Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

Yeah conure poops are pretty easy to clean, unless you've been feeding them blueberries in which case hahahaha good luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
"No."

Battle Pigeon posted:

It decided to drop to 0C and snow out of nowhere today, and Ohtori doesn't know what to make of this. He was quite happy to sit on my hand and watch the snow fall, and look at the crows outside bath in it. So much for taking him/them outside to see autumn leaves this weekend.
Hah, was it Ohtori or another conure that got to frolic around in the snow a bit? Both my tiel (Cheeky) and my GCC (Sunny) love to stare outside at the rain instead, they instantly get all fluffy and mumbly.

Birrdddsss. :3:

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

"No."

It happens sometimes, I see bonded lovebirds suddenly being pissy with each other for a day or so, and I have no idea why. Probably Finn might have made some sounds she found irritating the previous day or they might have had their little bird squabbles or stuff like that. If it's a long term thing then it might be puberty or Marceline trying to claim you or something like that, but I think it's nothing much to worry about.

Also I went for another bird outing thing today, tired now so will post pictures tomorrow! :3:

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

"No."

Hi, here are the promised pictures!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/89318284@N05/sets/72157631877509107/

Too many of them and they're too large, so they're in Flickr instead.

Some teasers:

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

"No."

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

Eeee, is that a little Meyer's parrot?

--Oh, wait, I see from the tag it's a Ruppell's parrot. Wow. Very uncommon. Did you get to hang out with him/her?
Yup, he was cuddly as hell and really quiet, also his eyes are a orange now, but when he grows a bit older they'll turn red and he'll be the most evil parrot. :ohdear:

You might be right, someone else commented that it was a Ruppell's parrot, it might have been a Meyer's, I'm not sure. Most probably a Ruppell since he has more grey around his head, I guess? A bit difficult to tell since he is is wee babby. :v:

There's a picture of a sulphur crested in there, while I was taking the picture he was bobbing up and down and going BYYEEEEEEEE when people said hello to him.

Cockatoos. :3:

EDIT: Yeah definitely a Ruppell's parrot, here's a picture of him (younger) from his owner's Facebook page:

Deadly Chlorine fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Oct 29, 2012

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

"No."

Battle Pigeon posted:

Aww, he's got a cute little stump tail. I like the stand full of lovebirds, and the cockatoo is adorable of course.

Anyone got any idea of some other tricks I could teach to Ohtori? He knows step up, wave (which is really lifting his foot and clasping it around the end of his beak), turn around (spin), shake, and to ring a bell on a chain when I hold it and tell him Ring Ring for a bit of nut. He knows what Come Here means, but only responds to my partner. I'm not sure if he knows what Go Poop means, he gives us strange looks when we ask him, and he has done it a few times after hesitation but it could have been coincidence.

I think one of the most difficult, but impressive tricks for small birds is roll over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAiZFWagccc

Can't teach Sunny that without him biting the poo poo out of my fingers for now.
:saddowns:

EDIT: Ohtori is also flighted, right? You can teach him basic recall, flying to a perch and back to your hand for now. I think Carly Lu's flight blog is a good starter!

Deadly Chlorine fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 29, 2012

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

"No."

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

He doesn't seem to be! When I take pictures without the flash he usually ignores me and goes about his Important Conure Business. The moment a flash goes off, though, he zooms to my shoulder and starts mugging for the camera. I'm not sure if he thinks he's protecting me from an EVIL WICKED MONSTER or just aware that he'll be the center of my attention if he's clambering all over me during camera flashes, but it's adorable either way. :3:

They know. When I pull out my camera to take a picture of a cockatoo she started dancing and opening her crest, and conures will try to go as close as possible to it. Birds always want to be the center of attention. :3:

Man a lot of my friends' dream birds are like scarlet macaws, hyancinth macaws, palm cockatoos etc, but I'm a man of simple tastes, I just want a blue throated conure like Ohtori. :3:

Also a Quaker and Senegal and oh god i'm becoming a bird crazy

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

"No."

