Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
My cockatiels hate each other. And my conure doesnt care for the tiels either. Oh well.

I finally got my Bart-tiel to eat pellets !!!!!!!!! Pichu will eat harrisons already but Bart seemed reluctant. I bought some of the zupreem fruit budgie sized one and hes eating it now! Excellleeennnt. I'm gunna do a mix of that + Harrisons and hope he eats that too.

edit:
Wizard, my GCCs feathers kinda looked like that too, not as bad but...looked bad. He was a pretty ignored bird/pity purchase at petco but is tons better now. Still looking for a person to adopt him (yea I know bad decisions all around) but hes so much better than a year ago.

Malalol fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
I'm SOOO lucky with my birds I think...Pichu (tiel) ate harrisons the moment I showed em to her. When I got Bart, he ate seeds- I use the higgins sunburst one so theres 'stuff' in it.. and tried the harrisons.. not too much luck but I bought zupreem fruit ones last week, the tiniest size and he eats em! Now he'll eat the harrisons too. I think the green pellets they'll eat last :( My GCC wasnt hard either, he'll eat all pellets too now.

I do a big YOU EAT THIS OR STARVE transition (not really) but they DO go a lil' bit hungry with no seeds in the morning - Ill leave pellets and fruits/veggies.. offer a lil bit of seeds at night. Do the cup filled with mostly pellets, then a sprinkle of seeds too.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I'd love to get some nutritional break downs for bird food..

From learning dog/cat nutrition its like CORN BAD WHEAT BAD BAD GRAIN STOP THAT but then you look at bird food and its like. oh. What should a bird diet be in a complete pellet? Avoid food colouring, try to avoid by product mill run off stuff, ... and...? I didnt want to use zupreem fruit for fear of rainbow poops that I see from store birds on kaytee but I dont seem to have that problem yet. I love the size though.

For birds on seed, any resources for comparing how nutritional different seeds are? Obviously you want a good mix but you know how they say, oh sunflower seeds- high in fat.. etc. If you get the nonsunf. seed mixes, youll see em have more safflower. Is that good? etc. Do birds die from all seed diets from the fat content or is it lacking in some other sort of nutrition?

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

What kind? Does she want body feathers too?

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Amaya. Id send you my gcc bird. Seriously. He needs a good home. Im in ny tho.

Yea nandays are huge. They seem like a med parrot to me when compared to pyrhurras. We have a baby in right now and i was finally able to pet him last week. Now he runs up to the glass and bars seeking attention vs running away. Yay!

I took my tiel to woek today. People are surprised he is so friendly. And my adoption process?
- go in to shelter to see dogs
- see cage crammed full of tiels
- go hey. I want fhat one. Okay heres 40 bux
- owner sticks him in a cardboard box
- bird

Yay for not crazy rescues. Though on the other hand, they had absolutely no requirements.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Battle Pigeon posted:

Pellets are less popular over here than in the US. Aside from just being ignorant of what a parrots diet should include, one of the arguments is that since we aren't knowledgable enough yet about what each species eats in the wild, we can't possibly hope to replicate it in pellet form. Also, needs vary across species, yet pellets are often sold as a "one fits all" sort of food. Both just pellets or just seeds aren't great as a diet (though seeds are worse), and it seems best to either make your own mixes, or give pellets and seeds, plus vegetables etc. I assume (hope) that breeder was just arguing against a pure pellet diet, otherwise I've no idea.

How do you replicate a birds diet with the seed packs though? Of course, it varies by size from budgie seed to really big macaw-heres some walnuts and acorns type deal but. I feel like thats more...what cheap humanly available ingredients do we have- rather than catering to a birds dietary needs. And in that case, a lot of birds are like..let me eat these sunflower seeds, millet, and nothing else.

The conure and tiels pretty much get the same food, pellets (harrisons/zupreem) with occasional seed mix that has other dried goodies in it and veg/fruits...doubt its balanced for their species but, it sounds good enough to me :\

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Does anyone else have a cockatiel that looooves being pet? I was able to scritch Pichus head and after maturing, shes way more fussy and even when she accepts headpets shes doing that peeved cockatiel beaking notquitebiting at my finger most of the time. Bart is so much different; when he first came home with me he was a bit more fussy and unsure of people. He'd bite a lot harder than I was used to when doing that annoyed cockatiel beaking. Nowadays, I can handle him a lot easier, he doesnt beak as hard, and be super cuddly- super headrubs, stroking his back, holding him in cupped hands or to my chest (Pichu I know would protest wildly at this), grab his beak, etc.
Either way, I love it. :3:

Pip pip pip posted:

Zupreem club just sent me an e-mail about a website they're sponsoring to analyze different bird foods: http://www.birdfoodfacts.com/

It lets you add different foods into a mix by percentage and gives you a breakdown of protein/fat/fiber/moisture. It's kinda neat to play with, but doesn't give any vitamin breakdowns that I can see. I thought it was relavent to some of the pellet vs. homemade mixes chat we had a couple pages ago.

