Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

the black husserl posted:

I find it really tiresome that both 'factions' are such laughable cliches.

Well, you see, it's a metaphor for American politics, and uh, you know, I like South Park a lot, they're really the great social commentators of our times, and you see, the... the truth is in uh... the truth is in the middle, y'know?

I think half the problem is marketing and making it appeal to as wide a playerbase as possible, hence the caricatures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
They're afraid of making the game too smart because smart stuff turns off dumb people and dumb people buy video games!

Or something. That also explains Elizabeth's magical expanding bust.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

You are in a world where the US built a giant sky-city to go around sneering at other nations and where a giant fish-eagle in leather is the guardian of a time-altering teenager and the factions being on the nose surprises you? It's a game about big stupid points that are worth thinking about because these views did exist in a very, very massive way and still exist today in many respects. But it's also worth keeping in mind that the factions exist to facilitate you freezing them in mid-air with your psychic drug-powers and then blowing their brains out with a Jazz Age shotgun. If they were reasonable people they probably wouldn't do this.

Also why did you quote factions? Are you not convinced they are factions?

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Overflight posted:

I'm afraid the OP is wrong in this regard.

Ah, so Vigors are basically like guns with their magazines fused shut and you can toss away old ones if you find something you feel works better for you? That sounds far better than what I feared it was like.

Samurai Sanders posted:

But like I said, if it's anything like Bioshock 1 and 2, you won't really need those powers, the game will be perfectly fine without them, and furthermore not using them will get you an even bigger gameplay reward just maybe an hour later, so it's doubly pointless. Therefore, the only reason you would do that is if you are deliberately trying to make bad choices.

Hopefully you will be allowed to use her powers at least some because some of the things she could do in the trailer looked fun. It could work that using her powers puts them in cooldown and if you force her to use them early, she takes damage based on remaining cooldown. Or that she takes damage only in storybased decision points. Who knows.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Really, how many characters besides Booker and Elizabeth have we seen so far? Complaining about the NPC factions in this game so far sounds like complaining about the background extras in a Hollywood film. They aren't meant to be characters, they're part of the setting.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.

It certainly seems unlikely that we'll get as good a look at these organizations to the degree that we got to see Ryan's objectivism and Lamb's cult of personality in the first two. This looks like it will boil down to "racism = bad" and "communism = also bad" without giving any depth.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Puistokemisti posted:

Hopefully you will be allowed to use her powers at least some because some of the things she could do in the trailer looked fun. It could work that using her powers puts them in cooldown and if you force her to use them early, she takes damage based on remaining cooldown. Or that she takes damage only in storybased decision points. Who knows.

She does have a cool down on her powers. You can see this in action in the 15 minute gameplay trailer when Booker tries to call in a turret to take down the zeppelin.

MoreLikeTen posted:

It certainly seems unlikely that we'll get as good a look at these organizations to the degree that we got to see Ryan's objectivism and Lamb's cult of personality in the first two. This looks like it will boil down to "racism = bad" and "communism = also bad" without giving any depth.

What are you basing this on?

We've already been shown the leaders of the factions, they have faces and names and they talk to the player through the environment.

What makes you think they won't play a bigger part in the story? Especially considering Bioshock 1?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
I'm gonna play this and enjoy the poo poo out of it and not think about it too hard because it's an extremely video game-y video game.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Nilbop posted:

You are in a world where the US built a giant sky-city to go around sneering at other nations and where a giant fish-eagle in leather is the guardian of a time-altering teenager and the factions being on the nose surprises you? It's a game about big stupid points that are worth thinking about because these views did exist in a very, very massive way and still exist today in many respects. But it's also worth keeping in mind that the factions exist to facilitate you freezing them in mid-air with your psychic drug-powers and then blowing their brains out with a Jazz Age shotgun. If they were reasonable people they probably wouldn't do this.

Also why did you quote factions? Are you not convinced they are factions?

You're right. Maybe I should just turn my brain off and enjoy it. Thats the problem with gamers these days. Too many on brains.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

You're right. Maybe I should just turn my brain off and enjoy it. Thats the problem with gamers these days. Too many on brains.

Why do you think the game's going to be black and white from an ethical standpoint? Bioshock 1 wasn't.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Uhh, the nature of Satire is generally one of extreme exaggeration. Even 1984 is guilty of this.

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Why do you think the game's going to be black and white from an ethical standpoint? Bioshock 1 wasn't.

I liked Bioshock 1 and dude are you seriously gonna say this.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Bioshock 1 worked because Objectivism itself is almost beyond parody with how ridiculous it and its followers are, but Infinite looks like "hurr cartoonish racism" vs. "hurr a 14 year-old's understanding of anarchy"

Which is kind of ironic considering that Bioshock's only non-white character was the mad puppy-killing doctor.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

computer parts posted:

Uhh, the nature of Satire is generally one of extreme exaggeration. Even 1984 is guilty of this.

Please don't drag Mr. Orwell into this.

What shop do you guys think you'll be pre-ordering from? I've always been a Gamestop man, but I've been in an Amazon.com mood this year.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Somehow I doubt this. Brains on, minds closed, perhaps.

ZackHoagie posted:

There's a lot of morally grey areas in Bioshock 1 - or perhaps to say there's a mix of the reprehensible along with the potentially or academically defensible. For one example, Ryan's objectivism isn't that bad when you think about the starting point of merit for one's honest work and talent; it gets corrupted when self-interest dominates a society of many parts.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

ZackHoagie posted:

Sure, why not? It didn't ever say objectivism was bad or objectivism was good, it said that when you throw human beings into any rigid ideological system it breaks down.

I personally strongly disagree with objectivism, but I never got the feeling that Bioshock 1 was preaching one way or the other, rather that people on the whole are flawed.

Ryan, in his pursuit of the perfect system became as much of a tyrant as those he built Rapture to escape.

The system wasn't the issue, it was Ryan's belief that he and he alone was capable of controlling it.

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods
I don't get why political unrest is such a staple for Bioshock. It was a good backdrop for Rapture, but it seems really phoned in at this point. Especially since the series highlight is supposed to be good writing and interesting moral choices.

And now the series is literally on rails. No thanks, I'll pass.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
So during the game, you're the one who controls whether she uses her powers or not? It's not like in that scene before when she says "I'm not asking for your permission"?

What I wouldn't give for more games where the things characters do in cutscenes lined up with what they did during gameplay.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Ryan, in his pursuit of the perfect system became as much of a tyrant as those he built Rapture to escape.

Do you even realize how unbelievably shallow and stupid this is. It's saturday morning cartoons.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

Brother Scrotum posted:

I don't get why political unrest is such a staple for Bioshock.

I don't see why a video game series shouldn't be doing more of this sort of thing with a triple A budget.

I welcome it. Sure from the outside the factions might seem exaggerated and cartoonish, but when you're trying to sell people on ideas through a video game where you're shooting people in war paint and fighting mecha Washington I don't think subtlety is the way to go.

Infinite seems tonally suitable in it's presentation of concepts.

Brother Scrotum posted:

And now the series is literally on rails. No thanks, I'll pass.

Again, what is this based on? An E3 'vertical slice' demo from 2011?

Do you even realize how unbelievably shallow and stupid this is. It's saturday morning cartoons.

Yeah it's cartoonish, no question, but i'd rather have a game attempt to explore bigger concepts in a populist manor than than not even try.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Holy poo poo you should write a book or something.

Maybe climb down off the ole' horse now.

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.
I mean, there's every good reason that this game should suck/rule, but if you're still riding 2007 era vibes or backlash then get the gently caress over yourself.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Samurai Sanders posted:

So during the game, you're the one who controls whether she uses her powers or not? It's not like in that scene before when she says "I'm not asking for your permission"?

What I wouldn't give for more games where the things characters do in cutscenes lined up with what they did during gameplay.

It could be just that you as a player are controlling where she uses them instead of you as a character, because if the two are supposed to have great teamwork, even if they just met, that can be hard to actually code AI for so that the player doesn't get pissed off because she decided to use power for something the AI thought you wanted but actually wasn't and now it's cooldown.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

ZackHoagie posted:

I mean, there's every good reason that this game should suck/rule, but if you're still riding 2007 era vibes or backlash then get the gently caress over yourself.

Who's this addressed to?

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.

Who's this addressed to?

You, me, this whole loving court's out of order!

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

ZackHoagie posted:

You, me, this whole loving court's out of order!

Attica! Attica! Attica!

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

I don't see why a video game series shouldn't be doing more of this sort of thing with a triple A budget.

Seriously, political strife is an awesome setting for games. It's a lot less common than the rebels vs. Galactic Empire/oppressive regime environment we're so used to. It's part of what interests me about Assassin's Creed III as well. Two games coming up where we get to possibly kill dozens to hundreds of crazy-rear end "patriotic" Americans who actually play villainous roles? Talk about a paradigm shift in modern games.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Puistokemisti posted:

It could be just that you as a player are controlling where she uses them instead of you as a character, because if the two are supposed to have great teamwork, even if they just met, that can be hard to actually code AI for so that the player doesn't get pissed off because she decided to use power for something the AI thought you wanted but actually wasn't and now it's cooldown.
Well, it wouldn't bother me so much if (correct me if I'm wrong here) "making" her use her powers or not is presented as a moral choice in the game. Like, she can't make decisions on her own and it's your fault if she kills herself by over-using her powers.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

Jetfire posted:

Seriously, political strife is an awesome setting for games. It's a lot less common than the rebels vs. Galactic Empire/oppressive regime environment we're so used to. It's part of what interests me about Assassin's Creed III as well. Two games coming up where we get to possibly kill dozens to hundreds of crazy-rear end "patriotic" Americans who actually play villainous roles? Talk about a paradigm shift in modern games.

It's the route I kinda wish CoD has explored more but Activism seems more interested in getting a war criminal to sell their product.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, it wouldn't bother me so much if (correct me if I'm wrong here) "making" her use her powers or not is presented as a moral choice in the game. Like, she can't make decisions on her own and it's your fault if she kills herself by over-using her powers.

We don't know the implications (if any) of over-using her powers yet, so there's no way to judge it. It could be subtle, endgame-changing or completely superfluous.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Yeah it's cartoonish, no question, but i'd rather have a game attempt to explore bigger concepts in a populist manor than than not even try.

Why are the only options "cartoonish caricature" and "not even try"?

Are you just directly saying that gamers only want to explore concepts in a shallow way?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I clicked the first link in the OP and literally burst out laughing. You get a picture of a face with hilariously exaggerated goo goo disney/anime eyes, and the face of a 12 year old, then the camera pans down and the 12 year old has gigantic knockers and one of the most ridiculous open-front dresses I've ever seen.

What horrible, pandering design. I'm going to assume that the rest of the game follows in that style. No thanks! Especially not after Bioshock 2 pulled that GFWL crap.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

What Jetfire said and there's also that we don't know for sure that using her powers in fight is what harms here, it could be that it's resurrecting horses that does it. Or that there's mechanics to heal her somehow. We just don't know, I hope that whatever it is, we can use her powers in fights.

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.

Listen, first you get the extremes then you get the meat.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Taffer posted:

I clicked the first link in the OP and literally burst out laughing. You get a picture of a face with hilariously exaggerated goo goo disney/anime eyes, and the face of a 12 year old, then the camera pans down and the 12 year old has gigantic knockers and one of the most ridiculous open-front dresses I've ever seen.

What horrible, pandering design. I'm going to assume that the rest of the game follows in that style. No thanks! Especially not after Bioshock 2 pulled that GFWL crap.
Come to think of it, I didn't see any other women in the trailers I saw, so I can't tell if its just her or women in the game in general. Or is she like Princess Leia, the only woman in the whole universe?

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

Are you just directly saying that gamers only want to explore concepts in a shallow way?

It's a populist medium that has to be accessible for a wide audience. It's broad and simple, yes, and I haven't said it isn't, but it ends up being easier pill to swallow and avoids being preachy.

If 20% of people who play the game then go on to be more interested in political ideology and investigate their depths further then surely that's a good thing no?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Come to think of it, I didn't see any other women in the trailers I saw, so I can't tell if its just her or women in the game in general. Or is she like Princess Leia, the only woman in the whole universe?

The leader of the Vox is female.

Also take into consideration that Elizabeth has been kept, raised and preened to be the 'Song Bird' of Columbia. She's supposed to be the embodiment of the ideology of the cities founders. White, clean, in her place, American. Hence this threads Misogyny tag.

Monster w21 Faces fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 21, 2012

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

It's a populist medium that has to be accessible for a wide audience. It's broad and simple, yes, and I haven't said it isn't, but it ends up being easier pill to swallow and avoids being preachy.

If 20% of people who play the game then go on to be more interested in political ideology and investigate their depths further then surely that's a good thing no?

We've also just seen trailers and gameplay-centric demos. We don't know much about the small NPC instances or heard any of the audio logs from the ancillary characters yet.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

Jetfire posted:

We've also just seen trailers and gameplay-centric demos. We don't know much about the small NPC instances or heard any of the audio logs from the ancillary characters yet.

Exactly.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Also take into consideration that Elizabeth has been kept, raised and preened to be the 'Song Bird' of Columbia. She's supposed to be the embodiment of the ideology of the cities founders. White, clean, in her place, American. Hence this threads Misogyny tag.
Ah, that makes sense then I guess. I wonder if she'll change over the course of the game? Maybe get some more sensible clothes for running around and fighting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

Samurai Sanders posted:

Ah, that makes sense then I guess. I wonder if she'll change over the course of the game? Maybe get some more sensible clothes for running around and fighting?

In the Beast of America trailer which came out today (and is therefore a newer build of the game) she's wearing a much more conservative dress when her and Booker are falling through the sky.

• Locked thread