Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I loved seeing what original art and commissions other posters have acquired, so I thought I would revive the original art thread!

For those of you that don't know, most publishers allow artists to keep their work after they are done and, more importantly for this thread, allow them to resell them. Typically you can pick up these original panels at conventions, from art dealers, or from the artist's website. Prices will vary by artists, subject matter, inked vs penciled, etc. but it can run the gamut from $50 all the way up to multiple thousands of dollars.

Some example interior pages that I've picked up recently:

You can also get some excellent covers:

In addition to original panels, artists will often take commissions. Mostly at conventions, but many will do them in their free time as well.

Here are some of my favorites from my collection:

Purchasing Comic Art Online
While, it's easiest (and in my opinion the funnest way) to get art is at conventions. You can also make purchases through various art dealers. You will pay a premium though. You can generally find them by googling for artists name + art dealer, or just searching for original comic art.

Here are some art dealers that Goons have purchased from in the past, and had good experiences with:
Albert Moy
Candence Comic Art
Comic Art House
Essential Sequential
Splash Page
Anthony's Comic Book Art
NSNart
Romitaman

In addition to the art dealers, there are a couple auction houses that have periodic original comic art auctions:
Hertiage Auction - They have a comic art auction that closes every Sunday which a wide variety of pieces, but most of the good stuff shows up at their periodic featured auctions. This is where a lot of the big pieces (talking 6 figures) end up selling. Things like the original Watchmen covers, or Frank Miller originals. Be careful though, as they charge a 20% dealer's premium on top of the bid price.
ComicLink - Another big comic auction house. They have periodic comic art auctions, and attract some bigger peices.

Some artists sell direct as well, so if there is someone specific you like, just see if they have a web page. They'll often list their reps as well, if they don't manage it themselves.

And finally, Comic Art Fans has both internal listings, a listing of currently active auctions on ebay, plus you can contact other collectors directly to arrange sales.

Some Tips:
Bring a couple sketch books with you - artists can take a while, so if you want to get a lot of art at once, it good to have a couple books with you that you can hand out.

I like to use thicker quality paper sketch book - 70 or 80 lbs. Some artists like to use water colors, and it helps prevent it from bleeding through. A smooth thick board (like a comic board) can also be helpful if you can find one that's the right size for your sketch book.

Bring reference art if you want sketches of less well known characters, or plan on asking people to do sketches of characters they might not be familiar with.

Often if you buy a book or poster for an artists, they will do a free quick sketch for you, even if they normally charge for commissions.

If you see some artists sitting around bored, go up and talk to them and ask them to do something for you - even if you've never heard of them! I got the above Eric Canete Zatanna for free several years ago - he now charges $200 for a commission.

Chat up the artist, and flip through their stuff. Some artists have a wildly different personal style than their comic work, and you can get an artist to do something quick for free if it's something that's interests them.

Check out the charity art auctions at Cons. I've gotten some great deals at 25-50% off. Plus, artists will often donate stuff they wouldn't normally sell.

If an artist you like is attending a convention you are going to, contact or search for your artists a couple weeks before the start of the con. Artist will often take commissions prior to the con, for delivery at the con. These are often done before the convention, so the quality is better, as they are not as rushed. Even if it's done at the convention, this will save you time, and help ensure you get the commission you want.

Themed collections are awesome to see and own. You can have a theme just for the convention (Like Gavok's Character + Object theme for each convention), have it a more general thing (I have a Mr. Freeze sketchbook), or give you a long term goal (I saw someone that had a Sandman themed book going, and got every artist that worked on the series to do something in it).

Other Original Art Resources
Comic Art Fans - Probably the site for comic art in general. It's a huge database of collectors, and galleries of their collections. They also provide resources to sell art - including indexing many dealer's collection, as well as provide a list of ebay auctions for original art.
Collector's Society Board - Comic book art discussion board, reasonable active.
There's also the comicart-l mailing list on yahoo groups, for those of you still into mail groups (and who isn't??)