Not really sure how to use this website honestly. I played with it a little bit, with all the good pellet diets and then compared to the worst seed mixes I could find on that list (which mostly fell into acceptable range). Doesnt..tell me much other than the statement 'Your food is okay' ....and various premade diets differ wildly in those categories..fiber, fat, etc. Weird.
I can see it being a bit more helpful for people who play around with making their own food though(mixing up veggies, fruits, seeds, etc)- but not for the typical bird owner. I like the faq though.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Hmm, trying to be price conscious too if I can with food..

I feed the birds Harrisons, my last bag I ordered 5lb in october. And Im almost out(would be totally out if I didnt add in fruitblend or seeds occasionally I think) ...so thats $35inc shipping for 3 birds every ...3-4 months?

That TOPs pellets sounds cheap- Ive tried their seeds before...and 4lbs for 15? Not bad..til I added it to the cart and saw $17 in shipping! Checked the site I buy my harrisons from and its equaling to $29 for 4lb vs $35 for 5lb.

:( Good bird stuff is expensive- even with over $10 shipping fees, the food is still cheaper online vs. buying in a store, thats crazy! Fruitblend is maybe $13 in store for 2 lb, so I have no idea if I should just switch to 100% fruitblend for pellets. Would it make a big difference? Very similar nutritionally- except Harrisons has a bit more fat and fiber. I'm leaning towards just get the fruitblend to be cheaper because I doubt there is a very big difference in the food- yet at the same time, Ive always fed harrisons and I like it :ohdear:

What I like about those pellets are the sizes...I use the budgie size fruitblend and ultrafine harrisons- very tiny pieces for cockatiel beaks and the conures fine with it. Dont have issues with the fruity ones being too colourful and I always thought it added some sort of interest for the birds compared to total bland tan coloured food. Doesnt make their poop colourful too unlike kaytee pellets /barf. I dont like larger sized pellets for the tiels as much- like the tielsize fruitblend or even the TOPs extruded pellets because they seem to have a slightly harder time eating them.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Wizard of Smart posted:

This is probably the cutest cockatiel video I've seen in a long while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGhVXgMoz4g

Cockatiels are the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsmSdwKHzb4

Why can't my bird learn all the cute things.
Not sure how long it really takes for tiels to pick up noises- Ive had bart for maybe half a year + and he came with his own assortment of songs/noises but I dont actually think he's picked anything up while living here.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

How do I tell if my GCC is doing a DO ME body posture vs just wanting to cuddle up? Like he'll (she?) sometimes rub over my hands cuddleytype and it turns into him kinda hunkered down with his tail in the air and still being cuddley. I know for my tiel thats a definite 'do me' posture along with her vocalizations but for the conure I have no idea. Cuz he likes to sit on his butt too when being pet, instead of standing.

e: To add, I am guilty of whole body petting. But how can you resist :(

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Nail clipping takes me like..a minute, its so simple for my birds anyway...the tiels can be done with a paper towel as a burrito (I realized pichus teeerrrified of it so I use darker things like a bandana) or a wash cloth. Doesnt matter which way I put it over them, on their back of belly, I just wrap em up- hold the body down with my left hand restraining and I also pull one leg up/hold the toes, then clip with my main hand.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

So I have Cody held right now in an ice cream grip (like a bird-cone on his tail/butt/feet) and rubbing his head vigorously on my face. He has no choice in the matter.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

A friend ordered bird food from this website (after that bad review a few pages back of a store) and I'm sold!
http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/

He said he got some human treats and toys so I decided why not, needed some harrisons anyway. It came today and it was in a nice paper bag with pink tissue paper wrapping my bird toys and cute gift wrap and indeed, a little baggie of free chinese fingertrap toys and chocolate :D
I know its not a big deal, but it stands out from other sites ive ordered from

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Munchee posted:

PJ, His Derpness, with a special video for Valentine's Day that's sure to make all the lady tiels swoon.

