Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

My bf and I did end up getting a gcc, but I've been so busy moving and tying up loose ends I haven't been able to make a proper post. Til then, here are some spoilers:
Baby birds=the best
Green cheeked conure=the best
Baby green cheeked conure=not enough :3: in the loving world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

So when my boyfriend and I decided to get him a bird I was reluctant to get a baby. All my birds have been previously owned, done with puberty, and 'rescued'. I was really nervous about getting a bird that does a complete 180 on us in a year or so. Plus, how much cuter can a baby bird be?

I was wrong. I was so very utterly wrong. How the gently caress do people not just come home with baby birds in their pockets every day?

This is Leeloo:

She is a cinnamon GCC from a clutch that included two turquoise, one normal, and I think one yellow sided. The parents were normal.

I don't have a picture of it, but she even has little orange streaks above her legs that look like her namesake's suspenders.

Basically she is the cutest. When she's angry about not being let out of her cage she takes it out on her jingly bell. Whenever she's bitey we distract her with scritches and she suddenly forgets what she was so pissed off about. She is determined to drink my beers and she loooves snuggling in pretty much any manner.

She tried to feed our fingers a few times- would that make her a Leelad?

This is Rufous:

She has decided that boyfriend is A-OK

We hope that someday her and Leeloo will be BFF, however the current forecast is not good.

Although she is still getting over her broody snit and is currently a jerk to me, she is my fluffy little bitch. Quaker for life y'all.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

I felt something wet hit my cheek and got all worried about Leeloo having a cold. Nope. She had pooped on my shoulder, went for a nibble to see if it was tasty, decided it wasn't, and flicked it onto my face. Birds.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

uglynoodles posted:

Upon cursory examination his stools seem like they were a bit watery. Possible intestinal infection?

I would bet money that the hand feeding for the lil guy was going wrong somehow. From everything I've read, doing it correctly is very hard and if he was doing it for the first time...
He should have weaned it completely before giving him to you. I am so sorry you had to go through this :(. I can't imagine it was because of anything you did.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

mjs6643 posted:

Why'd the bad breeder have to drag an innocent derpatiel into this? :smithcloud:

Seriously, derp/=conure. He may as well have gotten a pug.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

Wizard of Smart posted:

Mickey does this and it's hilarious, I thought he was broke. He'll hold onto his tail while trying to do other things sometimes too.

Leeloo does this! She'll just chill with her foot on her head like that for minutes at a time. She also hols her tail feathers when preening them.

Here she is on my shoulder doing her hedonism-bot impression

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

Frogmanv2 posted:

Was out at dinner at my Mums house last night, and if you step out the back door, and look slightly up and to the right, you can see the nest where a dove of some sort has laid a couple of eggs. I will try and get some better photos next time im over there.

Look forward to seeing the ugliest baby birds in existence.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

Does anyone have a contingency plan for if their power goes out in the winter? My biggest fear is that the power fails while we are out or asleep and the birds slowly freeze. We have a small place that doesn't take much to heat (on gas) but I still worry.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

I'm so glad to see Zippy having a good life. She seems like she fit in seamlessly, have you had any trouble at all with her?

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

On the scale of parrot screaming volume that's not bad! Bird jackpot.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

uglynoodles posted:

Lately Iro has been doing this thing where she will kind of hug my hand. She leans her side against my hand, even lifting one wing a little so her body is right there. She's so warm! It is super cute.

I am wondering if there is something I can do to communicate that I want to play. She likes getting head rubs and seems to enjoy being stroked on the upper chest and her neck down to her shoulders, but other than that she just kind of climbs around. She loves nibbling on my ring and has this weird, weird habit of grabbing a fingertip and licking it all over! It's weird as hell. She will sit there for 20 minutes or more just very very gently squeezing my fingertips in her beak and licking away. She's always gentle about it and will stop without a fuss if I express that I've had enough, so I just let her. It's a nice exercise of trust I think, having my finger in her beak and her not hurting me. :)

I see videos of Conures flopping around on their backs and playing with stuff and I hope that will be Iro in time. She just doesn't do much except climb on me weirdly nibble my fingers and and get a frequent head rub. I don't want her to get bored of me! (The other way round isn't possible!)

It took Leeloo a few months do play with us in ways other than aggressive nibbles. She now lets my bf hold her on her back in his hand while she uses her feet to fend off the impending Fingers Of Doom.

She also really really hates pooping in her cage. The first thing she does in the morning is stand on her door and take a massive post-sleep dump. If bf tries to wait for her to poop before letting her out, she adopts pooping stance but just waits with this angry look on her face like "Let me out rear end in a top hat, you know what I have to do" :saddowns:

She's in her cage now and made a noise to get our attention. She did the poop squat, and when it was clear that she wasn't going to be let out, pooped, and made the angriest squeak ever. How dare we make her poop in her room! Monsters!

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

Tadhg Dall posted:

So I'm a little worried that I'm slipping into full bird-crazy territory. I have a budgie, and I'm getting a conure soon (still in egg form at the moment). Two birds, not that big a deal. But recently my budgie has been making me feel SUPER DEPRESSED by spending all day cuddling his cuttlebone and singing to the picture of the budgie on the nutri-berry bag, so if he and the conure don't get along I'm thinking I'll get another budgie for him to be buddies with. One bird becomes three...and I've had him for less than a year. Am I doomed?

Budgie pinfeathers are the best because they have those hilarious black tips. I try to preen Roo but my big clumsy fingers make her squawk and then I feel like a monster.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

Roo hates cans of diet coke. She'll attack it or my hand if one gets too close to her. Just diet coke, any other can is a-ok.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

Our elderly rescue-tiel did it too. He was the quintessential geriatric Get off my lawwwwwn[ :argh:

When he was on his way out I took to cleaning his vent off. One day he acted more upset than usual and briefly went limp. I, of course, freaked the gently caress out.

Ever so gently I lifted him up to my ear to see if I could hear him breathing, or at the very least, the shuffling off of his mortal coil.

Surprise! Angry Edbird clamped onto the top of my ear, took both hands to get him off.

:argh:

Forgot about todays Wonderella (https://www.nonadventures.com). Guy knows his derpfaces.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

Ugh, GCC's are perfect. Boyfriend plopped Leeloo down on me when I was in bed and her immediate reaction was "gently caress yeah lets do this nap"
And then we did. :3:

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

The pillow my head was on made a fun cave. Loo spent the next ten minutes diving off it into my puddle of long hairs until she got stuck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCCY7p6TMM8

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

Rufous has bitten Leeloo's toes like five different times since we got her. Each time she makes this horrible "REEEEEEEEEE:saddowns:" and I feel like a monster cause it's my bird that's the toe biting rear end in a top hat.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

Leeloo refuses to bathe in the sink or even in a large shallow pan. Only tiny custard dish will do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqrKzgoLyM0

Also, this is what two of her morning poops look like.

I don't understand how she even exists after that.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

Opera Bitch posted:

So has anyone here ever ordered from the website Parrot Safari.? Because if you have, and you had a GOOD experience, I'd love to hear it because I am steamed! I ordered a whole bunch of stuff from there, and even though shipping was ridiculous at $14, I'd spend just that much in gas to drive to our closest bird toy shop, which is 45 minutes away. I spent a lot of money in one shot so I could stock up on toys since shipping is expensive, as is driving to the store. Never again will I order from there. I got my order on the 30th and out of the fourteen plus things I bought, only four arrived in the box... and one of them was the wrong perch. There wasn't even an invoice, and the box was just one that something else had been delivered to them in. I have sent them three emails and a Facebook message with no response and their "contact us" number isn't even a working one. I am so glad I paid through Paypal because I just opened a dispute, hopefully they will respond. I have bought their toys from our local bird shop before, so I figured they were a legitimate business. *End rant*

Edit: Just checked the mail to find one of the missing things. No note of when the rest will come, just a box wit one toy inside.

Parrot Safari or Parrot Safari Toy Factory?

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

My mom got home late from work one night exhausted. She walked right past the livingroom where I was sitting with Zoe and up to bed. Zoe was pissed. He hollered until I yelled at her to come back down and say goodnight to him. He was appeased.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

uglynoodles posted:

and drapes the other half of the rope on her back.

Is it rude that I think this is hilarious? It's like a woman going to diddle herself but using one of those boyfriend pillows to, uh, 'complete the experience'.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

Pookah posted:

Yes those wubbly little potatoes are welcome at the weird bird party.

Ohtori's tantrums are inexplicable to me as the bird-sort-of-mummy of a grey; does he just... tumble over and start complaining? Pookie would never do that, she's too secretive, she only plays Peep with me if there is no-one else in the room.

Leeloo will do this also if you leave her in her cage when she thinks its time to come out (ie: every time). Once she did this furious slow motion roll from her side to her back and then waved her feet in the air.

She likes to play Escape from New York by crawling into Roo's cage (and liberating the zupreem) until Roo furiously marches in and chases her out. It's a mad dash for the cage door while Roo lunges and cuts her off at any opportunity. I give it two thumbs up.

The woman we got Loo from said that quakers and conures buddy up all the time, and they probably will as well! NOPE.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

I'll just leave this here....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_za5M1svHv8

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

Parrotlets are known for being tiny stubborn bird Hitlers. It's not a species I'd choose as a first bird.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

Hahaha, a bird is the LAST creature to get if you want to be sure it loves you. Our macaw used to change his mind weekly before he settled on mom as The Best Person.

Also teaching a bird to scream... Is his name Pandora and has he been given any boxes to keep an eye on lately?

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

Ahahaha, I love that. I was walking to the ferry with my friends who had their two Amazons in a carrier. A girl walks past and one of the birds wolf whistles- she turns around and glares at the guy friend with murder in her eyes. All he could to was point helplessly at the carrier. :saddowns:

She forgave us upon introduction to the culprit.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

My friend has a soda machine. Her grey Kinshasa likes the fizzy water. She gets excited when she sees my friend leaning towards it and make the 'pffft' sound it makes when she sees this. The soda stream is next to the kitchen table.

The sum of all these details is a bird that makes fart noises whenever guests lean over during dinner.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I've kind of got my heart set on a Quaker Parrot. I love how poofy and expressive they are and it looks like they like to snuggle and hang out which is basically exactly what I want in a bird. Now I just need to wait it out and see if I can make it happen or if I wimp out.

Rufous loves to sit in the crook of my arm all poofed up and preen. Both of the Quakers I have known are kind of ocd... They arrange their toys the way they like and if you move them they get hilariously angry about it. They also like to nibble their feet when they are nervous.

Do anyone elses Quakers do this?

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

electricgoat posted:

Like, I could literally feed the bird bits of my dinner?

Ahahahaha, you are likely to find a bird in your dinner, helping itself.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

Deadly Chlorine posted:

Sunny also does this thing when he's angry/feels like he's hot poo poo, he'll fluff up with flat feathers on his head, an extra fluffy neck and he'll sort of do this strutting motion with his tail fanned. It's hilarious and I'll try to get a video of him one day. :3:

Leeloo does this too. It's the cutest cause then I get to put her in her place. (Belly smootches)

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

Clinton1011 posted:

Does anyone else's birds try to tear out your toe nails or bite your toes? I always try to wear slippers now since my reaction is to kick out when I feel the pain and I don't want to hurt the little guy.

Is there some reason behind this behavior or is he just being a tiel?

Leeloo HATES my toes with the fire of a thousand suns. I don't think she realizes that they are attached to me.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

Help my bird is broken :saddowns:

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

I am so sorry you guys. Paper the neighborhood with flyers. When I was younger we found a budgie in our barn that flew away for its people twenty miles from where we were. They were so happy to get him back.

Is there any way you can put a familiar cage out where they could see it? It's a stretch but I've heard of it working.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

That breaks my heart. Do any of you three have any feathers that you saved? I'm a jeweler and I'm trying something new, and I'd love to use the opportunity to give you something to ease the pain.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

Chiyo was so special we all knew her by name.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

Bioshuffle posted:

This thread has made me extremely paranoid about my birds getting out. I let them out of their cage all the time. Are they relatively safe from escaping as long as their wings are clipped? The reason the birds were able to get away was because they were all fully flighted, right? I'm trying to find some more information but it says even clipped birds can get a lot of air when the wind blows the right way.

It is less easy when they are clipped for them to maneuver inside and, say, accidentally shoot out a window. However, it is very VERY easy for smaller birds to get caught in a breeze if they are outside, clipped or not. Leeloo was clipped and got outside, and I think the only thing that saved her was that she flew into the side of the trailer next door. It sounds like the escaped budgie wanted very badly to return but kept getting pushed up by wind.

Also, a lot of birds just freak if they accidentally get out. They see all those huge trees and that big open sky, and their lil brains just immediately go ESCAPE FLY AWAY. By the time they get a grip, they are up a tree or in a completely unfamiliar neighborhood.

My friend had two amazons who were fully flighted and made a point to walk them around the block when they moved so they'd recognize any landmarks if they got out. She also had the bonus of one of them having an obsessive recall to a cordless drill and that the other would follow where that one went. However, she was very well versed in free flighted birds and knew exactly what to do. Taking them outside unclipped and untethered is something that you only do if the birds know what they are doing just as much as you do, along with the environment being appropriate.

There was a guy on youtube who was free-flighting his grey and neither he nor the bird knew what they were doing. She took off one day and never returned. :(

Tasty_Crayon fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 12, 2013

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

So holy poo poo, electrical fire in our trailer. The maintenance guys were working on the ceiling in our kitchen when they smelled smoke and caught it right as it began to smoulder all the way on the other side in the bedroom. I cannot stress how happy I am that they were there. They even covered the birds so they wouldn't be cold and threw all the doors open to let the smell out. We were so lucky, all I can think about is how fast the birds could have died from smoke inhalation, even if all our stuff made it.

Roo was a dick the entire time, yelling at people. Leeloo was terrified and I was afraid she was hurt cause she was sitting funny, but the moment I let her out she took a massive GIANT poo poo all over my chair. So I guess She refuses to poop when she's scared. Good to know.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

I am sorry for YOU for having to out up with this. Us marshmallow hearts know how you feel.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

Munnin The Crab posted:

You sound just like me the first time Fran the kestrel flew to my glove. It took ages (and a few scars) to get her to figure out that heads are not an acceptable landing area :3:

Edit: fuuuuck, I want a bird. Time to start reading up.

Haha, we had a barn owl at the rehab center that had been raised as a pet. She would automatically fly to your shoulder and scream in your ear, til she was broken of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

Leeloo thought that if she was cute enough we'd let her back out. Well bird, you won't stop picking bf's scab so you can lick up the blood, so no.

via Imgflip GIF Maker

via Imgflip GIF Maker