Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Goatman Sacks posted:

One of the things she likes to complain about is lazy people, because she has time to homeschool her children while working THREE JOBS! (those jobs are the radio show, running a blog, and being a right-wing parrot on CNN, for a total of maybe 20 hours a week?)

I worked at a public library reference desk for a while in deep-red Arizona. Of all the homeschoolers I met, only one didn't horrify me with her total intellectual insufficiency for the task. (And she was only doing it because her son had been zero-toleranced out of the school district.)

What I'm saying is, odds are, she is ruining her kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

UberJew posted:

While that's going to be terrible look on the bright side; that same generation will be the first not to have grown up mired in the paranoia and fear of the Cold War.

As a boogeyman Terrorism is far less traumatic than the spectre of nuclear holocaust.

Look at popular post-apocalyptic fiction...we just can't suspend our disbelief for nukes anymore. Kids are gonna see the new Mad Max movie and be like "Wait, what's going on? Are there zombies or something?"

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

I have had two fairly close people in my life be Fox News drones, so very small sampling size, but they both exhibit these 'decide first' traits and apply them to everything.

So, what, say you go to a movie together and you keep telling them the movie they want to see is going to suck, but they've already made up their mind. Then you go to see it and it sucks and they find a way to blame you both for the two of you going and for the movie sucking? Something like that?

I'm really curious as to how this mentality is applied to everyday life. I imagine it must be incredibly frustrating.

I think maybe I'd seen a LITTLE of that from my dad, who is a Fox drone. Having to tell him "I told you so" after every home improvement project where he couldn't see the thing for himself (he's disabled) but was still insistent about how it needed to be done.

When presented first-hand with the facts of the situation, though, he has a tendency to conform his beliefs to reality. Maybe there'd be hope for people like him when it comes to economic and social issues, but they're mostly never going to see firsthand what happens to people less fortunate, or how those more fortunate may be exploiting their situation.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

BiggerBoat posted:

Read Yahoo! comments sometime. I think he's talking about how those types see a liberal conspiracy in everything, like how Avatar has a leftist environmental agenda or The Muppet Movie was ragging on oil companies. Also, how Michelle Obama's nutrition initiatives are some sort of government mandate on food. poo poo like that.

His Microsoft example was weird though because his objection was based on them being a monopoly, when really, it seems FOX News types love that sort of stuff ("success").

Oh, I thought he meant more generally, deciding things with inadequate information, not just presuming everything to be a liberal conspiracy.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I'd let Huffington Post influence me more if their business practices weren't so sleazy.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

McDowell posted:

It's 'Attack their Strength' loud and proud.

:mitt: Obama has no Agenda!

:tinfoil: What about Agenda 21!?!

Is that the one where he has all the Jedi killed?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It doesn't help that the nonsense memes and celebrity stuff seems to be increasing its presence on their homepage more and more.

It's funny how one of the most long-lived right-wing talking points about the left has been the left's alleged moral relativism.

If the left actually had that to the extent that the right does, perhaps we'd be better at uniting.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
They loving destroyed commercial radio in general. They're big into billboards, and many of their billboards are illegal. (They ought to all be loving illegal, like in Alaska...one of the few things I miss about that place.)

A couple more points to cover about them.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

FlamingLiberal posted:

In the 1990s the law that limited the number of radio stations one company could own was repealed, which led to companies like Clear Channel buying most of them and filling them with right-wing nonsense.

Right wing nonsense AND homogenized, anaesthetized music radio.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
New ones right now are getting started on Youtube. Maybe not new Rushes (if there are, I'm not aware of them), but at least new Greg Gutfelds. It helps that they tend to be young-ish and the right is desperate for anyone at all under 40 to claim to be on their side.

I'm thinking of Stephen Crowder and Lee Doren.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Super Joe posted:

Except good information is not readily available to everyone. You can't type "discern truth from lies regarding politics" into google and get a thousand links on how the country has been pulled steadily to the right over the last three decades.