Goon Comic Art Galleries:
gninjagnome:http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=41909
Nodoze: http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=47921
CaptainApathyUK: http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=50308

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

My gallery can be found here http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=50308

I need to get scanning on a lot of these rather than just having photos taken with my phone. Also a few pages of original art that I've never bothered to scan.

Thought Bubble next month so my collection should increase. Really looking forward to Skottie Young, Pia Guerra and Fiona Staples especially.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I'm gonna slowly post art to keep this thread alive. I really missed it and was hoping someone would revive it.

I'll post and tell stories. I got out of the toy game (mostly) and got into the art game simply because it ends up being more personal and takes up a lot less room.

I'm gonna start with the new pride and joy of my collection.

Casanova piece by Fabio Moon.
I got this at SDCC last year at the CBLDF auction. I went mostly just got this one single piece. The level of depth just makes this utterly more gorgeous. A month or so ago, Matt Fraction was at a charity event and I got him to sign it, I almost thought he was going to walk off with it he was so impressed. Right now, it is one of the corner stones of my collection.

Gwen Stacy and Mary Jane Watson by Ben Templesmith.
A little tip if you're getting original art from Ben Templesmith; he basically has ADD. I commissioned this from him 2 weeks in advance to a three day convention this year. I checked in with him on each of the three days. Finally on Sunday I got a text from him basically saying "hey, I just finished, I'm here for another half hour if you want to grab it." It is fantastic but I understand why 6 issues of Choker took 2 years to come out.

Mary Jane Watson - Amy Reeder
I'm a huge sucker for the color on this one. It just makes the piece pop. Also, I was looking at the other commissions from the convention I got this at and I was the only one who got any color.

Phoenix Arial and Psylocke Jasmine - James Silvani
If you ever have a change, James Silvani makes some AWESOME Disney mashups. They're really reasonable (this (2 character + color) cost me $120) and they're just fun.

Casey from Morning Glories - Rodin Esquejo
Got this from SDCC this year. Rodin is incredibly nice, an absolute perfectionist (he seriously was still adding finishing touches to this as he handed it to me) and utterly reasonable (I almost had to force money on him for this, he finally took $20 for it). Just a class act all around and if you have a chance, talk to him and get some art from him.

Zatanna - Jamie McKelvie
Last one for now. Got this almost first thing at SDCC a couple years ago. I knew some about phonogram but mostly knew him from his work in the Siege: Loki issue that came out right before con. I was thinking about doing a Zatanna themed sketch book when I got this one (I had gotten a Cliff Chiang Zatanna on preview night, first sketch I ever got) but after those two, I don't think many others could do it better. The shading on this really makes it for me.

A couple protips:
Reach out to artists. Don't be afraid, just ask them if they do commissions or sell original art. The worst they can do is say no.

Time makes a huge difference. I had an experience similar to gninjagnome's. I commissioned a 2 character from Rafael Albuquerque in 2011 for $300. A year later, after American Vampire exploded and a small run on Batman, I got another commission for one character that cost $350.

A corollary to the previous tip, don't collect to make money. Firstly, artists HATE (absolutely DESPISE) seeing sketches they JUST DID on ebay a week later. Ryan Ottley was pissed on twitter earlier this week seeing a sketch he did at NYCC last weekend on sale on ebay. Adam Hughes used to hold a list for cheaper commissions at a lot of shows but after seeing one of those on ebay literally the same day he finished it, he no longer will do that. They're all aware you paid for it and technically it's your property but on the other hand, they'd much rather do a piece that will be enjoyed for years in a private collection.

A secondary corollary. However, understand that sometimes these piece can be worth big money. If you think an artist is primed to explode, get a piece from them. I say this for a few reasons. They're more willing to put extra time into a piece when they're lesser known. Not saying they won't put time into it when they're huge, but their workload increases making it more difficult to make it as awesome. Also, a lesser known artist is more willing to give you a good convention sketch because their line is shorter.

Smaller conventions are your friend. There can be some good talent at smaller conventions and they're more likely to do sketches if there are fewer people.

Question for people. I'm looking for a good cheap scanner since I have a lot of 11x17 (or DC board sized) pieces. Suggestions?

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
My latest acquisition:

From James Stokoe's Godzilla: Half Century War #1.

I'll take some pictures of the stuff I've got at home at some point as well. A couple of pages from Stokoe's Orc Stain, a few pages from Darwyn Cooke's New Frontier and a bunch of TMNT stuff from the '80s that Mark Martin did.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Awesome more art! I'm going to slowly post some of other pieces to keep the thread alive as well. I love that Cassanova piece.

For more art:

Here's a set of four scratch board Fantastic Four commissions I commissioned from Dirk Shearer and had framed:

We got the Human Torch at NYCC 2010, then contacted him after the con to get the remaining members of the Fantastic Four. He does book illustrations for a living, and was at the con to try and make some connections with publishers. I haven't seen him at another con, so I'm really glad we got him to do this for us when we had a chance.

And speaking of Ryan Ottley here's an Invincible piece from last year:

He was at the Image booth at NYCC in 2011, and he didn't have a line on Friday, so I waltzed up to him asked for a commission. I was really surprised it was that easy. This year, he had a quite a line in Artists Alley.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Batgirl - Dave Johnson
Just got this in the mail today. My first Dave Johnson original. I bought it for my 2 year anniversary at my workplace. It looks just as good as I hoped it would.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

That Dave Johnson piece is awesome. Annoyingly he's had to cancel Thought Bubble so I won't be getting anything from him like I'd planned.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

CaptainApathyUK posted:

That Dave Johnson piece is awesome.
Agreed--that's beautiful.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I'm not gonna let this thread die just yet!

Ms Marvel and Spiderwoman - Rafael Albuquerque
Another cornerstone of my collection. I got this from him at 2011 SDCC. I've always loved the use of motion i both characters and how it fits perfectly into both's personality. He used it heavily when he was promoting his 2011 commissions and a couple weeks ago, I found it on Ramon Perez's "things I like" tumblr. It's one of those weird feelings of like happiness when you see stuff like that.

AlkalinePunk
Oct 2, 2003

Your Mix: INFERIOR! Soundwave's Best of Emo: SUPERIOR!
Who had the large archer sketchbook collection?

Also can I have a link to the collection I just remember it on the old thread and it was pretty amazing.

AlkalinePunk fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Nov 26, 2012

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

The small beginnings of what is presently a stillborn collection.

Dr. Strange by Bruce Timm
Picked up at some con in the Bay Area in 2008, had it framed when I got back home. While I like both Timm and Strange neither one is my absolute favorite, but something about this just popped and I needed it. Maybe it's because the Kirby influence is so present in this above a lot of what Timm does, but I just love looking at it.

Boilerplate by Paul Guinan
Guinan was the artist on the 1998 Chronos series, a personal favorite. Wandering through Artist Alley at SDCC 2009 I saw him sitting alone at his booth and started chatting him up, first about Chronos but then about his character Boilerplate the Victorian Era Robot and from there we spent half an hour gabbing about history and other random things (dude loves his history), and while we were talking he offered up a free sketch for me of the aforementioned automaton, though I also bought a copy of the BP book since alternate history stories are right up my alley.

Sadly I was pressed for time and money the entire con and never had a chance to get anything beyond this sketch and a signature from Mike Allred on a Madman print. Shortly after SDCC I moved and haven't had the opportunity (or resources) to get anything beyond these two pieces.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

At NYCC every year I do a _____ Plus Prop Challenge series where I commission artists to draw a certain character with one other object. That object is their choice.

First year I went with Venom. Then I used Juggernaut. This year I went with "Macho Man" Randy Savage.

