Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Nice haul, especially the Risso!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Starting to look out for NYCC pre-commissions, but I picked up a couple things over that last two months:

From Amy Reeder:

From Warren Louw:

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

I have one of those Itoya portfolios actually, now that you mention it. I didn't even think of that.

Itoya portfolio is a good choice, just make sure it's big enough for what you plan to buy. I personally just use two pieces of cardboard taped together that someone used to mail me some art. It's light, and big enough for a variety of art and prints sizes. I also bring a couple Mylar bags in case I get pencil art. It's nice to have to reduce the chance of smudging damaging other stuff I buy. Not an issue if you use a portfolio.

Definetly look for a bag if you can find one. I used to use a large swag bag that was given out at a con. Handle was long enough to loop over my shoulder with my art folder in it. It was nice, and you could put other purchases in it too. The bottom just gave out on it, so I found a large backpack, and I'm going to see how that works this year.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Another year, another NYCC! Managed to get Saturday tickets this year, so I made it to the charity auction after missing it this year.

Stephanie Han - Lady Thor. I had a dark phoenix from her from a few years ago, but thought it was time for another pieces. This piece is pretty amazing.

Noolian - Rogue and Gambit. I loved how different his style is. It really stands out.

Eric Donovan - Hawkeye

Dustin Nguyen -Demona and Batman Rogues. Figured I may as well keep adding to my ever growing collection of Dustin Nguyen pieces.

Janet K Lee - Dark Phoenix - Awesome piece from the charity auction. Got into a mini-bidding war with someone, but I loved this piece.

Penelope Peng-Peng Gaylord - Storm - Another auction piece.

Mr. Freeze's - Nathan Fox was in my Mr. Freeze sketch book, but I had commissioned Tony Daniel ahead of the con, so it's loose. I need to see if I can find a way to attach it to the book securely.
Tony Daniels

Nathan Fox

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Yeah, I got real lucky this year with the quality if what I got.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Most go into Itoya portfolios. I get a couple of piece framed every year at a local place that usually gives me a good deal . I hang them up around my house. I had run out of wall space in my old house, so I used to cycle them, but I moved last year, so I have plenty of space to display now.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

No one standing out to me from that list. Not nessesarily a bad thing, looks like some good artists there.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Ha, yeah. I bought a 11x17 frame from Michael's, thinking I could swap out pages in to rotate the art I had up. Turns out one company's (Marvel or DC - I forget which) pages are a little wider, and the other's are a little longer, so nothing fit. Ended up getting one of those see through frames that was the next size up so there would be a little leeway in the sizing.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Just picked up the cover to Mystic U #1 by Julian Tedesco through his art dealer. Was trying to snag a Hawkeye cover for a while, but kept missing them.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I've just kept mine in Iotyola portfolios, and they seem alright. I don't take them in and out that often.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Man. That Mystik U cover was definitely one of the best of last year. Congrats.

What's funny is I haven't even read the comic. It's been on my pile for a while, just haven't gotten around to it. Cover is just that awesome.

The artist sent a print of the colored version with it. Thinking of framing it with the print and comic, but I'd have to figure put where to out it first.

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 1, 2018

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Keep forgetting to post this, but if anyone wants to snag some Jim Lee art, he does a twitch stream on some Sunday's. My understanding is its usually 3 pieces. He raffles one off amount everyone in his channel, one raffles to people that pay his sub fee, and one is a silent auction.

Probably your best bet at getting something cool from him without dropping a couple grand. I keep meaning to check it out, but I've never used twitch, and always have family stuff going on when I remember.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I tend to follow things on Facebook and Instagram, so not sure if they announce on Twitter, but Essential Sequential is very active at the cons I goto.

If I recall correctly, Cadence comic art and Felix comic art usually have announcement for their artists.

Look at the previous years attendees for the cons you are interested in, and see who usually attends then follow them on whatever social media platform they use. Even if their agent makes arrangements, they will usually announce on their own feeds.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

If you're interestd in Ms. Marvel pages, follow "takeshi miyazawa art n stuff" on facebook. Pages are supposed to go up Monday or Tuesday. No idea on the price range.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I love Amy's art. Is that Jasmine as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Not sure if he does at home commissions, but Creeesart (Creees HyunSung Lee) on Instagram does some amazing work. A full figure was $200 at East Coast Comic Con this weekend, I think busts were $100. I got the Iron Fist he just posted. I've run into him at two cons, and he's a nice guy that's been trying to break in.

I'm trying to hit up smaller cons, and went to East Coast ComicCon this weekend. My laptop just died, so I haven't been able to post yet, but I got some great stuff at an amazing value compared to the NYCC prices.

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Apr 30, 2018

• Locked thread