Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

RoboRodent posted:

I love a hideous naked shrimp baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

The cutest!!

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

Tender little lumplings!!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
The fact that they're still semi translucent still wigs me out but I hope the little things grow up healthy

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Theyre like the bad guys from the dark crystal

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I am so excited for Baby Anime Parrot Posting.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

a really funny thing is that the day the last one hatched and she’d fed them she’s like

and started spending a lot of time out of the box, flying, eating a bunch, going so completely ham on her mineral block that her poop is orange

it was like a switch had flipped, really interesting.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

We finished the 45 days of doxycycline. Chick was doing so well on it. There was still a small hint of something that wasn't being targeted by the antibiotics, but I was hoping with time it would resolve itself (the small hint was shown in the form of her slightly hunched tail still).

We're three days off of the antibiotics and she's slowly reverting to how she was before. I'm seeing the changes happen day by day. She was young and energetic for 6 weeks, and now she's becoming older and more tired. Less vocal, sleeping more. I absolutely hate this position we're in and nothing seems to do the trick. The worst case is Chick has incurable mycoplasmosis, but I can't find any details about it's rates of occurence in budgerigars. Studies mainly talk about poultry in the farming industry. It seems like such a rare thing for her to have, so there's still that small niggling doubt that maybe I've missed something and there's an antibiotic out there that'll properly eradicate whatever this thing is.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i’m sorry to hear that. i’m not saying i have any idea of the right course of treatment but you might consider getting some baytril/enrofloxacin if you haven’t already. it’s a different antibiotic from doxy and is pretty well received by birds. some infections can be held in check by doxy, etc., but not necessarily stamped out. i don’t know if baytril will help but it might be worth a shot.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

mediaphage posted:

i’m sorry to hear that. i’m not saying i have any idea of the right course of treatment but you might consider getting some baytril/enrofloxacin. it’s a different antibiotic from doxy and is pretty well received by birds.

Was part of her treatment cycle that we just did. Started off with doxycycline and enrofloxacin for 14 days, then continued doxy until like day 35, then I gave her Amoxicillin and Clavulanate (doxycycline can negate amoxicillin's effectiveness) for 5 days. She's literally had every antibiotic and nothing has properly cured her, I'm at a loss.

If anyone knows an avian vet who'd be willing to email with me, I'd appreciate that. I'd pay an online consultation fee to them or whatever.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Qubee posted:

Was part of her treatment cycle that we just did. Started off with doxycycline and enrofloxacin for 14 days, then continued doxy until like day 35, then I gave her Amoxicillin and Clavulanate (doxycycline can negate amoxicillin's effectiveness) for 5 days. She's literally had every antibiotic and nothing has properly cured her, I'm at a loss.

If anyone knows an avian vet who'd be willing to email with me, I'd appreciate that. I'd pay an online consultation fee to them or whatever.

christ that’s rough.

i don’t know what he’d be willing to do but i’d send an email out to Shawn Tucker:

https://thamesroadvetclinic.com

dr tucker has really been an incredible resource for us. like i said i dunno what he’s willing to suggest over email but i guess you don’t know unless you try.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Thanks so much. I'll shoot a brief email asking if online consultations are a thing.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

we had our breeder over for supper tonight but it turns out our linnie babies are too high quality stock and thus too large for the breed standard leg bands to fit. so we'll go down to the bird store tomorrow and pick up some new bands, and try again sunday or monday for the first pair.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Benjamin button rear end babies

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mediaphage posted:

we had our breeder over for supper tonight but it turns out our linnie babies are too high quality stock and thus too large for the breed standard leg bands to fit. so we'll go down to the bird store tomorrow and pick up some new bands, and try again sunday or monday for the first pair.

Your chicken drumsticks look very undercooked, OP. Are you trying to give your breeder friend food poisoning??

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

mediaphage posted:

Adorable Disney Chonks inbound! :kimchi:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nyf79SI0U9Q

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
^^ hoverbirb!!

Love it when he does this lil grabby thing with his foot :3:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

foothand!! :kimchi:

foothand is a favourite of ours

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Fuzzy babs!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

How's Grace coping with raising her five babies?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

How's Grace coping with raising her five babies?

literally the day that the final egg hatched she was like I AM FREE and started flying around the house again. before that she would only come out twice a day, morning and evening, to snack and poop. alex dutifully fed her otherwise. now they spend most of the day outside of the nest unless they're doing a feeding.

since then it's been a team effort!! they're very good parents, honestly. they take turns and go in to feed them and then eat ridiculous amounts of food (which is to be expected; they're eating for seven, after all). they've also been very chill about us handling the babies and nest as long as it's within (especially grace's) eyesight. we're flock, right, so it's expected we'd help out.

should be fun to help start feeding them soon and take some of the pressure off because it's clearly a load of work for them lol.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

mediaphage posted:

foothand!! :kimchi:

foothand is a favourite of ours

Is it always the left foot? In her book on magpies Gisela Kaplan makes a passing reference to parrots generally being left-footed when discussing magpies' general disinclination to use their feet to manipulate food (songbirds tend to use their feet only for perching).