Most people NOT on the right would have the same problem. This is what's called "information literacy." The ability to find the information you are looking for, and know what it means when you see it, basically.

That is more or less the sort of search phrase that most people would use. They'll put things in natural language and expect the search engine to not only be able to parse it (which nowadays it can) but know what it means (which it kind of can sometimes) and know what they were thinking when they typed it (which it cannot). Or better yet they'll put mutually exclusive search terms (without any kind of "or" operator) and assume there's nothing out there when they find nothing.

This is the most frustrating thing about working at a library reference desk, BTW.

quote:

They have to have genuine intellectual curiosity (which they are unlikely to have if they were raised in right wing culture) and the willingness to explore a wide variety of news sources. Even then, it takes years of thought and study to shake off the lies.

My dad THINKS he has this. Why, he even reads Democratic Underground sometimes.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
But that just gives her extra credibility (as one of the good ones)

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Cardboard Box A posted:

Filipinos weren't the ones rounded up and interned, so it's not like that matters.

How many people who agree with her can tell the difference, or even know there is a difference?

quote:

Mad Max isn't fallout, watch this intro to The Road Warrior and tell me it doesn't work just as well today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n29c-q3_8Q

It's still supposed to be post-nuclear. The first one was either during the decline, or right after the end. It's easy to miss, but there are some suggestions that things aren't normal (mostly to do with the car). The second strongly implied nuclear war, the third made it explicit. The backstory leading up to the war in Fallout is more or less the same as Mad Max, too.

Mad Max basically is Fallout. It inspired Wasteland which was the predecessor to Fallout.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Cardboard Box A posted:

Mad Max was an influential post-apocalyptic vision that inspired Fallout, that does not make them the same.

The fact that they are the same in every aspect that we've discussed is what makes them the same.

quote:

As you can see in the intro, whether you want to infer nuclear war or not, the text of The Road Warrior set forth the themes of societal breakdown due to the scarcity of oil in a society that had become reliant upon it, and that's something that is still relevant today in our peak oil age.

I watch that movie every couple of months.

It's implied in the Humungus's burns. It's explicit in the third movie. And the same sort of societal breakdown happens in Fallout.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
What's the point of a coup when the people behind all the coups ever have been in charge here the whole time?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

This was really clear when defending Nate Silver in the last few weeks. It seemed weird to me that being Liberal did not only invalidate him in the eyes of these people, but actually invalidated any mathematical applications he developed. His data could not be right simply be the virtue of his political affiliation.

Has he predicted any Republican winners as accurately as he has Democrats?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Fox employee says what everyone was thinking.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Where did the meme that the US hasn't had a budget in four years originate? I've encountered it at least twice today.

Also, I'm curious as to whether the "he's a muslim" lady at the McCain rally went on to be a teabagger. Anyone know her name?

Sydney Bottocks posted:

So? They were calling themselves that for a good long while until someone finally figured what connotations it might have. And it's still a hell of a long way from the racism and sexism perpetrated on a daily basis by Fox News.

Now they all take offense at it. They've been trained to take offense to it, because clearly they didn't know it could be offensive at first. The thing is, that was in the first couple months...it went away pretty quickly. There are a lot of current teabaggers who don't know how it came and went.

If the point is to try and engage them and not turn them off and turn them away instantly, it doesn't matter who started it, it only matters how you interact with the current state of the teabagger's (or any conservative who sympathizes with them even if they aren't one) mind.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 25, 2012

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

quote:

They also unfairly tarnish Michele Bachmann as a liar, when anybody who follows her already understands that many of her statements aren't meant to be truthful in the first place -- she simply says what she feels.

What?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Jesus christ this site:

quote:

Romney's right: practically nobody dies from a lack of health insurance.
Chuck Rogers | October 20th, 2012 | Tagged: healthcare Obamacare Romney
Mitt Romney has made an important point in the argument for repealing ObamaCare:

"We don't have people that become ill, who die in their apartment because they don't have insurance."