http://youtu.be/J9xf5E1ITdc

This made me want to take a video of Bart!

http://youtu.be/yFTRjrAcEt4
Its not really singing, more like.. one note over and over and over and I'm going to strangle you bird. He does nicer songs sometimes :(

Makes up for it by ULTRA COCKATIEL CUDDLEBUG
http://youtu.be/IHd2JGj2YMs
Curious if you guys have tiels like this too. Hes also dumb as a rock (hes on my keyboard tray right now and he started walking towards the back of it..and I heard a thunk! and...well, he walked right off the keyboard tray and fell. Good job Bart. Youre stupid. I love you. And I like to embarrass you by fulling all your feathers back and show off that naked neck.

Malalol fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 15, 2013

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Ok I honestly thought you put him on his back and said he was tantruming. Thats just 1000000x more hilarious.

My greencheek isnt too socialized.. hes weird... I always tell people Man..be careful with him, he bites. Because hes always done that with family members, though I did notice people who give no fks and make him step up result in a behaved bird. Those who kinda waver- since I warned em, will end up with a beaky Cody. Had 2 completely new people over the other day, warned em and they were like..w/e. I got him on their hand and they were able to pet him and everything. Had him snuggling in the girls hair and just a ham. Wtf bird.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Whenever I talk excitedly at Cody, he starts doing these higher pitched whirry noises and I realized the other day they were words! He was pretty Silly bird/good bird :) ! Whenever I greet him, its usually Hiiiiiiiiii silly biird! You g'biiiird! in babyspeak so he does it too now!

His vocab atm..

Watchu doin?
Hi
Silly biiird
Good biiiird
Step up
Kissy noises
Jujujujuju - okay not word but I say it at him a lot

He doesnt mimic any noises though... not that I know of. Not sure if thats weird or not. The step up is recent too...I asked him to step up and he wouldnt and bit me and started chattering step up! step up!

that douchebird. :v:

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

How does it fit sizewise? Like...one size fits all cages type deal?? My little door opens are on the bottom of the cage..but theres also a seed catcher base so I dont think itll fit mine...

I admit, Im like SUPER SUPER lazy with changing water. Daily fresh h20? yea, no. however, green cheeks seem to be the most notorious soupmakers... I ended up putting 3 different cups of water, 2 on the bottom, 1 hanging, then a smaller hanging water cup- all in different spots of the cage. Ayep, pelletsoup in all of them.

I hate birds

need to switch to water bottles.

V theres just sooo many pellets in the water I think... BIRD. YOURE NOT EVEN EATING THEM, YOU JUST PUT THEM IN THERE TO BE A DOUCHEBIRD.
I tried petting my cockatiel, and he saw, and came over and tried to bite the crap outta him. got a beakful of tiel crest. Bad conure. Bart didnt seem to take it too bad, he just continued singing like nothing happened. whatever.

Malalol fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 16, 2013

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

every answer:

FK YOU IM A CONURE I DO WUT I WANT
POOP IN WATER
PELLET SOUP
BITE THE HELL OUTTA YA
WRECK YO EARDRUMS
FK YOU IM A CONURE
now cuddle me

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Til i am probably the worst bird owner

65 deg inside during winter
Ehh, out of food.? Heres uh. An egg. Thatll do. ..
No clean water? Uhh. Ill get to that.
Veggies? Organic? Pfft. Pesticides? Pfft.
Attention anf play? Let me uh, do...these..tasks real quick. ...yeah.
Vet care? Hmm.

Why are my birds not dead yet

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Do they like mash-like foods? Maybe soaking + creating a mashed potato-like pelletmush would help. If they eat fruits, maybe mixing fine seeds(millet) plus fruitsveggie bits mixed in there so when they go for those bits, theres a higher likelyhood of beaking some mash too.

I think I lucked out x100000 that all my tiels and conure eat pellets, converting was easy..both harrisons and zupreem :) I'm also a dick and starve them until they EAT THE PELLETS.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Hey that mention with the neat feeder thing, its on sale!

http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/cart.cgi?group=0&child=18682&utm_source=daily+deal++4%2F8%2F13&utm_campaign=DEAL+DAY+4-8&utm_medium=email
ends tomorrow..

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Dont have the bird out while opening doors. Or windows. I feel pretty safe with my conure, but not so much with the tiels..I get a little bit nervous but the door is about 2 rooms down from where the tiels actually sit so.. still a risk. Not so much a 'OMG FREEDOM DASH FOR IT!' vs a sudden noise/movement thing that surprises them, they bolt and end up going through an open space. And I wouldnt trust budgies either...