The meatballs I give the magpies are too large to swallow entire, and have to be broken up. I feed them their breakfast on top of my front wall as it's at head height for humans and they feel safer up there. The wall is about 20 cm wide which gives Freckles (the female) plenty of room to break hers into little pieces, but Pancake (her partner) is a messy eater and would often lose his meatball over the edge of the wall. The solution he eventually came to is to use his right foot to hold a meatball down while he tears bits off, and I've noticed it's always his right foot. Bubble (one of their juvenile offspring) also has learned this trick, and also always uses his* right foot.
Kaplan notes that the magpies she's seen used their left foot to hold large dog bones to get at the marrow, but she has only seen one family do this and they appeared to have all learned from a single adult who worked out the trick first, so the initial choice of foot may be idiosyncratic.

* Although juvenile magpies are not dimorphic I think Bubble is male and Squeak (the other juvenile) is female. If the parents are foraging separately Bubble will usually be near Pancake and Squeak near Freckles, and they have each acquired several behaviours I associate with their favoured parent: Bubble is bolder (like Pancake) and as mentioned uses his right foot to hold food, Squeak is warier (like Freckles) and only uses her beak to break up her meatballs. Note that boldness itself is not a gendered trait in magpies, in different groups it can be the female(s), the male(s), or combinations of both that eat from my hand.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 18, 2024

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

GotLag posted:

Is it always the left foot? In her book on magpies Gisela Kaplan makes a passing reference to parrots generally being left-footed when discussing magpies' general disinclination to use their feet to manipulate food (songbirds tend to use their feet only for perching).

The meatballs I give the magpies are too large to swallow entire, and have to be broken up. I feed them their breakfast on top of my front wall as it's at head height for humans and they feel safer up there. The wall is about 20 cm wide which gives Freckles (the female) plenty of room to break hers into little pieces, but Pancake (her partner) is a messy eater and would often lose his meatball over the edge of the wall. The solution he eventually came to is to use his right foot to hold a meatball down while he tears bits off, and I've noticed it's always his right foot. Bubble (one of their juvenile offspring) also has learned this trick, and also always uses his* right foot.
Kaplan notes that the magpies she's seen used their left food to hold large dog bones to get at the marrow, but she has only seen one family do this and they appeared to have all learned from a single adult who worked out the trick first, so the initial choice of foot may be idiosyncratic.

* Although juvenile magpies are not dimorphic I think Bubble is male and Squeak (the other juvenile) is female. If the parents are foraging separately Bubble will usually be near Pancake and Squeak near Freckles, and they have each acquired several behaviours I associate with their favoured parent: Bubble is bolder (like Pancake) and as mentioned uses his right foot to hold food, Squeak is warier (like Freckles) and only uses her beak to break up her meatballs. Note that boldness itself is not a gendered trait in magpies, in different groups it can be the female(s), the male(s), or combinations of both that eat from my hand.

now you've got me wondering. if i were to blindly guess, i'd say they use both but i'm going to try to observe and keep track, haha

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Pretty sure Tux always uses his left foot. Meanwhile in the realm of infinite cuteness: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-04-18/bonorong-wildlife-sanctuary-george-cockatoo-raphael-lorikeet/103732066

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

bee posted:

Pretty sure Tux always uses his left foot. Meanwhile in the realm of infinite cuteness: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-04-18/bonorong-wildlife-sanctuary-george-cockatoo-raphael-lorikeet/103732066

:kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi:

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Coulis always greedyfoots with his left foot

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

banding the second youngest today

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
They develop so fast.

I would say Sinbad does his pleading foot with his right, actually. I am unsure how he usually grips good, though.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

mediaphage posted:

banding the second youngest today

They are painfully adorable :kimchi:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Are they still too young to open their eyes or was that one just particularly sleepy while you banded them? :kiddo:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Kitfox88 posted:

Are they still too young to open their eyes or was that one just particularly sleepy while you banded them? :kiddo:

that one has slits so he’s opened them. the the three older birds have for sure; i don’t know about the youngest.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

🥹 absolutely precious

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :kimchi:

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
;w;

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

So God drat precious

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Baaabbbyyy bbbbbiiiiiirrrrrdddd :3:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

:kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares