Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
My gallery: http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=47921

Some of my favorites:

Phoenix/Jean Grey/Dark Phoenix by Jackie Santiago

Mera by Jackie Santiago

Hawkgirl by Eric Matos

Supergirl (New 52) Issue 1 Page 5 by Mahmud Asrar

Talia al Ghul by Cameron Stewart

Vicki Vale by Scott McDaniel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
This is kind of a long shot but does anyone know where I might be able to buy Empowered pages? I found where someone was selling some Titans: Scissor Paper Stone pages for pretty reasonable (125 bucks for a page I like! Wow!) but Empowered stuff seems to nooot really be for sale anywhere. Is he holding on to it?

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Someone on Comic Art Fans claims that Mighty Nib Original Comic Art is his dealer, so you could try contacting them to find out if pages are for sale. Alternatively, he seems to have a deviant art site, and twitter, so you could just ask him directly if anything is available, or how to get some. It's possible he just sells at conventions or something.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

gninjagnome posted:

Someone on Comic Art Fans claims that Mighty Nib Original Comic Art is his dealer, so you could try contacting them to find out if pages are for sale. Alternatively, he seems to have a deviant art site, and twitter, so you could just ask him directly if anything is available, or how to get some. It's possible he just sells at conventions or something.
Yeah that's where I found the Titans pages. I sent him a note on twitter so I guess we'll see if he responds.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I know he sells Empowered pages because I saw him selling them last year at SDCC. It's just a matter of getting in touch with him to get them.

I really really want a page from Supergirl from Mahmud Asrar, were can I get one?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

RevKrule posted:

I know he sells Empowered pages because I saw him selling them last year at SDCC. It's just a matter of getting in touch with him to get them.

I really really want a page from Supergirl from Mahmud Asrar, were can I get one?

theartofcomics.com :)

Please don't buy one of the ones I want :ohdear:

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Con Season! From Denver Comic Con

Phoenix from Jim Mahfood

Great priced commissions if he's near you ($80) and amazing work. I'm a huge fan of the graffiti style, almost Paul Pope-ish.

Mary Jane Watson from Clayton Crain

Really cool, was done in acrylics on art board. It looks better in person than here and that's saying something.

Izabel from Fiona Staples

Fiona is a really loving cool person and great to even just sit there and shoot the poo poo with. I got this as a commission and Jason her art dealer sold me the already stretched and framed canvas print of the cover for issue 8 of Saga (there was also a huge mural of it done in loving LEGOS! there, if there's interest in pics, I can post that too). Turns of the canvas he sold me was also the printer proof for the set. The tip here is, always talk to and make friends with art dealers.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Wow that Mary Jane is incredible. I love that type of styling, and I have never seen anything by that artist before. Definitely going to try and get something from him now

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

RevKrule I am looking through your CAF gallery now, you really have some really nice stuff. It's getting me motivated to start getting art again

e: I am so jealous you have Bruce Timm stuff! He is the one guy I've wanted for so long that has eluded me :(

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Speaking of CAF galleries - I just added the ones that people posted to the OP.

Edit: Just to add some art - here's an artist rendition of my dog that I got commissioned at NYCC2011, took about a year to get from Gregory Titus:

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 4, 2013

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Your dog is a spaceman? :aaa:

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Nodoze posted:

RevKrule I am looking through your CAF gallery now, you really have some really nice stuff. It's getting me motivated to start getting art again

e: I am so jealous you have Bruce Timm stuff! He is the one guy I've wanted for so long that has eluded me :(

Timm does great $100 head sketches at cons (he's been at SDCC for at least the past 3 years) but you have to get there first thing in the morning and be sure to pick it up at the end of the day. Otherwise that's pretty much the quality you get. Fast but very incredibly well done.

He also does full body color commissions for SDCC through his art dealer (albertmoy.com). I almost choked when I saw the price ($1250) for an 8.5x11. I'm happy with the head shots.

Thanks for the words about my collection. I'm a sucker for trying to get just rising people or alt artists. I'd love a Paul Pope piece but it's like getting a Kirby in some circles. The Skottie Young pieces were done a couple years ago, well before his baby Marvel covers skyrocketed. I love the McKelvie page I got (from Siege: Loki), it's shows off his style exceptionally with making sexy but not exploitative. It's got Mephisto with mutton chops and it's got Loki.

I still have a couple pages and such that aren't up there. Honestly, there are comics I enjoy to read but I love owning art. I love having a piece of art that's just stunning to look at. It's such a rush for me to get a package from an artist or dealer and open it up and for the first time, get a hard look at the details of a piece. Or discussing with an artist on a piece and watching it go through process until it's finished.

Here's another piece I got that I forgot about this weekend.

Gwen Stacy - Farel Dalrymple
Unfortunate that he was pretty free most of the weekend. At first honestly, I wasn't super impressed with her face but it's growing on me and the rest of the piece is utterly stellar. If you ever see him at a con, get a commission from him. He puts a lot of detail and work into his pieces and again, he's stupid cheap ($20).

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

RevKrule posted:

Timm does great $100 head sketches at cons (he's been at SDCC for at least the past 3 years) but you have to get there first thing in the morning and be sure to pick it up at the end of the day. Otherwise that's pretty much the quality you get. Fast but very incredibly well done.

He also does full body color commissions for SDCC through his art dealer (albertmoy.com). I almost choked when I saw the price ($1250) for an 8.5x11. I'm happy with the head shots.

Thanks for the words about my collection. I'm a sucker for trying to get just rising people or alt artists. I'd love a Paul Pope piece but it's like getting a Kirby in some circles. The Skottie Young pieces were done a couple years ago, well before his baby Marvel covers skyrocketed. I love the McKelvie page I got (from Siege: Loki), it's shows off his style exceptionally with making sexy but not exploitative. It's got Mephisto with mutton chops and it's got Loki.

I still have a couple pages and such that aren't up there. Honestly, there are comics I enjoy to read but I love owning art. I love having a piece of art that's just stunning to look at. It's such a rush for me to get a package from an artist or dealer and open it up and for the first time, get a hard look at the details of a piece. Or discussing with an artist on a piece and watching it go through process until it's finished.

I'm the same way when it comes to art. I try to look for people who can draw women well, because I feel like that means their overall quality of work is higher. Of course that's a subjective thing, but I definitely have a style I prefer and most people don't draw that way. It's also a nice surprise to run across people I have not seen before who fit what I am looking for.

I didn't know Timm did his head sketches for so cheap, but too bad I'll probably never make it out to SDCC :(

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

RevKrule posted:

Thanks for the words about my collection. I'm a sucker for trying to get just rising people or alt artists.

I've gone through a cycle now - started with new or less well known artists, then was trying to get bigger names for a while, now I'm back to more less known artists. Looking back, some of my favorite pieces are from less well known artists. It's clear talent isn't the only thing that makes you popular, and since they're less busy, they put a lot more effort into it. It's partly why I started a Mr. Freeze sketch book - so I'd always have something for someone to draw.

I've also learned that I'm a sucker for watercolors.

Nodoze posted:

I didn't know Timm did his head sketches for so cheap, but too bad I'll probably never make it out to SDCC :(

He was at emerald city two years ago, and NYCC last year. I know he was sketching at ECCC, and pretty sure he was at NYCC as well. I regret not getting something from him at ECCC, since it seemed like it was my best bet to get a sketch as the lines to get in weren't ridiculous. Unfortunately I didn't notice he was there until Saturday afternoon, and he was booked up.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

gninjagnome posted:

He was at emerald city two years ago, and NYCC last year. I know he was sketching at ECCC, and pretty sure he was at NYCC as well. I regret not getting something from him at ECCC, since it seemed like it was my best bet to get a sketch as the lines to get in weren't ridiculous. Unfortunately I didn't notice he was there until Saturday afternoon, and he was booked up.

The first year I learned he was at SDCC, I didn't even run across him until Saturday afternoon. Obviously he was already booked up and he never shows up on Sunday. I made it a mission to get him first thing the next year but it was one hell of a long year.

Edit: Also, his head shots are an open secret. I've seen them go on ebay for 2x the price easy which is a little weird to see knowing what they cost. It's the same with Adam Hughes head shots. I got a batgirl head shot from him, super rough, obviously con sketch quality but it just cost a donation of any amount to one of his causes. You check ebay and people will pay over $100 for them.

RevKrule fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jun 4, 2013

BromanderData
Mar 20, 2013

Stroke it with me

The Chosen One

gninjagnome posted:

My years of stalking Dustin Nguyen have finally paid off - took my Mr. Freeze sketch book I started at NYCC, and returned this Mr. Freeze for me at ECCC:

That is fantastic!

