Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

Agent355 posted:

How does a crop burn like that happen? I'm assuming the food was too hot but that looks really bad. I wouldn't have expected it to look like that.

So hot that it burned through the crop/esophagus and through the skin of the chest, if I'm not completely mistaken.
Oh man that poor little chickie. :gonk:

Carbon Thief fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Nov 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Wizard of Smart posted:

I couldn't hear you over the sound of this awesome bird.

You aren't going to be able to sleep in over the sound of it either! :haw:

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

FreyaXI posted:

There is one in Hamilton

Whispering Wings Aviary
Jerry & Carol Randell
Hamilton Ontario (Fancy) Budgies

And 2 in Burlington but quite frankly I don't really know how close they are since I literally just moved from Boston to Toronto last weekend.

Edit: Push comes to shove though I'll just have my Mother-in-Law help us pick a lovely budgie up.

Burlington is almost as far as Hamilton. You'd have to take the GO train to get there. (P.S. Welcome to Toronto.)

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

FreyaXI posted:

This is starting to make me sad. Seems like the breeders I emailed (And the most convenient ones for me to convince my mother in law to cart me to) Don't seem to actually exist anymore or what have you and it looks like I'm gonna have to get a pet store bird if worse comes to worse.-
Some ideas:

Parrot Sanctuary of Toronto has budgies listed for adoption right now.
Parrotdise Perch is a bird specialty store in Mississauga; they might be able to get you in touch with breeders.
I've never been to either of these stores, but they might be worth a visit if you're stuck buying from a shop:
Menagerie Pet Shop is one of the few downtown Toronto shops with birds and bird supplies. They are "more than happy to entertain any reasonable special requests for birds. We only sell locally bred birds."
Perry's Pet Mart in Mississauga claims to have hand-tamed budgies.

Hope some of that helps? The humane society sometimes gets birds, too, but they don't have any listed for adoption today.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

I've been thinking about getting a bird for a few years, and now I'm finally able to afford one. However, I still haven't decided what type to get. I want:

- A bird large and friendly enough to handle/play with (so no finches/canaries)
- Something fairly quiet, as I live in an apartment
- NOT a green cheek/other conure

So far I'm thinking a cockatiel, budgie, or possibly a parrotlet (though I saw some blue quakers when I was poking around on Kijiji and they're beautiful! :3:). Thoughts? Warnings? This will be my first bird, and I work only part-time, so I'll be able to spend a fair bit of time with birdie.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

tintinnabule posted:

Wow, thanks for the write-up! They really do sound amazing. Being hypoallergenic is a pretty awesome quality too. He sounds like a pretty chill lil guy :) My fiance really wants a cockatoo, but we already have Perry (Sun Conure), Olivia (Congo African Gray), and our oldest, Squeaky (cockatiel).

This is gonna sound weird, but do you live in southern Ontario? I knew someone with an African Grey named Olivia/Olly and they had to give her up a few years ago. Would be an odd coincidence if you adopted her.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Just read this article about an injured toucan who got a new 3D-printed beak. :3:

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Since they're English, how about Jeeves & (Bertie) Wooster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm going to guess bringing a bird across the US border is a huge nightmare otherwise I'd drive up there right now and take a bird.

I looked it up, just in case some US goons want to adopt one of them. Looks like birds coming from Canada into the US don't need the usual quarantine, but they require a vet's certificate, and you have to schedule an appointment with the USDA vet at the border crossing. If you're travelling by car, you don't need an import permit, only if you're arriving at an airport or sea port.

The problem is when the species falls under CITES as endangered/threatened; then it's a 60-90 day waiting period for a permit from the Fish & Wildlife Service. This includes pretty much all pet birds except budgies, cockatiels, and ring-necked parakeets.

So, rescue all the :derptiel: :derptiel: :derptiel: you can fit in your car! :parrot: