Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Can we get a list of online bird supply vendors going? First one that immediately comes to mind is Windy City Parrot. I'm running out of items with bells that my birds haven't seen before, and sketchy Asian wholesale sites aren't cutting it.

Official Bizness fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Oct 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

I'm bummed. A Hahn's macaw I helped train into an affectionate lovebug needs to be rehomed away from the little girl he went home with. Turns out the grandmother of the family is horrifically allergic to the bird dust. You never see small children and parrots being BFF, but these two are over the moon for each other. :smith: I might foster him for a bit, but keeping six birds that loath every creature in existence would stretch the quality and quantity of time I could give them. SIGH.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Oh, lord. The birds are not enjoying the hurricane. I have two lovebirds in my hair, one stuffed in my shirt, and two green cheeks warbling under my hands and making displeased noises when I have the audacity to type. Everyone hates each other, but apparently SCARY WIND AND WINDOWS RATTLING mean it's time to put down their birdy arms and snuggle the human.

I have to pee. :saddowns:

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

We've had the 'too rip out some studs before. In my experience, smaller birds don't feel the need to remove the object to explore it. For a stud, I'd expect them to tongue around it rather than remove it for closer inspection.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Chiyo has become absolutely obsessed with coming with me into the bathroom. If I have the gall to leave to use the toilet without taking her, she'll actas if this were a betrayal so heinous that she doesn't even know how to adequately express her rage beyond screaming her head off until I come back.

The hell, bird.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

I let my birds sit on the eggs until they get sick of it. Since my lovebird pair can't be handled and get their interaction with me during free-flight time, I don't experience hormonal behaviors beyond "WHAT'S THAT YOU'RE DOING DOWN THERE? STOP THAT. STOP TOUCHING MY THINGS!" when I clean, that might not be the solution you're looking for, but hey. v:derptiel:v

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

What I'd like to see is someone toweling a lovebird. I refuse to believe it can be done.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

My mated pair of lovebirds take two months to decide their replaced fake eggs are not viable. Birds, am I right? :smug:

Except when they are viable and you get stuck with a GODLESS MONSTROSITY.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

I saw "painted my friend's cockatoo" and thought it'd dyed itself after dunking a colored toy in the water. Chiyo spent a week being a solid pink before I started zip-tying that stuff down.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

uglynoodles posted:

I would like a kinda cuddly, interactive buddy friend who will sit with me all the time and what have you. I work from home so I have a lot of time to spend with one.

Older birds are the sleepiest potatos. :3: My guys just sit with me for hours.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

auuuugh. he's ADORABLE.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Since he's still a baby, he's benefiting from the fat and protein of the seed mix, but it's not a long-term food. But I'm sure you've already researched healthy adult diets, so instead: congratulations! :neckbeard:

Slowly conures are overtaking the derptiels. Our time is coming.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

My lovebirds are having their bi-monthly mating marathon. The knowledge that my birds are doing it three feet behind my head is slightly distracting as I work. Dio makes little "eh eh eh" noises as he... does his thing. :gonk:

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Hey, uglynoodles. I have some possible ideas. Is there poop anywhere in the cage? Did you see him defecate when he was out with you? If there isn't any waste, there was something wrong to begin with. I'm not sure how feasible it'd be for you to check his body, but I'd finger the crop to see if it was full.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Not for babies close to being fully-weaned. With the formula being closer to a paste at this stage, solid stools are more usual. Times of stress will make the stool watery, though, and a complete change in environment would be enough to stress any bird.

drat it. I'm sorry, uglynoodles. The breeder should be doing something for you. :smith:

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

It might be itty bitty specks of calcium from hard water or food remnants that he's splashed out of his water dish. Birds. v:derptiel:v

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Chiyo's first birthday is coming up. What do you get the bird that deserves nothing? At the very least, we're stuffing her inside a party hat.

My mom managed to snatch a picture of me napping with the one bird that isn't an ungrateful wretch in this house.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

That bird buggy video is the greatest drat thing I've ever seen, but chalk up another five birds in the "gently caress this" side of learning.

Lesnwork: And there's no molding? Hm.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Everyone else's conures say and do neat things and my broken ones just get lost inside my shirt and wark sadly until I free them. :saddowns:

Sleepy birds are the cutest birds.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

uglynoodles posted:

He makes duck noises constantly.

Totally normal. My birds wark whenever they're experiencing something new or interesting (like a changed bedspread).

uglynoodles posted:

I want to find a reliable source of pellets.

Check your local vet for Harrison's. If anything, they can special order it. You'd be looking at the Super Fine High Potency.

uglynoodles posted:

His problem comes in that he is slightly nippy at my boyfriend, and as a result my boyfriend is becoming a little cringey when it comes to attempts at handling him which I feel is just making the problem worse.

Try leaving the room entirely when they interact. Let your boyfriend take him out of the cage while you're out of Iroh's eyesight. Nipping is a way to convey that he'd like to be on Mum right now, thank you very much, so don't let him think it's an option by being there.

uglynoodles posted:

He doesn't seem interested in his toys or the inside of his cage much. He is constantly on whichever side of his cage is closest to where I am in the room, and sometimes taps the bars with his beak, staring at me dolefully to come out.

He'll learn! Just keep up with a variety of shreddables and different textures and he'll figure out it's fun and safe to investigate them all. Try giving him a cat's jingle ball toy and let him learn the ~*magic of bells*~.

And an update: Zeke's slowed down his plucking. I just noticed his chest was entirely covered in down and not just pin feathers. :stonk:

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

uglynoodles posted:

I hope this settles down soon. I've been saying 'byebye' when I leave the room and expect to be out for more than a minute.

You can also try calling back to her (a "contact" call, birds use them in the wild to know where everyone is) to let her know you haven't been eaten by a grue. Beyond that, keep ignoring her if she has fresh food, water, and things to do.

GCCs are drama queens, man.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJlKIa9MOOI

It's the type of trick training we all wish our birds could do! :haw: Seriously, how much fun are those birds having? Learning new things and showing them off all the time, that's awesome.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

:siren: IT'S CHIYO'S BRITHDAY :siren:

Last year, we discovered that my mated pair of lovebirds are smarter than me (starts about halfway down). Two of their babies were adopted up north, but I kept the runt since she was behind development by two weeks. Worst/best decision ever. Her birthday party is tomorrow and I'll make sure to post pictures of her humiliation and anger. :haw:

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

I work in the same room as my birds and use headphones and music to block out their poor behavioral choices. :colbert: Little pity for creatures that live in cages three times their size, surrounded by toys, and who are abundantly cuddled when deadlines aren't looming. Buttheads.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

The first time Mamacita let me give her scritches, I wept and made roughly twenty posts to Facebook about it.

Also: HA HA birds and plucking. Ha. Haaaa.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Some pet stores/breeders/sellers/whatever clip only one wing on a bird because it's less time handling the bird and stressing it, but still removes the ability to fly. Probably someone had a brain, saw she was only clipped on one side, and clipped the other to help her keep her balance. My guess is that the first half is growing in and the second will catch up soon. :)

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Amazing aviary made out of an old wardrobe. I need it.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Make her a puzzle toy she only gets when you're leaving to help her not obsess over your departure. I like Busy Buddy, but another quick favorite are timothy hay toys since they hang easily.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Conversely, you could still visit with birds that detest all of humanity but fall immediately in love with you and be a match made in heaven. I like to pretend I had a choice in the matter when I adopted Zeke and Zoe. Birds. :derptiel:

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Forgot to buy more Harrison's this weekend, so Zeke and Zoe are enjoying a bean and pasta supper. Content little warks filling the room. :allears:

-- wait no I just looked over and Zeke is using my kindle to wipe the mess from his beak. BIRD.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Whenever Zeke starts trying to get frisky with my computer mouse, I pick him up and viciously snuggle him, praising his virility and overall manliness. Best bird boner killer ever. "THIS IS THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF WHAT I WANTED. PUT ME DOWN. WARK."

Just purchased The Lonely Parrot on a whim for my Kindle. I just had a good sob over a fictional bird.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

(also that tale was based on the real-life bird that the author adopted, so he's not fictional...)

Shut up. You shut up right now. :saddowns: Zeke and Zoe spent at least ten years living in a garage in a 2' by 2' cage with two other birds and no toys, human interaction, or day/night cycles before being surrendered to a rescue. My brain won't let me begin to imagine what their daily existence must have been like.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Battle Pigeon posted:

I'd rather not pay £3 for something 30 pages long, what is it about/how does the story go?

A parrot grows lonely as his human family grows distant. He begins to act out in ways typical to parrots, but finds a new home with understanding owners and feels loved again. There's one illustration of the parrot's cage being covered by a towel that broke my heart and made me wake my birds at midnight to assure them that I'll love them forever. Chiyo did a large poop in her water in response.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

I nap with my GCCs for hours. I'll prop myself up in bed with a book or game and Zeke and Zoe will just snooze under my neck until I remind them birds have to poop eventually.

I LOVE MY BIRDS A LOT. :byodame:

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

I'm on oxycodin after falling down the stairs and breaking my everything, so I don't trust myself with letting my birds out to snuggle. I'm worried Zoe will wiggle under the bed and refuse to come out and I'll hurt myself worse trying to reach her. Everyone keeps making sad little warking noises behind me. :saddowns:

I've been thinking a lot lately about getting a tattoo that would represent the love I have for my flock of idiots. Anyone have their own bird-based tattoos or ideas?

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

It's been a few days since I could sit with my birds at the computer and not become a whimpering pile of pain. Zeke's taking his toys out of his basket near the monitor and bringing them over to me, like he's parading all the things I have denied him since Tuesday. I'M SORRY, OKAY? :saddowns:

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

poo poo. It's not even 8AM and I just spent over a hundred dollars on my birds in that online store.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

I am so happy that Zeke and Zoe are old and geriatric with no interest in knockin' feathers. I hear enough awkward bird sex coming from Mamacita and Dio, thank you very much.

Last night Zeke tucked Zoe under his wing as they fell asleep. This was after an evening spent being bullied away from a treat of leftover noodles since Zoe is pushy and a whiner. I always get such a kick from knowing that Zeke hates everyone and everything besides me and Zoe. He even helps her preen herself since her damaged beak makes it difficult to poke into a lot of feathery nooks and crannies. :allears:

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

I need to drive into the office and all five birds are snuggling with me. :saddowns: Mamacita is in my hair, Dio's in my lap, Chiyo tucked herself into my sleeve, Zoe is snuggled up against my neck, and Zeke is guarding the keyboard and making this really loving difficult to type. I don't think any of them realize there's more than one parrot out. BIRDS.

And another +1 to MySafeBirdStore.com!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

I was going to grab a bird to add to our Birdception pic this morning when I noticed Chiyo is loving building a nest. It is a very poor example of one, but she's still being a dick and a half over leaving it unattended and shows no sign of losing interest in her horny bird project. I think a toy she's had in her cages since she hatched is supposed to be the man in her life. Auuugh.