It's seemed that not a single liberal media article referencing this quote is complete without mentioning studies that 25,000 - 50,000 adults die prematurely each year due to a lack of health insurance.

25,000 to 50,000. Are those numbers accurate? Perhaps.

But, remember: there are some 206 million adults living in the United States (source: Wikipedia).

This means that each year, only one in four thousand adults will die prematurely as the result of a lack of health insurance. That's statistically insignificant.

So, practically speaking, Romney is correct. The individual mandate is a solution in search of a problem.

Guy seems to use a lot of words he doesn't understand.

That's 1 percent of US deaths per year. One in a hundred people who die die because they did not have health insurance.

quote:

Debunking the NOAA's October State of the Climate
Chuck Rogers | November 22nd, 2012 | Tagged: NOAA globalwarming climatechange

The NOAA has published its State of the Climate Global Analysis for October 2012, and it's resulted in the usual pearl-clutching from the left.

The left-wing media has jumped on one statement in the report that "The last below-average month was February 1985." This has been accompanied in media reports with lists of celebrities born after 1985 who, purportedly, have never experienced a month of below-average temperatures. This is indicative of how the left likes to get its news: forget about the facts... how does this affect Channing Tatum?

It also contains this oft-shared image:

October

The report, while certainly dramatic at first glance, fails several common-sense tests. Here are just a few:

"Average" can mean many things. In this case, the report never states the time period for calculating the "average." Are the average temperatures across 50 years, 60 years, 70? We don't know. If they use a more meaningful period for calculating average temperatures, say ten years (the period of time for which many people remember particular weather patterns), then the chart gets a lot more blue. We can't know if the NOAA has deliberately picked a time period to inflate the values.
It is implied, but never stated, that the NOAA really is taking temperature tests in the middle of the oceans. It's more likely that they are doing some averaging of their own; doing some linear calculations based on temperature readings at coastal points on either side of each ocean, and then extrapolating the temperatures at the points between them. The flaw in their science is the fact that oceans are cooler than land -- so if this were a map of actual temperatures, the oceans would be blue... and the map wouldn't be nearly so dramatic.

Also, notice that the news isn't all "bad" -- per the chart, most of Alaska, parts of Africa, and parts of China and the USSR had colder than average temperatures. This shows that there's not really a global trend toward warmer temperatures -- some areas are warmer; some are colder.

And, if you read the report, you'll see actual data that belies the global warming alarmism:

The average monthly temperature across the United Kingdom was 1.3°C (2.3°F) below the 1981–2010 average, making this the coldest October since 2003. Regionally, Scotland had its seventh coolest October since records began in 1910 and coolest since 1993.

The left has its "scientists" and "economists" and "statisticians," while we have common sense. And common sense will win every time.

This can not be real.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

lil mortimer posted:

I have no idea how Greta's show has any appeal to anyone. It's not fiery like Hannity or O'Reilly and it isn't entertaining in the slightest. There is some taped interview with Rupert Murdoch where he points her out as one of the liberals that work for Fox. I guess that's kind of funny. She's also a Scientologist.

She's there to legitimize the network. Just like they'll never fire Shepard Smith, or Geraldo, they'll never fire her, because she's a recognizable name who is just not-crazy-enough that Fox viewers feel like they're watching a legitimate news channel.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Zwabu posted:

I think MSNBC took a look at what Fox was doing, said "hey, half the country is NOT into all this right wing poo poo, let's grab the market on the other side of that since CNN is going crazy trying to be Fox Lite."

The problem is that half of the country doesn't respond as strongly and exclusively to appeals to the id.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Slow Graffiti posted:

Is the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation a right wing foundation? I always thought of it as fairly unbiased, though my exposure is mostly through seeing them mentioned at the beginning of NOVA episodes.