Bar none my favorite iteration of Mr. Freeze

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

RevKrule posted:

The first year I learned he was at SDCC, I didn't even run across him until Saturday afternoon. Obviously he was already booked up and he never shows up on Sunday. I made it a mission to get him first thing the next year but it was one hell of a long year.

Edit: Also, his head shots are an open secret. I've seen them go on ebay for 2x the price easy which is a little weird to see knowing what they cost. It's the same with Adam Hughes head shots. I got a batgirl head shot from him, super rough, obviously con sketch quality but it just cost a donation of any amount to one of his causes. You check ebay and people will pay over $100 for them.

I really want a color commission from him but I just don't have the money now. Some day though :allears:

Right now I really want something from Lynne Yoshi, and theres a couple pages I have been eying as well. I'd like to get something from Jackie Santiago again but it seems like she has dropped off the face of the earth with real life stuff since I last heard from her. Too bad, the triple Jean Grey piece she did for me was astounding

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

RevKrule posted:

I could understand a small mark up if you can't make it to conventions he goes to- like $25 or something, but I just don't seem them going for what they do go for. It's cool to have something by him, and Adam and his wife were really nice people when I got mine, and it's nice to donate to charity, but it's not the greatest example of his work. Then again, I'm probably not one to talk, considering some of the questionable purchases I've made.

BromanderData posted:

Bar none my favorite iteration of Mr. Freeze

According to Dustin - it's Mr. Freeze in Hell, which explains the red background. He's one of my favorite artists, and I think he's pretty underrated.

Bonus Scarface also by Dustin:

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

gninjagnome posted:

I could understand a small mark up if you can't make it to conventions he goes to- like $25 or something, but I just don't seem them going for what they do go for. It's cool to have something by him, and Adam and his wife were really nice people when I got mine, and it's nice to donate to charity, but it's not the greatest example of his work. Then again, I'm probably not one to talk, considering some of the questionable purchases I've made.

According to Dustin - it's Mr. Freeze in Hell, which explains the red background. He's one of my favorite artists, and I think he's pretty underrated.

Bonus Scarface also by Dustin:

Yeah, it's the most bizarre thing I've seen. You get that name attached to it and people go crazy, regardless of quality. I have one. It's a decent 5 minute sketch but you compare it to what he normally does and, well, it looks like trash. But it's got his name on it so people go loving insane.

I have two J Scott Campbell sketches (side shot, rough pencils) and I'm tempted to sell one just to see how nuts people would go on the price. If I was an rear end in a top hat, I'd probably do this for a lot of artists but on the other hand I enjoy my art too much to sell most of it.

I do love Dustin Nguyen. I loved his issues on Batgirl and his covers for it were incredible. He's probably one of the next new people I want art from. His watercolors are amazing.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Ryan Kelly had his annual art sale today. I was able to score this. Now I can't wait for it to show up.

I also realized I have more pieces by Ryan Kelly than any other artist. Dude needs way more recognition for his talent. Especially cityscapes. He can draw cities like no one I've ever seen.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
My Ryan Kelly Art Sale score:

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

funtax posted:

My Ryan Kelly Art Sale score:

You're a loving son of a bitch, I hope you know that right.

(That was my first choice).

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Ok goons, SDCC has come and gone and I can't be the only one who got original art. But I did at least so here it is.

Oh look! My annual Bruce Timm Headshot. Since I learned Bruce Timm not only attends SDCC but has headshot lists, I've made sure to get a piece of him every year. Last year it was Gwen Stacy so it was only apropos that this year was Mary Jane Watson.

Elizabeth from Bioshock - Chrissie Zullo
I keep missing Chrissie Zullo at cons so this year I made a concerted effort to seek her out and get a commission. Her style utterly lends itself to stuff like Bioshock Infinite and as such, she came up with a gorgeous Elizabeth without being very familiar at all with the character.

Poison Ivy - Dave Johnson
This is the first of two Johnson pieces I got this weekend. This was an utterly beautiful piece that I had had my eye on for a while. I spoke with his art dealer back in Denver Comic-Con and we worked out a negotiable deal on the piece. He would knock X off the price if I paid cash. I didn't have cash at the time but told him I would at SDCC. As part of the deal, he was free to display the piece for sale at Heroes as well as on the website and if he got a bite at full price, he was more than welcome to take it. That didn't happen and I was able to get this gorgeous piece at a discount.

