Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I don't have another pet to find out. Hannah does however, prefer food that comes right off my plate. I can make him a little dish with what we're having. He'll just toss everything but if I give him something off my plate, which is the same freakin thing I just gave him, he'll eat the hell out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Frogmanv2 posted:

Would using cheese for clicker training treats be too much?

Probably not if you use really small individual pieces and not too much overall, or just let him have one bite/nibble each time.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Joe Don Baker posted:

I don't have another pet to find out. Hannah does however, prefer food that comes right off my plate. I can make him a little dish with what we're having. He'll just toss everything but if I give him something off my plate, which is the same freakin thing I just gave him, he'll eat the hell out of it.

Greys.txt

Seriously, Pookie is exactly the same; stolen food is the best food.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Battle Pigeon posted:

Probably not if you use really small individual pieces and not too much overall, or just let him have one bite/nibble each time.

Yep, we use string cheese for Ritz when it's clicker time. Just a shred, split into about 3mm long pieces. He gets a tiny nibble whenever he does something good.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
My Alexandrine is making weird noises. She is still eating, drinking etc normally and her poo looks a little runny but otherwise ok. She extends her neck out and opens her beak and makes a odd sound, it's hard to describe. It sounds a little like someone trying to blow their nose or clear their throat. This has been going on a few days now. She's also moulting at the moment so she looks scruffier than normal. Her behaviour seems normal otherwise. Should I be taking her to a vet? I can't seem to find any info online as to what this noise might be and I can't see any discharge from her nose/mouth either.

I made a video where you can hear the noise: http://youtu.be/Iv_sqvf0jo4

bee fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Nov 6, 2012

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

bee posted:

My Alexandrine is making weird noises. She is still eating, drinking etc normally and her poo looks a little runny but otherwise ok. She extends her neck out and opens her beak and makes a odd sound, it's hard to describe. It sounds a little like someone trying to blow their nose or clear their throat. This has been going on a few days now. She's also moulting at the moment so she looks scruffier than normal. Her behaviour seems normal otherwise. Should I be taking her to a vet? I can't seem to find any info online as to what this noise might be and I can't see any discharge from her nose/mouth either.

I made a video where you can hear the noise: http://youtu.be/Iv_sqvf0jo4

It could just be a noise, or an attempt at imitating speech/a noise. Whenever Ritz tries to shove his beak up my nose to get at my septum piercing I blow out of my nose, which kind of makes a noise.. like someone exhaling out of their nose with a little umph. Now he makes that noise when he's preening something other than himself. If he's preening our fingers, he'll make the noise. At first I thought it was weird, but then we kinda put two and two together and realized he was just doing what mom and dad do.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

Oh my god there's an adorable hawk head parrot at a pet shop nearby! Must resist bringing him home... :ohdear:

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Deadly Chlorine posted:

Oh my god there's an adorable hawk head parrot at a pet shop nearby! Must resist bringing him home... :ohdear:

SEND HIM TO ME!

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Ohtori is so drat squeaky and adorable some days it hurts. How am I supposed to take your rage seriously bird, when you sound like that? :3:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

SaNChEzZ posted:

It could just be a noise, or an attempt at imitating speech/a noise. Whenever Ritz tries to shove his beak up my nose to get at my septum piercing I blow out of my nose, which kind of makes a noise.. like someone exhaling out of their nose with a little umph. Now he makes that noise when he's preening something other than himself. If he's preening our fingers, he'll make the noise. At first I thought it was weird, but then we kinda put two and two together and realized he was just doing what mom and dad do.
My sister's conure does something like that. She calls it "fart mouth" :3:

fft fft fft

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
"No."

Wizard of Smart posted:

SEND HIM TO ME!
NO I WOULD KEEP HIM FOR MYSELF

Seriously I'm sorely tempted to get that little guy, but I think I don't have time to care for another bird and the shop is also selling him for 1.5k. Not that expensive for a hawk head parrot but I better wait until I have a stable job and everything first.

