Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Thank you to whoever posted that awesome youtube clip of the bird with half a TP tube. Squirt has been playing with it at every opportunity. Also, re: poopchat, squirt is a rainbow lorikeet, and has always had runny shits, hence the name. We have checked his diet with a bird vet and he says its good, so we just live with it.

NPR Journalizard fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Oct 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I thought cheese was bad for birds? Have I been denying Squirt treats all this time?

Also, coming home to a quiet house is weird now. We are heading away on holidays for a week and a bit, so have given Squirt to my partners mum for now. She has looked after Squirt before, and has kept birds for longer than I have been around, so im not worried about anything.

I just miss the squarks of fury when I dont open the cage as soon as I get home.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Would using cheese for clicker training treats be too much?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Battle Pigeon posted:

Oh man, I want one of those so bad. Both birds would love it. America gets all the cool bird things. :saddowns:

That looks like about $15 worth of plumbing tubes and a couple of suction cups that you can get from a fish supply store.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Battle Pigeon posted:

etc they're just not available at all here.

Where is here?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

SaNChEzZ posted:

I think he's broken, he never plays with his toys while I'm at work, but instead just sits on his perches, napping or preening, but as soon as we're home the toys get mangled. Birds.

Squirts almost the opposite. When he thinks we arent looking he will happily play with nearly anything, though preferably something he can grab and pick up with one foot, and throw off whatever surface he is on. Usually once he throws something off and we turn to see what the noise is, we get a look like "what? I wasnt doing anything. Im just sitting here preening"

Im pretty sure this is to hide the fact he sometimes chews on his own foot while playing.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

That look.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Battle Pigeon posted:

Would it be jumping on the bandwagon/rude/whatever if I posted my own bird art in here now/at some point? :ohdear:

Not for the first time, I'm glad neither of my birds have managed to work out how to do the same.
More bird art is better than

Also, apparently its a wild bird

Brother Jonathan posted:

From the source: "my friend left her window open in her bedroom and came back to find this look at his self-satisfied little face, the cheeky poo poo. motherfucking australia"

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Wizard of Smart posted:

Mickey does this and it's hilarious, I thought he was broke. He'll hold onto his tail while trying to do other things sometimes too.

Squirt will sometimes try and wrestle with small objects. He really seems to like dental picks and ball point pens, and will hold them in his foot and try to bite them at the same time, leading to him sqwarking when some jerk bites his foot.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Was out at dinner at my Mums house last night, and if you step out the back door, and look slightly up and to the right, you can see the nest where a dove of some sort has laid a couple of eggs. I will try and get some better photos next time im over there.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Joe Don Baker posted:

I always feel like a bad parent when I put my bird to bed. It's like I'm totally ruining his night.

Squirt makes such a heart breaking little peep whenever we leave the house.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Official Bizness posted:

Forgot to buy more Harrison's this weekend, so Zeke and Zoe are enjoying a bean and pasta supper. Content little warks filling the room. :allears:

-- wait no I just looked over and Zeke is using my kindle to wipe the mess from his beak. BIRD.

We have sort of trained Squirt to give kisses and normally its all fun and games and hilarious and cute, but sometimes he wants to give kisses right after eating and his face is covered in wet/dry mix and bird I dont want to eat that.

On the plus side, I have almost finished the outdoor aviary, so he can from his little indoor cage to a 1.2m*.9m*1.5m cage and be much happier. Just gotta finished the door, and then get all the planted stuff settled before we move him in. Hoping to fill it full of stuff he can eat like as well. Problem being that now we need to make the aviary dog proof as well.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Well thats just a poo poo choice to make. Condolences.

Im all in favour of not prolonging pain and suffering.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Scary Ned posted:

Do not ever, ever, EVER trust your terrier near your bird. In my experience they are more dangerous than cats. Terriers just seem to have a "KILL!" switch in their little heads.

Generation after generation of breeding for that specific purpose is a tough thing to overcome. We have an Am Staff as well, and there has been a few OH poo poo moments (like today when the bird started screaming and my partner started yelling and it turns out the dog was just standing on Squirt by accident) but its been a few weeks with them both now, and the dog is starting to get the idea that eating the bird is a no no.

Of course, once they do get acclimatised to each other, there is going to be a saddle made, and a tiny hat and the bird is going to ride the dog and its going to be awesome.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

So do you guys have some ideas for homemade stuff to put in an outdoor cage? I have got a whole bunch of branches and stuff, and the toys from his last cage, but there is just so much more space to fill.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

SaNChEzZ posted:

I'm super jelly of your sink, it looks like it doesn't have one of those stupid center dividers. And that's rad if so.

Wait what why? I hate single sinks. How do you rinse the soap off after you have finished washing?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

How hard does he bite?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I really want to know how loud those guys are in real life because Squirt is pretty drat loud, and now he just sort of blends into the background noise, and its weird when he isnt chattering away or whistling to us/himself.

It still hurts when he is on my shoulder and my partner comes home and he starts calling for her as loud as possible.

Side note, I got him a bigger bird bath and he loves it on hot days. Gonna try and take a video of him frolicking, and just falling off it like he did yesterday, because its hilarious.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

SaNChEzZ posted:

I want to live where wild birds regurgitate for my bird, but giant spiders and stuff.

Meh, you get used to them. Its the smaller redbacks that you need to worry about. The giant clockspiders dont hurt humans, but do a drat good job of keeping insects at bay.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I think you mean BIRDPILE

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

When my partner and I kiss each other hello Squirt feels left out, so he has been joining in and making kissy noises, only he was a bit of a jerk today, and made kissy noises then bit me on my lip, and then laughed at me.

Such a jerk bird.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Eejit posted:

Woah you can do a blood test to determine the sex of your bird? Our boy is 15, has obviously never laid an egg, and has black eyes (female umbrella cockatoos tend to go reddish) so we just assume he's male, but we were always told sexing a bird was some sort of invasive surgery. drat :science:

I think you can send a feather off somewhere and they can DNA test from that, but Im not 100% sure.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Meme Emulator posted:

What is the commonly held wisdom with birds and dogs?

We have a foster Am Staff mix right now, and to be honest, the dog is scared of the bird. We can leave them alone for a little bit, and its very doubtful that anything would happen, but we still dont leave them alone for long amounts of time, because, as you say, all it takes is one quick mood change, one swipe and then its tragedy.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Wizard of Smart posted:

Oh man. Giant bird phone. :3:

Surely the reception must be ok with that size antenna

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Tasty_Crayon posted:

Ahahahaha, you are likely to find a bird in your dinner, helping itself.

The only way I can keep squirt away from my dinner is by shutting him in his cage, which we try not to do, because its hilarious watching how sneaky he tries to be when attempting to steal the food.

Which brings up another point. He loves chicken. Should I discourage him eating his cousins?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Its not just derpatiels that do it. Squirt was in his cage, and tried to jump up onto the next perch, only missed and face planted on the bottom, very quickly got up, looked around and started preening himself as if to say "no, you didnt see anything, I was doing this all along"

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Squirt has just found out that toes are evil as well, but it only if I stand in specific areas of the house.

It's not too bad so far, and usually he just sort of nibbles and it tickles a bit. Once he charged full throttle and bit as hard as possible, right into the leather shoe I was wearing.

Got a nasty look for that

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Hi bird crazies, I went on holiday and saw some birds. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXxnjGPjLkc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

This fukken thread. I cant handle these ups and downs =(

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

electricgoat posted:

When I got home from work, I saw that my roommate had re-arranged Bird's cage. That's the third time in 2 weeks, which seems like too much, but it's all good because I spent a bunch of time playing with Bird with her toys so she could see where everything is now and how to get to it. Then she went for some walks (where I stick my fingers through the bars and she climbs and hops across them). She goes nuts for walks! It's to the point now where if I say "Want walk?" she will run to the perch we usually start our walks from. Very cute!

I dont think its a bad thing that the cage is rearranged either. Keeps things new and fresh for the bird, especially if they are shut in there for long amounts of time.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

electricgoat posted:

Amaya: PETA in generally is pretty lovely. They don't like the idea of people keeping pets of any kind.

This is not why PETA is pretty lovely. The amount of animals they kill each year is truly astounding.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

electricgoat posted:

I'm glad other birds are... well, chickens, too. I was worried my roommate was right that I've been spoiling Bird and that that's what's making her scared of exploring on her own. I scattered some food across the floor around us tonight in the hopes that it would encourage Bird to wander off, and it kind of did. She didn't care about the bits of food, but as soon as she spotted my plate of curry on the floor, she raced over to it, grabbed a chickpea, and then raced back to me, still carrying the chickpea. It's a good first step, right?! What's a good way to encourage her to explore on her own? Or am I being overly concerned, and she'll do this on her own when she's ready?

Some birds are ground feeders, so they will naturally feel ok on the ground. For others, who eat in trees and rarely come to the ground, its a place of evil.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

BlueDiablo posted:

Not sure if this has been covered, but has anyone had any experience with owning a dog alongside a green-cheek conure? Our last ferret died recently, and the wife has been wanting to get a dog for years, and it seems like now might be an opportune time. We were looking for something (obviously) with a low prey drive, like a pug, french bulldog, chihuahua, something smallish along those lines. But, at the end of the day, I'm absolutely terrified that the dog (or bird) might just decide "you know what? gently caress this fool" and go after Bird before we have a chance to react. Can they at least be trained to a point where they'd just ignore one another? I'm not expecting that the Bird will ride around on the dog or anything silly like that, just a minimum of bird-death, since the other alternative is to keep them separated in our tiny one-bedroom apartment, a situation that is unfair to both animals in my opinion.

We have a foster Am Staff and a rainbow lorikeet, and its going well so far.

My partner rescued the lori first, and we had him for probably a year and a bit before we started fostering dogs. We had a couple of staffys that were very interested in squirt, so we kept them very separate. We got our current dog over 8 months ago now (there is a post in the staffy thread about it that was done maybe a month after we got him) and they are at the point where Diesel keeps his distance from the bird, because the bird is a jerk and gives no shits and does his little backwards attack waddle and runs up and bites the dog if he is lying down in the wrong spot.

We still dont leave them alone in a room together for very long. Most of the rooms we spend a lot of time in have clutter that the bird loves playing in and the dog cant get through, plus Squirt is always climbing up on desks and stuff and is out of reach a lot.

Its doable. Take your time, make sure the dog knows very well that the bird is off limits, and keep you eye on them when they are in the same room.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

electricgoat posted:

Frogmanv2: Thanks! Someone a few pages back told me parrotlets aren't ground foragers. I've let her explore a bit around the top of her cage, but we don't have a lot of high up places that I feel comfortable putting her (because we have junk piled everywhere). Is it wrong to be encouraging her to explore the ground? Should I clean off higher up places? Or should I just let her explore when she's ready to?

Its only wrong if you are forcing Bird to do something she doesnt want to do. I dont see the issue in letting her waddle round if she wants to. Keep in mind that it can be a useful thing to keep her wary of the ground, because that can become a painfree way of disciplining the bird. I forget who but there is someone in this thread who uses the ground as a time out zone when their bird does something wrong like bite too hard. The bird gets told "No" and is put on the ground where they are uncomfortable, and learns not to bite too hard,hopefully.

Let her explore when she is ready to.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

electricgoat posted:

Frogmanv2: I'm definitely not forcing her to do anything, but I am encouraging her. Maybe I'll lay off it a little, but I really do want her more comfortable around the apartment before I move and she's stuck with my roommate. :(

Meh, do what makes her happy.

I finally dug up some photos of the two miscreants together as well

Pretty sure diesel got up and walked away at that point.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Battle Pigeon posted:

Not long now until I get to see my two feathered fiends again. I'm thinking of surprising them by hiding in another room and staying quiet so they'll fly in without realising I'm there, but any other suggestions are welcome. I wonder how angry Ohtori will be with me this time, and if Steve will be as well :3:

Hah, there is exactly zero chance of this happening, if your birds are anything like Squirt.

He has learned the sound of my partners car driving up the driveway, and starts going nuts fairly shortly afterwards.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Slinky Weasel posted:

So what's the best way to get bird flying after having its wings clipped for a while? I got my GCC back in January and his wings were clipped. His feathers are finally grown back enough to fly, and I know he can. He'll only fly in emergencies like if there's a scary noise or, god forbid, I leave his line of sight. I've tried to lure him to fly by holding out his favorite treat but the farthest he's gotten is flapping his wings. When he does take flight it's not very controlled, but he can gain altitude.

I tried gently tossing him in the air and it was met with mixed results. The first time I tossed him was loving hilarious. I don't think he knew what was happening because he waited quite a long time to start flapping his wings. The after a few times he would grip on to my hands too hard to gently toss him. I think he was mad at me because he wouldn't step up for me for a while. I gave him a goldfish cracker and all was forgiven.

Should I try something else or is the tossing thing okay?

Stick him on your finger and turn in circles. He will get the sensation of wind and he can control his grip.

Bonus points if you spin, fall over and the bird lands on you.

Then poops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Hobo Camp posted:

I never knew birds could love so much. My mom made the mistake of calling me at work last week and putting me on speaker and now EVERY morning she has to call me because Arya wants to hear my voice. Apparently Nico starts bobbing and shaking when he hears me, too :3:

I get advanced warning of whenever my partner gets home, because the dog starts going nuts, and Squirt starts whistling and contact calling and hopping along to the front room. This happens before she even gets out of her car.