Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
The larger the better. Try not to stay too vertical (think cube like is best), as I notice there's not a lot of room to make the bottom half interesting (I'm experimenting with this guys, I'll have a trip report later).

Things a conure will like:

Bells.
Happy hut.
Preening toy.
Oversized food and water bowls (especially water for getting good splashin and bathin on).
A "landing pad". The top part of my cage has a huge fold down that acts like a landing pad. HE LOVES THIS. Flies to it when he needs to poop, if we are in the room and he's hungry he'll get food, dip it in water, and then go up on it and be social while eating.
Think about one or two small external branches if the cage is nearby where you sit. I have a small concrete branch he uses to jump off and fly to me that's not by where the landing pad is. He's more comfy jumping off of that than the cage itself.

Other thing to note:
Get a computer plastic pad (the ones that prevent all sorts of wheel fuckery) and put the cage on top of that. You're gonna have poops up to 4 - 5 inches away from any edge of the cage, and this will make cleanup easier unless you are on some plastic tile. Ajax + water cuts up even the most caked on bird poops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
My green loves only the medium size green happy huts (they look like one size too big). I noticed he'd pick at one side (preening?), but once I got a preening toy that stopped. Also, make sure to snip the tag as low to the fabric as possible.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Apparently one of my neighbors also own a green cheek. What do you guys suggest to do for a birdie playdate? How would I go about introducing the birds?

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Daemon loves his happy hut :( So torn on whether or not I should remove it since he's had it since he's been a baby bird (I've replaced one to wear and tear though)

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
If I eat it, it is sweet sweet ambrosia until otherwise notified.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

SaNChEzZ posted:

I thought Novolo was a 'tiel, either way, I hope she gets better :ohdearsass:

Ritz has still been sneezing in the morning, way more often than usual. However, he doesnt sneeze at all throughout the day. I called the vet, they said it could be allergies, or it could be a sinus infection or something else. HIs nose looks normal, he's not blowing out any discharge or wheezing at all, and he's actually gained 3 grams since Monday, piggy.

The vet charges around $220 for visit/culture or $120ish for gram stain and visit. I don't want to spend the money if I don't have to obviously, what would bird crazies do?

Just thought about this.. When he makes the kiss sound, he makes it with his nose I think, so he may just be doing it because he knows that when I'm half asleep I'll sit up and look him if he sneezes. If that's the case :argh:

Did he take a bath? Sometimes its that.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Conures learn what bite is too hard.

Then randomly decide to bite too hard.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Just so we're clear, he's not sleeping on his back is he? If not, I'm so sorry :(

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Green cheeks are pretty seriously quiet unless something is startling them or they feel lonely.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Any time I move anywhere, Daemon slips into my shirt and has his head popping out like he's wearing it.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
I'm jealous :( I want a potty trained bird and all I get is not being pooped on on the shoulders.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Yeah, this is bog standard for the first few months, unfortunately.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
You're lucky (in a sense). I can't get my guy to STOP CUDDLING IN AWKWARD PLACES. Its always a place where I would move except bird.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Bird shirt time?

Yep, bird shirt time.

(He does this on his own constantly)

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

Pip pip pip posted:

I don't have any good advice, Horn of Arby's, but good luck :( Maybe family can help you out?

Today we made the mistake of introducing Ozzy to popcorn. He proceeded to gleefully shred it up and spread it EVERYWHERE. It's in my hair, it's all over the couch. :gonk:

This is approximately correct for all conures.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Incidentally, every story I've ever heard about GCCs/their owners indicates that the bird, the person, or both fall in love at first sight, the sort of love that moves mountains and sets the air afire. Could be confirmation bias, but I prefer to chalk it up to the fact that conures are goddamn magical.

This is actually an AOE attack. Totally hits local family members too. My father (who lives two hours away) has a dislike for ALL animals (too dirty disease carrying etc) and loves this little dude.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Balcony as in outside? IF so, you should really consider indoors, as predator animals can and will attack your new friend through the cage bars.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

Frozenfries posted:

Oh it's not completely outside, it's quite a large balcony and sheltered, so there's no risk of predators. It's pretty much right at the entrance to the balcony where she can see in and is about an arms reach from where I sit at my computer. I do often move the cage inside though in the day, so she can look around when she doesn't want to hop out of the cage.

I'm just warning you now: If its exposed to the outside (as in something wild could POSSIBLY get in), some predator can and will get in, and get your bird. I'm not going to dig up any nightmare fuel (this does exist, and I'd rather not look at it again), but suffice to say, raccoons and hawks will get your bird even if its a huge flight cage just by being fast enough.

