Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
I was advised to cross post this here.

This is my "convention box" that I've been dragging around for the past 12 years. I've been in and out of comics since I became a parent and lost a lot of free time - but I recently hit a convention and Greg Smallwood suggested I photograph and share my box, so here's an imgur album if anyone cares.

http://imgur.com/a/Xmyzu

There are a couple of cool stories to go along with the box. I always get comments about how it's pretty unique, I don't know though, I can't be the first guy to have a box with art on it. It started out as a way to shuttle books to and from shows for autographs and buying/selling. Bill Willingham was the first one to draw on it at Planet Comicon in Kansas City in 2003. The story is I walk up, we chat for a while, he offers to do a sketch, but was out of sketch cards, grabs my box and goes to town. Most of the art on here has been free + tip. I always offer to pay, and sometimes get quoted a price, only for them to say nevermind. I don't want to name names on the "free art" as I know they might not appreciate it...

I will, however, say that Tim Sale did draw on it for free, and it was the coolest thing ever. In 2012 I went to Planet Comicon in Kansas City. I normally just buy books and stuff, sometimes get autographs, and when I run into an artist I love, I try to commission some art. But this time I actively sought out Tim's booth hoping to get a commission. I'm an idiot, though, and didn't realize that you have to show up in the first hour on the first day to get on a list for a guy like Tim. I approached his agent and asked if I could get some art. She said pretty firmly that he was booked up through at least Sunday morning (the next day) - I said bummer, I won't be here tomorrow. Tim looks over and says "Wait, were you going to ask me to draw on the box?" I thought he was about to shame me (as another artist who will remain nameless once did) - and I said yes. He says "Let me see that." He turned it over in his hands for a minute, setting aside the commission he was working on. He says "What did you want me to draw?" I was still anxious, but I said Jim Gordon, and he went to work, the rest of the line became a little perturbed, and in the end, I said "How much do I owe you?" and before his agent lady could give me a price, he waved me off "Just take it, no worries." or something to that effect. I left him a tip and said thank you, even his agent was in shock (apparently Tim never lets anything leave his booth for free). It's still, to this day, my favorite "box" story.

I don't get to conventions very often anymore, but I hope to fill out all the blank areas before I die. Since I stopped reading heavily in the mid 2000s, and only get to read top titles these days, most of the artists I really want to seek out either don't do conventions near me, or are way too popular and expensive for me to afford a commission from anymore. But it's still a neat artifact of the hobby for me, and now that my daughter is reading books, maybe she'll use it one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Now that I've had the opportunity to read through the thread in its entirety, I have these to post as well, click for big, link for huge http://i.imgur.com/fTDRqGj.jpg

2 Hester Green Arrow pages from #20 and #22 respectively. The "Cheeseburger" gag was a memorable panel for me, finding it at Hester's table a few years back was a real victory. I've always been a huge fan of Hester's style, and being able to own pages really changed how I felt about the medium. Once you have an original piece that was used to produce a comic that you love, it really changes your perspective on original art and its inherent value... At least it did for me.

They're not very well framed, but someday I intend to properly frame them. I really haven't started a collection in earnest as most of my sketches go onto the box. I would like to get more original pages, though, as I really enjoy them. But I'm picky and have expensive tastes and no money...

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

ruddiger posted:

Haha, the drawing on the bottom of the box is the dopest. Now empty it out and and start getting them to draw on the inside.

Once I've filled up the exterior, I think that's ultimately the plan.

I've got a list of artists ready to go for Planet Comicon in KC - along with some money - but it's a busy weekend for me, so I may not even make the show.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

I'm bringing my Con Box to Emerald City Comic Con this weekend.

This is my first big convention outside of the Midwest, what are the odds I'm able to walk up and get a sketch on my box from someone like Humberto Ramos?

I'm assuming close to zero, right?

Tuxedo Jack fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 2, 2017

• Locked thread