Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm going to Fanexpo this weekend, and this year I'm mostly looking at getting some art stuff. I got on a commission list, prints etc.

What should I bring to carry that kind of stuff around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Found this on r/Marvel. Link to the original thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/Marvel/comments/6wlwsu/after_decades_of_kitty_pryde_being_a_canon_cubs/

Thought some of our goon Cubs fans would like this.

The commission was done by Kris Anka, according to the reddit thread.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Aphrodite posted:

I'm going to Fanexpo this weekend, and this year I'm mostly looking at getting some art stuff. I got on a commission list, prints etc.

What should I bring to carry that kind of stuff around?

It depends on how you wanna roll but the best start at this point is a portfolio. I have a couple Itoya art portfolios around and they seem to be the standard. I tend to buy one size up from the size of most of my pieces as I've freaked out a couple times trying to get say an 11x17 piece into an 11x17 portfolio. They have them with fabric edging which I recommend because it makes it a little easier to grab.

You can buy top loaders too, which would be cheaper individually but if you're gonna be collecting for a bit, you should just break down and get a portfolio. A portfolio on amazon will cost you like $20-30 and a top loader will cost you like $5 but a top loader holds one maybe two pieces and a portfolio holds like 40 I think.

Also, as much as I do commissions, I always bring along a sketch book. Depending on the situation, it may be easier or you may be more comfortable having an artist do something fast in a sketch book and it keeps them from trying to find paper. If you're going to a convention, it's better to have more supplies than less.

I like to carry a small selection of sharpies but mostly for book signings. They usually have those but sometimes it's fun to have some of the brighter colors that make it a little more personalized.

Finally, find a bag that'll fit whatever you decide (top loader, portfolio, sketch book). This seems dumb but I used to hand carry my portfolio and had a backpack for my books. By the middle of the day, my arm was tired and I was constantly freaking out about the positioning of the portfolio (so nothing would accidentally slip out). Late last year I found a hiking bag at IKEA that fit my portfolio and this year was miles better. It even fit my travel stool so at SDCC, once the morning lines started moving, I could just roll it all in one bag and toss it on my back.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I have one of those Itoya portfolios actually, now that you mention it. I didn't even think of that.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

I have one of those Itoya portfolios actually, now that you mention it. I didn't even think of that.

Itoya portfolio is a good choice, just make sure it's big enough for what you plan to buy. I personally just use two pieces of cardboard taped together that someone used to mail me some art. It's light, and big enough for a variety of art and prints sizes. I also bring a couple Mylar bags in case I get pencil art. It's nice to have to reduce the chance of smudging damaging other stuff I buy. Not an issue if you use a portfolio.

Definetly look for a bag if you can find one. I used to use a large swag bag that was given out at a con. Handle was long enough to loop over my shoulder with my art folder in it. It was nice, and you could put other purchases in it too. The bottom just gave out on it, so I found a large backpack, and I'm going to see how that works this year.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I got a giant bag at this same con last year.

I can't find it now, but they were like $3 so I'll just buy another.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Another year, another NYCC! Managed to get Saturday tickets this year, so I made it to the charity auction after missing it this year.

Stephanie Han - Lady Thor. I had a dark phoenix from her from a few years ago, but thought it was time for another pieces. This piece is pretty amazing.

Noolian - Rogue and Gambit. I loved how different his style is. It really stands out.

Eric Donovan - Hawkeye

Dustin Nguyen -Demona and Batman Rogues. Figured I may as well keep adding to my ever growing collection of Dustin Nguyen pieces.

Janet K Lee - Dark Phoenix - Awesome piece from the charity auction. Got into a mini-bidding war with someone, but I loved this piece.

Penelope Peng-Peng Gaylord - Storm - Another auction piece.

Mr. Freeze's - Nathan Fox was in my Mr. Freeze sketch book, but I had commissioned Tony Daniel ahead of the con, so it's loose. I need to see if I can find a way to attach it to the book securely.
Tony Daniels

Nathan Fox

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

gently caress, those are some insanely good pickups. Love the Dark Phoenix and Lady Thor.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Yeah, I got real lucky this year with the quality if what I got.