Indeed, when I saw his picture my heart just melted and I needed to have a blue throat conure. So adorable :3:

My friend keeps several lovebirds and they entertain each other pretty well, maybe you could look into keeping more than one small parrot? Though in your situation I would advise finches though. They can be tamed to like scratches and all that, my other friend has a bulbul and a canary and a whydah that will just chill on his hand, eat food and let him rub their heads. :3:

EDIT: Oh my god I cannot stand the adorableness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvRzAUNlXt0

I swear to god all ringnecks are born adorable and stay that way. They'll eat your finger, but still. :3:

Deadly Chlorine fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 30, 2012

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

"No."

Pretty sure this is conure.jpg

Seriously Sunny wants to eat EVERYTHING GO GO GO that I am eating, while Cheeky just runs away. :saddowns:

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

"No."

Also arguably the most important thing to look out for in a cage is bar spacing, if it's too large their heads might get stuck in between, which is very dangerous. Make sure only the conure's beak can fit through, or it's too big.

Oh yes, I've been thinking of getting my green cheek a happy hut, but I've heard stories where people's birds ate the lining or got trapped in a stray thread and died. Is this something I should be worrying about? :ohdear:

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

"No."

Padje posted:

having a snoozy

I wuv him
Words cannot describe how adorable this is, just sayin' :3: Also it is impossible to not wuv a conure unless you have no heart.

Also I was sleepy and finding pictures of sleepy birds to post on Google+, and I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSQmReDboYo

Yup horrifying dinosaur genes present in green cheek conures indeed. Then again I don't like being woken up early as well. :colbert:

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

"No."

Seriously Kaytee is the shittiest thing, it has the fake rear end colouring of Zupreem fruit blend but without the nutrition and tastyness. So terrible.

Harrison's and Zupreem seems to be the top two brands, I've seen some people here use Pretty Bird too, apparently it's pretty ok.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

"No."

Joe Don Baker posted:

How easy would it be to get a stubborn,spoiled 17 year old Grey converted to a pellet diet.
Depends on how picky he is actually, just dump a small amount of pellets in with his seed, see if he picks up on the fact that that is FOOD!!! first. Maybe get one of those small sample packs in case he really doesn't like them. I guess a seed+fruit+vegetables+nuts+misc food diet is pretty ok too. Maybe. :ohdear:

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

"No."

My conure just tugged the gently caress out of my mum's earrings and apparently it hurt quite a lot.

Just take them out, it's safer. :ohdear:

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

"No."

unprofessional posted:

Or if you have 50k, you can get a red one!

http://www.upatsix.com/chats/hand-fed-babies/topic111243.html

Our male grey just bit the poo poo out of my finger - slow and hard, not just a lunging bite. Hurt like a mother.

I can somehow never access anything from upatsix for some reason. Do they block everyone outside of the US? :smith:

For reals though greys are probably one of the more neurotic birds, probably less so than big cockatoos but still pretty bad. A lot of greys I see have a little patch of plucked feathers on their chest. Some will pretty much be the hardiest loving birds though, like I've seen greys who've gone through a few homes still act like the adorablest cuddlebug bird.

By the way, I have a question that me and a friend were talking about, her grey has a few patches of red feathers here and there. Is it a mutation or some lack of nutrition in his diet?

^^^Oh my god Amazons are the best bird, wait until she learns how to say GOOD MORNING!!!!! in that adorable Amazon voice every morning. :3:

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

"No."

Joe Don Baker posted:

A question for the other Grey owners: Is your Grey cuddly? We've had Hannah since he was a baby. He loves us and enjoys interacting with people, but he is far from cuddly. I can scratch his head, but I dare not touch any other part of his body. I don't know if that's typical behavior or not.
I think I know around 5 people who own greys, one is EXTREMELY cuddly and will put his head down as soon as someone looks at him to get cuddles, another will eye pin at any hand near her and bite hard, she's also a plucker. :smith: A few others are basically just your naughty intelligent parrot, they'll bite you whenever they feel like it. The most cuddly one I've seen is one that will go up to someone to snuggle beside them, like a conure. :3:

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

"No."

