Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I loved seeing what original art and commissions other posters have acquired, so I thought I would revive the original art thread!

For those of you that don't know, most publishers allow artists to keep their work after they are done and, more importantly for this thread, allow them to resell them. Typically you can pick up these original panels at conventions, from art dealers, or from the artist's website. Prices will vary by artists, subject matter, inked vs penciled, etc. but it can run the gamut from $50 all the way up to multiple thousands of dollars.

Some example interior pages that I've picked up recently:

You can also get some excellent covers:

In addition to original panels, artists will often take commissions. Mostly at conventions, but many will do them in their free time as well.

Here are some of my favorites from my collection:

Purchasing Comic Art Online
While, it's easiest (and in my opinion the funnest way) to get art is at conventions. You can also make purchases through various art dealers. You will pay a premium though. You can generally find them by googling for artists name + art dealer, or just searching for original comic art.

Here are some art dealers that Goons have purchased from in the past, and had good experiences with:
Albert Moy
Candence Comic Art
Comic Art House
Essential Sequential
Splash Page
Anthony's Comic Book Art
NSNart
Romitaman

In addition to the art dealers, there are a couple auction houses that have periodic original comic art auctions:
Hertiage Auction - They have a comic art auction that closes every Sunday which a wide variety of pieces, but most of the good stuff shows up at their periodic featured auctions. This is where a lot of the big pieces (talking 6 figures) end up selling. Things like the original Watchmen covers, or Frank Miller originals. Be careful though, as they charge a 20% dealer's premium on top of the bid price.
ComicLink - Another big comic auction house. They have periodic comic art auctions, and attract some bigger peices.

Some artists sell direct as well, so if there is someone specific you like, just see if they have a web page. They'll often list their reps as well, if they don't manage it themselves.

And finally, Comic Art Fans has both internal listings, a listing of currently active auctions on ebay, plus you can contact other collectors directly to arrange sales.

Some Tips:
Bring a couple sketch books with you - artists can take a while, so if you want to get a lot of art at once, it good to have a couple books with you that you can hand out.

I like to use thicker quality paper sketch book - 70 or 80 lbs. Some artists like to use water colors, and it helps prevent it from bleeding through. A smooth thick board (like a comic board) can also be helpful if you can find one that's the right size for your sketch book.

Bring reference art if you want sketches of less well known characters, or plan on asking people to do sketches of characters they might not be familiar with.

Often if you buy a book or poster for an artists, they will do a free quick sketch for you, even if they normally charge for commissions.

If you see some artists sitting around bored, go up and talk to them and ask them to do something for you - even if you've never heard of them! I got the above Eric Canete Zatanna for free several years ago - he now charges $200 for a commission.

Chat up the artist, and flip through their stuff. Some artists have a wildly different personal style than their comic work, and you can get an artist to do something quick for free if it's something that's interests them.

Check out the charity art auctions at Cons. I've gotten some great deals at 25-50% off. Plus, artists will often donate stuff they wouldn't normally sell.

If an artist you like is attending a convention you are going to, contact or search for your artists a couple weeks before the start of the con. Artist will often take commissions prior to the con, for delivery at the con. These are often done before the convention, so the quality is better, as they are not as rushed. Even if it's done at the convention, this will save you time, and help ensure you get the commission you want.

Themed collections are awesome to see and own. You can have a theme just for the convention (Like Gavok's Character + Object theme for each convention), have it a more general thing (I have a Mr. Freeze sketchbook), or give you a long term goal (I saw someone that had a Sandman themed book going, and got every artist that worked on the series to do something in it).

Other Original Art Resources
Comic Art Fans - Probably the site for comic art in general. It's a huge database of collectors, and galleries of their collections. They also provide resources to sell art - including indexing many dealer's collection, as well as provide a list of ebay auctions for original art.
Collector's Society Board - Comic book art discussion board, reasonable active.
There's also the comicart-l mailing list on yahoo groups, for those of you still into mail groups (and who isn't??)

Goon Comic Art Galleries:
gninjagnome:http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=41909
Nodoze: http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=47921
CaptainApathyUK: http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=50308

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Awesome more art! I'm going to slowly post some of other pieces to keep the thread alive as well. I love that Cassanova piece.

For more art:

Here's a set of four scratch board Fantastic Four commissions I commissioned from Dirk Shearer and had framed:

We got the Human Torch at NYCC 2010, then contacted him after the con to get the remaining members of the Fantastic Four. He does book illustrations for a living, and was at the con to try and make some connections with publishers. I haven't seen him at another con, so I'm really glad we got him to do this for us when we had a chance.

And speaking of Ryan Ottley here's an Invincible piece from last year:

He was at the Image booth at NYCC in 2011, and he didn't have a line on Friday, so I waltzed up to him asked for a commission. I was really surprised it was that easy. This year, he had a quite a line in Artists Alley.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Thought I'd post some of my favorite pieces that we picked up from charity auction over the last few years.

Amy Reeder Batwoman from NYCC this year:

Marcus To Original X-men, also from this years NYCC

Dustin Nyguyen Hellboy from SDCC in 2008:

Riley Rossmo - Monsters and Dames from ECCC in 2011:

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 28, 2012

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Not a drawing or a sketch, but a custom rocketeer sculpture I commissioned from Steven Defendini at NYCC came - check it out:

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 3, 2012

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

RevKrule posted:

That is really loving awesome. What's the medium he used?

It's a combination of stuff - The helmet, hands, boots and gun are some sort of high density foam that he painted. The jacket is faux leather, and the pants are cloth, and I think exhaust is spray foam.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Thought I'd bump the thread since con season is starting up! I'll be headed to Emerald City Con next week. Already have some stuff lined up from Camilla D'Errico and Joelle Jones. In the mean time, here's a Jim Calafiore Planet Hulk commission I got through his kickstarter for Leaving Megalopolis:

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

So, if you had $150,000, the cover art to Watchmen #1 could have been yours today!

Edit: and $65,000 would have scored you an original Calvin and Hobbes strip

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 22, 2013

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Not home yet, so not the best pictures in the world, but here are some highlights from my acquisitions at ECCC since imgur seems to be wonky about uploads at the moment:

Got this Rouge from Mike Choi. I believe this is a prelim for a poster piece, but since it's just a prelim, I got it for way cheaper then I thought it would cost.

My years of stalking Dustin Nguyen have finally paid off - took my Mr. Freeze sketch book I started at NYCC, and returned this Mr. Freeze for me at ECCC:

Asked Joelle Jones to do a noirish Madame Xanadu, and this was the result:

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

If you pay attention to her blog, she took pre-orders for the convention, so I just showed up on Friday, and it was ready. I actually saw your commission on her site, which is why I got one. Probably the best $50 I've spent for a commission in a while.

I'm actually going to start looking for more pre-convention orders from now on. About 2 weeks before the con, I just google searched for ECCC pre-order commisions, and a few other variations, and landed 4 of them. It's good for budgeting, and let me attend more of the con as well. Going forward, I'm going to start looking 3 weeks or so ahead, as that seems like when most people started soliciting for them.

Edit: Oh yeah - I've always been hesitant to get something from mike, just because it is kinda pricey, but since this was already done, I at least knew what I was getting.

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 5, 2013

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

That's pretty cool. Kickstarter commission rewards are part of the reason I've basically just started Friending every artist I know on Facebook.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Craig Rousseau was taking commissions through his art dealer, so I got this Dr. Strange:

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Someone on Comic Art Fans claims that Mighty Nib Original Comic Art is his dealer, so you could try contacting them to find out if pages are for sale. Alternatively, he seems to have a deviant art site, and twitter, so you could just ask him directly if anything is available, or how to get some. It's possible he just sells at conventions or something.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Speaking of CAF galleries - I just added the ones that people posted to the OP.

Edit: Just to add some art - here's an artist rendition of my dog that I got commissioned at NYCC2011, took about a year to get from Gregory Titus:

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 4, 2013

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

RevKrule posted:

Thanks for the words about my collection. I'm a sucker for trying to get just rising people or alt artists.

I've gone through a cycle now - started with new or less well known artists, then was trying to get bigger names for a while, now I'm back to more less known artists. Looking back, some of my favorite pieces are from less well known artists. It's clear talent isn't the only thing that makes you popular, and since they're less busy, they put a lot more effort into it. It's partly why I started a Mr. Freeze sketch book - so I'd always have something for someone to draw.