One of the Koch brothers sometimes sponsors Nova.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

I see that there. posted:

Has "These people!" always been such a rallying cry for Rush/Hannity?

I realize that the left and people voting democrat have always been targets, but since the election it seems the phrase "THESE PEOPLE" has been so rife and often used that it's become disturbing to the point that it could be replaced by "DARKIES" or the N-word and not be noticed.

If it's "these people" you can change the definitions of who "these people" (by a continuous shifting of rhetorical focus) are as needed, carrying the anger you've built up at one group to a slightly or even completely different group.

edit: It's not that they aren't using it to be racist, but it's good for more than that.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Dec 6, 2012

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Typical Pubbie posted:

They'll argue that because their taxes go to paying for public university they might as well attend and get their money's worth, but if the government would get out of education and let the market work its invisible magic we'd all pay less for college.

Their 18-year-old-high-school-graduate taxes? Why, those must be DOZENS of dollars!

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Dec 6, 2012

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I notice he cuts right to people yelling at him or hitting him, never showing anything that happened before they started.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

redshirt posted:

Can anyone recommend a general interest Wingnut/Paulian/Republican discussion website other than Freep, Redstate, and Brietbart? I'm looking for some alternatives.

Sodahead is full of macro-posting teabaggers, if that's your thing. The Ron Paul brigade isn't there in force. Moderation is generally weak, so you won't get banned for calling people out, but you will want to smash your head against something.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

William Bear posted:

Fox News, alone of any major news website, is still lending credibility to the Homeland Security ammo rumors on their website's front page.

The alarmist tone on the headline doesn't really mix with the reasonable explanations inside the article.

I guess Fox News is somewhat justified in reporting the new development of several congressmen getting involved, but this alarmist conspiracy poo poo was dealt with months ago.

http://www.politifact.com/texas/statements/2012/apr/30/chain-email/chain-email-says-homeland-security-purchasing-many/

I'm pretty sure a greater proportion of DHS personnel actually carry weapons everyday than the army.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

BiggerBoat posted:

It's worse than this though. CNN this morning was talking about Syria and the hearings and poo poo and actually said "who better to ask than Donal Rumsfeld, who will be joining us in the next segment." Noted war criminal and colossal gently caress up Donald Rumsfeld up next to offer his expert opinion on war in the middle east.

Who better to ask about bad planning and failures of leadership than Donald Rumsfeld?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I subscribed to the Washington Times mailing list a while back. It usually reads like it was written by Glenn Beck. This time it's gone even further into self-parody.

quote:

There are some people out there who think folks like you & me are a bit “odd”.

They think having a stockpile ready for a disaster is something they can put off for “someday” or “never”.

But those people are just hiding their heads in the sand. They are dead wrong -- and you are dead right.

You’ve seen the evidence and you know the situation is way too serious not to do something about. When a crisis hits, you’ll be ready. You’ll make darn sure your family won’t go hungry or get herded into a FEMA camp.

The fact is, if you don’t take action or if you stockpile the wrong foods, you could be setting your family up to starve. It sounds harsh, but the truth is too many people with good intentions are making critical mistakes with their food stockpiles.

Mistakes like…

Buying MREs with a 5 year shelf life (depending on where you buy them from they could be near expired)…

Getting gross survival foods that are tough to stomach and so high in salt, MSG and preservatives you could clog your arteries and get yourself sick…

Or simply buying the wrong foods and leaving a critical hole in your meal plan, which means your family can become malnourished…

Well, I decided to stop worrying. Obviously, waiting for FEMA to give me a handout in a disaster just wasn’t an option for me. And I was completely turned off by the crazy prices of survival food sold by most stores.

So I got in touch with my buddy Frank Bates and put my order in for his Food4Patriots survival food kits. This is Frank’s new line of survival food and there are 4 reasons why it’s literally flying off the shelves:

Food4Patriots is an incredible value. This high quality survival food without any fillers or poor-quality “franken-food” that the other guys use to pad their survival meals. They are made and packaged right here in the U.S.A. You won’t believe the prices on these kits – a fraction of the price what some other brands charge.

