Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

My wife did the one with the sun in sunglasses :c00lbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

NYCC 2013 was pretty awesome as usual. Went a little easy this year on the acquisitions, and mostly hit up less well known artists, and kept it mostly in the $30-$60 range. Here's the highlights:

For my Mr. Freeze Collection:

Katie Cook - she's real nice, and does these for $5:

Nathan Massengil:

Gary Browne:

Lynne Yoshi Wonder Woman:

Marcio Takara Enchantress and Loki - this was actually a pre-convention piece:

Russell Dauterman Dr. Strange (he does the comic Supuerbia, which is ok, but his commission were excellent):

Joe Haley & T.J Dort Scarlet Witch:

Only Splurging I did was on this Neil Adams Conan:

There was some great pieces in the charity auction this year, but nothing that really caught my eye. I did however get this piece from Rodney Reis:

Unfortunately, I didn't have more then $9,000 to spend to try and get the Adam Hughes Captain Marvel he did for the auction, but it was pretty impressive to see in person.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

gninjagnome posted:

This is really loving awesome. I'm always a fan of that style.

quote:

Unfortunately, I didn't have more then $9,000 to spend to try and get the Adam Hughes Captain Marvel he did for the auction, but it was pretty impressive to see in person.
This reminds me of when I went to CBLDF auction at SDCC last year. It was my first year in attendance so I wasn't sure what to expect. I went and saw all the pieces and saw the incredible French cover for Paul Pope's 100%. I was prepared to go much higher than I normally would and started getting into the action. I was out almost as quickly as I was in and over $15k later it was sold. It was kind of the eye opening experience of the night for me.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
The idea of owning a paul pope or frank quietly piece of original art, like just an interior page not even a cover, kind of feels like going to an art museum and asking how much something off the wall costs. And even if I did manage to get ahold of one I wouldn't even know what to do with it. I'd want to lock it in a vault.

Fortunately it seems like most of the artists I like are firmly in the 100-200 dollar range. I've got my eye on an Adam Warren page and another from King City.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

The idea of owning a paul pope or frank quietly piece of original art, like just an interior page not even a cover, kind of feels like going to an art museum and asking how much something off the wall costs. And even if I did manage to get ahold of one I wouldn't even know what to do with it. I'd want to lock it in a vault.
This is exactly how I feel about my Casanova piece from Fabio Moon. It's utterly gorgeous and I have no idea what to do with it. I have a lot of stuff already on my walls but I always fear damaging the art so it's not my best stuff.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I got some stuff custom framed on the side, and made a couple generic frames that I can swap stuff into. About twice a year, we rearrange the artwork on our wall. It's like living in an art gallery!

And for those of you that haven't been to NYCC before, here's artist alley on Saturday:

Place was ridiculous this year, but in a good way. Same as last year, it was in a separate section of the con. It was about 8-9 rows all the way across, and stretched all the way back. The website said there were something like 400 artists in attendance. Thursday this year was pretty good - most of the artists were there, and the show hours were longer than before, so you had a chance to see a ton of stuff. In order to avoid temptation, and blow my budget again, I went to panels and stuff on Friday, so I have no idea what artist alley was like. Saturday was super busy, as you can see, but it was better than the exhibit hall, and I still got on couple of quick commission done. Sunday was actually really packed as well, which was surprising.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

In 2011 I got this sketch from Jacob Chabot after asking him to draw Juggernaut and another object.

At NYCC, I asked him to draw Mike Haggar with another object. This is what I got.

More of the Mike Haggar Plus Prop Challenge here. Hey, he was in the UDON Street Fighter comics. He counts as comic art.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I love the "Character with an object" idea but I always freeze up and forget about it when asking for commissions.

As many as I have, I still get scared a lot of times approaching artists. Sometimes the larger than life thing gets to me. I think it leads a couple people to think I'm just gonna sell their piece the second I get it.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...

Gavok posted:

In 2011 I got this sketch from Jacob Chabot after asking him to draw Juggernaut and another object.

At NYCC, I asked him to draw Mike Haggar with another object. This is what I got.

More of the Mike Haggar Plus Prop Challenge here. Hey, he was in the UDON Street Fighter comics. He counts as comic art.

The juxtaposition of these two pieces rules hard. Hope you frame and hang them on seperate walls around your home

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Oh, I somehow didn't even know this thread existed. Wah.