I've also learned that I'm a sucker for watercolors.

Nodoze posted:

I didn't know Timm did his head sketches for so cheap, but too bad I'll probably never make it out to SDCC :(

He was at emerald city two years ago, and NYCC last year. I know he was sketching at ECCC, and pretty sure he was at NYCC as well. I regret not getting something from him at ECCC, since it seemed like it was my best bet to get a sketch as the lines to get in weren't ridiculous. Unfortunately I didn't notice he was there until Saturday afternoon, and he was booked up.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

RevKrule posted:

Edit: Also, his head shots are an open secret. I've seen them go on ebay for 2x the price easy which is a little weird to see knowing what they cost. It's the same with Adam Hughes head shots. I got a batgirl head shot from him, super rough, obviously con sketch quality but it just cost a donation of any amount to one of his causes. You check ebay and people will pay over $100 for them.

I could understand a small mark up if you can't make it to conventions he goes to- like $25 or something, but I just don't seem them going for what they do go for. It's cool to have something by him, and Adam and his wife were really nice people when I got mine, and it's nice to donate to charity, but it's not the greatest example of his work. Then again, I'm probably not one to talk, considering some of the questionable purchases I've made.

BromanderData posted:

Bar none my favorite iteration of Mr. Freeze

According to Dustin - it's Mr. Freeze in Hell, which explains the red background. He's one of my favorite artists, and I think he's pretty underrated.

Bonus Scarface also by Dustin:

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

RevKrule posted:

Poison Ivy - Dave Johnson
This is the first of two Johnson pieces I got this weekend. This was an utterly beautiful piece that I had had my eye on for a while. I spoke with his art dealer back in Denver Comic-Con and we worked out a negotiable deal on the piece. He would knock X off the price if I paid cash. I didn't have cash at the time but told him I would at SDCC. As part of the deal, he was free to display the piece for sale at Heroes as well as on the website and if he got a bite at full price, he was more than welcome to take it. That didn't happen and I was able to get this gorgeous piece at a discount.

Viper - Jorge Molina
This is the second of two. Again, I'm a fan of Molina but for different reasons. This piece is seriously cover worthy. While less dynamic of a pose than Scalera, Molina was able to capture the character just as well with an incredibly sexy, brooding style. Choosing a favourite between the two is difficult as hell as both are amazing for utterly different reasons.

It's really hard to choose a favourite piece from the weekend since there are so many amazing ones. But I would like to use this time to pimp out https://www.essentialsequential.com. I've dealt with them at two separate cons and at least once previous for purchases. The guy who runs it is an utter class act and if he ships stuff, it's sent in almost bend-proof packaging. Simple chatting him up got me money off the aforementioned Poison Ivy piece AND got me the Printer's Press copy of Fiona Staples' canvas print because I didn't want to pay for stretching. Seriously, do business with this guy if you're in the market for original art. He has some incredible artists and a wide range of prices.

These two are seriously nice pieces, so jealous! Essential sequential really represents a nice group of artists, and goes to a ton of cons.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

RevKrule posted:

Best place for display frames? Michael's usually has 11x17 frames but not really 11x17 pre-cut mattes for larger sizes. I don't mind necessarily sticking some art flat in frame but would love to know if there's better places, certainly for pre-cut mattes.

I cut my own mats from time to time - it's pretty easy. You just need one of these: http://amzn.com/B0019IISD8, and a straight edge and some clamps. I bought a pack of dual color black and white mat board, and have been using that for matting. It's nice, since you can mat whatever size you want, so if you have a smaller sketch or something, you don't need to display all the white space. I don't keep most of my sketches in the book - I bought a perforated book, so I tear them out after each con. I made a mat and frame for that size, and I swap thing out whenever I feel like it. I do think it's worth the time to find a good framing place near you - it took a while, but I finally found one, and it's nice when you want to do thing like display the art with the comic, or have something in pencil that you're afraid is going to smudge.

RevKrule posted:

When I see pieces going for over $2k it makes me astonished. Covers I kinda understand. Important interiors (either artist, issue or character) I understand but just plain ol' specialty pieces going for like $2k is insane. I see it happen, especially with image co-founders, all the loving time.

In the grand scheme of things, a lot of original art prices are cheaper then fine art pieces. $2-3K for original art at a fine art gallery is on the low end. I've seen a couple pieces that I felt are definitely worth the price - but they were all take home commissions or pre-orders. I would never drop that much for a piece done at a convention (like the Hughes pieces). One in particular that stuck out to me was a batman/poison ivy commission from some mid-level artist (forget his name). The thing was a full 11x17 water color, and gorgeous - it was Ivy under a willow tree, with batman entangled in a some vines - very well done, a little haunting . Some guy commissioned it for $3k. I happened to be at his table when the guy that bought it picked it up - the artist spent over 3 weeks on the thing, and included some of the prelim work, which was really cool to see.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

NYCC is next week, my wife and I found out we're expecting, so I've been holding back on buying anything new, but I'm going to try and splurge a bit at the con. Plan for this weekend is to go through the artist alley list, and see who to check out.

In anticipation, here's some more art from previous NYCC's:

From Buzz - Nightcrawler - he was funny, because the first 2/3 of his work at his table was stuff I wouldn't normally be interested in, but the last third had some awesome watercolors. This was one of the first pieces I ever commissioned:

Paolo Rivera Doctor Doom - He's always painting at cons, and I love watching him work. In 2010, I decided to make him a priority to get a commission and ended up with this:

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

NYCC 2013 was pretty awesome as usual. Went a little easy this year on the acquisitions, and mostly hit up less well known artists, and kept it mostly in the $30-$60 range. Here's the highlights:

For my Mr. Freeze Collection:

Katie Cook - she's real nice, and does these for $5:

Nathan Massengil:

Gary Browne:

Lynne Yoshi Wonder Woman:

Marcio Takara Enchantress and Loki - this was actually a pre-convention piece:

Russell Dauterman Dr. Strange (he does the comic Supuerbia, which is ok, but his commission were excellent):

Joe Haley & T.J Dort Scarlet Witch:

Only Splurging I did was on this Neil Adams Conan:

There was some great pieces in the charity auction this year, but nothing that really caught my eye. I did however get this piece from Rodney Reis:

Unfortunately, I didn't have more then $9,000 to spend to try and get the Adam Hughes Captain Marvel he did for the auction, but it was pretty impressive to see in person.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I got some stuff custom framed on the side, and made a couple generic frames that I can swap stuff into. About twice a year, we rearrange the artwork on our wall. It's like living in an art gallery!

And for those of you that haven't been to NYCC before, here's artist alley on Saturday:

Place was ridiculous this year, but in a good way. Same as last year, it was in a separate section of the con. It was about 8-9 rows all the way across, and stretched all the way back. The website said there were something like 400 artists in attendance. Thursday this year was pretty good - most of the artists were there, and the show hours were longer than before, so you had a chance to see a ton of stuff. In order to avoid temptation, and blow my budget again, I went to panels and stuff on Friday, so I have no idea what artist alley was like. Saturday was super busy, as you can see, but it was better than the exhibit hall, and I still got on couple of quick commission done. Sunday was actually really packed as well, which was surprising.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I hadn't heard of her before, but found her while I was wandering around artist alley early on Thursday. She had a pretty short list, and a really reasonable price, so I jumped on it. She also had a couple of her own personal sketch books with her which were neat to look at - it was pretty cool looking at her progression over time.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Through a charity auction, I was finally able to score an awesome Eric Powell Goon piece at a reasonable price!:

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

That Meira was one of the first pieces that I bought from a dealer, rather than directly at a convention. I really wanted a Bruce Timm piece, and it was the most reasonably priced one I could find.

I have a baby on the way, so I've been moderating my comic art purchases. We did hang up our Skottie Young Cowardly Lion up in the nursery though!

I'm sure you'll already know about some of these, but I've personally bought stuff from:
Albert Moy - Only for stuff I really want, as I feel he has a pretty high mark up. He is the rep for Bruce Timm, so if you want his stuff, I'd get on the mailing list, as the good pieces go pretty quick.
Artist's Choice - I've only bought a couple pieces from him, because the site is pretty hard to navigate.
Comic Art House - Reps the Scott Wegner if you're looking for Atomic Robo pages. I've arranged a bunch of commissions through him, and had good experiences with them for that.
Hertiage Auction - One of the big comic auction houses, has a comic art auction that closes every Sunday, and periodic big auctions. Be careful though, as they charge a 20% fee on the bid price.
Essential Sequential - They've come up in the thread before. I've dealt with them at conventions, but not online.
Dustin Nguyen - As you may have noticed, I have a lot of his art. I usually buy from him at conventions, but he does sells his art directly from his site, although he doesn't keep it as up to date as he used to.
Splash Page
Will's Comic Art

I also follow Station Studio on Facebook. They are a group of artists that banded together after Boston Comic Con was cancelled last year. They periodically put pieces up for sale on Facebook.

