Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Hollis posted:

I mean where do we go? Whatever decency has left, I mean you guys want to think that you are in the Majority here but it's just not true in all of america. If you don't believe me start friending conservatives on Facebook. Actually speak and have discourse with them.

It's just frightening.

Grow a spine. This isn't 1984 and Big Brother doesn't have absolute control over every facet of our lives.

Liberal thinking and human decency can and does slowly propagate, and progress is slowly made. Gay marriage will almost certainly be legal within out lifetimes, opinion on the war on drugs appears to be taking a turn, a black man is president, women's issues are discussed on a national stage, etc.

Are there problems? gently caress yeah. Will certain issues regress? Absolutely. Will certain places be (a lot) worse off than others? Stay the gently caress out of Mississippi. Progress is achingly slow, but it's progress, damnit.

Even racism, an old problem that is now relegated to the dregs of political thinking, just won't. loving. die. - and it won't be fully gone within our lifetimes if ever. But you have to remember that the United States was a nation of racism by law within the lifetime of many people alive today. Ruby Bridges is still a living person (!) but you cannot for one second think we haven't made progress since Rockwell painted her famous image.

During integration, right wingers spat and hissed and forced the motherfucking US Marshalls to come and keep the peace so a little girl could go to school. Ruby had to bring her own lunch every day because grown adults threatened to poison her school food. At every point in our history in which significant progress has been made on human rights and dignity there has been some element that screamed and made life hell for decent people trying to build a decent world and today is no different. Luckily, historical precedent shows that the decent people won out in this country every single time even if the road was tough and slow. Don't be such a pessimist - instead, make what little difference you're capable of and vote.

This felt preachy - sorry - but I can't stand to see defeatist attitudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

I am guessing that he was fired because Fox saw him as too big a liability. Even the most popular host on cable news isn't worth over $700 million dollars + reputational damage. And there's the ongoing risk of keeping him around when they paid out an absolutely massive settlement due directly to his actions - it would be easier for the remaining lawsuits (Smartmatic, IIRC) to point and say "look, they're so unrepentant and egregious that despite clear evidence that they're lying intentionally, and despite paying a bloody fortune to someone else because of this, they're keeping the offenders on the payroll."

That's my guess. IANAL.