Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Went to a Midway showing over the weekend and they had a preview for Bombshell- lots of older people in the audience seemed pretty upset by the existence of that movie.

So we should probably make sure that movie goes gangbusters in the box office when it comes out, yeah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

XtraSmiley posted:

First, how was Midway?

It was alright, acting wasn't the best and the story plodded along, but the battle sequences were pretty great and the overall narrative wasn't too far from accurate while avoiding jingoism.

XtraSmiley posted:

Second, although I am mildly interested in the shenanigans that occurred at FN (and by shenanigans I mean all the illegal activity like sexual harassment), I'm not sure I could sit through a two hour movie about it. I mean, I see it with my own eyes on a daily basis. Like, does someone who was alive during WW2 want to see Schindlers List like, 1 year after WW2? Or more like, watching it while WW2 is still ongoing...

That's a little off the mark as an simile, but I hear you.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

The only reason people ate at chik-fil-a was to implicitly support conversion therapy, everyone knows that.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Jurgan posted:

[citation needed]

You know how one of His titles is "The Lord of Hosts"?

Host means army, my dude.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

BiggerBoat posted:

I swear man the loving flag flying totally wears me out.

I don't have anything against it, really, but the way it's done just feels so...aggressive.

Huge U.S. flags hanging from the back of pick up trucks and prominently displayed in front yards around here. I wanna go up to some of them and ask "oh, are you from the states? Me too! What a coincidence!" and see how far my sarcasm might get me. Probably punched in the face 25% of the time. I feel pretty confident assuming right out of the box what most of these people are like and how they think, though, which flies in the face of how I generally like to treat people and it bothers me.

But Giant Flag honestly brings out my prejudice.

We get it. You just LOVE everything (you think) the United States is and (probably) whatever you think Jesus represents. Fairly certain you own a gun, voted for Trump twice and get most of your news from FOX and FB links. You despise Colin Kaepernick, Nancy Pelosi, AOC and have some strong opinions about George Soros and BLM. Your 4th of July fireworks budget is quite high. You probably support the death penalty and I bet I know what your radio dial is tuned to.

I'm not sure if I'm explaining my issue with it all that well and again I know I sound prejudice but, to me, it comes off as a symbolic substitute way to just holler "USA! USA! USA!" when nobody is around to hear it. I hate assuming that anyone displaying it anywhere is 95% likely to be an insufferable rear end in a top hat about everything but here I am. It's gone from passive aggressive to aggressive aggressive - there's no real pride behind it so much as anger and "gently caress you, everyone else, if ya don't like it out git out!"

To me, a little sticker is one thing or flying the colors on Memorial Day, Veterans Day or 7/4 is one thing but going out of your way to make a huge show about how American you are is really off putting and seems specifically designed to trigger folks as well as to weed out in like minded "patriots". It's like in American History X when Ed Norton "puts up a flag" by taking off his shirt to reveal his nazi tats.

I'm flying an american flag right next to a pride flag because gently caress those assholes trying to act like they are the only americans.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Mellow Seas posted:

Maybe at some point voters will notice that "Conservative version of [thing]" means "terrible, non-functional version of [thing]" and realize that the same principle applies to, you know, politicians.

Fingers crossed for "Conservative Disney" being the tipping point.

My dude that is the point. "The government is terrible and can't do anything right" is the foundation of their political view. Having politicians that actually accomplished something would be anathema.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

BiggerBoat posted:

Ever notice how conservatives are terrified of Sharia Law but usually want to implement most of it wrapped in an american flag? No abortions, no gays, cutting off hands for stealing, public executions, women in their place, theocratic laws, harsh sentences and even harsher prisons, voting restrictions, religion in schools, waiving due process...

And so forth.

The only thing conservatives have against Sharia law is that they aren't the ones in charge of it.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Hamelekim posted:

I’m not sure. I used to listen to Alex jones in the 00’s, and I just remember PJW getting married to some Asian girl. I suppose if you could go back to the old shows you might find the reference made.

Regardless It is interesting how well he has kept his social life out of the spotlight. Not that publicized hypocrisy would hurt them. Fascists don’t seem to care about that unless you are pretending to be a fascist.

It will be interesting to see what the right wing media machine gloms onto for their next issue once abortion is made illegal at the national level.

Public schools. They're already working on it.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's obviously a "pretend USA doesn't have a gun problem" chart but this is uh, a better metric than sheer number in a lot of cases? Like, flat number of "thing involving human" is dead useless if every single metric presented is half China and India, then a miniscule bit of USA, Indonesia, Pakistan, Brazil, Nigeria, Bangladesh, Russia, Mexico, and some rounding errors for the rest of earth. And indeed Canada is extremely heavily armed compared to most of the planet- have you actually been there? I lived in Canada for years, mostly Kingston, ON and Montréal, QC. Every second person is a hunter or target shooter. Comparing it to the US and France, it's way closer to the USA, whereas in France there are actually people going "oh my god, a gun? You've held one?" And France itself is not lightly armed by european standards. Iirc only Finland, Serbia, and Switzerland are strapped harder.

I honestly enjoy stats like that just to shut up reverse-american-exceptionalism from US americans. Like my wife and cousin-in-law/practically adopted kid are kazakh russian. Kazakhstan gunned down more people in a one week of protests at the beginning of 2022 than US police did in the whole of 2020. Hundreds of dead in one week of kazakh protests that mostly didn't even get mentioned internationally, vs a single digit number in US protests blasted across the world, despite the US having more than fifteen Kazakhstan's worth of people. That's one reason they prefer to live in the USA. The takeaway from this should be "the world has a cop problem" not "US cops are good, actually," but it is a pretty obvious go-to for when US americans act like the USA is somehow singularly troubled and bad. Don't even get me started on Russia's right wing media. If you think Tucker Carlson is too nazi (he is) oh boy

Ignoring suicide is a bigger giveaway imo. The majority of gun deaths in the US every loving year are suicides. It's a problem everywhere guns are easily available and one that people do not like to talk about.

If it were homicides per 100,000 gun owners, maybe. The united states is an outlier in every conceivable sense of the word when it comes to the sheer number of guns privately owned compared to the population. It is not good data for this reason alone. The only other country that is remotely close is Switzerland and they are not present on this chart (because they have very good gun control laws).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

About 5.2 million.