RusteJuxx
Jul 14, 2001

College Slice
Everything about that Lady Thor is beautiful. I dig the Storm piece too. Very nice haul!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How do you display those pieces?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

zoux posted:

How do you display those pieces?

Personally, I have a couple of frames that I cycle pieces in and out of. Most everything sits in portfolios right now though. I'd like todo a wall or hallway with pictures but I don't own nor have the space right now unfortunately.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Most go into Itoya portfolios. I get a couple of piece framed every year at a local place that usually gives me a good deal . I hang them up around my house. I had run out of wall space in my old house, so I used to cycle them, but I moved last year, so I have plenty of space to display now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Stephanie Hans is doing sketches at a store here on Saturday, but my idiot brother's graduation is that day.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

Stephanie Hans is doing sketches at a store here on Saturday, but my idiot brother's graduation is that day.

Have your brother act out his graduation at a later date/time. Stephanie Hans doing sketches is always more important!

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

gninjagnome posted:

Another year, another NYCC! Managed to get Saturday tickets this year, so I made it to the charity auction after missing it this year.

Dude, you killed it. These are all incredible.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Is Jane Foster Thor the best designed non sexualized super heroine?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Open Marriage Night posted:

Is Jane Foster Thor the best designed non sexualized super heroine?
The new Batgirl costume (the purple one) is great. Ms Marvel is also super-good.

A lot of it for me is just how the artist draws them wearing it. I love Murata's spider-man covers and I love Spidergwen's costume but anything with boobsocks looks fuckin' weird.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's going to depend a lot on if you consider superhero spandex sexualized I guess.

I wouldn't, because it's not like they only do those for women. There are obviously artists who draw those kinds of costumes super sexualized, but it's not a built in thing with the type of costume necessarily.

Some are right from concept though, like Spider-Woman's design specifically framing her chest and crotch.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

It's going to depend a lot on if you consider superhero spandex sexualized I guess.

I wouldn't, because it's not like they only do those for women. There are obviously artists who draw those kinds of costumes super sexualized, but it's not a built in thing with the type of costume necessarily.

Some are right from concept though, like Spider-Woman's design specifically framing her chest and crotch.

I think the issue there is that most superheroes aren't drawn wearing spandex or any kind of modern athletic material, they're drawn wearing body paint or latex. Mostly because it's easier to draw nudes than complex fabrics. I think it's getting a lot better - especially with more female artists. Babs Tarr and Jen Bartel draw sexy women but know how boobs work with fabric. Not that male artists couldn't find plenty of reference imagery of women in wetsuits/swimsuits or leotards and realise very few fabrics accommodate individual boobs.

On another note - do any of the names here stand out? I'm always jealous of you guys in the US's access to artists at cons.

http://www.mcmcomiccon.com/london/attractions/comic-village/

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Those all look like indie or self publishing/web artists.

It was in September, but Thought Bubble Festival looks like it had a really good artist guest list. It’s in Leeds though, I think that’s a few hours from London?

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

No one standing out to me from that list. Not nessesarily a bad thing, looks like some good artists there.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

About two years ago Cliff Chiang opened his commission list for take homes. Just got an alert he finished mine and it's getting shipped this week. I'm...dumbfounded at how loving good this is. Like I've had some awesome commissions this year and this might be my fave.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Those all look like indie or self publishing/web artists.

It was in September, but Thought Bubble Festival looks like it had a really good artist guest list. It’s in Leeds though, I think that’s a few hours from London?

It did! I found out via Jen Bartel's twitter too late to really do anything about it unfortunately.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Man I'm going to end up having like 4 of these Itoya books because of inconsistent sizes.

I have 3 different sizes of "11x17".

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Ha, yeah. I bought a 11x17 frame from Michael's, thinking I could swap out pages in to rotate the art I had up. Turns out one company's (Marvel or DC - I forget which) pages are a little wider, and the other's are a little longer, so nothing fit. Ended up getting one of those see through frames that was the next size up so there would be a little leeway in the sizing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

gninjagnome posted:

Ha, yeah. I bought a 11x17 frame from Michael's, thinking I could swap out pages in to rotate the art I had up. Turns out one company's (Marvel or DC - I forget which) pages are a little wider, and the other's are a little longer, so nothing fit. Ended up getting one of those see through frames that was the next size up so there would be a little leeway in the sizing.