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I love mysafebirdstore :3:

Shipping so fassst. And its always packaged like you are receiving a christmas present. Candy and wrapping paper! I bought a small bag of the Bountiful harvest http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/cart.cgi?group=537&child=1569 it looks like trailmix and I want to eat it... my birds arent a big fan of chunky dried fruit things in general but they seem to be picking at it. So, thats a recommendation from me! Im gunna try the hookbill supreme next time I have to order bird food.

That tidyfeeder is neat though. Does not hold a lot of food but I probably shouldnt be putting so much out at a time anyway. I'm used to leaving a whole cup of pellets out to last them days. It looks seem kinda..small though, and my birds hate each other so only one bird can eat in there at a time. I already use several other feeding stations though (maybe I should have bought 2?) They cant turn around as easy to get out..havent figured out the see through acrylic yet and are biting the sides lololol so I had to put them in there. And couldnt figure out how to get out. Birds

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

How come my conure doesnt do awesome conure things. :( He is such a disappointment. He doesnt interact with things like that video, ..doesnt interact with things at all really (chews and plays some toys in the cage) but when I have him out, he either just sits there or walks around sometimes.

On the topic of conures, how do you get them to shut up? I hate to be THAT person who has a PARROT and is complaining about noise of all things... but he is a GCC whos known for being quiet right? I can personally live with it but the people I am around are getting pretty fed up with it...and I feel super super bad about it. Its not loud decibel wise- its just very consistent annoying sounds for hours. I knew the birds would be raucous during wake-up times and evening times but Ive slowly realized that the noise I hear goes on pretty much all day in spurts.

My SO recently moved here a few months ago and when he sleeps with me (bird cage is right outside) hes pretty outraged at the noise and HATES them. And..its reasonable, hes trying to sleep. Theyre in the living room, where the family spends time so I imagine its pretty annoying to watch TV or whatever and have annoying birdnoises going on.

I have never paid him attention when hes being like this. Completely ignore the cage. So I dont think Im reinforcing that kind of behavior... Ive tried talking/making specific noises from my room, hes not making his flock call noise but Ive read that if you respond in a lower voice, they'll do it too. Nope. Whenever hes absolutely quiet is when hes out with me and I dont want the bird with me 24/7. I can let all the birds out and let them do their thing and he'll still yell unless I am in close promixity to him. At least its not full out conure screaming, but the SO would probably punch me if I said that.

Theres toys in there- that I rotate and get new ones constantly, he has a variety of food, gets time outside of the cage... not sure if its just one of those normal conure quirks or if I did something wrong here

edit: my male cockatiel likes to make annoying noises too so now they are doing a battle of ANNOY EVERYBODY

Malalol fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 14, 2013

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Okay! Got a video of Cody the green cheek being noisy. Its like this pretty drat often...I think more so when theres "bg" noise... people talking, doing stuff, TV on... but through out the day, same noise, just less frequent (a few seconds in between each squawking)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opqlz6uCg2k

Its so annoying :(
And...video is of fish while I sit in my room because he'll stop making noise if I go out there to look at him. Do yallses greencheeks sound like that too?

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Well..Its been 2 hours since I've gotten home and hes still at it. But now theres absolutely nothing around, no tv, no people, all quiet. Just him.

Tidyseed review update... I dont have it sitting flush with the top of the cage, theres a few inches of room where the birds can get on it and stand. So they like to stand on it and take poops and get it smeared all over the plastic. And feets. Ugh. It seems to keep a good amount of pellets from getting wasted though! Not so much the bigger chunks, I see see them getting thrown out on the bottom of the cage but... improvement. Still seeing pellets like a foot away from the cage so, I have no idea. birds

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I dont know what hes doing. And Ive tried replying back to him- mostly in soft voices, or sounds. Sometimes it works and causes him to respond back, most of the time..not really. And he'll keep doing it. When I posted that video of the noise, there were people in the other room talking. And the tv was on... I feel like noise encourages his own behavior. I do talk back to the cockatiels though when they flock call and it seems to work pretty well. Not with him. :(

Man I'm glad I dont have a cockatoo. I mean.. I picked a pyhurra specifically. And at work I ended up absolutely HATING aratingas. I can't stand them. The noise is so painful and having to clean/feed them means being only a few feet away and I just want to punch all of them. BIRDS Y DONT U GO DEAF i dont know how bigger bird owners manage.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

The cage is against a wall and its about.. uh. 3-4 yards away from people..? I'm trying to really see what is going on when he starts making noise.. he was generally quiet after that 2 hours today..I took a nap and when I went out there, he started being noisy again. It semi piped down until someone else walked through again. But right now, the tv is on, someone is watching and its all quiet. ? ? ?

