Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
My gallery: http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=47921

Some of my favorites:

Phoenix/Jean Grey/Dark Phoenix by Jackie Santiago

Mera by Jackie Santiago

Hawkgirl by Eric Matos

Supergirl (New 52) Issue 1 Page 5 by Mahmud Asrar

Talia al Ghul by Cameron Stewart

Vicki Vale by Scott McDaniel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

RevKrule posted:

I know he sells Empowered pages because I saw him selling them last year at SDCC. It's just a matter of getting in touch with him to get them.

I really really want a page from Supergirl from Mahmud Asrar, were can I get one?

theartofcomics.com :)

Please don't buy one of the ones I want :ohdear:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Wow that Mary Jane is incredible. I love that type of styling, and I have never seen anything by that artist before. Definitely going to try and get something from him now

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

RevKrule I am looking through your CAF gallery now, you really have some really nice stuff. It's getting me motivated to start getting art again

e: I am so jealous you have Bruce Timm stuff! He is the one guy I've wanted for so long that has eluded me :(

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

RevKrule posted:

Timm does great $100 head sketches at cons (he's been at SDCC for at least the past 3 years) but you have to get there first thing in the morning and be sure to pick it up at the end of the day. Otherwise that's pretty much the quality you get. Fast but very incredibly well done.

He also does full body color commissions for SDCC through his art dealer (albertmoy.com). I almost choked when I saw the price ($1250) for an 8.5x11. I'm happy with the head shots.

Thanks for the words about my collection. I'm a sucker for trying to get just rising people or alt artists. I'd love a Paul Pope piece but it's like getting a Kirby in some circles. The Skottie Young pieces were done a couple years ago, well before his baby Marvel covers skyrocketed. I love the McKelvie page I got (from Siege: Loki), it's shows off his style exceptionally with making sexy but not exploitative. It's got Mephisto with mutton chops and it's got Loki.

I still have a couple pages and such that aren't up there. Honestly, there are comics I enjoy to read but I love owning art. I love having a piece of art that's just stunning to look at. It's such a rush for me to get a package from an artist or dealer and open it up and for the first time, get a hard look at the details of a piece. Or discussing with an artist on a piece and watching it go through process until it's finished.

I'm the same way when it comes to art. I try to look for people who can draw women well, because I feel like that means their overall quality of work is higher. Of course that's a subjective thing, but I definitely have a style I prefer and most people don't draw that way. It's also a nice surprise to run across people I have not seen before who fit what I am looking for.

I didn't know Timm did his head sketches for so cheap, but too bad I'll probably never make it out to SDCC :(

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

RevKrule posted:

The first year I learned he was at SDCC, I didn't even run across him until Saturday afternoon. Obviously he was already booked up and he never shows up on Sunday. I made it a mission to get him first thing the next year but it was one hell of a long year.

Edit: Also, his head shots are an open secret. I've seen them go on ebay for 2x the price easy which is a little weird to see knowing what they cost. It's the same with Adam Hughes head shots. I got a batgirl head shot from him, super rough, obviously con sketch quality but it just cost a donation of any amount to one of his causes. You check ebay and people will pay over $100 for them.

I really want a color commission from him but I just don't have the money now. Some day though :allears:

Right now I really want something from Lynne Yoshi, and theres a couple pages I have been eying as well. I'd like to get something from Jackie Santiago again but it seems like she has dropped off the face of the earth with real life stuff since I last heard from her. Too bad, the triple Jean Grey piece she did for me was astounding

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

gninjagnome posted:

NYCC 2013 was pretty awesome as usual. Went a little easy this year on the acquisitions, and mostly hit up less well known artists, and kept it mostly in the $30-$60 range. Here's the highlights:

For my Mr. Freeze Collection:

Katie Cook - she's real nice, and does these for $5:

Nathan Massengil:

Gary Browne:

Lynne Yoshi Wonder Woman:

Marcio Takara Enchantress and Loki - this was actually a pre-convention piece:

Russell Dauterman Dr. Strange (he does the comic Supuerbia, which is ok, but his commission were excellent):

Joe Haley & T.J Dort Scarlet Witch:

Only Splurging I did was on this Neil Adams Conan:

There was some great pieces in the charity auction this year, but nothing that really caught my eye. I did however get this piece from Rodney Reis:

Unfortunately, I didn't have more then $9,000 to spend to try and get the Adam Hughes Captain Marvel he did for the auction, but it was pretty impressive to see in person.