I hope you're all readers of Yale Stewart's JL8. http://jl8comic.tumblr.com/

I got the piece I made my avatar outta from him about 2 months ago.

He sent the line art, and for an extra $10, a really nice digitally colored print.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

gninjagnome posted:

NYCC 2013 was pretty awesome as usual. Went a little easy this year on the acquisitions, and mostly hit up less well known artists, and kept it mostly in the $30-$60 range. Here's the highlights:

For my Mr. Freeze Collection:

Katie Cook - she's real nice, and does these for $5:

Nathan Massengil:

Gary Browne:

Lynne Yoshi Wonder Woman:

Marcio Takara Enchantress and Loki - this was actually a pre-convention piece:

Russell Dauterman Dr. Strange (he does the comic Supuerbia, which is ok, but his commission were excellent):

Only Splurging I did was on this Neil Adams Conan:

There was some great pieces in the charity auction this year, but nothing that really caught my eye. I did however get this piece from Rodney Reis:

I'm super jealous of the Lynne Yoshi piece. I've had my eye on getting something from her for a while now

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I hadn't heard of her before, but found her while I was wandering around artist alley early on Thursday. She had a pretty short list, and a really reasonable price, so I jumped on it. She also had a couple of her own personal sketch books with her which were neat to look at - it was pretty cool looking at her progression over time.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

gninjagnome posted:

I hadn't heard of her before, but found her while I was wandering around artist alley early on Thursday. She had a pretty short list, and a really reasonable price, so I jumped on it. She also had a couple of her own personal sketch books with her which were neat to look at - it was pretty cool looking at her progression over time.

I LOVE getting commissions from up and comers year over year. It's awesome to see progression over time.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

gninjagnome posted:

I ran across her stuff a couple months back, I think, maybe longer now, she is really good.

http://protokitty.deviantart.com/gallery/

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Through a charity auction, I was finally able to score an awesome Eric Powell Goon piece at a reasonable price!:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I've got that art itch again, anyone get anything new lately? Also, where have you guys been buying pages from? I only know a few places but the more to sift through the better

e: gninjagnome I am so jealous of that Mera you have from Bruce Timm :argh:

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 29, 2013

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

That Meira was one of the first pieces that I bought from a dealer, rather than directly at a convention. I really wanted a Bruce Timm piece, and it was the most reasonably priced one I could find.

I have a baby on the way, so I've been moderating my comic art purchases. We did hang up our Skottie Young Cowardly Lion up in the nursery though!

I'm sure you'll already know about some of these, but I've personally bought stuff from:
Albert Moy - Only for stuff I really want, as I feel he has a pretty high mark up. He is the rep for Bruce Timm, so if you want his stuff, I'd get on the mailing list, as the good pieces go pretty quick.
Artist's Choice - I've only bought a couple pieces from him, because the site is pretty hard to navigate.
Comic Art House - Reps the Scott Wegner if you're looking for Atomic Robo pages. I've arranged a bunch of commissions through him, and had good experiences with them for that.
Hertiage Auction - One of the big comic auction houses, has a comic art auction that closes every Sunday, and periodic big auctions. Be careful though, as they charge a 20% fee on the bid price.
Essential Sequential - They've come up in the thread before. I've dealt with them at conventions, but not online.
Dustin Nguyen - As you may have noticed, I have a lot of his art. I usually buy from him at conventions, but he does sells his art directly from his site, although he doesn't keep it as up to date as he used to.
Splash Page
Will's Comic Art

I also follow Station Studio on Facebook. They are a group of artists that banded together after Boston Comic Con was cancelled last year. They periodically put pieces up for sale on Facebook.

Otherwise, I keep an eye on the Ebay auction on Comic Art Fans.

I haven't personally bought from, but follow the auctions at another big comic art auction house:
Comic Link

At various points have bookmarked, but have no direct experience with them otherwise:
http://cadencecomicart.com/
http://www.kwanchang.com/
http://www.fanfare-se.com/
http://www.romitaman.com/
http://www.serendipityartsales.net/
http://tri-stateoriginalart.com/
http://www.comiconart.com/
http://www.theartofcomics.com/index.html
http://comicartshowcase.com/
http://www.comic-art-ink.com/
http://alrioart.com/index.php
http://www.bigwowart.com/

I'll add any dealers that people have had experience with to the OP. While I'm at it, I'm open to suggestions for any changes.

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 30, 2013

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I was unemployed for a couple months (thankfully after my con season ended) so I've been low on the buying front. I'm just starting to come back from that so hopefully I'll have new stuff soon but also it's time to start saving for con season again.

I can absolutely speak to the awesomeness of Cadance Comic Art. They were the first dealer I ever went with and they rep a large group of amazing artists, mostly foreign. Every time I've dealt with them it's been utterly professional and I always get email responses about inquiries quickly. Check them out and buy with confidence.

I've bought from Splash Page once but honestly what keeps me from being a larger buyer from them is the fact they don't normally take paypal and last time I worked with them they forced a markup on the final price to use it. I understand people can be burned from paypal but they're the only rep I've dealt with that didn't take 20th century online payment methods.

I've talked up Essential Sequential before and I'll do it again. Class act all the way. Utterly friendly and worked with me on numerous purchases. The site owner shows up at a lot of shows where his artists are and twice has given me awesome deals on stuff (once the already framed canvas print of Saga 8 that turned out to be a printers print (he knew this at time of sale), the second he knocked off 15% a Dave Johnson piece for cash purchase at a show).

There's a couple sites I'd love to do business with but I can't stand places that ask me to inquire about price. I don't want to loving email you every time I've curious how much a page is. If I want to haggle the price, I'll send you a counter based on what you have listed.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Thanks guys. I knew about some of those, but it's nice to get some new places to keep an eye on.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I know Splash Page takes credit at conventions, so it's weird they don't on their site. Artist's Choice wanted me to mail them a check - sorta odd, and just extended the time for delivery. I think I ended up generating a one-time use credit card number, and emailing it to him instead. I don't get why these dealers don't take credit cards over the internet like normal, especially since some of their stuff is thousands of dollars.

I also hate it when a dealer lists everything as please inquiry. I did hear that Splash Page doesn't list the Walking Dead covers and splash page prices anymore, because there's been a sort of bubble in prices going on with Walking Dead. The pages were getting immediately snapped up at whatever he'd list it at, so he was definitely leaving money on the table.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I think it was Artist Choice who I had emailed about a page before and the guy told me I had to have two backup pages or he wouldn't check to see if he still had it because :effort:

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Nodoze posted:

I think it was Artist Choice who I had emailed about a page before and the guy told me I had to have two backup pages or he wouldn't check to see if he still had it because :effort:

This just is ultra annoying. It's not that hard to setup a quick database with a front end to keep track of your inventory. In fact, it's almost vital to any business that wants to stay around.

I understand that a lot of the people who've been in the original art game have been doing it well before the internet but holy poo poo do some of these places have antiquated systems. "Mail me a check" I haven't done that poo poo since I started buying just bullshit on ebay back in 98/99.

Also, I have a Walking Dead page I kinda want to get rid of but kinda don't because I haven't put any effort into actually finding a way to sell it. It's from the prison era and has zombies on it (a rarity from that time). It's not the greatest page and honestly, I think I only got it because of the coming Walking Dead bubble at the time.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

RevKrule posted:

This just is ultra annoying. It's not that hard to setup a quick database with a front end to keep track of your inventory. In fact, it's almost vital to any business that wants to stay around.

I understand that a lot of the people who've been in the original art game have been doing it well before the internet but holy poo poo do some of these places have antiquated systems. "Mail me a check" I haven't done that poo poo since I started buying just bullshit on ebay back in 98/99.

Also, I have a Walking Dead page I kinda want to get rid of but kinda don't because I haven't put any effort into actually finding a way to sell it. It's from the prison era and has zombies on it (a rarity from that time). It's not the greatest page and honestly, I think I only got it because of the coming Walking Dead bubble at the time.

He wouldn't do an in person pick up either, which sucks cause he is in CT and I could drive there and pay him in person and not have to pay for shipping. It's always amusing when people selling things make it difficult for you to give them money, especially when you are the one who started the inquiry

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I guess they must be thinking that they are the only source for a particular piece, so if you really want it, you'll jump through whatever hoops they lay out to get them. That or they are just set in their ways, and don't want to change.

I've updated the OP with the dealers, and organized it a little better. If there are any pieces of yours that you like a lot, and want me to add into the OP, just let me know.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
I got my Ross Campbell Glory page from http://www.nsnart.com/ and it was sooooo smooth. He didn't even have it listed or scanned but he was the only dealer I saw so I sent him an email and he dug it up for me almost immediately. Sent him a paypal and got my art in just a few days. Could not have gone better.

RusteJuxx
Jul 14, 2001

College Slice
The guy that runs this site lives about 20 minutes from me in Northeast Ohio. I've purchased 6 pages from him. He's held the pages for over a week for me and let me pick them up at his house (his suggestions after pricing shipping - around $30 if I recall correctly). Very friendly and easy to work with. He's mostly in to older comic art (pre-90s), but he said he's glad to keep his eye out for old and newer pages for customers as he goes to most cons around the US as a dealer.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Added the last two dealers to the OP, and to add some original art, here's a Matteo Scalera Deadpool:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Someone bought the Supergirl page I wanted :argh:

Guess I shouldn't have waited so long to get it

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Just means you can spend the money on something else!

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

gninjagnome posted:

Just means you can spend the money on something else!

I don't know what I want :(

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Scored a pretty excellent Red Sonja by the late Dave Hoover on eBay for a song:

The eBay listing had it listed as an "art print", but after actually receiving it in the mail I'm preeeeety confident it's actual original artwork and the seller just didn't know what he had.

Either way it looks fantastic in person and it'll go great with the She-Hulk and Witchblade artwork I'd commissioned from Dave when he was still alive. He was a real class act and it's a shame that he's passed away.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jan 4, 2014

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

You happen to have a picture of the Witchblade piece? I've considered getting someone to do one for me, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

You'd be hard-pressed to get Dave Hoover to do another Witchblade since he's no longer with us, but you can see all of my commissioned art at http://xenomrph.deviantart.com

I've got a ton of Witchblade, She-Hulk, and Red Sonja commissions there, and I've actually got a whole portfolio of original (but non-commissioned) art I haven't gotten around to posting there yet. I also have some commissions I've gotten from a few cons that I need to scan and post from lesser-known artists I met at the cons, but like an idiot I've forgotten some of their names. I'd love to share their work in my deviantart gallery, but I'd feel like a colossal rear end in a top hat if I couldn't give the artists proper credit. :saddowns:

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Thanks! Yeah - I didn't mean getting one from him in particular, more of a general thing for me to do in the future. I'm a bit concerned about getting someone at a con to do it, as the costume could be a bit involved, and I'd rather they didn't rush it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

gninjagnome posted:

Thanks! Yeah - I didn't mean getting one from him in particular, more of a general thing for me to do in the future. I'm a bit concerned about getting someone at a con to do it, as the costume could be a bit involved, and I'd rather they didn't rush it.
Most convention artists are willing to take payment for the commission at the con, and if they don't think they can finish it at the con they'll take down your address and mail it to you when it's done. I've done that with numerous artists/conventions now. I mean sure you don't get the instant-gratification of getting a commissioned piece in your hands right away, but personally I'm more than happy to wait, let the artist take their time, and make something great.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I was pretty hit or miss with having artists finish stuff at home and mailing it to me when I first started collected, so I generally avoid it unless the artist appears to be on the more organized side. If they end up just writing down my info on some random piece of paper, I'll either ask for my money back if it's a lot, or write it off in my head if it's not (and awesome if I do end up getting it!). To be fair though, more artists seem to have their act together now, then when I first started.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

If you look around a little, you can usually find out if an artist is reputable or not on getting stuff to people. The only time I had an artist mail me a piece after paying for it at a con was Amy Reeder (who knocked it out of the loving park btw). It seemed like she had a reasonably sized list and being a shorter con where she had a long line almost the entire weekend, I can't blame her and her price was sub $100 so if I had to write it off, it was ok. I think I got it like later that month.

I've heard horror stories from people who've commissioned from Ale Garza though. Everything from him constantly pushing back his deadline to not responding to emails. And he's not exactly the most affordable of artists either and requires money up front. I'd love to have a commission from him but that's way to rich for me to write off.

It just takes research like any other good purchase. It's a small community so if they're even remotely popular, someone's got a story they're willing to tell, good or bad.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Mike Lilly's been sitting on $100 and not answering my emails for ages now. So there's that.

FeedRobots
Jul 18, 2006
feedtherobot.com
Any tips on getting pages framed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Do you want to do it yourself, or have someone else do it for you?

• Locked thread