Oh my god there's an adorable hawk head parrot at a pet shop nearby! Must resist bringing him home... :ohdear:

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

"No."

Wizard of Smart posted:

SEND HIM TO ME!
NO I WOULD KEEP HIM FOR MYSELF

Seriously I'm sorely tempted to get that little guy, but I think I don't have time to care for another bird and the shop is also selling him for 1.5k. Not that expensive for a hawk head parrot but I better wait until I have a stable job and everything first.

Birds why must you be so adorable and irresistible :smith:

^^^My conure does this weird farty pfft squeaky noise that is hard to describe as well. Conures are weird. :3: Also YES angry conures are so squeaky and it would be hilarious if they weren't trying to tear off your skin at the same time. :saddowns:

Deadly Chlorine fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Nov 6, 2012

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

"No."

UPDATE

My friend bought the hawk head parrot at the store! So yesss I can probably pet him and take lots of pictures every week. So tame too, he's basically cuddling with anyone he can reach. :3:

(Also yes those are cages of toucans at the back)

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

"No."

I have no idea, since I personally don't know anyone who owns a toucan, but we live in a tropical country which is basically perfect for toucans I guess. Also the shop sells special pellets and foods for toucans, lorikeets and insectivores etc. Not sure about the nutrition quality of those foods though. :ohdear:

Hawk heads are pretty rarely seen in shops, so when someone posted a picture of this lil' guy in the shop everyone was basically pissing themselves and eventually one of them got it! :3: The more common birds sold here are the usual like lovebirds, canaries, pigeons, conures, cockatiels, macaws and cockatoos.

EDIT: Oh yes, that friend who bought him was the same guy with the Ruppell's parrot. :3:

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

"No."

Chaosfeather posted:

Oh man an Ivan cousin! Huzzah! You must provide pictures when you can, and I hope your friend was adequately warned about their tempers.

Yeah, everyone in our group is pretty ok with angry birds, which is why we have so many people with ringnecks and lovebirds. :3:

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

"No."

Captain Log posted:

Is that Bird Crazy in San Diego? When I was a traveling rep for a music company with the territory of 'Merica I quickly discovered bird shops to be good cheap fun.

Bird Crazy is the best!
Nah, it's a small shop in Singapore. And yes bird shops are the best, when I went to a friend's one she was boarding a cockatoo that would scream to make smaller birds fly down to the ground and then laugh hysterically with his crest open.

Cockatoos. :3:

Also, amazing cockatiel recovery story! A friend of mine took in an unweaned cockatiel who had gotten a pretty bad crop burn:
http://i.imgur.com/ScMuI.jpg (linked if people don't want to see a crop burned baby cockatiel)

After a few stitches and wearing this adorable thing to protect against infections:

She's finally almost fully recovered today!

Just look at that face, you know she's fine already. :3:

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

"No."

Yeah most probably, you can see small little feather shafts growing out already. Seriously ugh the old guy that bought the chick from her was very adamant that he knew how to handfeed a baby bird so she thought it was fine, then he caused a crop burn and refused to take the bird to the vet so she brought the cockatiel there on her own. Now the cockatiel is with the old guy's niece who is rightfully pissed at him, and already said that she wouldn't let him pull this kind of poo poo again.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

"No."

Yeah, as long as they aren't fighting 24/7 it is pretty normal, I think. Even the bestest of bestest friends lovebirds will fight once in a while. If there're aren't any major size differences between both of them it should be fine. And yeah, seconding taking out the nest box, it'll make her into a angry little butt. :ohdear:

Adorable picture of the day:

A friend's sun conure and parrotlet, they're the bestest friends and do this when it's almost time for bed every night. Sometimes the parrotlet sits on the conure's tail and rides around, shall ask him to take a video if it happens again one day! :3:

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

"No."

Hi, it was time for my weekly/biweekly bird outing again! Today's turnout wasn't that good because there was a Responsible Pet Ownership expo by AVA which a lot of other people went to instead, I didn't go because there were dogs and cats there and all my birds are tiny. :ohdear:

Select pictures:

Yes, that is the parrotlet riding on the conure's tail. Wasn't able to get a video though.
(Linking straight from my Flickr isn't hotlinking, I hope! If it is just tell me and I'll rehost them on imgur. :ohdear:)

And here's the rest of the album!

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

"No."

The more important thing is that it isn't fleece or something which tend to have stray threads, since if their toenails get trapped in a thread it might be very dangerous.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

"No."

My cockatiel, Cheeky, refused to eat anything other than millet and pellets until that day I brought him out with all the lovebirds and other birds on that stand, and he started eating long beans and sweet peas when he saw them doing so as well. So peer pressure, I guess? :3:

Pretty sure conures will eat anything though, I think if I died in my house alone he would eat my entire corpse eventually

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

"No."

Pile of Kittens posted:

Novolo is much better. The vet looked her over and took some blood and pronounced her reasonably healthy. The tech did an awesome job of making sure we knew about basic bird care (and was particularly impressed that we knew things about nutrition and behavior - apparently there's a lot of seed diet birds that come in). On Saturday we will know how the cultures came out, and we have been duly chastened to not let her have any dairy at all, no matter what acrobatics she accomplishes to get to it. I've been scared straight and I won't be letting her lick my yogurty spoon any more.

Thanks for putting up with my histrionic hourly posts, guys. Looks like we're out of the woods.

Yeah, birds can't digest dairy properly so it probably wasn't life threatening, but it's great that you brought her to the vet! Thank god Novolo is fine. :3:

Also here's a gift, a video of my friend's parrotlet doing a sexy dance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsZGwOSuwIw

Whoever said in the Gabriel Foundation thread that parrots are like soap opera actors are right, the parrotlet loves the yellow lovebird, but she doesn't like him and is a lesbian lover of another green lovebird, which in turn has a love hate relationship with my conure, who has a sort of on-off relationship with another guy's quaker.

Parrots. :3:

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

"No."

Oh my god cockatiels are weird, I just did a very through cleaning of their cages today, and Cheeky just stood there for five minutes screaming at his cage. :stare:

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

"No."

Oh my god Amaya those are awesome! I would commission one, but shipping costs and everything are going to make it an insane hassle. Especially love the green cheek preening tail one. :3:

mjs6643 posted:

I always love how the bin o' budgies is like constant drama and then when I see the cage of cockatiels at the good bird store they're just sort of sitting there or waddling around in circles being all like "dis is fun! :derptiel:'
Nah, I saw a cage of cockatiels at a pet store and one was happily eating an apple slice from a bowl and another tiel just came along and kicked it right in the face. :stare:

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

"No."

How old is he, and is he pecking at seeds? Usually breeders that sell young birds will advise you to continue handfeeding, but if his weight is consistent and he's eating stuff, it should be fine to stop if he doesn't want to eat baby formula.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

"No."

Oh god I'm so sorry. It is definitely not your fault, when Cassian died he was already wasting away for two days, there's no chance that anything you could have done killed him.

poo poo, I just don't know what to say. :smith:

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

"No."

uglynoodles posted:

I found this guy I had this horrendous experience with on Preloved... It's why I'm hesitant to try again this way and want the comfort of a 14 day guarantee.
I will consider though. It very much depends on the shops. There's a local shop that has hand-feds in so I will have a look and see what kind of condition they're in before I commit to anything.

£300 is a bit out of my price range at the moment! I'm looking for around £150-ish. I will ask if he'll sell without the cage. It isn't fair to ask for more than that this year, I feel.