Birds why must you be so adorable and irresistible :smith:

^^^My conure does this weird farty pfft squeaky noise that is hard to describe as well. Conures are weird. :3: Also YES angry conures are so squeaky and it would be hilarious if they weren't trying to tear off your skin at the same time. :saddowns:

Deadly Chlorine fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Nov 6, 2012

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I don't know if it's the same thing as the above, but Ohtori makes these breathy hisses while hitting something with his beak repeatedly when he's pissed.

I like to pick him up quickly from the shower door (before he has a chance to run away) and put him on my shoulder while in the shower, though not in the stream, when he's shown no interest in bathing right then or even anger at the suggestion. He gets furious and the squeaky scolding can't come out fast enough :3:

Then he bites my ear while telling me about all the terrible things he'll do to me for what I've done until I put him back up on the shower door, where he'll sit and bitch to himself for a while.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Clicker training is off to a great start with Zippy. She picked up that click = YAY very quickly yesterday evening and it only took about 5-10 minutes to get her to do the Touch Target command with a chopstick.

I tested her again this morning and she performed Touch Target immediately.

We've already developed a routine of scritches before bed + scritches while waking up. She really likes both of us and has started making sounds we hadn't heard before. When she's super happy and we're out of sight (so, after we've been singing and dancing with her, and then go make dinner) she makes a sound that sounds exactly like a kid being tickled into fits. Loud giggling and then a scream. It's hilarious, and is the loudest she can get--and it's still not all that loud. Most of her communication is murmuring, little chirpy sounds, or talking-volume "Hi! ha ha ha!"

We've started to learn what some of her various chirping sounds mean--there's a pretty specific one that can be either "I want to go eat" or if she makes that same one while she's in her cage with food it's "I want to explore/see what someone is doing in the other room." Once she's doing one of those activities she turns into a happy potato, quiet and puffed up. :3: There's another quieter one that she will just do once or twice when she's especially pleased with us and then puff up into a happy Amazon potato, it seems to be her "I'm with my flock and content" sound.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 6, 2012

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Deadly Chlorine posted:

I demand that if anyone here purchases this bird we must compare fluffed crests.

Ivan demands it as well. Or he may be begging for food. Hard to tell.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Last night I passed out in bed before I secured a certain conure in his cage, it seems. As a result I woke up to something small and fluffy nestled against my bare calf, which was awfully startling, and so to apologize to Amadeus for yelping and shooting up from the bed I returned to him his bathing bowl. That got taken away a few days ago because somebody hurls his favorite jingly-balls into it whenever he's upset at being caged, and I was beginning to be worried about rust in the water while I was at work.

He was so excited to have it back that he bathed while Rosy drank from it next to him and didn't growl or lunge at her once. :3:

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Awesome new thread, unfortunately I haven't had time to keep up on my reading of any of my favourite threads due to work, but I just had to drop in to say hi and post these pictures of Peep being awesomely lovey.

These were just the pictures I could get. She was also rubbing her head on my neck, then furiously nibbling my neck anytime I had the temerity to move. She was also trying to preen the hairs on my mousehand earlier.

Strange, adorable bird!

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

We decided to remove Ohtori's hut, and he's quite unhappy about it. There were no frays or loose threads or anything, but then we haven't ever seen him chew on it, just bite and hold while he's doing his thing. We removed it mostly to see if it cuts down his bitey behaviours, and makes him less aggressive towards Steve.

How long does Pyhurra puberty last again?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Battle Pigeon posted:

We decided to remove Ohtori's hut, and he's quite unhappy about it. There were no frays or loose threads or anything, but then we haven't ever seen him chew on it, just bite and hold while he's doing his thing. We removed it mostly to see if it cuts down his bitey behaviours, and makes him less aggressive towards Steve.

How long does Pyhurra puberty last again?

Lemme know how that goes, because Ritz is mighty bitey, maybe that will help.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Trauma Tank posted:

Awesome new thread, unfortunately I haven't had time to keep up on my reading of any of my favourite threads due to work, but I just had to drop in to say hi and post these pictures of Peep being awesomely lovey.

These were just the pictures I could get. She was also rubbing her head on my neck, then furiously nibbling my neck anytime I had the temerity to move. She was also trying to preen the hairs on my mousehand earlier.

Strange, adorable bird!

Woohoo! Made my evening :)

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

marshmallard posted:

Woohoo! Made my evening :)

I know my Peep love is about .00001% of yours but I still get a massive boost out of seeing happy Peep, she's such sweetpea :3:.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

It's hours past midnight, Ohtori was covered long ago, but he's still climbing around the bars of his cage squeaking and bitching. I don't know if it's because we didn't take him to shower today, or because he has no hut to sleep in now, or both.

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010
Oh man, peep looks just like a budgie a friend purchased which I eventually wound up caring for after she got caught up in horses. Takes me back to the good old days of Pippin :3: Budgies for life yo.

Opera Bitch
Sep 28, 2004

Let me lull you to sleep with my sweet song!

Battle Pigeon posted:

It's hours past midnight, Ohtori was covered long ago, but he's still climbing around the bars of his cage squeaking and bitching. I don't know if it's because we didn't take him to shower today, or because he has no hut to sleep in now, or both.

Probably because of having no hut. He might not know how to sleep on a perch because feet placement is different in something witha falt bottom versus a rounded perch.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

"No."

UPDATE

My friend bought the hawk head parrot at the store! So yesss I can probably pet him and take lots of pictures every week. So tame too, he's basically cuddling with anyone he can reach. :3:

(Also yes those are cages of toucans at the back)

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010
Dawwww, look at the snuggles :D

What kind of pet shop just has Hawk-heads and toucans kicking around? I was under the impression toucans were hard to care for/expensive due to their highly specific dietary needs.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

"No."

I have no idea, since I personally don't know anyone who owns a toucan, but we live in a tropical country which is basically perfect for toucans I guess. Also the shop sells special pellets and foods for toucans, lorikeets and insectivores etc. Not sure about the nutrition quality of those foods though. :ohdear:

Hawk heads are pretty rarely seen in shops, so when someone posted a picture of this lil' guy in the shop everyone was basically pissing themselves and eventually one of them got it! :3: The more common birds sold here are the usual like lovebirds, canaries, pigeons, conures, cockatiels, macaws and cockatoos.

EDIT: Oh yes, that friend who bought him was the same guy with the Ruppell's parrot. :3:

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Oh man an Ivan cousin! Huzzah! You must provide pictures when you can, and I hope your friend was adequately warned about their tempers.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

"No."

Chaosfeather posted:

Oh man an Ivan cousin! Huzzah! You must provide pictures when you can, and I hope your friend was adequately warned about their tempers.

Yeah, everyone in our group is pretty ok with angry birds, which is why we have so many people with ringnecks and lovebirds. :3:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Ohtori continued to climb and bitch throughout the night, I could still hear him moving around at 4:30am. He used to sleep on a branch, and that same branch is still in his cage, so I don't know if it was due to not remembering how to perch and sleep that way, or just being upset.

Deadly Chlorine posted:

UPDATE

My friend bought the hawk head parrot at the store! So yesss I can probably pet him and take lots of pictures every week. So tame too, he's basically cuddling with anyone he can reach. :3:

Beautiful bird! The store here has toucans too, but I've never seen them so they must be kept downstairs or elsewhere. It's also not as nice as your store, from what I can see.

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010
I fed my bird a ghost chili this morning. Later I let her eat out of my oatmeal bowl (I make it pretty plain) thinking she'd turn her beak up at it, but she wound up liking it.

My oatmeal is really spicy now :(

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Deadly Chlorine posted:

UPDATE

Is that Bird Crazy in San Diego? When I was a traveling rep for a music company with the territory of 'Merica I quickly discovered bird shops to be good cheap fun.

Bird Crazy is the best!

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

"No."

Captain Log posted:

Is that Bird Crazy in San Diego? When I was a traveling rep for a music company with the territory of 'Merica I quickly discovered bird shops to be good cheap fun.

