Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
If it's the moving around reason, you might be able to foster a bird while you're still wherever you're at. Talk to your local rescue, tell them honestly what's up, and just see what they say. It might be your introduction to small birds or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.

Amaya posted:

:ohdear: Why are they in drawers...? I know zip about raising babies and especially not macaw babies but uh this seems awful and horrible and :'(
Half a guess, but to regulate heat and it mimics a nesting environment. "Momma bird" feeds baby every time she comes back to the nest...and baby gets used to being touched by humans.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Here's what we offer our macaws and greys:
Zupreem pelleted diet
Crazy Corn mixed with frozen mixed vegetables.

Macaws love green beans!

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
You should try some Crazy Corn if your bird seems to prefer a wet food. You have to cook it, and it's all sorts of tasty.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
I've linked to his blog before, but he has such fascinating travels and great pictures - read Shan Lung's entry on a falcon market and feral hornbills.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Or if you have 50k, you can get a red one!

http://www.upatsix.com/chats/hand-fed-babies/topic111243.html

Our male grey just bit the poo poo out of my finger - slow and hard, not just a lunging bite. Hurt like a mother.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Don't feel bad - there's a zoo in Florida using skittles as training treats.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Some chickens will sit, even without any eggs on the nest, for a month, so don't get too frustrated. It's hard to fight instincts.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
We get calls every day from people that "rescued" animals from bad stores and now want us to rescue the animals from them. I hate to tell people, but it's better if the animal dies in store and the store owner figures out he or she can't make a profit off them. Oh well.

One of these things does not belong!

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
I love that peacock one - if you ever do it in a lower cost print, I'd be interested in getting it for my office.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
I finished my job at the zoo this week and had to say goodbye to Scarlett and Charlie. :( My wife'll never let me get a macaw. :(

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.

alucinor posted:

Those of you who work with rescues/zoos who house parrots: any materials advice for building large parrot (macaw/cockatoo) flight cages?

I've finally bought a house and am going to turn one room into a parrot flight for the goddamn goffin. I'm thinking about something like http://www.wirewall.com which I've seen recommended in a couple other places, but wondered if anyone had any practical experience with other wire mesh materials. Cost is not a concern, I just don't know where to start looking.
I was told that galvanized wire was an issue for birds that like to chew, but it wasn't explained to me why that is. How much is cost not an issue? If you're totally loaded, start looking through some of the suppliers on AZA.org. There are some ways to be economical, though - my buddy found some of the solid powder-coated wire caging they use in locker rooms at a building surplus store, then he made his with that and 6"x6"s. I think his flight/breeding pens were something like 7'x7'x20'. Another option, if you're near a rural area, is to look around for old wire corn-cribs. Most aren't used anymore, and I bet you could buy one and modify it pretty easily; they do use galvanized for that, but a lot of times it's old enough that it's rusted, despite the galvanization. I was told that rust doesn't really matter.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
I don't know why I look at the bird classifieds. My wife'll never let me get a macaw, but a want a scarlet so bad. :( I miss my zoo greenwings. :(

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Join this yahoo group if you go for the aracari: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/TOUCANS_RAMPHASTIDS/. Jerry Jennings posts all the time in it, and he's about as good as you can get when it comes to ramphastids. Everybody seems to love the curl crested, but ivory bills are my favorite. Do a lot of diet research.

unprofessional fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 10, 2013

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Good deal; he's about the best you could ever hope to find.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Toucan story: zoo curator had a few come through his pet store, and he would always keep them in an open air enclosure. Every once in a while, a small parrot/whatever would get out of its cage and zip around the store for a while before landing on somebody's hand and getting put away. Well, one day a small bird got out, and was zipping around the store, while the toucan just sat there, watching. Zip zip zip CRUNCH - dead little bird on the floor and one pleased looking toucan.

They apparently also like going across ropes and messing with women's long hair. They can give very good pinches as well.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.

Eejit posted:

Has anyone heard about the Gabriel Foundation in CO? I'm finally getting settled and looking for some volunteer work and it would be fun to take one afternoon a week or something and go play with more birds, but these guys are super-focused on adoption and list their animals on a bunch of sites and stuff, so I am a little cautious. It does seem like a great place for the birds, though.
Lots of rescues are nuts and run by nuts who believe nobody can take care of the animals as well as them, but if they're down to earth folks, it'll be an awesome experience.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Neat pics. Do you know what kind of hybrid Fiesta is? Greenwing with something - can't remember seeing a species with black in the face like that.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.

mikerock posted:

When Scout does the stretches on both sides there is a turd coming up!
The macaws would always drop their head down low like they were really checking you out, then PFFTBBBPFFFttt!

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
I heard somebody describe it as greys are a lot like cats. Their owners love them, they're fairly smart, and a bit more quiet than other pets, but they don't give two shits if you live or die. Macaws are more like dogs, loud, a bit dumb, and completely lovable.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Check out this place in Japan that has huge greenhouses with free-flighted parrots/toucans and a flock of 50 sun conures.

http://www.kamoltd.co.jp/kke/english/suiren2.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
If it's the same as the chain of stores named Petland, they have some pretty terrible animal practices, including selling dogs/fresh imported reptiles, etc.