Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweet CupnCakes
Feb 13, 2007

Did you ever walk in a room and forget why you walked in? I think that's how dogs spend their lives.
My boyfriend and I have been visiting the birdy store and we both want birds in the future. We are looking for a place right now so maybe in the next year or so. A couple of birds I have fallen in love with at the store were Cacique (Spelling?) and a very pretty Eclectus bird. Would anyone be able to give me more information on those?

Also, I am really worried about spending a ton of money on a birdy only to have it hate me one day. Are all birds into only guys or only girls or is it just dependent on the bird? I just hear people say 'oh he hates girls so be careful' and that makes me nervous. The lady at the bird store says most birds pick a sex but I am wondering if that is true.

Also, this whole bird puberty thing....it scares me. I already am getting used to bird beaks. They scare me cause I think they can take a finger or eye at any moment. So any bird we get will go through this and possibly want to skin me alive? Or is it different intensity depending on the type of bird?

Thanks for the info!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweet CupnCakes
Feb 13, 2007

Did you ever walk in a room and forget why you walked in? I think that's how dogs spend their lives.

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

It's reasonably common for parrots to favor one type of person or another--whether that means they prefer men, or they warm up faster to petite women, or whatever. But it's not a certainty. Parrot puberty...well, yeah, that's bound to happen, it can be awful or okay. Some species are more likely to be difficult than others.

Caiques have the reputation of being VERY high-energy clowns, and potentially quite temperamental. Eclectus parrots are pretty interesting in that the difference between males and females behaviorally (not just in coloration) can be very marked. Pretty much every baby parrot is adorable and fun, just like puppies, so going by "we really liked this one in the store" isn't your best bet.

Have you owned birds before? What qualities are you looking for--noise levels, playfulness, cuddliness, size, lifespan? What kind of daily time do you expect to have, long-term, for a bird? This kind of stuff helps you think about what birds might be right for you.

I am a herper at heart. I have owned cockatiels in the past because my parents liked them but they only lasted a few years until a neighbor kid asked my parents if he could buy them. My mom was sorta sick of the noise so she did. I liked the cockatiels and one of them could sing the Andy Griffith song which was cool but they didn't like anyone and didn't ever want to be touched. So, I don't have a lot of experience. I also don't believe in getting animals without doing research so this is why I am starting now.

My boyfriend wants a big bird. He really likes cockatoos or parrots. I don't know how he can stand the loudness of them personally and I know that cockatoos are very prone to emotional issues and plucking. Parrots just freak me out. (When I say parrot I mean the big ones, Macaws I think).

Personally speaking the playfulness of the Caciques was what made me love them. There were two and they were fighting over a ball and laying on their backs and just being the biggest clowns. They didn't scare me cause they were small and very cute. I would prefer a bird that likes to be touched or held, one that can do okay with long periods of alone time. I work full time and always will. My boyfriend has a varied schedule because he maintains fish aquariums for a living so he can be home when I am not. I don't really mind noise, the cockatiels didn't bother me, but I don't like the extremely loud screaming some of the Macaws were making.

I know nothing about birds really other than they need a lot of attention, you can't cook with teflon, they need to be entertained, and many are not suitable for an apartment. We are looking for an apartment and I don't see us having a house for many years so it would have to be something that wouldn't annoy the neighbors too much.

Perhaps this ideal bird does not exist but who knows. The Lorikeet they had was HILARIOUS but bit me really hard and wouldn't let go. I know, I am assuming with birds I WILL get bit a lot. It's like me with snakes, I know I will get bit eventually dealing with as many snakes as I do.

My boyfriend also likes green cheek conures which were mentioned earlier but I was always under the impression they were SUPER loud. But I think someone said earlier that only some of them are super loud.

Anyways, does this info help at all?

Sweet CupnCakes
Feb 13, 2007

Thank you everyone for the information. I think I am sold on the green cheek. Like I said though, we have many many months before I will even be ready. I just now have a better idea of what kind of bird to do much more research on.

I luckily have good skill with not reacting violently to bites. With snakes you can tear their teeth out or make a wound much worse if you jerk back after getting bit. I was bit during feeding time by my 8 foot burmese python and was very proud of myself for standing there and calmly grabbing her head to make her release me. I was a bit bloody and it hurt pretty good but I think it makes me cut out for other types of animals that may bite. Don't react!

Again, thank you. Maybe once I get everything set up in a few months I'll do another thread to make sure I am doing things right. :)

Sweet CupnCakes
Feb 13, 2007

SaNChEzZ posted:

And here's a lorikeet that was awesome.

There was also a Queen of Bavaria conure that had just had a bath, looked like it had a tumor on it's chest, but nope, it's just a pig and had a crop full of food.

Is this at Omars in Brea? I go there a lot and the Lori they have is hysterical. It runs around the bottom and chases balls and acts like the nuttiest animal. It's hilarious. And I think the Queen of Bavaria was super sweet and loved to be cuddled. I like going there to get a good bird fix since I can't get one yet.

Sweet CupnCakes
Feb 13, 2007

Is this real? I didn't know budgies could talk like that. I always hear them in the bin-o-budgies at the pet store sounding like little squeaky things. Is this a fluke or something most budgies do?

"Bust a move!"

Sweet CupnCakes
Feb 13, 2007

Hey Bird Crazies!
I have been into birds for a long time and go to the local Omar's Exotic Birds to play with all the birds on a regular basis. My mom LOVES birds and feeds all of the wild birds in our area. We have like 16 different bird feeders and she loves to watch them. I took her to Omar's last weekend to show her some of the birds and she actually loved the idea of getting a bird. She didn't realize that they have different personalities and like to play and interact. She fell in love with the Caiques. I did some research on them a long time ago and have since forgotten a lot about them other than they are the clowns of the bird world. I found some on craigslist for sale but I have not been able to find any options that seem feasible for adoption. I live in southern california, so perhaps I'm not looking at the right rescue groups.

My questions are these:
1. Many websites mention that they are playful and love people but then say the need a firm person because they are strong willed. Is this a polite way of saying the bird will bite until it gets its way? I'm not worried about myself (the primary caretaker) but my mom has arthritis in her hands and I know she would be in a lot of pain from a constantly biting bird.
2. I want a bird that has already gone through puberty. Does that lessen the possibility of my bird changing attitudes in the long run?
3. Is purchasing a bird from someone on craigslist a bad idea? I know not to get dogs from byb's but I don't know if the same rules apply to birds?
4. Tell me all the reasons I wouldn't want this type of bird so I can make an educated decision.

Thank you everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweet CupnCakes
Feb 13, 2007

SaNChEzZ posted:

I can tell you right now that if you're going to spend the money on a Caique, just buy it from Omar's. You will not find a better hand raised and human oriented bird from anyone else. Which one do you go to? Also, if you buy a bird from Omar's they do free grooming (wings+nails) which is awesome :)

As far as Caique ownership, I can't really say much but I want one :ohdear:

I got to the one in Brea, California. I love that their birds are so wonderful and they always know the personalities of the birds. I don't mind spending the money or anything for a baby. I think I just had it in my head that rescue was a good way to go since there are probably lots of birds out there that need a good home. I realize the Caique may not be as popular so they may not come around in the rescues as much as things like cockatoos and such. I like a lot of options, conures, parakeets, senegals, etc... I just saw my mom and how she couldn't leave the Caique birds alone.