Bird Crazy is the best!
Nah, it's a small shop in Singapore. And yes bird shops are the best, when I went to a friend's one she was boarding a cockatoo that would scream to make smaller birds fly down to the ground and then laugh hysterically with his crest open.

Cockatoos. :3:

Also, amazing cockatiel recovery story! A friend of mine took in an unweaned cockatiel who had gotten a pretty bad crop burn:
http://i.imgur.com/ScMuI.jpg (linked if people don't want to see a crop burned baby cockatiel)

After a few stitches and wearing this adorable thing to protect against infections:

She's finally almost fully recovered today!

Just look at that face, you know she's fine already. :3:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

So, last night I cleaned my birdcages and ran out of paper towels, which normally line the bottom. I thought, "Ok, cockatiel, you get one tight of toilet paper...NO FUNNY BUSINESS!"

I return home from work, type my previous post, go back into living room to re-line cage...

DAMNIT ANOTHER EGG AND A SHREDDED BUNCH OF TOILET PAPER!?

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Deadly Chlorine posted:

Nah, it's a small shop in Singapore. And yes bird shops are the best, when I went to a friend's one she was boarding a cockatoo that would scream to make smaller birds fly down to the ground and then laugh hysterically with his crest open.

Cockatoos. :3:

Also, amazing cockatiel recovery story! A friend of mine took in an unweaned cockatiel who had gotten a pretty bad crop burn:
http://i.imgur.com/ScMuI.jpg (linked if people don't want to see a crop burned baby cockatiel)

After a few stitches and wearing this adorable thing to protect against infections:

Will her chest feathers grow back?

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

"No."

Yeah most probably, you can see small little feather shafts growing out already. Seriously ugh the old guy that bought the chick from her was very adamant that he knew how to handfeed a baby bird so she thought it was fine, then he caused a crop burn and refused to take the bird to the vet so she brought the cockatiel there on her own. Now the cockatiel is with the old guy's niece who is rightfully pissed at him, and already said that she wouldn't let him pull this kind of poo poo again.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

How does a crop burn like that happen? I'm assuming the food was too hot but that looks really bad. I wouldn't have expected it to look like that.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

Agent355 posted:

How does a crop burn like that happen? I'm assuming the food was too hot but that looks really bad. I wouldn't have expected it to look like that.

So hot that it burned through the crop/esophagus and through the skin of the chest, if I'm not completely mistaken.
Oh man that poor little chickie. :gonk:

Carbon Thief fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Nov 8, 2012

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Carbon Thief posted:

So hot that it burned through the crop/esophagus and through the skin of the chest, if I'm not completely mistaken.
Oh man that poor little chickie. :gonk:

Why wouldn't you, you know, test the food on your skin (like you would with baby food) to make sure its not burning hot?

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Do you think that if we only gave Ohtori the hut at night and removed it during the day, it would have any effect? My partner had to work last night until past 4am, including taking phonecalls, and Ohtori was rather distressed sounding that we were there and speaking but he was covered with no hut. We took him out around 3am to try and calm him down, then as he was going inside his hut (it was left on the side) we hung it back in his cage to see if that would help and yup, he went to bed and made no more sounds.

Deadly Chlorine posted:

That poor potato. It's amazing how well she recovered, considering how awful that injury looked and how delicate birds can be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Battle Pigeon posted:

Do you think that if we only gave Ohtori the hut at night and removed it during the day, it would have any effect? My partner had to work last night until past 4am, including taking phonecalls, and Ohtori was rather distressed sounding that we were there and speaking but he was covered with no hut. We took him out around 3am to try and calm him down, then as he was going inside his hut (it was left on the side) we hung it back in his cage to see if that would help and yup, he went to bed and made no more sounds.

That poor potato. It's amazing how well she recovered, considering how awful that injury looked and how delicate birds can be.

If birds are anything like dogs, now you've taught him that if he bitches and moans he'll get his way, especially with the hut.