Battle Pug - Mike Norton

Cassie - Tim Seeley
Mike Norton and Tim Seeley were sitting around the Image booth for a signing. Like seriously, no one was coming up to them or anything, they were just sitting there. I felt really bad because they're both such great creators that I spoke to them each about a quick sketch commission (more than a free booth sketch, less than a full blown piece) and both of them were more than game. I had a great conversation with both that included everything from how this con was way more chill and had a much weirder vibe than previous SDCCs in recent memory and how the second season of Friday Night Lights was awkward as gently caress (really Landry? you can just kill a guy and go play football to forget about it?) to how Norton still hasn't seen The Wire because it doesn't lend itself to background TV watching (House and Law and Order are the best shows for this).

Viper - Matteo Scalera
I'm a huge Scalera fan. I got a piece from him last year and have only seen his stock rise. Getting a second piece was a no brainer but what I really love was I got two different people with two different styles to do the same character. This is the first of two. Scalera did an ultra dynamic piece. It's gorgeously done and I'm always a fan of his awesome splatter process.

Viper - Jorge Molina
This is the second of two. Again, I'm a fan of Molina but for different reasons. This piece is seriously cover worthy. While less dynamic of a pose than Scalera, Molina was able to capture the character just as well with an incredibly sexy, brooding style. Choosing a favourite between the two is difficult as hell as both are amazing for utterly different reasons.

Domino - Dave Johnson
The second of my Johnson pickups this weekend. I seriously waited all weekend for this. I precommissioned with his dealer weeks before and checked in every day and it seriously wasn't until Sunday at 3:30 PM that I could pick this up and it was loving worth it. Not only is it an amazing Domino piece, I got a second character on there for no charge (almost unheard of). I love the way the blood pools too.

It's really hard to choose a favourite piece from the weekend since there are so many amazing ones. But I would like to use this time to pimp out https://www.essentialsequential.com. I've dealt with them at two separate cons and at least once previous for purchases. The guy who runs it is an utter class act and if he ships stuff, it's sent in almost bend-proof packaging. Simple chatting him up got me money off the aforementioned Poison Ivy piece AND got me the Printer's Press copy of Fiona Staples' canvas print because I didn't want to pay for stretching. Seriously, do business with this guy if you're in the market for original art. He has some incredible artists and a wide range of prices.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

RevKrule posted:

Poison Ivy - Dave Johnson
This is the first of two Johnson pieces I got this weekend. This was an utterly beautiful piece that I had had my eye on for a while. I spoke with his art dealer back in Denver Comic-Con and we worked out a negotiable deal on the piece. He would knock X off the price if I paid cash. I didn't have cash at the time but told him I would at SDCC. As part of the deal, he was free to display the piece for sale at Heroes as well as on the website and if he got a bite at full price, he was more than welcome to take it. That didn't happen and I was able to get this gorgeous piece at a discount.

Viper - Jorge Molina
This is the second of two. Again, I'm a fan of Molina but for different reasons. This piece is seriously cover worthy. While less dynamic of a pose than Scalera, Molina was able to capture the character just as well with an incredibly sexy, brooding style. Choosing a favourite between the two is difficult as hell as both are amazing for utterly different reasons.

It's really hard to choose a favourite piece from the weekend since there are so many amazing ones. But I would like to use this time to pimp out https://www.essentialsequential.com. I've dealt with them at two separate cons and at least once previous for purchases. The guy who runs it is an utter class act and if he ships stuff, it's sent in almost bend-proof packaging. Simple chatting him up got me money off the aforementioned Poison Ivy piece AND got me the Printer's Press copy of Fiona Staples' canvas print because I didn't want to pay for stretching. Seriously, do business with this guy if you're in the market for original art. He has some incredible artists and a wide range of prices.

These two are seriously nice pieces, so jealous! Essential sequential really represents a nice group of artists, and goes to a ton of cons.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Maybe some discussion would perk this up.

What's the best scanner for 11x17 art? I have a lot of 11x17 (or the bullshit slightly larger size DC has) and would love to get proper scans but the cost for something I really only use for art is prohibitive here. I'm not gonna use it for anything but art but I have a large enough collection, maybe it's worth it.

Best place for display frames? Michael's usually has 11x17 frames but not really 11x17 pre-cut mattes for larger sizes. I don't mind necessarily sticking some art flat in frame but would love to know if there's better places, certainly for pre-cut mattes.