Thanks~~~

edit: Nah he won't sell just the bird. The search continues. :)
Have you tried looking in the local columns about pet adoption and sale? Some people have to give up their parrot (most common are usually budgies, cockatiels, lovebirds and sometimes conures) and you might be able to work something out with them. Sometimes they don't give their pets to rescues because they're afraid they'll get euthed or whatever.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

"No."

Wozbo posted:

Green cheeks are pretty seriously quiet unless something is startling them or they feel lonely.
Yeah, but holy god if they decide to scream it's a really grating sound, not like the trills that cockatiels make. But yeah, they're generally cute little hyperactive, quiet lizards. :3:

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

"No."

Pip pip pip posted:

I am the worst bird owner today. I uncovered Ozzy this morning and he immediately started FREAKING OUT. So I am looking out the window wondering if a big bird flew by or what... Nope, I forgot that I put a new box within sight of his cage last night :ughh: Birds.
Birds indeed. :3:

Iroh is an awesome name, name him/her Iroh! Oh my god black capped conures are cuddly and awesome too, they're basically like green cheek conures but a little smaller. :3:

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

"No."

Amaya posted:

Hey guys, zomo and I are working on a little project... I thought you would like to see our protagonist!

Oh my god this is amazing :3:

Cheeky has his wing feathers growing asymmetrically too, IDK why but I see that with a lot of cockatiels. I think they're just derpy at growing feathers too. :downs:

Yeah for small birds an all seed diet isn't feasible, since most of the seed mixes are packed with millet and other fatty stuff. Maybe what the breeder means is that feeding fresh foods is better than an all pellet diet?

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

"No."

Haha conures are always like that, I only catch mine playing with his toys if I'm peeking around the corner and he can't see me. They just act like complete angels in their cage so you'll let them out.

By the way, a Taiwanese gal posted her Youtube videos in our bird group thing on Facebook:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhZc_rF0Vlo

Those are very adorable cockatoos. :3:

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

"No."

Yeah I wouldn't dare let a pet bird really fly around like that, but I guess it's a culture thing, in Asia it's more common to leave your pet parrot fully flighted. There are a lot of accidents so I don't dare to risk it though. But it's a lot safer for big birds, most of the lost pet reports I have are for smaller birds like cockatiels or conures. :smith:

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

"No."

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

Cockatiels have the same power. My mom is a bit spooked by birds but I have to do a FaceTime call at least once a week so she can say hi to Ellie
Yeah my mom was acting all I DON'T LIKE COCKATIELS I ONLY LIKE CONURES but when Cheeky did his first whistle she was so excited she text messaged me to tell me. :3:

Bah I've seen many birds go due to crop burn, it's a horrible, horrible way to go. A friend of mine did manage to fix up a little cockatiel with crop burn, like literally a hole in her chest, and now she's doing fine in a large cage with other cockatiels. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

"No."

RaspberryCommie posted:

Where do you guys usually pick up pellet foods and how much are they? My local pet store only carries seed mixes (four different brands! While they have three entire aisles devoted only to different dog foods)

I get my quakers fresh fruit now and then, but this thread has me worried about the fat content of seeds.
Ahhh yeah seed mixes are actually quite fattening. The majority of their diets should be the fresh fruit and veggies, not seed mixes which often contain a shitload of millet and sunflower seeds. It won't kill them if they have plenty of exercise and are still weighing near the healthy quaker weight, but it's still a bit healthier to get them pellets. Maybe ask if your store will make a special order for you, some of them will!

Most people here are feeding either Zupreem or Harrison's pellets, this one is Fruitblend, one of the more popular pellets. However they are too colourful for some people, so you can either spring for Zupreem Natural Premium or Harrison's. Not too sure about which Harrison's food to use though, since I can't find them over here. Personally I use the fruitblend ones which I buy at a local bird orientated store and they seem to be enjoying them enough.

Maybe you can try ordering individual bags or bags in bulk which you freeze, I'm not sure about this. :smith: