Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Amaya posted:

I'm really wanting to get the birds started on recall training but everywhere I've read says that clickers are basically necessary. I've found some places online that sell them but they're so cheap that I can't see the point in getting them shipped...I have something that makes the 'clicker' noise (it's a little half sphere with a smilie face on it that has a clicker inside) and was wondering if that would work? They just need a consistant noise right?

Alternatively, is there anywhere I could just go to and buy one at? We have a pet smart and pet co but I've never seen any there? Then again I didn't look in dog or cat sections...

You can grab one in the dog section for like $1.99 or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
You all need Senegal Parrots. They are the best. Charlie's new hobby is to perch on top of a chair in front of the cockatiel cages and say "Archer" and "Ellie" and make cockatiel noises until Archer gets pissed and then he laughs at him.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I was at a bird store that had an Amazon that looked at me and said "Pick Me Up!" so I picked him up and he bit me, hopped back onto his perch and just kept saying "LOL"

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Archer loves to rip my glasses off and throw them, Elle will nibble on them, and Charlie will try to break them with his furious poicephalus powers if given half the chance.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I always buy the wood toys rated for Amazons for Charlie because he destroys anything smaller in a day

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Instead of a grey you should consider the Senegal Parrot. It's their smaller, greener cousin.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Deadly Chlorine posted:

Nah, it's a small shop in Singapore. And yes bird shops are the best, when I went to a friend's one she was boarding a cockatoo that would scream to make smaller birds fly down to the ground and then laugh hysterically with his crest open.

Cockatoos. :3:

Also, amazing cockatiel recovery story! A friend of mine took in an unweaned cockatiel who had gotten a pretty bad crop burn:
http://i.imgur.com/ScMuI.jpg (linked if people don't want to see a crop burned baby cockatiel)

After a few stitches and wearing this adorable thing to protect against infections:

She's finally almost fully recovered today!

Just look at that face, you know she's fine already. :3:

Will her chest feathers grow back?

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I think the Cockatiel Caucus has meetings to determine when to molt because all four of the tiels started molting last week at the exact same time and now I have enough feathers to make like two backup tiels.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

They say human flesh tastes like pork. Those conures are just warming up.

Charlie has repeatedly tried running off with bacon, bratwurst, and other pork products. :ohdear:

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I broke my birds. Archer and Charlie have been warking at each other all afternoon, by which I mean they've just been saying "wark" to each all afternoon.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
All birds love glasses. They also love keyboards. Why is a total mystery to us simpleminded humans.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I like how bird instinct mostly works by apparently they're :derptiel: enough that there's no circuit for "Were you seduced by the enchanting call of a male cockatiel? (Y/N)

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Outside of their 12-2 warking session the cockatiels don't really do much during the day either. Charlie will chew on some of his wood toys but mostly sits on his perch and talks to himself or teases the cockatiels.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Poor Steve and Ohtori. Will they ever surmount the taboos of a same-sex interspecies relationship and give in to their love for each other?

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Black cappeds are very similar to green cheeks. The only differences I know of are that they're a bit smaller than green cheeks and I guess some of them talk in their sleep.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Charlie says hi

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
One of Archer would kick rear end since he loves to pose and have his ego stroked.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

SaNChEzZ posted:

There were budgies at the pet store with pink heads, my girlfriend and I were like WTFFFFFF

Turns out they had just been sitting beneath the calcium chew while other budgies were munchin' on it, dropping pink dust onto them :(

And all of their little feet were pink from holding the stuff :3:

I always love how the bin o' budgies is like constant drama and then when I see the cage of cockatiels at the good bird store they're just sort of sitting there or waddling around in circles being all like "dis is fun! :derptiel:'

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Sounds like Archer's long lost brother

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I'm sorry uglynoodles. :smithcloud:

But it isn't your fault. I think something was up because the fact he was selling you an unweaned baby seems kind of weird.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Why'd the bad breeder have to drag an innocent derpatiel into this? :smithcloud:

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Charlie has discovered a new class of sounds to make. He now sometimes make moaning noises that sound like some wild crazy Poicephalus sex noises whenever I'm in the room and he wants my attention.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Bubbles is making the same sort of warks that Hunter makes when he's on top of the cage and worried that Archer is going to fly over and beat the crap out of him.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Yep, that's cockatiel sex. It shouldn't be too much of an issue because cockatiels will often mate for the hell of it and not produce eggs because of some mechanism I don't really understand.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I bet I could get Hunter to wear a pair, but I'd feel really bad since he's enough of a ball of anxiety and derp as it is.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Cockatiels have the same power. My mom is a bit spooked by birds but I have to do a FaceTime call at least once a week so she can say hi to Ellie

Shark Sandwich fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 5, 2013

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
The other cool thing about doing FaceTime is that the tiels get really curious about it. Anais is always getting in the way because she learned that things happen when she pecks the screen so she's obsessed with my iPad.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I just get the Zupreem FruitBlend pellets on Drs. Fosters & Smith and get one of those Goldenfeast mixes for the tiels since they don't like veggies unless they're crunchy. Charlie gets the same brand pellets but fresh veggies. Only seeds they get are from Nutriberries.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I thought chocolate was straight up toxic to birds?

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Ah, okay. That makes way more sense. Unrelated, I'm having dinner with Charlie and I noticed he always pulls the skin off of his peas before eating them. Also, I gave him a little piece of a sesame seed bagel the other day and he tried to hull every little seed. What a weirdo.

Shark Sandwich fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 8, 2013

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, budgies and tiels are low maintenance and derpy enough that I consider my tiels more as a unit than a group of 4 birds.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

I've read that greys are particularly into mimicking rude bodily noises. I have no idea if it's true, but I'm ready to believe it.

I don't know about greys but Charlie loves making fart noises and sneezing noises.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Chili posted:

OK, I may be going full blown bird crazy now. I think... I want a third cockatiel. I certainly have a big enough cage to support three, at this point, there's really not much more difficulty to just adding another.

Here's my thing though, I've got a boy and a girl right now, and they're close. Bubbles is the boy, he's been pretty neurotic and people avoidant from day 1 (he's better now, but still not great), but Kima, the girl has been a scratch fiend and is totally chill.

I don't know if a third bird would disrupt their balance. The last thing I want is a bird war on my hands. I've looked in the book that I have and have done some research but I can't seem to find much on an introducing one new bird to two. Anyone have any experience/suggestions on this? If I did shoot to get another, would I be correct in my assumption that another male would be more likely to cause trouble than another female?

I'm not totally set on adding a new bird, and I'd only do it if it's not likely to end in a feather fight. I'd also like for them to not mind coming out and hanging on my desk perch with me while I'm writing. So I don't quite want to become uninteresting to them.

And that will be it! NO MORE BIRDS AFTER THAT ONE.

It would depend on the personality of the third derp. Hunter wasn't an issue when I added him because Elle is too much of a sweetheart to get into bird fights and Hunter is such a derp that Archer just sees him as another bird to keep in line.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
When I came home last night instead of making weird shrieks Charlie got all excited and said "Did you miss me!?"

The tiels on the other hand angrily warked until I went into the computer room, said hello, and walked out.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Awww geez. I saw the title and saw the cover and I'm already all :smith:. I feel bad enough as it is that Charlie is by himself in a different room than the tiels and will never do normal flock stuff or find a mate.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
My tiels all start warking when they hear running water. I think it's an instinctual thing since they live in a pretty arid climate and bounce around between water sources. And with the scritches Anais gets mad if I offer scritches and then realizes she likes them. Archer on the other hand will just start rubbing his head against my hand until I pet him. Hunter doesn't care either way and Elle will perch on the palm of my hand, bow her head, and just patiently wait for them.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I get the feeling Buffy was ready to throw down

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Battle Pigeon posted:

It's been about 14 months since we first became parrot owners, yet only today have we had our first destroyed cable. We found Steve sitting on a chair tucked under the table, halfway through a Kindle cable. Ohtori generally doesn't have the patience to sit and work on something if it isn't instantly showing signs of damage, but Steve is steady and methodical with his little nibbles.

She's beautiful! :3:

They may be derps, but they're nothing if not persistent when it comes to cables and headphones.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, once I left the room to use the bathroom and I came back two minutes later and Archer and Elle had ripped at least 2/3 of the keys off my keyboard. The worst is when they know they shouldn't be chewing on something so they'll be all cute and suddenly run to the keyboard, headphones whatever and try to do as much damage before you pick them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I bet he'd probably start laughing after he bit the crap out of you too.