Digital colors or on print? Call me weird but I get freaked out thinking about someone coloring on top of my art. One of those "if you gently caress up, the whole thing's hosed" kind of things I guess. I don't mind when the original artist does colors themselves because if they mess up, it's their work and they can start from scratch and or have a good idea how they want to fix it. Anyone had experience with colorists doing digital colors/prints? Anyone had stories of a colorist utterly ruining an original? Same concept with inkers on pencils.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
I don't think it's ever been very common to color directly on the original art - ESPECIALLY if the colorist isn't also the original artist.

All of the color art I've collected has been done on scaled-down reproductions (usually standard 8.5x11 photocopies) with CMYK color codes noted in the gutters/borders, which I assume was the standard practice until digital coloring became the norm.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

gninjagnome posted:

If I recall years ago I got a full figure sketch from Adam still framed for about $100. At some point recently it was up to like $200 - $400 or something depending on how you wanted it done. Now he doesn't do any outside of head sketches. Sucks since I couldn't get another one from him, hell I'd pay for a commission up to $400 or $1000 if I was getting a full fledged quality professional piece. I wish he'd do more interiors or something.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Gatts posted:

If I recall years ago I got a full figure sketch from Adam still framed for about $100. At some point recently it was up to like $200 - $400 or something depending on how you wanted it done. Now he doesn't do any outside of head sketches. Sucks since I couldn't get another one from him, hell I'd pay for a commission up to $400 or $1000 if I was getting a full fledged quality professional piece. I wish he'd do more interiors or something.

He stopped doing con commissions because he got tired of seeing his work go almost immediately up on ebay for 2x the price the second he handed it over. His last straw was a year or so ago, he had some guy who was super pushy about getting a sketch from him talking about how it was for his kid and all kinds of poo poo. He finally relented but the whole thing was kinda shady so he did it half-heartedly. Sure enough, he found that piece on ebay that evening. After that he said no more.

I know shortly after that he did precommissions for a couple shows but it was one of those things where he'd put the opportunity on ebay and the price would immediately skyrocket to like $2-3k per so that always priced me out of the game.

It's awful how basically even in original art collecting, speculators and money grabbers have ruined an amazing hobby for everyone.

Rule Number 1 of collecting I've found, never own a piece because of what it might be worth some day. Don't get me wrong, you do it long enough, you'll end up with pieces that are worth a lot of loving money but always buy art you like to look at first and foremost. I have a Walking Dead page I bought for speculation purposes and every time I flip through my portfolio I kick myself for buying it. It's not that it's a bad page or anything, but I got it for all the wrong reasons and it's not one of my better pieces or even one of my better interiors.

Edit: Ha, found the story. http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/05/03/adam-hughes-ceases-convention-commissions/

RevKrule fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 29, 2013

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Yeah $2000-$3000 is an international vacation or something and as much as I love his art, I'm not paying that at this stage. It is an unfortunate situation the artists are in. I think Stuart Immonen feels similar and is part of the reason he doesn't do commissions.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Gatts posted:

Yeah $2000-$3000 is an international vacation or something and as much as I love his art, I'm not paying that at this stage. It is an unfortunate situation the artists are in. I think Stuart Immonen feels similar and is part of the reason he doesn't do commissions.

It's a really lovely situation because as an artist you spend all kinds of time on a piece and a lot of energy. On the one hand you know that when it leaves your hands, it's technically not yours anymore. But especially if you're a hugely popular person, every piece you do for one person, means a piece you can't do for someone else. You hate to see it go up on ebay when you KNOW there's someone who wouldn't turn around and flip it the minute they got it.

As much as I don't like Immonen's decision, I fully respect it. The man won't even do quick sketches, that's how committed he is to the position.

When I see pieces going for over $2k it makes me astonished. Covers I kinda understand. Important interiors (either artist, issue or character) I understand but just plain ol' specialty pieces going for like $2k is insane. I see it happen, especially with image co-founders, all the loving time.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

RevKrule posted:

Best place for display frames? Michael's usually has 11x17 frames but not really 11x17 pre-cut mattes for larger sizes. I don't mind necessarily sticking some art flat in frame but would love to know if there's better places, certainly for pre-cut mattes.

