Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Scored a pretty excellent Red Sonja by the late Dave Hoover on eBay for a song:

The eBay listing had it listed as an "art print", but after actually receiving it in the mail I'm preeeeety confident it's actual original artwork and the seller just didn't know what he had.

Either way it looks fantastic in person and it'll go great with the She-Hulk and Witchblade artwork I'd commissioned from Dave when he was still alive. He was a real class act and it's a shame that he's passed away.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jan 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

You'd be hard-pressed to get Dave Hoover to do another Witchblade since he's no longer with us, but you can see all of my commissioned art at http://xenomrph.deviantart.com

I've got a ton of Witchblade, She-Hulk, and Red Sonja commissions there, and I've actually got a whole portfolio of original (but non-commissioned) art I haven't gotten around to posting there yet. I also have some commissions I've gotten from a few cons that I need to scan and post from lesser-known artists I met at the cons, but like an idiot I've forgotten some of their names. I'd love to share their work in my deviantart gallery, but I'd feel like a colossal rear end in a top hat if I couldn't give the artists proper credit. :saddowns:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

gninjagnome posted:

Thanks! Yeah - I didn't mean getting one from him in particular, more of a general thing for me to do in the future. I'm a bit concerned about getting someone at a con to do it, as the costume could be a bit involved, and I'd rather they didn't rush it.
Most convention artists are willing to take payment for the commission at the con, and if they don't think they can finish it at the con they'll take down your address and mail it to you when it's done. I've done that with numerous artists/conventions now. I mean sure you don't get the instant-gratification of getting a commissioned piece in your hands right away, but personally I'm more than happy to wait, let the artist take their time, and make something great.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Does she have a website or anything, I'd certainly like to commission her.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Awesome, thanks! I only go to a couple cons a year, I'll see what I can work out.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

That Batgirl rules, how much did it set you back?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Goddamn, $1200? I wish I had that kind of money to spend on original art. :sigh:

That Black Widow is righteous too, dare I ask how much that was? :ohdear:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I bought some original art on ebay and the seller shipped it rolled up in one of those poster tube things, any tips for flattening it so I can put it in my art portfolio binder without terminally loving it up? The artwork is on pretty heavy art paper (I don't know the technical name for it).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I got a Mara Jade sketch card by Patricio Carrasco, I think it's pretty cool!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

RevKrule posted:

Closing in on some majors here and definitely deep in season (already had C2E2 and Wondercon), anyone have anything new?

I won't have anything until late next month but with Denver Comic Con and SDCC back to back (almost literally), it's gonna tap me out pretty bad. And it really sucks because I just moved to LA and there's like 3 or 4 other worthwhile shows in the SoCal area for the rest of the year.

Also I have now waited 2.5 years for one commission. What the best way to be like "hey, uhhh, can I see any kind of progress on this?" without sounding like a cock.
Say to the artist that it's been 2.5 years and you're just wondering what the status of the commission is. Was a long waiting period discussed when you initially paid for the commission? I try to get the artist to commit to some kind of realistic turnaround time before I agree to pay them (or try to negotiate a "down payment now, the rest upon completion" thing, although that's less common for me), and if things start straying significantly past the turnaround time, I'll start making phone calls or sending messages. Like, I get it, life happens - I can totally be way more understanding if I'm in the loop.
I'd say after waiting more than two years without any update on the commission, you're not the cock, they are.

I once waited like 4 years on a commission, all the while the artist was posting up new sketch covers on eBay on a nearly-daily basis (and making bank on them). I learned that I was one of dozens of people who had paid this guy for commissions and then were left twisting in the breeze for years, so a bunch of us bombarded him on social media until he gave us refunds.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

RevKrule posted:

Moved to SoCal recently and found out I'm a couple miles away from a bunch of comic/pop culture art galleries, including Nucleus who was doing a Babs Tarr/Motorcrush signing and art show yesterday. Now I'm poorer but will be able to take home this Jen Bartel beauty in a couple weeks when the show is over.

Got Denver Comic Con and San Diego coming up but both of them have few artists I want to see so sadly I may not have much this summer. But because of where I've moved it's opened up Long Beach and Stan Lee Comic Con so maybe I'll just be poorer, faster.

How much did that set you back, if you don't mind my asking?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Have you guys ever bought any prints from Sideshow? I got one and it came in the mail rolled up in a tube mailer, if I'm looking to get it framed should I leave it rolled up and let the framing people handle it, or am I expected to flatten it out myself?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Aphrodite posted:

I have a few from them but I get the framed ones because I'm lazy and also really lazy.

That said, bring it to them rolled.

I contemplated buying the framed ones, but $250 framed vs $90 unframed made me think I could save some money getting them framed myself. Then again I don't know how much frames cost or what places offer the best deals for framing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I've got a ton of original art as well that I might want to get framed someday, but I have so much that I couldn't frame all of it but I'd also be interested in having a sort of "rotating display". Is that a viable option? Like, frames where it's reasonably easy to change out the artwork inside?

The vast majority of the artwork I've got are pretty standard sizes - 11x17, 11x14, 9x12, stuff like that.

• Locked thread