There’s no fancy packaging, it's military-grade sturdy stuff and can stand up to the crazy things that happen in a crisis. This food has a shelf life of up to 25 years, so you have complete peace of mind for the long term. And he’s using the most compact kits so you can store them anywhere in your home without any extra hassle. They’re sturdy, waterproof and stack easily. And extremely covert too.

You can make these meals in less than 20 minutes; just add boiling water, simmer, and serve. I tried ‘em and I think they taste as good or better than any other survival food I’ve EVER had. And you get a whole slew of choices for breakfast, lunch and dinner so you don’t get stuck eating the same thing day-in and day-out.

Frank has come up with some impressive FREE bonuses that are ONLY available to folks who purchase one of his kits on a first-come, first-served basis. For example, my kit 3-month came with 5,400+ heirloom survival seeds, 4 hard copy books, a 11-in-1 survival tool, and some other cool stuff.

I want to make sure you don’t miss out on this because this is the #1 item to hoard in 2014.

You need to get ‘er done right now.

Here’s why… If you don’t take action to get your food stockpile right now, you’ll be in the same boat as the brainwashed masses who think “everything is fine.” And if a crisis hits and your family asks, “What are we going to eat?” your mouth will go dry and you’ll feel powerless.

But what if you decide right now to secure your food stockpile instead? Just imagine how much better you’ll feel right away. And if a crisis hits and your family asks, “What are we going to eat?” you’ll calmly reassure them that they’re safe and they will have plenty to eat.

Listen, I can’t predict the future. I don’t know exactly when or how a crisis will hit. But from everything I see, it could be soon and it could be a big one.

That’s why I really want you to get the same peace of mind that I do.

>> Go grab your kit now before they’re all gone.

To your freedom, Frank Bates

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Hell, eating chicken more often is even a good start, as you need just a few pounds of feed to get a pound of chicken.

Can't find a source ATM, but I recall reading that chicken has a lower carbon footprint than some types of tomato.

ShortStack posted:

It's because you can't have any pudding if you don't finish your meat.

That movie is like the baby-boomer sorting hat.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Founding fathers no I never hearda their stuff

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

KomradeX posted:

Yeah when I first saw it I thought it was something like that (I was a dumb highschool kid) but drat I look back at the Bush years some times and hardly believe it was real. Only later did I realize just how classist that movie was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhqqAUh1VPU

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Apr 1, 2014

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Republicans posted:

His closing argument was that if employers had to pay women the same as men it would kill job creation because that's money they could use to hire new people.

How much is he paid and how many jobs could that have created?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

"Is bankruptcy like death?"

Is running a corporation into the ground negligent homicide?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Install Windows posted:

The pseudo-anarchy era of Iceland, complete with the battleaxes.

I was thinking more like islamic courts in Pakistan and the like.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
What was travelling through Europe like before the European Union and the Schengen Area?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I laughed at the "leftist fascists" in the URL. Poor homophobes, can't donate money to anti-gay organizations without getting publicly shamed for it :qq:

Meanwhile, economic pressure to take or keep a job isn't coercion.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

icantfindaname posted:

I think it's just trying to attack liberal women in any way he can, so he just calls them ugly. In Rush Limbaugh's world I guess the uggos would be kept in the closet and not allowed out in public or something, but I wouldn't think too deeply about it beyond him being a fat sexist poo poo trying to attack liberals.

Yeah, maybe liberal outlets should select their female journalists based on looks like Fox does. It'd be a real image boost, right?

Notice how they never pick on non-right-wing media for hypocrisy re: bitching about unrealistic images of women? If they followed the right's lead, you'd have every Fox News blonde smugly commenting on mainstream media versions of the Fox News Blonde pic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Is there some way we can make a due process by which not having an ID puts one on the wrong side of it re: losing your right to vote?