(Jacob Chabot)

(Chris Giarrusso)

(Erica Henderson)

(Joe Haley and TJ Dort)

I figure next year I'll go with Mortal Kombat's Scorpion.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Thought I'd post some of my favorite pieces that we picked up from charity auction over the last few years.

Amy Reeder Batwoman from NYCC this year:

Marcus To Original X-men, also from this years NYCC

Dustin Nyguyen Hellboy from SDCC in 2008:

Riley Rossmo - Monsters and Dames from ECCC in 2011:

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 28, 2012

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Here's an Emma Frost I got from Rafael Albuquerque at SDCC this year.

The grey wash done is fantastic. He's always a pleasure to work with and comes up with new awesomeness. I'm fearful I won't be able to afford him anymore at the rate he keeps increasing his commission prices. Either way, this plus the other one I posted are gems of my collection.

Picked this up at the same time as I got the Casanova piece. It's a great watercolour Loki from Natalie Nourigat. My wife's a huge Loki fan and wouldn't have let me leave if she knew this was available.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Not a drawing or a sketch, but a custom rocketeer sculpture I commissioned from Steven Defendini at NYCC came - check it out:

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 3, 2012

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

gninjagnome posted:

Not a drawing or a sketch, but a custom rocketeer sculpture I commissioned from Steven Defendini at NYCC came - check it out:

That is really loving awesome. What's the medium he used?

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

RevKrule posted:

That is really loving awesome. What's the medium he used?

It's a combination of stuff - The helmet, hands, boots and gun are some sort of high density foam that he painted. The jacket is faux leather, and the pants are cloth, and I think exhaust is spray foam.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Heads-up for any of you who may have original art from Colleen Doran's "A Distant Soil", her old printer went belly up and disposed of a lot of the original negatives used for the printing process. She's looking for anyone who has inked pages or painted covers to contact her http://www.adistantsoil.com/contact-colleen/ If it's a page she doesn't have she will work with you to get a scan of it. She didn't need the page I have, but she might need yours, or if you know anyone else with her pages point them her way.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Six months after initially commissioning, I get this fantastic piece in the mail from Joelle Jones. Worth every day I waited. I was told in advance it would take about 6 months but it makes an excellent Christmas gift for myself.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Thought I'd bump the thread since con season is starting up! I'll be headed to Emerald City Con next week. Already have some stuff lined up from Camilla D'Errico and Joelle Jones. In the mean time, here's a Jim Calafiore Planet Hulk commission I got through his kickstarter for Leaving Megalopolis:

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin
I met Kevin Eastman at Wizard World New Orleans a couple of months back. Super nice guy and was chatting up everyone. But the best thing was that he was signing and sketching for free.

I only have this slightly blurry Facebook pic that I took right now, but he gave me the poster and signed it, signed my comic and sketched me Leonardo all for free. I tried to give him some money for it all, but he just pushed my hand back and told me that us fans had given him so much and he wanted to give back to us. He told me to pay it forward, to go out onto the street and buy a homeless person a sandwich or give the money to charity. Just an incredibly nice guy and very down to earth.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

So, if you had $150,000, the cover art to Watchmen #1 could have been yours today!

Edit: and $65,000 would have scored you an original Calvin and Hobbes strip

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 22, 2013

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

65k seems a bit low for a C&H strip but honestly, you get about maybe 10k and you have only probably 2% of original art collectors who can actually make that play. Then it just comes down to who wants it more.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Cassidy from Preacher by Ethan Van Sciver (shockingly, he has never read Preacher)

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I can't stand his politics but I'll be damned if Ethan Van Sciver can't draw.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Not home yet, so not the best pictures in the world, but here are some highlights from my acquisitions at ECCC since imgur seems to be wonky about uploads at the moment:

Got this Rouge from Mike Choi. I believe this is a prelim for a poster piece, but since it's just a prelim, I got it for way cheaper then I thought it would cost.

