Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

It’ll be interesting in June when we hit Pride month in a week because pretty much everyone will be rolling out some pro-LGBTQ products or commercials, or at least they normally do. Will the chuds boycott everything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Having just left a target, there are still plenty of pride signs and rainbow clothes on display. I’m in Chicago though, so they might be doing it differently in the south.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Could always bring up the handful of particularly gruesome/nasty parts of the Bible in response. Or maybe they really do approve of Lot’s daughters having sex with their father, that would probably be on point for some republicans.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

oh so they did respond to it. thanks

so i read a bit more about her, and apparently, she came out as trans to her family, and they immediately disowned her cause they were hardcore conservatives. and so, she apparently decided that the correct course of action was to...join an even more extreme group of conservatives. :psyducks:

If I’m trying to apply any sort of logic to it, which I understand is stupid with fascists, her going ultra-conservative may have been to try to win back the approval of her family. Atone for her sins if you will.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I really hate how republicans fall back on that line about not politicizing things when it’s something they don’t want to talk about. Happens every time there’s a mass shooting. rear end in a top hat, it was politicized the moment it happened. Right-wing violence is inherently political!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I AM GRANDO posted:

What makes them so? Big cities see benefits from policies meant to help people: even conservatives in places with rail systems use them and want to keep them. What’s the cause of the reverse? I was about to say that most rural communities hardly live up to the conservative standard for the good life (early marriage with children, no drugs, hard work and no debt), but I realized that maybe they do live up to the conservative expectation of superiors doing whatever they want to inferiors.

I think there’s a few reasons why. First is rural areas are less diverse. If you’re not exposed to different people, religions, and cultures growing up, then you have a lot harder time understanding them. Rural areas are predominantly white, with maybe some Latino migrant farmers who are generally isolated from the rest of the community.

Rural areas also see way less outward government investment. I think this leads to a lot of resentment towards cities and the people in them. Rural areas actually do get a ton of government investment, but it’s usually things like infrastructure, and farm subsidies. Plus conservative media is really good at harping on urban welfare, while ignoring rural welfare. All this leads rural areas with the idea that they’re out there making it on their own, while urban residents are just getting tons of handouts.

This is obviously not universal. My dad grew up on a farm and that whole side of my family still live in the same town he grew up. They mostly lean conservative, but they are not crazy MAGA. Whenever I visit, I actually don’t see that many MAGA signs at all.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

To no one's surprise, the man who killed a Palestinian-American boy in the Chicago burbs was listening to RW radio and got worried about the made up jihad that was getting thrown around. Would love to know who he actually was listening to.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/2023/10/16/23919242/jospeh-czuba-plainfield-stabbing-palestinian-boy-wadea-al-fayoume-hate-crime

quote:

Prosecutors say a Chicago-area man had been listening to conservative talk radio about the Israel-Hamas war and became increasingly concerned about his Muslim tenants before he confronted them on Saturday, fatally stabbing a 6-year-old Palestinian boy and badly wounding his mother.

Joseph Czuba, 71. appeared in Will County court Monday morning in a red jumpsuit and with matted hair, two days after he allegedly confronted the boy’s mother, Hanaan Shahin, and killed her son, Wadea Al-Fayoume.

Judge Donald W. DeWilkins ordered Czuba held in jail without the possibility of release while he faces three counts of first-degree murder, one count of attempted murder, two counts of aggravated battery and two counts of hate crime.

In the 45-minute hearing, prosecutors explained how Czuba became increasingly concerned about his safety while listening to media about the Israel-Hamas war before violently attacking his Muslim tenants.

Czuba’s wife told detectives that he “believed he was in danger and she [his tenant, Shahin] was going to call Palestinian friends to come and harm them,” Michael Fitzgerald, a Will County assistant state’s attorney, said during a detention hearing Monday. Prosecutors and his assistant public defender did not provide any evidence backing up Czuba’s concerns.

Czuba’s wife told detectives that he had taken out $1,000 from his bank because he believed “the grid” would go down, Fitzgerald said. He was worried about the “national day of jihad” on Oct. 13 and, even though nothing happened then, told his wife that he believed something would happen the following day, without specifying what, Fitzgerald said.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 16, 2023

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

Can he be charged with terrorism?

They’ve charged him with hate crimes at least.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Kale posted:

RWM and MAGA really do seem to have adopted Thanksgiving as this day for vengeance and settling scores. Its some deeply weird poo poo man but very palpable.

Probably because the rest of the family ignores their dumbasses for the rest of the year, but when they come over for Thanksgiving, they have to listen to their bullshit.

Anecdotally, Thanksgiving feels like the bigger get-together kind of holiday. Christmas is harder because people have their own things to do with their own close families. They might go see the grandparents for a few hours, but aunts & uncles are probably out of the question.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

That and young women tend to favor democrats by a lot. Not to mention that Swift was supposed to be a big country star, but she transformed into a pop juggernaut. So to them she switched sides.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

FMguru posted:

Right wing websites (with one weird exception) have seen a crash in traffic this cycle relative to four years ago:

I think newsmax is sucking up people who got fed up with Fox News, which is kind of depressing to think about.

So is this people moving on from conservative news to more center leaning sources, or just moving on to Facebook or Twitter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Just wait until you hear ESG. I had a school board member ask me if I found much ESG in textbooks.

We should definitely teach kids to listen to ESG.