I cut my own mats from time to time - it's pretty easy. You just need one of these: http://amzn.com/B0019IISD8, and a straight edge and some clamps. I bought a pack of dual color black and white mat board, and have been using that for matting. It's nice, since you can mat whatever size you want, so if you have a smaller sketch or something, you don't need to display all the white space. I don't keep most of my sketches in the book - I bought a perforated book, so I tear them out after each con. I made a mat and frame for that size, and I swap thing out whenever I feel like it. I do think it's worth the time to find a good framing place near you - it took a while, but I finally found one, and it's nice when you want to do thing like display the art with the comic, or have something in pencil that you're afraid is going to smudge.

RevKrule posted:

When I see pieces going for over $2k it makes me astonished. Covers I kinda understand. Important interiors (either artist, issue or character) I understand but just plain ol' specialty pieces going for like $2k is insane. I see it happen, especially with image co-founders, all the loving time.

In the grand scheme of things, a lot of original art prices are cheaper then fine art pieces. $2-3K for original art at a fine art gallery is on the low end. I've seen a couple pieces that I felt are definitely worth the price - but they were all take home commissions or pre-orders. I would never drop that much for a piece done at a convention (like the Hughes pieces). One in particular that stuck out to me was a batman/poison ivy commission from some mid-level artist (forget his name). The thing was a full 11x17 water color, and gorgeous - it was Ivy under a willow tree, with batman entangled in a some vines - very well done, a little haunting . Some guy commissioned it for $3k. I happened to be at his table when the guy that bought it picked it up - the artist spent over 3 weeks on the thing, and included some of the prelim work, which was really cool to see.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Oh man there's a Ross Campbell Glory page I want that's 250 dollars :goleft:

It's the page from #30 where Glory and her sister punch each other so hard their arms explode. Sadly it doesn't look like he has the previous page so I can't get the set but man I want that page so I can frame it and put it on my wall and try to explain it to someone at some point.

"No, it's not Wonder Woman. It's a character a bad artist made in the 90s that got a new book in the 2010s. That's her sister and they're fighting and look just never mind."

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Hooray I got something in the mail today!

It's kind of a weird size so I'll probably have to get is custom framed :goleft: but it's super nice and if a 250 dollar piece of art isn't worth getting custom framed I'm not sure what would be.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

That's an awesome page! Great score.

gninjagnome had some awesome tips about framing on your own. For about 50 bucks, you can matte and frame it yourself.

Be careful, this is a super addictive hobby. There's been more than one time I've seen a page in a comic and been like "I must own that"

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
What's that page from? I feel like I should recognize it, but I can't zoom in enough.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

StumblyWumbly posted:

What's that page from? I feel like I should recognize it, but I can't zoom in enough.

Glory.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

To add some new art to this thread, I got this awesome Pichelli from her dealer last month.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

NYCC is next week, my wife and I found out we're expecting, so I've been holding back on buying anything new, but I'm going to try and splurge a bit at the con. Plan for this weekend is to go through the artist alley list, and see who to check out.

In anticipation, here's some more art from previous NYCC's:

From Buzz - Nightcrawler - he was funny, because the first 2/3 of his work at his table was stuff I wouldn't normally be interested in, but the last third had some awesome watercolors. This was one of the first pieces I ever commissioned:

Paolo Rivera Doctor Doom - He's always painting at cons, and I love watching him work. In 2010, I decided to make him a priority to get a commission and ended up with this:

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

gninjagnome posted:

NYCC is next week, my wife and I found out we're expecting, so I've been holding back on buying anything new, but I'm going to try and splurge a bit at the con. Plan for this weekend is to go through the artist alley list, and see who to check out.

In anticipation, here's some more art from previous NYCC's:

From Buzz - Nightcrawler - he was funny, because the first 2/3 of his work at his table was stuff I wouldn't normally be interested in, but the last third had some awesome watercolors. This was one of the first pieces I ever commissioned:

Paolo Rivera Doctor Doom - He's always painting at cons, and I love watching him work. In 2010, I decided to make him a priority to get a commission and ended up with this:

That Doom is awesome. Every year when it comes to choosing between SDCC and NYCC, I choose west because it's easier (have family and friends in the SD area makes for a yearly vacation) but one year I really want to go to NYCC. Especially considering it appears to be getting a lot more people I'm interested in.

Until then, I'll just have to drool over stuff like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

This is kinda neat, this person brings their 2 year-old daughter to cons and gets artists to do sketches of her that are collected on this Tumblr.

http://bugaroobanzai.tumblr.com/

• Locked thread