Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm going to Fanexpo this weekend, and this year I'm mostly looking at getting some art stuff. I got on a commission list, prints etc.

What should I bring to carry that kind of stuff around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I have one of those Itoya portfolios actually, now that you mention it. I didn't even think of that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I got a giant bag at this same con last year.

I can't find it now, but they were like $3 so I'll just buy another.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Stephanie Hans is doing sketches at a store here on Saturday, but my idiot brother's graduation is that day.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's going to depend a lot on if you consider superhero spandex sexualized I guess.

I wouldn't, because it's not like they only do those for women. There are obviously artists who draw those kinds of costumes super sexualized, but it's not a built in thing with the type of costume necessarily.

Some are right from concept though, like Spider-Woman's design specifically framing her chest and crotch.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Those all look like indie or self publishing/web artists.

It was in September, but Thought Bubble Festival looks like it had a really good artist guest list. It’s in Leeds though, I think that’s a few hours from London?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Man I'm going to end up having like 4 of these Itoya books because of inconsistent sizes.

I have 3 different sizes of "11x17".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

gninjagnome posted:

Ha, yeah. I bought a 11x17 frame from Michael's, thinking I could swap out pages in to rotate the art I had up. Turns out one company's (Marvel or DC - I forget which) pages are a little wider, and the other's are a little longer, so nothing fit. Ended up getting one of those see through frames that was the next size up so there would be a little leeway in the sizing.

I have a Marvel page that's 11 1/4 x 17, and a DC page that's actually 11x17. Both are from recent, within the last year comics.

I also have a drawing that was listed as 11x17 but is more like 11 4/5 x 17.

At least it'll all fit in a 12x18. An inch at the top is less of an issue than space on the sides to shift around I would think.

Edit: Except they don't make them in 12x18.

I also have a 9 x 12 because some art is done in that size, and an 8 1/2 x 11 mostly I bought it by accident instead of 9 x 12.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 20, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I have a few from them but I get the framed ones because I'm lazy and also really lazy.

That said, bring it to them rolled.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You'll probably save some but not as much as you'd think. Framing's expensive.

Luckily Sideshow prints aren't oversized or else RIP.

It depends on what kind of stores you have available. A big chain like Michael's would be anywhere from like $200-400. They do regularly have 50% off framing coupons and they're out often enough you should never, ever get something framed at Michael's without a coupon. But it's basically a scam, double the framing price so people think the coupon is a deal, catch a few who don't use coupons for bonus money. Also generally what Michaels will do is quote you using museum quality glass and archival materials, which you don't need for a print. That's what you want for original art, but not a print.

Try to find a local independent place or something. Even if you end up paying roughly the same you'll get a hell of a lot better frame than Sideshow uses. Their frames aren't worth the $160 price themselves, it's the convenience factor for me.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 7, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Some places make top loading frames, though usually only in like 11x17 since that's the standard original art size.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

RevKrule posted:

That's some great pencil work.

Speaking of pencils, what's the best way to keep non-ink'd pieces? I'm always a little fearful about how I'm storing them that they'll end up just smudged blobs.

Mylar bags or portfolios like Itoyas are supposed to not smudge pencils.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So now that conventions are getting started, what are some good artist agent Twitter accounts to follow? Those usually seem to be where appearances and pre-commissions and everything get announced.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I got one in. Thanks for the heads up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Anyone who’s done covers for one of the big two could easily ask double that for just a B&W 9x12, yeah.

• Locked thread