Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

It's going to depend a lot on if you consider superhero spandex sexualized I guess.

I wouldn't, because it's not like they only do those for women. There are obviously artists who draw those kinds of costumes super sexualized, but it's not a built in thing with the type of costume necessarily.

Some are right from concept though, like Spider-Woman's design specifically framing her chest and crotch.

I think the issue there is that most superheroes aren't drawn wearing spandex or any kind of modern athletic material, they're drawn wearing body paint or latex. Mostly because it's easier to draw nudes than complex fabrics. I think it's getting a lot better - especially with more female artists. Babs Tarr and Jen Bartel draw sexy women but know how boobs work with fabric. Not that male artists couldn't find plenty of reference imagery of women in wetsuits/swimsuits or leotards and realise very few fabrics accommodate individual boobs.

On another note - do any of the names here stand out? I'm always jealous of you guys in the US's access to artists at cons.

http://www.mcmcomiccon.com/london/attractions/comic-village/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Those all look like indie or self publishing/web artists.

It was in September, but Thought Bubble Festival looks like it had a really good artist guest list. It’s in Leeds though, I think that’s a few hours from London?

It did! I found out via Jen Bartel's twitter too late to really do anything about it unfortunately.

• Locked thread