I'm super jealous of the Lynne Yoshi piece. I've had my eye on getting something from her for a while now

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

gninjagnome posted:

I hadn't heard of her before, but found her while I was wandering around artist alley early on Thursday. She had a pretty short list, and a really reasonable price, so I jumped on it. She also had a couple of her own personal sketch books with her which were neat to look at - it was pretty cool looking at her progression over time.

I ran across her stuff a couple months back, I think, maybe longer now, she is really good.

http://protokitty.deviantart.com/gallery/

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I've got that art itch again, anyone get anything new lately? Also, where have you guys been buying pages from? I only know a few places but the more to sift through the better

e: gninjagnome I am so jealous of that Mera you have from Bruce Timm :argh:

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 29, 2013

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Thanks guys. I knew about some of those, but it's nice to get some new places to keep an eye on.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I think it was Artist Choice who I had emailed about a page before and the guy told me I had to have two backup pages or he wouldn't check to see if he still had it because :effort:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

RevKrule posted:

This just is ultra annoying. It's not that hard to setup a quick database with a front end to keep track of your inventory. In fact, it's almost vital to any business that wants to stay around.

I understand that a lot of the people who've been in the original art game have been doing it well before the internet but holy poo poo do some of these places have antiquated systems. "Mail me a check" I haven't done that poo poo since I started buying just bullshit on ebay back in 98/99.

Also, I have a Walking Dead page I kinda want to get rid of but kinda don't because I haven't put any effort into actually finding a way to sell it. It's from the prison era and has zombies on it (a rarity from that time). It's not the greatest page and honestly, I think I only got it because of the coming Walking Dead bubble at the time.

He wouldn't do an in person pick up either, which sucks cause he is in CT and I could drive there and pay him in person and not have to pay for shipping. It's always amusing when people selling things make it difficult for you to give them money, especially when you are the one who started the inquiry

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Someone bought the Supergirl page I wanted :argh:

Guess I shouldn't have waited so long to get it

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

gninjagnome posted:

Just means you can spend the money on something else!

I don't know what I want :(

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

This is super late but that Batgirl piece is amazing and I'm a little jealous!

I have a page from his time on the Stephanie Brown Batgirl series, but I do want more of his stuff. He's very good

I'm also starting to get the itch for getting new pieces hard, thinking about it now it's been quite a while since I have gotten anything at all

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 13, 2015

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Those of you who have gotten things from Chrissie Zullo, was it hard? I remember talking to her at a convention before but this was two years ago and I have no idea what she said. I'm guessing I'd have to get in touch with her now to get something at BCC later this month?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Guess that means I need to get there really early then haha

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Holy poo poo those last two :stare:

I really want something from them now. I wasn't able to go to BCC because of work but I already was given the OK to have NYCC time off so hopefully I can get a bunch of things there

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

How do I get an Anka?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

NYCC is this weekend! I need something picked up from someone who is going, any takers :)

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

gninjagnome posted:

I'm going, what do you need? Feel free to PM me as well.

Awesome, thank you. I sent you a PM

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Thanks to gninjagnome for picking this up for me. A pre-show commission by Mahmud Asrar of Nurse Joy. He is one of my favorite artists and I've gotten a few things from him before. He was gracious enough to squeeze me in at the end of his list and I'm glad he did cause he did a fantastic job on this IMO

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

RevKrule posted:

drat you. If I had known that's who you were getting I'd have tried myself for something! Although now that he's changed art dealers, maybe he'll do some shipped commissions.

Either way, really really awesome piece.

Thank you! It was back in the middle of August when I emailed him. I'm not sure if he was taking stuff at the show or not

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

gninjagnome posted:

Here are the rest of my pieces from NYCC. This was one of my better years for pieces in the last couple years

Elsa Charretier - Zatanna - pre-commision sketch.:

This is incredible. I have a new name to add to the list of people to get things from

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Jackie Santiago finished this up for me today

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

RevKrule posted:

Holy crap is that incredible. Amazing pickup.

Thanks. She did an even better job than I was expecting her to

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Wow, congrats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Great pickups. I really like the Magneto and Captain Marvel

• Locked thread