I can't see this working out in the future.. EVENTUALLY, Ill be in my own place without my parents but I had planned on keeping the birds in my room where I am most often which is not going to go well with the SO. He isnt as mad right now because he sleeps pretty far from the noise most of the time... don't think that'll be the case later on :(

If your SO puts up with your bird or actually likes em, be suuuuuuuuper grateful!
edit: hes not making me get rid of them, he just rages whenever theyre being annoying because its extremely irritating to him and it just makes me feel really bad that he has to put up with it. to the point where I really resent the bird for it. Codys awesome, I love hanging out with him but you know that sick to your stomach feeling when something reaaal bad is happening?

Malalol fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 17, 2013

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Ohtori sounds adorable. I dont think noise volume really goes through on a computer video, so all it sounds like is burbles and mumbles to me.

Is that steve? My cockatiels keep calling back to him :3:

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Thats awesome. Ive always thought finches were rad..such cute birds... whats wrong with a cuttlebone for it? Poisonous?

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Do you have a photo of the fake cuttlebone? Because Im super super confused and its the first time Ive heard of 'fake' cuttlebone..I can't imagine real cuttlebone being too expensive wtf? The ones we/I use are all fishy smelling, I can scrape em off and snap pieces off if I try but I do believe theyve got yellow... I can't find anything on google.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

AvianPundit posted:

We just moved to Brooklyn from NJ. The 'tiels are adjusting well to the new apartment, thankfully, but we're having trouble finding a place that does wing-clipping at a remotely reasonable price. The place we used to get it done at charged $7 per bird but it's so far away now.
\

Woohoo another brooklyn bird buddy ^5
Ive never paid for wingclips and do them myself. But I dont even clip anymore, and get annoying cockatiels in my hair. oh well. are there no nearby vets that do it... ?

electricgoat posted:

"But I want her to love me now!" Grats on being 4 years old.

And some cute bird stuff!

That nemo dentist girl is the perfect example that is hilarious. and congratulations on your new secret bird :( i almost think.. eventually he'll get tired of being bit and either listens to you and forgets wanting the bird and abandons it.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Pip pip pip posted:

Ozzy had pretty much the same reaction to us being away from our apartment most of the time for a couple weeks:

Sounds like the rest of you guys should have gotten green-cheek/green-cheek hybrids :colbert:

Older picture but pretty much the same deal.

:)

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I love greys, what a chickenburdfacecuteiepatootie omg. :3:

Celebrating pichus 3rd birthday today with some higgins worldy cuisine. oooooom nom nom

^ too stupid to eat real food

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Yeah, chickens dont chew their food and its broken by pebbles and movement in their gizzard(?). Parrots will rip off chunks. I think my birds like veggies (carrots etc) to be more cut up though vs. actually biting a large piece. Lazy? They'll gladly rip into a leaf though no problem.

Anyones birds act totally different when you open the cage? Pichutiel is right outta there..she'll climb down and start roaming the floor. Then the GCC clambers around cage near the entrance, but mostly for my attention.. he'll never go do stuff on him own. Barttiel doesnt bother coming out.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

and on top of that they generally don't want to hurt their bonded human.

full. of. lies.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Omg yes! Hahaha..I managed to actually get Pichus first 'bath' on camera...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vSjuaAMZpc
It wasnt a very big dish (not much room on dorm computer desk anyways) but it was hilarious her trying to figure out how to move around and roll around in it.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-OaO-HWTDY
Cockatiel and budgie gold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkSvE42zhLU
Whoever said budgies dont kill lied

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv2mVg36rAc
Rounding it out with creepy talking budgie masturbation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBgJjMVKKRk
im dying guys
guys
birds dancing to dubstep compilation
The cockatoo at 1:20 SO PRO ..and the cockatiel right after :3:

I think Im spending the rest of the night watching bird youtube vids

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Did you get it to gape at you because gaping baby crows oh my god their noises

:3:

:3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cklxJXpjzYY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Dog food is fine. For baby birds, usually cat kibble is used for the high protein content (depending on the kind of bird...)