning to talking points from stories that have nothing at all to do with those talking points. As soon as he goes from the boat to the tried and true "liberals are attacking capitalism!!1! :bahgawd:" canard, he can talk about whatever he wants.

And the notion that electric cars don't reduce fossil fuel consumption is one of the most :psyduck: things I've ever heard. C'mon Rush, you know that isn't true.

He's good, but it's also easy to spew bullshit when your audience laps up everything you say without second thought. I bet any of us could take any random news story and transition into an attack on liberals within a few sentences if we didn't have to worry about things like truth.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Walter posted:

Anyone else hearing various right-wing news guys shilling for email addresses at Reagan.com?

I've heard a number of them talking about it, but today I heard Rush going on about how your Reagan.com email address makes a statement - you're a high-information, intelligent person. Okay, sure.

It's finally here: the right wingers (well, Michael Reagan, anyway) are literally making money directly off Ronald Reagan's name. Not that I'm surprised, but It's just funny to see them selling the Gipper for $40 / annually. It's only a hairsbreadth away from the Ferengi practice of family members selling pieces of their dead relatives (Star Trek stuff).

This is hilarious, I still can't find a place on the site that explains why I'd want a reagan.com email address in the first place.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

I love how Rush explicitly has to say "This is actually action that will do harm." because he's already been faux outraged at so much poo poo nobody even cares anymore. Sometimes I feel Obama can go full Castro and nobody would care because the opposition party cried wolf too many times.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

cymbalrush posted:

"Drones can track you with thermal imaging, but not if you're wearing a new drone proof clothing called stealth wear. The large, silver, tent-like garments make you completely invisible to drones... and to potential mates!! However, the new predator drones can defeat this defense with their new [i]UGLY

For a second I thought conservative radio was actually shilling drone-proof clothing. Maybe I should just give it some time.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

RuanGacho posted:

My conservative friend who lives in California swore that this was the end of California and he'll have to move soon, he said days after the November elections.

Hasn't moved yet. I should ask him how that state budget is going.

What exactly is the California GOP message nowadays? The best talking point I've seen so far is "this is what we could have done under Arnold if it wasn't for partisan politics holding us back"

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

... Really?

I never ever pay much attention to California politics but all I hear is how Cali is broke and about to go under.

So I guess that's just a fairy tale?

If Breitbart is accusing Jerry Brown of accounting tricks to report a balanced budget, you can probably safely assume the opposite

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Holy poo poo, that Bhengazi-Truth website linked in the article. I have no words.

quote:

Today marks the first day of the 2nd TEA PARTY FOX NEWS BOYCOTT. Last night alone FOX earned this boycott, IMO, by ignoring Benghazi all day and then after 10:00 PM, when prime-time viewer numbers are lowest, gave about 2 minutes to Benghazi around 10:30 PM, and offered no new information at all, just a complaining session between Greta Van Susteren and Senator Lindsey Graham about how Obama was being uncooperative. Did Walter Cronkite mention Watergate only on the 11:00 news once a week and then only for 15 seconds?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Walter posted:

The fact that Jonathan Krohn was lauded at thireen years old for being the author of "Defining Conservatism" pretty much says it all, anyway.

I don't really want to subscribe to a political ideology that can be adequately defined by a thirteen year old.

If it can be defined by a thirteen year old, clearly conservatism is just good old common sense that all of us understand

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

He's not some kind of great thinker, or philosopher, or anything else. He's not Newt Gingrich! He's John Boehner!

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

The problem is you act like it isn't bad. Demonstrate why its working just fine as is or why the alternative is worse. I mean I know that you of all people won't but whatever.

The system works because hippies, the worst people in the world, don't control the decision making

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

That slimdown poo poo is so transparent it's amazing. Fox has no shame at all.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

CNN also has this gem: Could Obamacare crash the system?

quote:

Lexington, Kentucky (CNN) -- Obamacare is expected to increase patient demand for medical services. Combine that with a worsening shortage of doctors, and next year you may have to wait a little longer to get a doctor's appointment. And the crowded emergency room may become even more so.

There are approximately 48 million uninsured people in the United States. When the mandatory insurance rules of Obamacare kick in next year, and a couple dozen states expand who is eligible for Medicaid, you can bet more people are going to want to use their health benefits.
In fact, so many people were anxious to get access to health insurance -- many for the first time -- when the insurance marketplaces opened Tuesday, more than a dozen of the websites experienced technical glitches.

Dr. Ryan A. Stanton is worried that this coming flood of newly insured patients may crash the U.S. health care system as well. Stanton works at the emergency room at the busy Georgetown Community Hospital right outside of Lexington, Kentucky.

I don't even know where to start with this poo poo

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/10/06/cruz-use-debt-ceiling-debate-for-leverage/

Nothing special about the article, but this might be the first united comments section in internet history. Just about everyone in there hates Ted Cruz.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

Mmmmm I think he might have ruined the bow tie for me.

Not Tucker Carlson?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Zwabu posted:

I watched some of Neil Cavuto's show on Fox today. He was doing a segment on how labor unions were supposedly encouraging workers being told to work on Thanksgiving by Walmart and the like to stay home.

I knew it was going to be a "gently caress labor unions" thing but I was curious to see if he'd even present any contrary viewpoint since I'd think the idea of being made to work on Thanksgiving would be pretty objectionable to a lot of righties, and this story becomes an issue where "gently caress unions, corporate overlords uber alles" bumps up against "traditional family values".

Nah. He had on some guest I never heard of who was some psychologist, psychiatrist or mental health professional of some type. She was just making, literally, the "gently caress you you should be happy to have a job and do what the bosses want or else go starve, bitch" argument, and whatever her background or credentials as a mental health type didn't inform her argument at all, it was just literally "gently caress you, serfs!" That was the only guest and viewpoint presented. It just feels like they aren't even trying very hard, like this lady was just Fox person's relative or friend with a Ph.D. just given a mike to spout right wing-ism.

I can only imagine their slant if Obama made some servicemember work on Thanksgiving or Christmas if they didn't want to.

I can't wait until their reaction to this year's Black Friday strikes

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

SedanChair posted:

It's interesting to bring up Kos and MSNBC because they do in fact represent two kinds of epistemic closure on the so-called American left. Kos is the grassroots kind, where you loudly chase down and mock anything that disagrees with the hive mind, and MSNBC is the elite kind where everything is very polite and intelligent-sounding, but messages that deviate from the corp-Dem talking points earn perplexed, uncomfortable silences.

They won't spawn any terrorist acts like their counterparts on the right, but many of their consumers and participants are similarly uneducated and narrow-minded.

Salon seems to have turned itself into a Kos/Buzzfeed hybrid recently with its nonstop "10 stupid things the GOP did this week" types of articles. They do criticize the left every now and then but the majority of their stuff now is recycled GOP-bashing clickbait. And then you occasionally get gems like 5 ways Democrats can distract us if Healthcare.gov is still broken at the end of the month which is one of saddest pieces I've seen in a while.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Naga Warlord posted:

Thought this was pretty funny.

quote:

CALLER: Oh, no, I paid them. Oh, I paid them. They bartered with me, too, on how much I was gonna pay 'em. But, yes, they got paid.

This call led "naturally" to a plug for Rush Revere.

Babby's first union :3:

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

ToxicSlurpee posted:

A common libertarian belief, and one that Ron Paul has a huge boner for, is returning to the gold standard and the time where ONLY precious metals counted as money. Because, you know, that went so well in the past and the gold standard is completely free of all corruption and manipulation.

That and his heavy investment in gold

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

With the recent surge of mainstream interest bitcoins have become a mechanism for speculators and conmen to extract money from idiot internet libertarians. So pretty much exactly like gold.

Extract money how? I was under the impression it's enormously difficult to withdraw in a timely manner.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Radish posted:

The jist I got was that that Fox News is losing influence but liberals don't realize that and haven't shifted their focus which allows respected media like 60 Minutes to become the new place to propagate false, GOP talking points or do political damage control.

So in other words, the right (including Fox) has been yelling LIBERAL MEDIA!! long enough that it swayed coverage and now it's the left's turn.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

CNN has Ted Nugent on their home page with the line "Is this Mr. America?"

:negative:

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Vargatron posted:

How in the gently caress is there liberal bias in having a professional sports team play by the rules?

Because in their social darwinian philosophy there is nothing wrong with cheating to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Once he hits funding goals then we'll have proof that private charity is perfectly adequate in cases of special need