My years of stalking Dustin Nguyen have finally paid off - took my Mr. Freeze sketch book I started at NYCC, and returned this Mr. Freeze for me at ECCC:

Asked Joelle Jones to do a noirish Madame Xanadu, and this was the result:

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

That Joelle Jones piece is awesome. I almost got a Mike Choi piece last year but there was such a huge discrepancy in price between a bust and a full figure that instead I went with a piece by Matteo Scalera. I honestly think I walked out with a better deal; a cover quality full figure 11x17 piece from a rising star for the same price as a pencil bust. Yes, it's a Mike Choi pencil bust but I still feel like I came out ahead.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
That's all good stuff, but the Jones piece is seriously good. Going to remember that name now.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

StumblyWumbly posted:

That's all good stuff, but the Jones piece is seriously good. Going to remember that name now.

She does amazing quality poo poo. I posted further up the page with a great piece by her. She does general commissions but the wait time is very long (mine took 6 months) and she's very relatively inexpensive for what you get.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

If you pay attention to her blog, she took pre-orders for the convention, so I just showed up on Friday, and it was ready. I actually saw your commission on her site, which is why I got one. Probably the best $50 I've spent for a commission in a while.

I'm actually going to start looking for more pre-convention orders from now on. About 2 weeks before the con, I just google searched for ECCC pre-order commisions, and a few other variations, and landed 4 of them. It's good for budgeting, and let me attend more of the con as well. Going forward, I'm going to start looking 3 weeks or so ahead, as that seems like when most people started soliciting for them.

Edit: Oh yeah - I've always been hesitant to get something from mike, just because it is kinda pricey, but since this was already done, I at least knew what I was getting.

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 5, 2013

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

gninjagnome posted:

If you pay attention to her blog, she took pre-orders for the convention, so I just showed up on Friday, and it was ready. I actually saw your commission on her site, which is why I got one. Probably the best $50 I've spent for a commission in a while.

I'm actually going to start looking for more pre-convention orders from now on. About 2 weeks before the con, I just google searched for ECCC pre-order commisions, and a few other variations, and landed 4 of them. It's good for budgeting, and let me attend more of the con as well. Going forward, I'm going to start looking 3 weeks or so ahead, as that seems like when most people started soliciting for them.

Edit: Oh yeah - I've always been hesitant to get something from mike, just because it is kinda pricey, but since this was already done, I at least knew what I was getting.

I've dealt with Alburquerque twice with Con pre-ordering. Both were wonderful (as seen above) and waiting for me when I got there.

I dealt with Templesmith via con pre-ordering. The finished product was gorgeous (again, see above) but it wasn't ready until the last day of the con.

I do agree, being able to budget a commission via being able to just send the artist money is much easier. It also makes it harder to forget pickup. Last year at SDCC I commissioned an assload of art but at the end, i feared I'd forget something. I don't want to say it was nerve racking, but when you already paid a lot of money, you don't want to forget one but you can end up with a lot of balls up on the air.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

E the Shaggy posted:

Cassidy from Preacher by Ethan Van Sciver (shockingly, he has never read Preacher)

If jealousy could kill and steal and avoid prosecution...

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Ryan Kelly is liquidating a ton of Saucer Country pages at $60 per for the month of April.

He's a fantastic artist and it's a great book. You should really buy some.
Link: https://plus.google.com/u/0/110512061814280183442/posts/ActrkdrtJwP

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Have some nice Joe NG art I'll try to get up later.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Backing kickstarter projects are good way of getting cheapish art.

Got a nice Nancy Callahan from Steve Mannion for backing his new project.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

That's pretty cool. Kickstarter commission rewards are part of the reason I've basically just started Friending every artist I know on Facebook.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
A part of me really wants to bid on this even though I don't really want an x-men porn pinup. (nws, obviously)

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

This is absolutely amazing. I'm with you, I don't necessarily want an x-men porn pinup but a) it's Graham and b) gently caress, it's Graham.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Craig Rousseau was taking commissions through his art dealer, so I got this Dr. Strange:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That is awesome. I love all the folds in his super-baggy costume.

• Locked thread