Otherwise, I keep an eye on the Ebay auction on Comic Art Fans.

I haven't personally bought from, but follow the auctions at another big comic art auction house:
Comic Link

At various points have bookmarked, but have no direct experience with them otherwise:
http://cadencecomicart.com/
http://www.kwanchang.com/
http://www.fanfare-se.com/
http://www.romitaman.com/
http://www.serendipityartsales.net/
http://tri-stateoriginalart.com/
http://www.comiconart.com/
http://www.theartofcomics.com/index.html
http://comicartshowcase.com/
http://www.comic-art-ink.com/
http://alrioart.com/index.php
http://www.bigwowart.com/

I'll add any dealers that people have had experience with to the OP. While I'm at it, I'm open to suggestions for any changes.

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 30, 2013

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I know Splash Page takes credit at conventions, so it's weird they don't on their site. Artist's Choice wanted me to mail them a check - sorta odd, and just extended the time for delivery. I think I ended up generating a one-time use credit card number, and emailing it to him instead. I don't get why these dealers don't take credit cards over the internet like normal, especially since some of their stuff is thousands of dollars.

I also hate it when a dealer lists everything as please inquiry. I did hear that Splash Page doesn't list the Walking Dead covers and splash page prices anymore, because there's been a sort of bubble in prices going on with Walking Dead. The pages were getting immediately snapped up at whatever he'd list it at, so he was definitely leaving money on the table.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I guess they must be thinking that they are the only source for a particular piece, so if you really want it, you'll jump through whatever hoops they lay out to get them. That or they are just set in their ways, and don't want to change.

I've updated the OP with the dealers, and organized it a little better. If there are any pieces of yours that you like a lot, and want me to add into the OP, just let me know.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Added the last two dealers to the OP, and to add some original art, here's a Matteo Scalera Deadpool:

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Just means you can spend the money on something else!

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

You happen to have a picture of the Witchblade piece? I've considered getting someone to do one for me, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Thanks! Yeah - I didn't mean getting one from him in particular, more of a general thing for me to do in the future. I'm a bit concerned about getting someone at a con to do it, as the costume could be a bit involved, and I'd rather they didn't rush it.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I was pretty hit or miss with having artists finish stuff at home and mailing it to me when I first started collected, so I generally avoid it unless the artist appears to be on the more organized side. If they end up just writing down my info on some random piece of paper, I'll either ask for my money back if it's a lot, or write it off in my head if it's not (and awesome if I do end up getting it!). To be fair though, more artists seem to have their act together now, then when I first started.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Do you want to do it yourself, or have someone else do it for you?

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Shop around a lot, prices vary wildly from place to place, but I generally pay around $200-$300 for good professional framing for a single page. Price goes up pretty quickly with size of the framing, so factor that in if you want to frame a page with the printed comic or something. I currently use a local art gallery/frame shop for framing.

Avoid the mall places. When I was first looking at getting stuff framed, I found them to be ~5x more expensive for pieces (I was quoted $1000 to frame a page!).

Michael's prices is ok, if you use a coupon/wait for a sale, but you can usually find a frame place that will do it for the same price. Can't say anything about the quality as I've never actually used them (I personally wouldn't trust them with what you have).

If you're getting multiple pieces done, ask if they can give you discount.

Make sure they use archival materials (most should, but doesn't hurt to check). Also, go for the UV protecting glass, this will help prevent fading on the pieces over time when have them displayed (also don't display them in areas that are exposed to direct sunlight).

I generally get a 2-3 in matte on the piece, unless it's double page spread (I go for smaller there just for cost). I've found having a darker matte board looks better on inked pages - if it's lighter, the page gets lost in the frame. You can't really go wrong with a black mat, but I've started to get some other colors for variety. If you want to go white, or if you go black, it can be nice to get double mat and have a splash of color on the interior mat. I did this with a couple pieces. If it's a colored page, it can still look good, but it can be harder to find a nice complementary color to all of the color in the frame - for the one I had done, I picked the dominant color for the interior matte color.

Other big thing is to decide how much of the border you want showing. Early on, I had my hulk piece matted to only show the art, and the wife doesn't like it as much, so now I frame with the whole border showing. If they do that, they will end up attaching tape to the back of the print. It should be archival tape, so it shouldn't damage the print long term, but something for you to consider.

Of they happen to be pencils, ask them if they use spacers so the piece isn't touching the glass - that should prevent the piece from getting smudge if it shifts around in the frame for some reason.

If you want to see what some pieces look like framed, here are my two walls (sorry for the crappy photos).

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 16, 2014

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

StumblyWumbly posted:

That is loving embarrassment of riches you have on your wall. Love the Oeming.

It's good for me (but not my wallet), that my wife likes collecting original art as well. We were thinking of buying a new house, and the amount of wall space for hanging pictures was actually a consideration.

Probably going to be a slow year for me this year - we just had a baby, so time and money is going to be a tighter than usual. I'm still planning on going to NYCC this year, and ReedPop is putting together a new comic focused convention in NYC in June which I'm thinking of checking that out. It's only two days, so I'm not sure how well commission will work out, but I figure it's worth checking out. Hopefully first year crowds won't be that bad. I also find it hilarious that they need to have a second comic book convention that actually focuses on comics.

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 28, 2014

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

You can sometimes talk them into giving you a quick sketch for free, but then you won't have much say in what you end up getting.

Prices sometimes vary by the con too, it can depend on how much they have to pay to get their, and the number of attendees at a particular con.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Yeah, like Darwyn Cooke doesn't do con commissions, but if there's no one around, and you ask nicely, he'll do a quick head sketch for you. That's how I got mine.

So, to add some art to this thread - I'm not entirely sure why I bought this, but I did, and it just came in.

Matthew Fletcher - ALF!

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 1, 2014

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

If you want to be sure you're better off with cash, but a lot artists have started to take credit - seeing a lot more of them using Square. I've Paypaled money at conventions through my phone too. You do have to be careful, as sometimes the convention wifi/cell coverage is spotty, so it takes forever or even never goes through. I spent about an hour wandering around the exterior of NYCC with J.Scott Campbell's brother trying to get a signal for their credit card machine when I was purchasing some art a couple years ago.

Bigger names, tend to be more likely to take credit cards, and most people that sit with dealers will as well (like the Essential Sequential people).

Credit can get a little dangerous for me at conventions, so I've actually stopped charge things, and try to stick to just spending the cash I bring.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

The Comic Art Professional Society (CAPS) is running an art auction to raise money to help cover medical expenses's for Stan Sakai's (creator of Usagi Yojimbo) wife. New pieces are going to be posted every Thursday. Some really big names have donated pieces. I've been keeping an eye on the art on Facebook, and some of them are some really awesome pieces that are coming up.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/capsauction

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Those are great pages.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

If you run into Jason Metcalf at a convention, he does really good high fantasy commissions. His superhero art wasn't my style, so I almost passed him by, but he had some cool Game of Thrones concept art that he did for the TV show which caught my eye. I had him do this for me (it's pencil, so it didn't scan very well):

I was waiting until I actually received this commission in the mail to post this, but I did get this scan from Ted Naifeh:

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

So, I just got back form Special Edition: NYC, which is ReedPop's (producers of NYCC)comic focused comic-con. Aside from the hilarity of needing a comic focused comic book convention, turned out to be pretty decent. Not too crowded, some decent names, and prices were pretty cheap for commissions (prices seemed lower than NYCC...). Didn't get much though, as I was only there for the one day, and I couldn't stay late to wait for commissions to complete. I did snag these though:

Mr. Freezes for the collceiton:
T.J Dort and Joe Haley:

Yale Stewart:

Pre-ordered this Rafael Albuquerque Pearl from American Vampire:

Picked up this Rod Reis Magik:

Also snagged a decent deal on this Ozymandias page by Jae Lee:

If I was going back on Sunday, probably would have picked up a couple more commissions, but oh well.

• Locked thread