I have a Marvel page that's 11 1/4 x 17, and a DC page that's actually 11x17. Both are from recent, within the last year comics.

I also have a drawing that was listed as 11x17 but is more like 11 4/5 x 17.

At least it'll all fit in a 12x18. An inch at the top is less of an issue than space on the sides to shift around I would think.

Edit: Except they don't make them in 12x18.

I also have a 9 x 12 because some art is done in that size, and an 8 1/2 x 11 mostly I bought it by accident instead of 9 x 12.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 20, 2017

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

This is why I get 13x19 portfolios. loving DC pages can lick my rear end. They're a little more expensive than 11x17 but i know it'll fit every piece i own.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Friend of mine got me tickets to comic con and a cel from Batman. Looks like it's from Mask of the Phantasm, which is pretty cool. Not sure what I'm supposed to do with it, though. Get it framed with the Certificate of Authenticity?

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Professor Wayne posted:

Friend of mine got me tickets to comic con and a cel from Batman. Looks like it's from Mask of the Phantasm, which is pretty cool. Not sure what I'm supposed to do with it, though. Get it framed with the Certificate of Authenticity?

Get it framed and hang it in your den/mancave.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

IronSaber posted:

Get it framed and hang it in your den/mancave.

Pretty much this. You can either frame it w/the COA or not, as long as you keep the record close so you don't lose it, it doesn't matter.

The only other possible suggestion I'd have would be to get like Timm/Dini/Conroy to sign it but that's has it's own problems and you're probably better leaving it bare.

Otherwise it's an excellent piece.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Have you guys ever bought any prints from Sideshow? I got one and it came in the mail rolled up in a tube mailer, if I'm looking to get it framed should I leave it rolled up and let the framing people handle it, or am I expected to flatten it out myself?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I have a few from them but I get the framed ones because I'm lazy and also really lazy.

That said, bring it to them rolled.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Aphrodite posted:

I have a few from them but I get the framed ones because I'm lazy and also really lazy.

That said, bring it to them rolled.

I contemplated buying the framed ones, but $250 framed vs $90 unframed made me think I could save some money getting them framed myself. Then again I don't know how much frames cost or what places offer the best deals for framing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You'll probably save some but not as much as you'd think. Framing's expensive.

Luckily Sideshow prints aren't oversized or else RIP.

It depends on what kind of stores you have available. A big chain like Michael's would be anywhere from like $200-400. They do regularly have 50% off framing coupons and they're out often enough you should never, ever get something framed at Michael's without a coupon. But it's basically a scam, double the framing price so people think the coupon is a deal, catch a few who don't use coupons for bonus money. Also generally what Michaels will do is quote you using museum quality glass and archival materials, which you don't need for a print. That's what you want for original art, but not a print.

Try to find a local independent place or something. Even if you end up paying roughly the same you'll get a hell of a lot better frame than Sideshow uses. Their frames aren't worth the $160 price themselves, it's the convenience factor for me.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 7, 2017

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I've got a ton of original art as well that I might want to get framed someday, but I have so much that I couldn't frame all of it but I'd also be interested in having a sort of "rotating display". Is that a viable option? Like, frames where it's reasonably easy to change out the artwork inside?

The vast majority of the artwork I've got are pretty standard sizes - 11x17, 11x14, 9x12, stuff like that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Some places make top loading frames, though usually only in like 11x17 since that's the standard original art size.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

https://twitter.com/funrama/status/958810398836305921

I always like to notify people of Ryan Kelly sales, he's too good not to get more work. Also if you didn't know, he's available for utterly amazing commissions so consider him for that too.

Shookies
Aug 17, 2003

A Magic Hand took my Freeze-Gun!!

RevKrule posted:

https://twitter.com/funrama/status/958810398836305921

I always like to notify people of Ryan Kelly sales, he's too good not to get more work. Also if you didn't know, he's available for utterly amazing commissions so consider him for that too.

Thanks for the heads up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Just picked up the cover to Mystic U #1 by Julian Tedesco through his art dealer. Was trying to snag a Hawkeye cover for a while, but kept missing them.

• Locked thread