E: I hate being "that guy," but I'd rather everyone be safe.

Wozbo fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 7, 2013

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
No problemo. I actually have my little dude's cage sitting about 2 feet away from my PC setup on its own plastic pad. It has the secondary benefit of making him extra calm while I'm gaming (as he can see me and then play with his toys and not be ohgodscared of every really wierd noise).

If you're worried about mess, the goto advice is to get one of those big plastic computer mats and put it under the cage. Makes for easy cleanup and the bird shouldn't get any poops on anything else (some water and soap will melt it off in < 5 minutes). Of course this requires you to get a good berth around the cage, and I dunno how big your cage is.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Bird Crazies, would the Celestial Seasonings Chamomile Tea be safe for parrots?

This is the one:
http://www.celestialseasonings.com/products/herbal-teas/chamomile

Or should I stick 100% to all natural?

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
That's what they say. Just wanted to know if anyone else has used prepackaged stuff or if there's something like "The machinery might introduce <foo>."

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Lookit all dem pin feathers. You need to interact more. That bird is probably itchy as all hell.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
The last one looks like he could be a bottle opener.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

Pile of Kittens posted:

Oh my god, I need to see a video of Ohtori rolling over to kick his little birdy feet in tiny birdy rage. :kimchi:

edit omg double post I DONT EVEN CARE

Seconding this. I want to see something akin to a toddler having a tantrum in conure form.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
That's standard conure behavior right there.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
My bird likes, of all things, watching Mythbusters sitting on someone's raised knee.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Might be a "When it fails it fails spectacularly" thing.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Oh god, I'm imagining the slowest hoverfly with that too.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
That's my GCC alarm noise at the start.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
My GCC dealing with new pellets
:derptiel:: What these arent my horrible petstore $5/ tonne shitbrand pellets! I shall not eat!
:): Well ok I'll just eat them (pretend om nom nom)
:derptiel:: GIVE ME THOSE PELLETS

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
If there's one thing I miss about budgies, its how you can tell they are having a HEATED ARGUMENT.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Just a warning: Conures are the bird version of velcro. You will not be able to detach the loving once it starts.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Progress report from pellet switching:

So I went from the lovely kaytee fruibrand that Daemon was originally hooked on (smelled bad, too many company recalls) to a Zupreem diet.

Specifically:

http://www.wag.com/bird/p/zupreem-fruitblend-medium-large-birds-118188

and

http://www.wag.com/bird/p/zupreem-natural-diet-medium-large-birds-118053

(I'm not buying from here, just the first thing google just turned up). I mix them roughly 50/50.

Those are the correct sizes. Previously he was eating the super small parakeet sized pellets AKA dust size. For the first two weeks I had to mix in some of the dust size pellets while he figured out how to eat the larger pellets (Hilariously, he would take one bite then drop the rest of the pellet). After pretending to love it a few times, he's taken to it 100%, including proper conure "Hold the food and gnaw it down from every direction." Each week he's picked a new color to try and find out it's not poison. Now he eats everything except one very small pellet type, which I'm expecting will be discovered to also be food in the next week or so. Just so happy he's not doing the whole "Starving myself stupid" thing.

E: Are there any good tabletop playgyms that can work for a conure? I've only seen parakeet sized ones or the standalone super expensive ones with the tray at the bottom.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Yeah, any color in the food goes straight to the poops.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Conures are the bird version of velcro. Just sayin.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
I'm in the same boat, my little guy is actually nippy and noisy when he wants to go back (in a way that's different than normal). Its awesome!

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

zbeezy posted:

He's mine now and we are adjusting to being friends pretty easily. He's sitting on my lap being cute.

Be extremely careful with cats. The saliva is as deadly as a chomp to birds iirc. I wouldn't risk all too much interaction, and definitely supervised forever if you aren't gonna listen to that.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Bird Crazies: Conure Cuddle Counter-ops

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Basically, I started training by holding a seed inside the cage, and when they are going inside, saying "Insiiiiide" followed by a "Goooood biiiiird" and seed. I did it long enough now that I can do Inside as long as I'm holding (haha, he knows better when I'm not) a seed. He also sometimes goes right back out and when I say "nononononon" he goes back in. Smart little poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

Eejit posted:

Is it like a shiver? My bird does that when he is extra comfy and then you pet him in a way that is even more comfy. It's like he's trying to snuggle harder and wants you to know.

Man, my little guy does that, but every so often does little wing flaps. Absolutely adorkable.