Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Been busy moving into a new house, so didn't notice the new art - some very cool pieces. Eric Canete is one of my favorite artists. He was one of the first artists that I ever got a con sketch from back in '07, before I knew what I was doing.

Anyone pick up anything at SDCC, or any other con's this summer?

Edit: New Page, so I should post some art - here's the first page that I ever picked up:

This was when $200 was a lot of money for a page!

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I love Canete's style. The first couple of times I came across him in an art buying phase I passed because he was just outside my buying range. A couple promotions later and he's a go-to almost any time I see him.

I went to SDCC and almost totally struck out. I'll post tonight what I got but it was a way off year for me. I did however get Amanda Conner's first sketch since she busted her arm which was cool but I spent less money on art than any other SDCC since I started collecting.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

That's too bad about SDCC - I feel like it's gotten harder to get stuff at conventions these days. Could be I'm just getting pickier. We'll see how NYCC goes this year for art, for me but I didn't get a Saturday pass this year, so no art auction, which will probably limit the amount of stuff I get. I'm leaning towards buying whatever pre-made stuff artist happen to bring to the con, rather than trying to get on commission lists. It's a little sad, since that's always been the main focus at conventions, but getting on anyone's lists at NYCC is such a pain these days. On the other hand, if it's a bust, my art budget will probably just go into framing this year, since we just moved into a new house that has way more wall space.

Rehanging the artwork has been fun, as I can plan things out a bit, rather than haphazardly cramming stuff onto my walls as they get framed. This piece has been the hardest to figure out where to put:

It's my Alex Ross Astro City cover (which I don' think I've ever posted). I love the piece, but now that I have a kid, I'm worried that I'm going to freak out a toddler that comes for for a play date or something if it's in my living room (hung it up in my bed room for now).

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

There was a short article on original art at SDCC on Forbes:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robsalkowitz/2016/07/25/the-multi-million-dollar-art-of-comic-con/#4f58bbfd4853

A bit light, but interesting to see this stuff crop up on non-comic sites.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Forbes.com/sites is basically the Examiner. Everyone can have one.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Jackie Santiago finished this up for me today

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Nodoze posted:

Jackie Santiago finished this up for me today

Holy crap is that incredible. Amazing pickup.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

RevKrule posted:

Holy crap is that incredible. Amazing pickup.

Thanks. She did an even better job than I was expecting her to

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Got on Adi Granov's NYCC commission list! :toot:

List closed in 23 min.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

gninjagnome posted:

Got on Adi Granov's NYCC commission list! :toot:

List closed in 23 min.

I so hate you. ;)

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Yeah, I'm pretty psyched. He's one of guys on my dream commission list that I figured out I'd never really be able to get.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Wow, congrats

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

NYCC was fun as always. Seemed like there were a lot of new artists that I haven't seen before, and a huge reduction in the number of people that had those giant poster walls. Didn't really get any commissions at the con, everything was arranged before hand.

Here's the Adi Granov, which is now definitely my favorite pieces in my collection:

Also got 2 Dr. Stranges:
one from Sajad Shah - he almost didn't make it due to the hurricane, but managed to get on a plane Friday night:

and one from Robbi Rodriguez:

Also got this excellet MODOK from Dario Brizeula:

Joining the other goons with commissions from Mahamud Asrar with this Captain Marvel:

and finally a Nightcrawler from Thomas Hodges:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Great pickups. I really like the Magneto and Captain Marvel

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thanks a bunch to gninjagnome for picking this up for me. Just utterly awestruck at it in person.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

That was an awesome piece. I loved the use of the white space. It was pretty tempting to just keep it :)

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Chrissie Zullo is auctioning off a bunch of Inktober pieces

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Struck out on all three of the pieces I wanted. There was a lot of good ones in there too. It didn't help that I wasn't in a position to make a huge purchase or I would've tried to get all of them :).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I got a Mara Jade sketch card by Patricio Carrasco, I think it's pretty cool!

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Xenomrph posted:

I got a Mara Jade sketch card by Patricio Carrasco, I think it's pretty cool!

This is really awesome, great pickup.

On a different topic. Since I'll pimp any and every art sale Ryan Kelly has, here's a link to his pages for Cry Havoc which was a great series from Si Spurrier and him.
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...nVoNnNMV3BpaENn

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
I'm bringing my Con Box to Emerald City Comic Con this weekend.

This is my first big convention outside of the Midwest, what are the odds I'm able to walk up and get a sketch on my box from someone like Humberto Ramos?

I'm assuming close to zero, right?

Tuxedo Jack fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 2, 2017

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I'm bringing my Con Box to Emerald City Comic Con this weekend.

This is my first big convention outside of the Midwest, what are the odds I'm able to walk up and get a sketch on my box from someone like Humberto Ramos?

I'm assuming close to zero, right?

Your odds are not zero, let's put it that way. I'm sure at some point we've talked about it before but one of the best things you can bring to a con is a sketchbook and your box is a lot like a sketchbook. Not just that, but it's totally different than what most people have and a lot of artists really dig weird objects like that, especially ones where they can see other people's work easily.

As long as you're OK with the artist picking what they want to put on it, you'll get it filled pretty fast. They may still ask what you want on it but be prepared for them to want to choose. I usually open with "hey, would you mind doing a quick sketch for me?" and a lot of times they say yes with about 70-80% of that time them asking what I want.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Even people charging for commissions will do something quick for free. Never hurts to ask.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Closing in on some majors here and definitely deep in season (already had C2E2 and Wondercon), anyone have anything new?

I won't have anything until late next month but with Denver Comic Con and SDCC back to back (almost literally), it's gonna tap me out pretty bad. And it really sucks because I just moved to LA and there's like 3 or 4 other worthwhile shows in the SoCal area for the rest of the year.

Also I have now waited 2.5 years for one commission. What the best way to be like "hey, uhhh, can I see any kind of progress on this?" without sounding like a cock.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

RevKrule posted:

Closing in on some majors here and definitely deep in season (already had C2E2 and Wondercon), anyone have anything new?

I won't have anything until late next month but with Denver Comic Con and SDCC back to back (almost literally), it's gonna tap me out pretty bad. And it really sucks because I just moved to LA and there's like 3 or 4 other worthwhile shows in the SoCal area for the rest of the year.

Also I have now waited 2.5 years for one commission. What the best way to be like "hey, uhhh, can I see any kind of progress on this?" without sounding like a cock.
Say to the artist that it's been 2.5 years and you're just wondering what the status of the commission is. Was a long waiting period discussed when you initially paid for the commission? I try to get the artist to commit to some kind of realistic turnaround time before I agree to pay them (or try to negotiate a "down payment now, the rest upon completion" thing, although that's less common for me), and if things start straying significantly past the turnaround time, I'll start making phone calls or sending messages. Like, I get it, life happens - I can totally be way more understanding if I'm in the loop.
I'd say after waiting more than two years without any update on the commission, you're not the cock, they are.

I once waited like 4 years on a commission, all the while the artist was posting up new sketch covers on eBay on a nearly-daily basis (and making bank on them). I learned that I was one of dozens of people who had paid this guy for commissions and then were left twisting in the breeze for years, so a bunch of us bombarded him on social media until he gave us refunds.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

RevKrule posted:

I got another shirtless dude from Kevin Wada. He's also a delight to chat with.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

No art to add, but Amy Reeder is taking commissions - she's was one of my favorite artists since her run on Madame Xanadu.

http://amyreeder.bigcartel.com/product/full-body-inked-commissions

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Moved to SoCal recently and found out I'm a couple miles away from a bunch of comic/pop culture art galleries, including Nucleus who was doing a Babs Tarr/Motorcrush signing and art show yesterday. Now I'm poorer but will be able to take home this Jen Bartel beauty in a couple weeks when the show is over.

Got Denver Comic Con and San Diego coming up but both of them have few artists I want to see so sadly I may not have much this summer. But because of where I've moved it's opened up Long Beach and Stan Lee Comic Con so maybe I'll just be poorer, faster.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

RevKrule posted:

Moved to SoCal recently and found out I'm a couple miles away from a bunch of comic/pop culture art galleries, including Nucleus who was doing a Babs Tarr/Motorcrush signing and art show yesterday. Now I'm poorer but will be able to take home this Jen Bartel beauty in a couple weeks when the show is over.

Got Denver Comic Con and San Diego coming up but both of them have few artists I want to see so sadly I may not have much this summer. But because of where I've moved it's opened up Long Beach and Stan Lee Comic Con so maybe I'll just be poorer, faster.

How much did that set you back, if you don't mind my asking?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Xenomrph posted:

How much did that set you back, if you don't mind my asking?

$300. Everything at the show felt like it was really underpriced but I'm not gonna complain. ;)

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

RevKrule posted:

Wow, I was completely unfamiliar with Jen Bartel, but her stuff is really stunning! That Birds of Prey piece on her website is something else, and I love the neon and pastel color palette she uses. drat.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Unpacking some comics and found this little sketch:

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Unpacking some comics and found this little sketch:

whoa, very cool.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Seeing this thread reminded me I have a Chip Zdarsky Spider-Man sketch tucked into my Sex Criminals trade. Where is my Sex Criminals trade!?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Denver Comic Con was this weekend. The show was meh but I did get some great pieces.

Jasmine - Chrissie Zullo
At a show w/Chrissie Zullo? Get a piece from Chrissie Zullo. That's my motto. She's doing 3/4s this year so gently caress yes.

Black Queen - Matteo Scalera
I asked for a Black Queen commission and he gave me doggos. I should've gotten more doggos.

Belle - Eric Canete
I'm kinda having a love affair w/Canete and Disney Princesses. Third year I've gotten one from him and it's the third year it's my favourite pickup. He just knocks it out every loving time.

Belle and Jasmine - Mindy Lee
This is a commission I setup wayyyyyy back in like January and was done but I didn't get a chance to pickup until this weekend. Love that loving Raja.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Those are all gorgeous.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

San Diego was a little better for me this year, if for no other reason, I actually got some great new pieces and got to see Eduardo Risso who I've been trying to get for years.

Black Queen and White Queen from Eduardo Risso
Just raw Risso here. The only thing I feel disappointed about is I didn't put myself in the poor house for backgrounds so I could get a better example of his negative space work. But I loving love the poo poo out of what I got.

Beach day Ariel from Jen Bartel
I thought Jen would make for a great addition to my "beach day princesses" and I was so right. She went a little more hipster here but still nailed the loving theme. Also, pro tip, if you're at a con and Jen Bartel is there, make it a point to stop by. She's got awesome stuff and is an awesome person.

Anniversary D.Va from Edwin Huang
I've been on an Overwatch playing kick recently and I figured who better to do a video game commission than an Udon artist. Also I love the gently caress out of Skullkickers and Edwin's really nicely priced, especially for an 11x17 full color commission.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Nice haul, especially the Risso!

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Starting to look out for NYCC pre-commissions, but I picked up a couple things over that last two months:

From Amy Reeder:

From Warren Louw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Ugh, seeing that, I feel like poo poo that I passed up a chance at another Amy Reeder. That's so good and she's so fun with her stuff. Great pickups.

• Locked thread